List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
for it to be an offer it has to be able to be accepted ... if we have put an offer forward we have broken AFL rules i hypotheical discussion on what we would consider is very far from an offer an offer he can sign on the line tomorrow a hypothetical means we wait out the season and discuss where we are at... heck McG may have a "Goose" injury during the season do you think that "offer" from March will still be there if he breaks his leg badly ?
Okay mate. North gave Josh Kelly a $9m HYPOTHETICAL this time last year. It wasn’t an offer! Rumours are strong we’ve give McGovern a very large HYPOTHETICAL this year.

To be honest, I’m going to continue to call it an offer, as will the media, you can call it whatever the hell you like.

if you see a car on the street you like the look of and you say "i would give $100K for that car" is that an offer ?
st kilda saying they would pay $1.4m for McG is the same sort of thing , it establishes what the club think he is worth to them..

you can call it an offer all you like but the fact remains offers cant be accepted until the trade/free agency period so an offer thats not binding isnt really an offer is it

if you see a car on the street you like the look of and you say "i would give $100K for that car" is that an offer ?
st kilda saying they would pay $1.4m for McG is the same sort of thing , it establishes what the club think he is worth to them..

you can call it an offer all you like but the fact remains offers cant be accepted until the trade/free agency period so an offer thats not binding isnt really an offer is it

its an interesting point, although i think we'll just end up going around in circles and pollute the thread

go to a home open, speak the real estate agent and say "i'd pay X-Y for this place", now does that constitute an offer... not sure it does. but it does start a discussion. the person may not even be that keen on the place, hell they migh not even be in the position to purchase the place, the seller may not be too keen on selling the joint and is just looking for the hail marry offer.

back onto mcgovern apparently his club is now nervous about the situation. i dont think its because of us or the melbourne club though. freo are going very ******* hard for him.
that makes more sence and more probable outcome .. Freo being his old mans club, gets to stay in WA and really you gotta think if the WCE offer is true he would be feeling a tad peeved by the WCE.. the only thing is can Freo fit him in their cap after spending up big on players from other clubs in the last couple ?? i guess Sandi coming off the list most likely would help

that makes more sence and more probable outcome .. Freo being his old mans club, gets to stay in WA and really you gotta think if the WCE offer is true he would be feeling a tad peeved by the WCE.. the only thing is can Freo fit him in their cap after spending up big on players from other clubs in the last couple ?? i guess Sandi coming off the list most likely would help

like any long term deal you just backend it. any club can afford any player if its a long term deal, its just the appetite for the player that will decide if you do it and the player wanting to come there

So if we do get MCG Gaff and Sloane you would think that would be the end for Armo Newnes and Maybe Dunstan.
would rather let Gaff stay at WCE ... Sloane i would take for the marketing side of it and cause he is a quallity player but he isnt going to be the big differance to make us push for finals ...
Gov is a surpluss to our needs but he is a special quality player that would make us significantly stronger , doesnt suit our obvious needs but hey you dont trun down the chance at a future AA

would rather let Gaff stay at WCE ... Sloane i would take for the marketing side of it and cause he is a quallity player but he isnt going to be the big differance to make us push for finals ...
Gov is a surpluss to our needs but he is a special quality player that would make us significantly stronger , doesnt suit our obvious needs but hey you dont trun down the chance at a future AA
McGovern AA 2016 & 17 He wont leave WA
Gaff AA 2015 and would be picked in the 1st 5 players every week for us

Seeing you went there...

If you walk into a house and state the you will purchased at X price then it's a verbal offer.

I think what has happened would be either:

His manager had enquired to clubs and we have indicated an interest at X $.

Or we have approached his manager and told him he is looking to move we would like him to come to us and we could likely offer him X $$.

An offer IMO is if the player has indicated he is definitely moving and will consider us, and in return we have said we want him and this is how much we can pay.

Anyway, we move on...

its an interesting point, although i think we'll just end up going around in circles and pollute the thread

go to a home open, speak the real estate agent and say "i'd pay X-Y for this place", now does that constitute an offer... not sure it does. but it does start a discussion. the person may not even be that keen on the place, hell they migh not even be in the position to purchase the place, the seller may not be too keen on selling the joint and is just looking for the hail marry offer.

