2018 Rolling All Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody remember a more open All Australian team to this point in the season?
There's Ben Brown, then every other bloke seems to be up for debate.

The reactions are going to be excellent. I just hope Joel Selwood makes it, mostly so I can laugh and somebody can get 100+ likes by posting "It's official, the All Australian Team is a joke"

Rubbish. He’s had a great season.

Let’s say there are 12 mids (with 2 being HFF/mid) in the side, name that number that have been substantially better.

He’s had a better season than you think.
Mitchell, Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Oliver, Sidebottom, Gaff, Higgins, Beams, Dangerfield, Pendelbury, Selwood, Grey

Mitchell, Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Oliver, Sidebottom, Gaff, Higgins, Beams, Dangerfield, Pendelbury, Selwood, Grey

Dangerfield would have the same “criticism” that Martin has- he’s also had a very good season albeit not a 2017/2016 season. Macrae has missed a few games, could hurt. Beams has had a spectacular 2nd half but was he that good in the first half of the year?

Can anybody remember a more open All Australian team to this point in the season?

The reactions are going to be excellent. I just hope Joel Selwood makes it, mostly so I can laugh and somebody can get 100+ likes by posting "It's official, the All Australian Team is a joke"

Selwood deserves it this season. Would have no issues with him making it☝️

Selwood deserves it this season. Would have no issues with him making it☝️

He deserved it in 2016 too (last year obviously super dodgy), that didn't stop the complaints rolling in.

He's borderline this year, like plenty of others. I'm not sure which way it will fall. Depends largely on his last 6 weeks and if Geelong make finals.

This already happened last year don't be greedy

He deserved it in 2016 too (last year obviously super dodgy), that didn't stop the complaints rolling in.

He's borderline this year, like plenty of others. I'm not sure which way it will fall. Depends largely on his last 6 weeks and if Geelong make finals.

Last year was a poor selection (personally and I know this is a bit bias but JPK should have made it). Every other year he’s deserved it.

Yeah he’s borderline but if he makes it I have no issues. Has had a good year

B: Hurn, Rance, Stewart HB: Laird, McGovern, Sicily C: Gaff, Mitchell, Sidebottom HF: Hogan, Franklin, Gray F: Breust, B.Brown, Riewoldt RR: Gawn, Cripps, Higgins INT: Grundy, Macrae, Yeo, Oliver What do you guys think? Who deserves to be not on the team and who should be the replacement?

Last edited:
You said Dusty's 2017 was better than Danger's 2016. I can screenshot it if you want.

You are completely missing my point. I'm not arguing who performed better - as I said to a poster who actually replied with proper breakdown, I'm not going to claim Dangerfield had a better 2016 than Martin did in 2017. I agree entirely that Martin was probably better.

I'm saying that putting a title next to someone's performance doesn't mean they automatically played better.

Analysis of what they were doing and how they were doing it is far more relevant.

If 17 teams had an Essendon style suspension and someone from the one full-strength team polled 50 Brownlow votes, it wouldn't automatically make them the best performed player in a home and away season.
well if you agree entirely than i dont think we should be arguing lol. yes putting a title. but when youre putting numerous titles, it kind of adds up dont you think? i think we all agree finals and grand finals, are weighted more in a players career right? dusty did that. he also did home and away season. and putting a title on someone performance comes after the analysis anyway. players coaches umps all voted him best player for their respective awards. when a player takes out pretty much all awards there is to offer you gotta admit its something out of the ordinary. you could argue your point for one brownlow medal, but rest of the awards not won, but when you win all, well then you gotta give the guy credit

Dangerfield and Selwood probably aren't getting as much press because Geelong aren't traveling as well. 9-7 and clinging onto 8th on % from Hawthorn and North who no one rated going into the season. This time last year the Cats were in the top 2.
True, they've both had statistically good years too but the proof is in the W/L column. This has probably been Selwood's best year since 2013/14

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Hurn, Rance, Stewart HB: Laird, McGovern, Sicily C: Gaff, Mitchell, Sidebottom HF: Hogan, Franklin, Gray F: Breust, B.Brown, Riewoldt RR: Gawn, Cripps, Higgins INT: Grundy, Macrae, Yeo, Oliver What do you guys think? Who deserves to be not on the team and who should be the replacement?

Probably Yeo out and Cotchin in, McGovern also hasn't had a great year but Sicily getting injured probably opens up that spot more. Robbie Tarrant maybe?

