List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in that case im torn.
We've had high draft picks recently but that hasn't really gotten us anywhere. The plan Pelchen sold us was a crock, we need draft picks as well as good experienced players. We should never have sold off our club champions.

Yep would be great to get more high picks but it won't lift us off the lower rung - winning will.

We should get pick 4 , so JL, Walsh , one and 2 - the Rankine , Smith and the King brothers

our pick should be out of Rankine , Walsh , Max King , Ben King.

pretty sure GWS would put Shiel on the block to get there hands on one of them.

Sloane and Shiel would fix our midfield , just need a ruck to make it easier for them

If McCartin was pick 40, he wouldn't be getting a game..
I'd offer McCartin & next year's 2nd pick to Sydney/Geelong for their first rd pick..
Then trade that pick for 2m Peter (Wright GC), as I believe he'd come of age back in Melb under the Etihad roof..
McCartin get's to have a fresh start, & we pick up a proven 203cm+ KF/Ruckman with plenty of upside..(5 months younger than McCartin)
Marshall/Wright are better options than Paddy moving forward, with their ability to pinch hit in the ruck..

Top 3 pick guarantees nothing. Winning culture is everything.

And by your logic losing to Carlton won't matter at all to a potential FA? Think you've got to sell them the whole package, the future, the club, the culture, the lot.

Winning culture > top 3 pick every damn day. Blows my mind that our footy club and supporters don’t see it. No wonder we are such a mediocre club and laughing stock of the league!!

Winning culture > top 3 pick every damn day. Blows my mind that our footy club and supporters don’t see it. No wonder we are such a mediocre club and laughing stock of the league!!

There’s a few clubs ahead of us in the laughingstock stakes.

A few supporters happy to lose doesn’t equate to a club’s culture either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would Dane Beams cost trade wise? He is 28, a gun, a bit injury prone. Good leadership. Rumour he wants back to Vic.

Maybe a late first (picks 10 - 18) in this draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd offer McCartin & next year's 2nd pick to Sydney/Geelong for their first rd pick..
Then trade that pick for 2m Peter (Wright GC), as I believe he'd come of age back in Melb under the Etihad roof..
McCartin get's to have a fresh start, & we pick up a proven 203cm+ KF/Ruckman with plenty of upside..(5 months younger than McCartin)
Marshall/Wright are better options than Paddy moving forward, with their ability to pinch hit in the ruck..

2MP isn't much better than Paddy. I can't think of one recent high picked tall that is outstanding actually, even Jesse Hogan isn't the player we thought he'd be.
Tall forwards are finding it much harder to score and only one player has kicked over 40 goals with seven regular season games left. Ben Brown is the only forward that looks like he'll kick more than 70 goals for the year. I'd rather find another high impact small forward. Rankine and Sloane would do me. We would look much more likely to play finals then.

i'm leaning towards intensity. purely for bigfooty's sake. also the team. You can count on high intensity players to deliver to a certain level, steven, gresh, dmac (jury's out but his best quality is his attack on the ball), battle, long. That kind of stuff stands up under any environment, rule change, gameplan. That's why we're lucky that both rankine (gresham kinda quickness) and smith (steven kinda desperation to win the contested ball and run all day) will be around our pick. Low jack watts bust potential, and won't need to be in a dominant team to shine (billings),

a team with battle, steven, smith, gresham, long, webster, dmac, hunter (looks laconic but tackles hard and is hard to tackle) is going to make beating us hard work. We will be easier to coach with our consistent effort and will stand up in close finals.

walsh looks good too but won't be pissd if we don't get him. Lukosious looks great also but dunno if his game will stand up in the modern game the way people think it will

Why trade for beams when we can get gaff for free. Gaff and gov please.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree Beams is not the right trade for us. But, if we want to get better then we might need to trade because the supply of FA is no where near the demand. Big chance we don't get a gun via FA.

we can't rule out trading. Does anyone regret trading pick #5 for Carlisle + the Gresh pick?

Simply going to the draft puts us on the treadmill of young player in - older player out. Repeat. Repeat.

If the tigers can afford martin, rance, cotchin, prestia, caddy, JRoo and probably lynch who the **** is our money going to?

Snake and Steven should be the only 2 players on more then 600k a year,

We should have enough money to go hard at both gov and gaff!!!

Because everyone can pretty much afford any body when it's a long term deal. You just back end it.

So you need to be an attractive destination which means you need to be playing final or have recently made finals. We have done neither. Until that changes we ain't doing s**t.

That's the big issue we had. It wasn't the new cba that did us in. It was the fact the performance of the football dept did not hold up to its side of the bargain and fell behind the list management strategy.

Richo has done a fair bit of damage to the club.

