VFL 2018 VFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Features:

- 18 matches over a 21 week season (21 rounds).
- 8 home matches (6 Victoria Park, 2 MCG or Olympic Park), 10 away
- Play Geelong, Coburg, Footscray, Richmond, Casey, Williamstown, North Melbourne, Box Hill, Frankston, Sandringham once.
- Play Blues, Port Melbourne, Essendon, Werribee twice.
- 8 Saturday games (6 afternoon, 2 morning)
- 10 Sunday games (6 afternoon, 4 morning)
- 3 byes per club (Rounds 4, 11 and 15)
- 1 AFL/VFL clash of matches (North Melbourne July 21st)
- 3 initial TV games (Rounds 3, 7 and 10)

Fixture:

Round 1 – Blues, Preston City Oval, 2:00pm (Saturday, April 7th)

Round 2 – Port Melbourne, North Port Oval, 2:00pm (Saturday, April 14th)

Round 3 – Essendon, Victoria Park, 2:10pm (Saturday, April 21st)

Round 4 – BYE

Round 5 – Werribee, Chirnside Park, 5:00pm (Saturday, May 5th)

Round 6 – Geelong, MCG/Olympic Park, 11:30am (Sunday, May 13th)

Round 7 – Coburg, Coburg City Oval, 2:10pm (Saturday, May 19th)

Round 8 – Footscray, Whitten Oval, 11:00am (Saturday, May 26th)

Round 9 – Richmond, Victoria Park, 11:30am (Sunday, June 3rd)

Round 10 – Casey, Casey Fields, 2:10pm (Saturday, June 9th)

Round 11 – BYE

Round 12 – Blues, MCG/Olympic Park, 11:30am (Sunday, June 24th)

Round 13 – Williamstown, Willliamstown Cricket Ground, 2:00pm (Sunday, July 1st)

Round 14 – Werribee, Victoria Park, 11:30am (Sunday, July 8th)

Round 15 – BYE

Round 16 – Essendon, Windy Hill, 11:00am (Saturday, July 21st)

Round 17 – North Melbourne, Chirnside Park, 1:00pm (Sunday, July 29th)

Round 18 – Box Hill, Box Hill City Oval, 2:00pm (Sunday, August 5th)

Round 19 – Port Melbourne, Victoria Park, 1:00pm (Sunday, August 12th)

Round 20 – Frankston, Victoria Park, 1:00pm (Sunday, August 19th)

Round 21 – Sandringham, Victoria Park, 2:00pm (Sunday, August 26th)

And here's the fixture for the whole comp...

http://vfl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/12/2018-Peter-Jackson-VFL-Fixture-FINAL.pdf

Last edited:

Dam no Away Game at Frankston:mad:

Bad for Frankston (and for you). Good for me, because I won't have to put the car into lockdown...

and More Games at Eddieland then at Vic Park:mad:

Equal numbers, actually.

Regardless, it's hard to stomach. Especially since two of those games are Sunday twilight and will open bounce while the seniors are still playing at the MCG!

Where we've been especially screwed also is only getting 8 home games, instead of the customary 9...

Equal numbers, actually.

Regardless, it's hard to stomach. Especially since two of those games are Sunday twilight and will open bounce while the seniors are still playing at the MCG!

Where we've been especially screwed also is only getting 8 home games, instead of the customary 9...
There could be double the number of Vic Park games than Olympic Park if the two MCG curtain raisers go ahead. 4 Vic Park, 2 Olympic Park. 2 MCG.

8 home games and 10 away games is a joke. We should have 9 home games and the 9th should be played at Vic Park.
Given the current trend away from our spiritual home I think most of us would be satisfied with 5 games at Victoria Park.

Are we the only team to get screwed over by having one less home game?

Terrible fixture ripped off a home game and just 4 games at Vic Park with one in round 3 and the others penciled in for rounds 19, 20 and 21. I use the term penciled in as those games late in the year are traditionally the ones often transferred to Olympic Park.

Makes me glad I upgraded to social club access though, at least I'll have access to some shelter/elevation at our training ground.

Makes me glad I upgraded to social club access though, at least I'll have access to some shelter/elevation at our training ground.

