Prediction 2018 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

That's pretty good effort for a forward. He did play a good game.

No doubting Witherden didn't have one of his best games of the year. But he averages 425m gained per game across the whole season, with multiple games over 600m and 700m gained... he is 12th in the whole league for meters gained.

I find this an interesting comparison (Witherden vs Hurn), both play very similar roles and yet one is in AA contention and the other is getting criticised by some (mostly Collingwood fans) on this thread:

View attachment 542725

It would be interesting to see if Stephenson can be compared as well to players in his position who are in AA contention...?

;)

The tears are going to be delicious when Stevo wins, can't wait to see him in a big final while Witherden is on holidays.

He's been fine in his second season...No better or worse than McGrath in fact.

The point is that the award is based on last season alone.....And Burton was the dominant candidate rather easily.....Which indicates that other criteria not mentioned are also considered (Including politics).
I disagree. Not much between them. Of course you will favour your player. It ain’t a howler and after Burton got dropped with his form dropping away it now looks more like the correct decision.

Burton was the stand-out player last season & had McGrath covered in almost every single category, barr pissy little 2 meter handballs.....Still didn't stop all the pundits pushing for McGrath on all the footy shows & getting their man over the line, in spite of all the stats to the contrary.
They got it right, McGrath is better than Burton.

The tears are going to be delicious when Stevo wins, can't wait to see him in a big final while Witherden is on holidays.

God that phrase is so painful and played out.

Anyway, I can't imagine that there's going to be that much uproar about the decision to be honest. Most people realise that Stephenson is in the box seat to win it.

I reckon it's time they included finals also....Worpedo would fly in under the radar to gazump the both of em, I reckon.;):p

I disagree. Not much between them. Of course you will favour your player. It ain’t a howler and after Burton got dropped with his form dropping away it now looks more like the correct decision.

Burton's stats were far superior to McGraths & all the other 3 main contenders, it wasn't funny....Just below AA standard in fact.

Burton has played 19 out of a possible 20 games this season. McGrath 18.

I reckon it's time they included finals also....Worpedo would fly in under the radar to gazump the both of em, I reckon.;):p

Burton's stats were far superior to McGraths & all the other 3 main contenders, it wasn't funny....Just below AA standard in fact.

Ahhhh - a stat man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGrath was injured. Burton was dropped due to form.
McGrath was better than Burton in 2017 and has been in 2018.

As for this years award, cannot split Stephenson, Witherden and Doedee at the moment.

cd4089620df5ddc6faf399ecf538934b.gif

Worpedo!

Although i find Sier a little unlucky, 27 and 5 tackles is probably equal to 23 and 8 tackles but the goal he kicked might have pushed him over if not for the amount of hype surrounding worpel this week.

Last edited:
Not really
Another stupid article

One teams nowhere although improving
Other teams playing finals and in no small part to him

Becoming a bit silly trying to talk stepho down

Biggest lay down misere since selwood

Re cap
Plays forward ( lot harder)
Plays all games
Playing in team winning

Plenty of goals , tackles and assists

Give it to him now

Not really
Another stupid article

One teams nowhere although improving
Other teams playing finals and in no small part to him

Becoming a bit silly trying to talk stepho down

Biggest lay down misere since selwood

Re cap
Plays forward ( lot harder)
Plays all games
Playing in team winning

Plenty of goals , tackles and assists

Give it to him now

The argument is;

Stephenson - kicks goals in a winning, high scoring team
Witherden - in the top bracket of rebounding half backs

Depends what you value more. Being in the top handful of small forwards at a winning club or being in the top handful of rebounding defenders in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back