So you wouldn’t turn down the chance at a future AA, but you would rather an actual AA that suits our needs and is a FA stay at his club than come to us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do if its 1.4 million for a bloody backman. That would be probably 400K more than any back has ever received previously. Mids and forwards I can understand but backs.

Yes he can play as a marking forward as well but we would be getting him to play back.
Happy to move Bruce to Back line but don't want a 2 time AA
Strange

Strange

Is Bruce getting 1.4 million? Its so simple for you but unfortunately we have a SC. How many clubs have spent close to 2 million on 2 key backs? 18 clubs so I gather a few. Even 1.5 million will do. Actually has any club even go 2 highly paid backs from other clubs especially when the midfield wouldn't be in the top 10 in the AFL.

I await your answers.

Strange

I think it’s more about what’s the best use of our resources.

If there was no salary cap and we had a billionaire owner we could pay McGovern whatever to improve our list.

In reality we have a finite amount of reaources to improve our team and strengthening the back line to the tune of 1.4 mil per year wouldn’t get us closer to a flag than if we could get an elite mid or forward (and potentially push Bruce back).

Of course maybe no elite mids or forwards want to come to us and so McGovern may be the best and most realistic way to improve our side given we have a bit of cap space.

Wouldn’t be a priority for me tho.

I think it’s more about what’s the best use of our resources.

If there was no salary cap and we had a billionaire owner we could pay McGovern whatever to improve our list.

In reality we have a finite amount of reaources to improve our team and strengthening the back line to the tune of 1.4 mil per year wouldn’t get us closer to a flag than if we could get an elite mid or forward (and potentially push Bruce back).

Of course maybe no elite mids or forwards want to come to us and so McGovern may be the best and most realistic way to improve our side given we have a bit of cap space.

Wouldn’t be a priority for me tho.

Exactly. We are just talking rubbish at the moment because we don't know exact figures or even the interest in players but wouldn't Sloane and Gaff at around 1.7 million be so much better for the side than McGovern on 1.4 million. One will save the goals because our mids aren't good enough and the other 2 will mean we don't need as many star backs because we will control the ball more. Will even make our marking forwards better.

Is Bruce getting 1.4 million? Its so simple for you but unfortunately we have a SC. How many clubs have spent close to 2 million on 2 key backs? 18 clubs so I gather a few. Even 1.5 million will do. Actually has any club even go 2 highly paid backs from other clubs especially when the midfield wouldn't be in the top 10 in the AFL.

I await your answers.
Is McGovern getting 1.4 ? Pretty sure the club will get the SC right seemed to have done a VERY good job over the last few years and have put us in great position to get some good players. Who gives a rats what other clubs have done, no clubs had done what Tigers had til last year. Never get anywhere worry about what other clubs have done in the past. If McGovern is what the club thinks is the right move then get it done.

So you wouldn’t turn down the chance at a future AA, but you would rather an actual AA that suits our needs and is a FA stay at his club than come to us?
i dont rate Gaff ... he is good at getting cheapy possesions when everything is rolling along well for his team but when was the last time you saw a game where you saw Gaff grab the game and will his team over the line ? it doesnt happen Shuey yes but Gaff is like grabbing Chad Fletcher during the Cousin, Judd Kerr period lets just see how effective Gaff is now WCE will rely on him to do the heavy lifting in the guts for them.. Gaff is the type of player we need but for the cost and having to deal with the WCE sorry i reckon there are cheaper better options

Is McGovern getting 1.4 ? Pretty sure the club will get the SC right seemed to have done a VERY good job over the last few years and have put us in great position to get some good players. Who gives a rats what other clubs have done, no clubs had done what Tigers had til last year. Never get anywhere worry about what other clubs have done in the past. If McGovern is what the club thinks is the right move then get it done.

No idea if McGovern is getting that. No idea if he has any interest in us. Using info off here and in the media because we have nothing else to go by. Of course the club will get the cap right but that isn't what we are talking about. And I think it is important to look at what other clubs do when chasing players. You don't obviously. And I will play your game. The club might think McGovern is the right player but is he interested in us?

By the way as we have no idea who the club wants or who wants us what position would you try and fill first if we get a choice?

You do if its 1.4 million for a bloody backman. That would be probably 400K more than any back has ever received previously. Mids and forwards I can understand but backs.
come on you know that the dollar figures touted are not a true reflection .. i have confidence that the club would be talking about what they deem to be a good price for him .. the $1.4 is just his manager trying to get WCE to up their offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back