Your Lucky but I am not paying for Social Member as I not spending extra Cash just so I can sit up there during VFL Games

Fixture:

Round 1 – Blues, Preston City Oval, 2:00pm (Saturday, April 7th) - Play the Blues @ the G Friday 7:50pm

Round 2 – Port Melbourne, North Port Oval, 2:00pm (Saturday, April 14th) - Play the Crows @ AO Friday 7:20pm

Round 3 – Essendon, Victoria Park, 2:10pm (Saturday, April 21st) - Play the Bumbers @ the G Wednesday 3:20pm

Round 4 – BYE - Play the Tigas @ the G Sunday 3:20pm

Round 5 – Werribee, Chirnside Park, 3:00pm (Saturday, May 5th) - Play Brisbane @ The Gabba Sunday 4:40pm

Round 6 – Geelong, MCG/Olympic Park, 11:30am (Sunday, May 13th) - Play Cats @ the G Sunday 3:20pm

Round 7 – Coburg, Coburg City Oval, 2:10pm (Saturday, May 19th) - Play the Saints @ ES Saturday 7:25pm

Round 8 – Footscray, Whitten Oval, 11:00am (Saturday, May 26th) - Play the Doggies @ ES Friday 7:50pm

Round 9 – Richmond, Olympic Park Oval, 5:30pm (Sunday, June 3rd) - Play Freo @ the G Sunday 3:20pm

Round 10 – Casey, Casey Fields, 2:10pm (Saturday, June 9th) - Play Dees @ the G Monday 3:20pm

Round 11 – BYE - BYE

Round 12 – Blues, MCG/Olympic Park, 11:30am (Sunday, June 24th) - Play Bloos @ the G Sunday 3:20pm

Round 13 – Williamstown, Willliamstown Cricket Ground, 2:00pm (Sunday, July 1st) - Play the GCS @ MS Saturday 7:25pm

Round 14 – Werribee, Olympic Park Oval, 5:30pm (Sunday, July 8th) - Play the Bumbers @ the G Sunday 3:20pm

Round 15 – BYE - Play the Weagles @ the G Sunday 1:10pm

Round 16 – Essendon, Windy Hill, 11:00am (Saturday, July 21st) - Play the Roos @ the G Saturday 1:45pm

Round 17 – North Melbourne, Chirnside Park, 1:00pm (Sunday, July 29th) - Play the Tigas @ the G Saturday 1:45pm

Round 18 – Box Hill, Box Hill City Oval, 2:00pm (Sunday, August 5th) - Play the Swans @ the SCG Saturday 7:25pm

Round 19 – Port Melbourne, Victoria Park, 1:00pm (Sunday, August 12th) - Play the Bears @ ES Saturday 7:25pm

Round 20 – Frankston, Victoria Park, 1:00pm (Sunday, August 19th) - Play the Power @ the G Saturday 1:45pm

Round 21 – Sandringham, Victoria Park, 2:00pm (Sunday, August 26th) - Play Freo @ OS date & time TBC

In RED games where the VFL plays before the AFL and will be down at least 1x carry-over emergency player, in BOLD (red or black) those potential double headers for those so inclined.

Been ripped on the 8H - 10A split and without doing too much research seems we have a difficult group of teams we play twice.

Love that the Casey game will be televised, hate travelling to that hell-hole.

How come some teams get 10 home games and some only get 8 like us? That doesn't seem right in an 18 round fixture???

Your Lucky but I am not paying for Social Member as I not spending extra Cash just so I can sit up there during VFL Games
Yeah, I was a bit unsure whether it was worth the extra money too and nearly didn't upgrade. Figured I'd test out the experience in 2018 and reassess in 12 months time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we the only team to get screwed over by having one less home game?

Without dissecting the entire comp in detail, at first glance North Melbourne only get 8 home games this year, with the bulk of them to be played at Chirnside Park Oval in Werribee (Arden Street strangely not being used or able to be used at this time). Geelong get 8 games at Kardinia Park, but also get home team rights to their season opener at Torquay, where they have played annually for the last half a dozen years or so. So, technically, they get the full 9. Casey, Sandringham and Box Hill, AFL reserves teams in all bar name, also get the full 9 on their decks.