Paddy should be playing out of the goal square , 2 smalls around him - the guy playing at CHF is wrong , he just isn't athlete enough to be a CHF.
We have tried our best to give him every chance , if we had a chance of finals he wouldn't be playing - but due to the fact our season is finished you might as well play him and see if he can kick some goals to give him some confidence. He is contracted for 2 more years so give the kid a chance this year , next year will be different story he will not be playing next year if he doesn't improve.
If Bruce was fit Paddy wouldn't be playing.
Going forward our forward line will most probably be Battle , Bruce and Membery unless Paddy can show a lot more'
Meanwhile keep playing Paddy to see what he can do in the last few games and bring in Marshall to play at CHF to play with Membery and Paddy, while Battle and Bruce are hurt.

We don't trade Bruce and we don't trade Paddy because we will get nothing for him and he might just show something in the future and he he doesn't he plays for Sandy.

Paddy should be playing out of the goal square , 2 smalls around him - the guy playing at CHF is wrong , he just isn't athlete enough to be a CHF.
We have tried our best to give him every chance , if we had a chance of finals he wouldn't be playing - but due to the fact our season is finished you might as well play him and see if he can kick some goals to give him some confidence. He is contracted for 2 more years so give the kid a chance this year , next year will be different story he will not be playing next year if he doesn't improve.
If Bruce was fit Paddy wouldn't be playing.
Going forward our forward line will most probably be Battle , Bruce and Membery unless Paddy can show a lot more'
Meanwhile keep playing Paddy to see what he can do in the last few games and bring in Marshall to play at CHF to play with Membery and Paddy, while Battle and Bruce are hurt.

We don't trade Bruce and we don't trade Paddy because we will get nothing for him and he might just show something in the future and he he doesn't he plays for Sandy.
I think the problem with playing him out of the goal square - it didn't give him a chance. His opponent played 1m in front of him and completely nullified his run. Paddy isn't a body player like we thought he'd be.. He is semi-quick off the mark, but after 10m loses the sprint. He needs paddocks to lead into without the bodywork. Its just not happening in this day and age of footy. Sides work you out very quickly and only repeat after repeat leads and work ethic seem to get any results for the forwards that aren't naturally a jump and mark type.

Will GC match any Lynch offer and force a trade?
He is worth more than compo pick 4 to them surely?

But who of the rumoured destination teams can make a trade better than Pick 4? E.g. Richmond give their next two firsts, that's 18 and 16ish let's say (GC would surely rather 4 alone).

So maybe they want players? Or Richmond will need to trade good players for high picks. Anyone got any idea how this will play out?

Will GC match any Lynch offer and force a trade?
He is worth more than compo pick 4 to them surely?

But who of the rumoured destination teams can make a trade better than Pick 4? E.g. Richmond give their next two firsts, that's 18 and 16ish let's say (GC would surely rather 4 alone).

So maybe they want players? Or Richmond will need to trade good players for high picks. Anyone got any idea how this will play out?

This is largely the whole debate on FA. Bottom clubs will always lose out.

Star players usually will only want a top team in a finals window. Which they then won't have much to offer.. What next? GC either take pick 4 as compensation, or 2 teen picks and possibly a fringe player..

Or they stand firm, match the offer and potentially lose Lynch to pre season draft for nothing..

There is something wrong with the system in that sense.

Would love 2MP.

More versatile, 5 months younger and 6 concussions healthier than Paddy.

Top 3 pick guarantees nothing. Winning culture is everything.

And by your logic losing to Carlton won't matter at all to a potential FA? Think you've got to sell them the whole package, the future, the club, the culture, the lot.
Agree, people tend to think a pick 3 will solve all the problems. Pick 3 is mostly likely at Billings/Mccartin level, will take 4-5 years to be consistent good player, how much does that help us? Not very much.

We seriously need to look at coaching staff. The way we play e.g. turnover galore, long bomb to 1 vs 3, no many people would be interested. Remember, Carlise, Membrey, Bruce, Steele chose us because we were an up and coming team playing some reasonable football. I can’t say that at the moment.

To me, Richo has to go, along with his band of assistant coaches. Football based on effort and no skill does not work. We need a new game plan our players can actually execute reasonably well without being exposed e.g. Crap skills, crap midfield, crap ruck. Hope we get a new list manager who’s compentent and able to address all the list needs.

Would love 2MP.

More versatile, 5 months younger and 6 concussions healthier than Paddy.
Just watching Paddy on Sat closely, he's playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders..
Would be a win-win trade if it was to be done..
The highlights of 2MP at the age of 19 are quite extraordinary..
He's got buckets for hands, a beautiful right foot & agility that would be a great asset to our forward line..(Pinch hitting in the ruck also)
A forward line consisting of Battle, Membrey, Marshall, Gresham, Long, Billings, & 2 MP is potentially dynamic..
This was his second season in the AFL, after 3 games in his first..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back