Gathered from pro stats and ranked from hitouts to advantage per game. Omitted Simpson as he's only played 6 games. Made it a top 6 as Martin has had a fantastic season so felt he should be included.

Gawn
74.1 Ruck contests
46.4 Hitouts
16.5 Hitouts to advantage
62.6% Hitouts win percentage
35.6% Hitouts to advantage percentage

Sandilands
60 Ruck contests
40.5 Hitouts
14.3 Hitouts to advantage
67.6% Hitouts win percentage
35.2% Hitouts to advantage percentage

Bellchambers
66.5 Ruck contests
31.3 Hitouts
11.9 Hitouts to advantage
47% Hitouts win percentage
38% Hitouts to advantage percentage

Grundy
69.1 Ruck contests
37.8 Hitouts
11.7 Hitouts to advantage
54.7% Hitouts win percentage
31% Hitouts to advantage percentage

Goldstein
72.1 Ruck contests
36.9 Hitouts
11.4 Hitouts to advantage
51.2% Hitouts win percentage

Martin
67.8 Ruck contests
34.9 Hitouts
10.6 Hitouts to advantage
51.6% Hitouts win percentage
30.4% Hitouts to advantage percentage
Gathered from pro stats and ranked from hitouts to advantage per game. Omitted Simpson as he's only played 6 games. Made it a top 6 as Martin has had a fantastic season so felt he should be included.

Gawn
74.1 Ruck contests
46.4 Hitouts

Sandilands
60 Ruck contests
40.5 Hitouts

Bellchambers
66.5 Ruck contests
31.3 Hitouts

Grundy
69.1 Ruck contests
37.8 Hitouts

Goldstein
72.1 Ruck contests
36.9 Hitouts

Martin
67.8 Ruck contests
34.9 Hitouts
What's Natanui's stats

Gawn
74.1 Ruck contests
46.4 Hitouts

Sandilands
60 Ruck contests
40.5 Hitouts

Bellchambers
66.5 Ruck contests
31.3 Hitouts

Grundy
69.1 Ruck contests
37.8 Hitouts

Goldstein
72.1 Ruck contests
36.9 Hitouts

Martin
67.8 Ruck contests
34.9 Hitouts
What's Natanui's ruck stats?

Evidently, not in the top 6. But that certainly doesn't define his influence on a game.

I imagine if those guys are competing in high 60s to 70s ruck contests a game Naitanui would be around 40-50 given his share of our hitouts and our total hitouts for and against.

Collingwood average 72.4 total hitouts a game and Grundy competes in 69.1 contests a game. Machine.

True, they've both had statistically good years too but the proof is in the W/L column. This has probably been Selwood's best year since 2013/14

I haven't followed Geelong that closely but with the fewer wins it definitely feels like there haven't been as many gushing 'Danger/Selwood dragged them over the line' pieces from Gerard and Robbo on AFL360 on Monday nights. Neither are having a s**t season and nor are Geelong, they're just not as prominent in the media circle jerk.

Probably Yeo out and Cotchin in, McGovern also hasn't had a great year but Sicily getting injured probably opens up that spot more. Robbie Tarrant maybe?
Cotchin is having a very average year. 6 games with under 20 possessions and no impact on the game is too much.

Cotchin is having a very average year. 6 games with under 20 possessions and no impact on the game is too much.

Total possessions is such a useless stat by itself. Look at the whole picture

Total possessions is such a useless stat by itself. Look at the whole picture
He was anonymous in at least 6 games.

I agree total stats are useless in isolation but when a midfielder is getting 14 or 15 touches in a game they are having very little influence in the game

He was anonymous in at least 6 games.

I agree total stats are useless in isolation but when a midfielder is getting 14 or 15 touches in a game they are having very little influence in the game

That’s where I disagree I feel Cotchins influence onnthe Tigers side is huge he doesn’t need a lot of possessions to do this.

He’s in my side at this stage.

Gray shouldnt make it this year. Averaging 21 touches due to spending most of the year up forward. Also has only 25 goals so will struggle to kick 40. So doesnt get in as a forward or mid this year.

Gray shouldnt make it this year. Averaging 21 touches due to spending most of the year up forward. Also has only 25 goals so will struggle to kick 40. So doesnt get in as a forward or mid this year.

Bench spot easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back