According to the release on the VFL's website, the VFL stand-alone teams are getting 10 home games each this year, in order to give them a leg up with attendances, gate takings and memberships. Okay, but that logic falls apart when you use up one of Frankston's home games on North Melbourne instead of Collingwood (our trips to Frankston, in my experience, are always packed affairs, which would make for quite the earner). Bending the rules for the perennially struggling Frankston and Coburg is one thing, but when perpetually strong teams like Willy and the reigning premiers Port Melbourne are getting an extra home game at their difficult to play on grounds, that crosses the line from well-intentioned welfare to substantively impacting the integrity of the competition...

Been ripped on the 8H - 10A split and without doing too much research seems we have a difficult group of teams we play twice.

Allow me, then.

Of the seven games we played in 2017 against the teams we play twice in 2018, we won just two of them (Port Melbourne once, Werribee once). Of the quartet, Port and the Bombers played finals, with the Bombers bowing out first week and the Borough taking the flag. Rough cop, getting the reigning premiers twice...

Against that though is the fact that our records against Port, along with the Blues and Werribee, in this Tapping/Rivers era of five consecutive finals appearances, have been pretty good. And in a generic evaluation, to play finals and get double-ups against the 7th, 9th and 12th finishing teams is not too bad a result.

Without dissecting the entire comp in detail, at first glance North Melbourne only get 8 home games this year, with the bulk of them to be played at Chirnside Park Oval in Werribee (Arden Street strangely not being used or able to be used at this time). Geelong get 8 games at Kardinia Park, but also get home team rights to their season opener at Torquay, where they have played annually for the last half a dozen years or so. So, technically, they get the full 9. Casey, Sandringham and Box Hill, AFL reserves teams in all bar name, also get the full 9 on their decks.

According to the release on the VFL's website, the VFL stand-alone teams are getting 10 home games each this year, in order to give them a leg up with attendances, gate takings and memberships. Okay, but that logic falls apart when you use up one of Frankston's home games on North Melbourne instead of Collingwood (our trips to Frankston, in my experience, are always packed affairs, which would make for quite the earner). Bending the rules for the perennially struggling Frankston and Coburg is one thing, but when perpetually strong teams like Willy and the reigning premiers Port Melbourne are getting an extra home game at their difficult to play on grounds, that crosses the line from well-intentioned welfare to substantively impacting the integrity of the competition...
The logic also flies in the face of the VFL's treatment of Frankston and North Ballarat the last 2 years, kicking clubs out of the comp is hardly good for attendances etc.

Adding to your figures:

8 -
Collingwood
Essendon (including 1 Craigieburn)
Footscray (including 2 venue tbc *)
North Melbourne (including 2 venue tbc *) (excluding an away game at Chirnside Park)
Richmond (including 2 games Beaconsfield)

9 -
Box Hill
Casey
Geelong (including Torquay)
Northern Blues (5 Princes Park + 4 Crammer St)
Sandringham

10 -
Coburg
Frankston
Port Melbourne
Werribee
Williamstown

* My sense is Footscray and North Melbourne are trying to host two VFL games a piece at Etihad. Etihad is listed in the abbreviations at the bottom, but isn't the assigned venue anywhere in the fixture despite also being the grand final venue. North's games to be confirmed are against Footscray and Richmond. Footscray's games to be confirmed are against North and Box Hill. Adding to this theory in the seniors North and WB are scheduled to play each other at Etihad on two of the days in question; likewise North/Richmond and WB/Haw.

With corresponding fixtures against each other tbc if these games do indeed end up being played at Etihad it would give both North and Footscray a pseudo extra home game.

2 Games Moves to Vic Park :D:D:D

Terrific news! Both games moved back from 5.30pm Sunday too, which makes it a lot easier for those who have to travel. For me I simply like morning or arvo VFL games more than twilight.

Terrific news! Both games moved back from 5.30pm Sunday too, which makes it a lot easier for those who have to travel. For me I simply like morning or arvo VFL games more than twilight.

Depends on if there is a Double Header or not

Removes two actual clash of games too. The 5:30pm starts meant the team would be starting while the seniors were still actually playing.

The change of fixtures means that only two of our eight home games are now set down for Olympic Park/Holden Centre. And both of those (vs Geelong on Sunday May 13th and vs the Blues on Sunday June 24th) are set down as "MCG/Olympic Park". Which means, if we could just get the MCC to come to the party (and maybe the AFLPA as well), we could potentially get two actual curtain-raisers to round out our allocation of home games and not actually play on our training track...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back