List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d have a look at Nathan freeman as a dfa if the medical confirms the surgery last year rectified the hamstring issues

Has speed- lots of upside to be realized still
He has definitely lost some speed in the few games we saw him play, but I agree he is a player with huge upside and I am buggered if I know why Saints didn't persist with him for at least another 12 months given the investment they had in him..

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
I’d have a look at Nathan freeman as a dfa if the medical confirms the surgery last year rectified the hamstring issues

Would only want us to consider him for a rookie spot if at all, and if we're to add one more DFA would rather see it be used to address all the games experience we have lost this trade period.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

Mate, he was super agile as a kid but has sadly lost a lot of that now.

For mine I wouldn’t mind bringing back Townsend if we have a spot. He’s not quick but is a nice depth player and his body is reliable.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels

Need to get injury prone blokes off the list not add to the problem.

Very surprised Delidio survived.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Hill, who is a second cousin to Fremantle pair Stephen and Bradley Hill, was touted as a possible top-five pick at the beginning of 2018 but did not reach those heights this year. The premiers don't enter the draft until pick No.20 but Hill is considered a chance to still be available, although Port Adelaide (pick 15) and Greater Western Sydney (pick 19) have also shown interest, and Fremantle (pick 14) also have been linked to the small forward.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-08/draft-prospect-hills-slide-may-be-west-coasts-gain

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

Also from the same article it would appear that Briggs will likely cost us our mid 20 pick
The Crows have four selections in the first 21 picks (No.8, 13, 16 and 21) and could also look to bolster their ruck stocks, with GWS academy prospect Kieren Briggs tipped to attract an early bid. Rivals believe the Giants could look to trade up in the draft from their current position at No.19 to ensure they don't need to use their third top-20 pick to match a bid on the bullocking big man and instead match a bid with later picks.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-08/draft-prospect-hills-slide-may-be-west-coasts-gain

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Fox sports afl phantom draft has us going with
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/2ab53b0749929a58f5d430e71d6d8605

PICK 10: GWS GIANTS — JORDAN CLARK
PICK 13: GWS GIANTS — RILEY COLLIER-DAWKINS
PICK 19: GWS GIANTS — KIEREN BRIGGS (MATCHING ACADEMY BID)

Also from the live chat

Matt Balmer
Has GWS spoken to RCD, Stocker and Clark or is the connection just being purely off of a needs basis?
Yes they have spoken to those three

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Also from the same article it would appear that Briggs will likely cost us our mid 20 pick

From what I can find of him it seems we should do whatever it takes. Hopefully we can get some long term careers from guys like Briggs, Perryman, Shipley, TOJ and Cumming. I think we will now the shrinking phase is over.

Doubt he'll play for a year at least, but he looks the complete big man package.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr

Clubs realise we have to Match any reasonable bid for Briggs, otherwise the whole academy program to provide us with local talent is questioned. I think that means an earlier bid than is probably fair will be made on Briggs. I think it would be hard to trade, unless we did 19,25 for geelongs 12 and 50 odd.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
The chat is he’s very different aka a weirdo.
Sounds fine. Good teams have a mix of personalities.

If there’s some specific issue like a refusal to contemplate areas for improvement or being quick to anger or whatever then sure.

However “weirdo” sounds like a high school diss for the kid who will most likely end up studying engineering.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Sounds fine. Good teams have a mix of personalities.

If there’s some specific issue like a refusal to contemplate areas for improvement or being quick to anger or whatever then sure.

However “weirdo” sounds like a high school diss for the kid who will most likely end up studying engineering.

I think consensus is he is better staying in WA. He came out and said he wants to go to a Melbourne team and that he is a footy head.

I remember one of our guys saying they tend to steer clear of the footy head types as they can be much harder to manage in Sydney.

I LOVE Bailey Smith in terms of his specs but he would be an unmitigated disaster by the sounds of his very eccentric all in footy lifestyle.

The article on him yesterday was a massive red flag to any interstate team, and frankly made him look like a very odd OCD person that was pushing way too hard.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I think consensus is he is better staying in WA. He came out and said he wants to go to a Melbourne team and that he is a footy head.

I remember one of our guys saying they tend to steer clear of the footy head types as they can be much harder to manage in Sydney.

I LOVE Bailey Smith in terms of his specs but he would be an unmitigated disaster by the sounds of his very eccentric all in footy lifestyle.

The article on him yesterday was a massive red flag to any interstate team, and frankly made him look like a very odd OCD person that was pushing way too hard.
Are you talking about Hill or Smith?

Point stands either way for me I think.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

Certainly remember Caruso saying that in the past, and on the flip side he has also said that they rate guys who show the strength of character to get over hardship such as injury setbacks as they see it as a sign they are more likely to be able to deal with homesickness or when things aren't going as well as they would like.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Certainly remember Caruso saying that in the past, and on the flip side he has also said that they rate guys who show the strength of character to get over hardship such as injury setbacks as they see it as a sign they are more likely to be able to deal with homesickness or when things aren't going as well as they would like.
This certainly makes sense to me. Its a tough conundrum

If im honest im a little concerned we arent going to draft a player who has a 2019 impact. I think one of those top selections needs to fill a role and be ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back