2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

For all of those wondering about Bont:
0408839e86330ac5d87bb389dcf60e86.jpg

Bont is Sunshine Bunnings.

a0fc40df787ba88f07b31f48caf92f63.jpg

The new haircut yesterday.

Now for all of those wondering about some of our seniors starting training early (in particular to those who were in Portugal and one who according to some of you is still in Portugal)....

0515932e24306140fbef2d500e6d4a32.jpg

Luke was there yesterday.

fde3fcf9450e2b8d9227708dd959672e.jpg

200c694f9d71b792cead0dcfe0b9147d.jpg

Clay and Libba were with him too.

f810a0f965b8e9b85a6ee87c1d1da5f1.jpg

Lukas was back into it on the 27th October

bf2f75ee675605af6caa6d077a88ac9e.jpg

Oh and look, Luke was with him too.

I hope some of you can sleep easy now with this photographic proof.

Last edited:

Anyone else hear Terry Wallets review of our list on SEN this evening? Basically he feels we are too tall, our out's far out way our in's, we have no goal scorers and can't be trusted...... Has us sliding in 2018, and the OX agreed...... Premiership guaranteed :)

It is no use being delusional we do have too many talls on our list. Thankfully we were able to persuade Cloke to retire. We have
Roughead who is a reasonable ruckman and Ok key back
T Boyd who is a reasonable ruckman and OK key forward
Campbell who is a reasonable ruckman and poor forward
English who at this stage is a poor ruckman and poor forward, will get better with time
Trengrove who is a poor ruckman and a reasonable key back and forward
Adams who is reasonable key back
Cordy who is reasonable key back and a fill in forward
Roberts who is an average back
Redpath who is an average key forward
Collins who is a young key back, average at best
Young who is a young key back, but very promising
Schache who is young key forward, but promising.

over 25% of our list, where we would only play half at any one time.
Of the above Roughead, Cordy, Trengrove and Adams have proved they can play consistently at AFL level.
Boyd obviously was enormous over 3 weeks in September however has major question mark over consistency. Schache fingers crossed, the rest young or unreliable.

It is no use being delusional we do have too many talls on our list. Thankfully we were able to persuade Cloke to retire. We have
English who at this stage is a poor ruckman and poor forward, will get better with time

Of the above Roughead, Cordy, Trengrove and Adams have proved they can play consistently at AFL level.
Boyd obviously was enormous over 3 weeks in September however has major question mark over consistency. Schache fingers crossed, the rest young or unreliable.

Hawthorn had 12 talls on their list in 2013 when they won the premiership. And that's without including Gunston, Stratton, Litherland and Kelly who are all 190cm or above. I left off Gibson and Cheney as well who played key position at times but are under 190cm.

Last edited:

Normally we are short on talls [ hmmm, is that the way to express it ? ha, ha]. I seem to recall a short [ there's that word again] period, about 15-20 years back when we had a fair number of talls, [many of who were not all that much chop admittedly], we also had a big [?] problem with injuries among them, so even thought they were on our list, we still had trouble fielding a tall enough spine of much quality most weeks. Hopefully we can keep enough on the park this year, to be able to compete in the air. We should also now have competition each week for our key positions in the 22.
People have often complained about our lack of talls, and also screamed blue murder when we haven't drafted enough talls, or we keep picking up "jockeys and dwarfs" in the drafts. Boy, can the Club win here ?

Without looking up stats, my impression is that the Dons usually seem to have heaps on their list, and it doesn't seem to bother them much.

In 2016 we had more talls on ground regularly than we did in 2017, does that say something regarding comparative season's outcomes ?

I don't doubt that if the squad balance is to heavily weighted to talls [ and I'm not necessarily convinced of that yet], we will doubtless weed out the lower performing ones at seasons end. In the interim we can try playing with a full compliment of marking players in both the F50, and B50, and see if that doesn't make us competitive once more.

One thing I think that is important and maybe understated on here is the fact footballs are being used so much this early in our preseason. From memory last year and the year before players were doing mostly fitness work and laps, so I am pleased to see the footy is out much earlier this year and as a result, I expect our skills to be sharper earlier in the season.

One thing I think that is important and maybe understated on here is the fact footballs are being used so much this early in our preseason. From memory last year and the year before players were doing mostly fitness work and laps, so I am pleased to see the footy is out much earlier this year and as a result, I expect our skills to be sharper earlier in the season.
Was thinking this, back in the maccas years we never used to get the footys out til after Christmas. Had em out day 1 this year which is great

Rest of the group joins in the fun tomorrow, Matty Innes mentioning on Twitter it's a closed session. Gonna be another 'fun' preseason with minimal open sessions me thinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red certainly an interesting one considering he's a fringe player and likely not best 22 but clearly he must have a strong presence around the group.

I find it strange that the playing group makes all these decisions. Some maybe, but not all. Surely Jack McCrae or Mitch Wallis deserve to be there ahead of some of these guys??

I find it strange that the playing group makes all these decisions. Some maybe, but not all. Surely Jack McCrae or Mitch Wallis deserve to be there ahead of some of these guys??

I’d imagine jack in particular is happy just to play

Just a theory but Red the rep for the more fun loving guys in the team? Important to have someone in the formal leadership group that also is inner sanctum in that clique?

Maybe they're over represented with JJ and Hunter there too :)

Just a theory but Red the rep for the more fun loving guys in the team? Important to have someone in the formal leadership group that also is inner sanctum in that clique?

I suspect that it is recognition of the oft mentioned notion that he is a great clubman who has the respect of his peers across the board.

Now if Shiggsy was added to the leadership group you'd probably be onto something...

Someone who has the guts, tenacity and skill that Libba has....especially in the big moments of a game...you'd think that he would want his peers to value him highly. But it seems he is wired differently where he doesn't care for what is normal. A pity because it is a team game and I would love that his peers would think of him as captain material.

I'm expecting us to have a very good year if he can regain the fitness and enjoyment that would allow him to operate with fluidity in a constrictive football world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back