List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be telling GWS that we are bidding on Green at 4. They have two options

1) Make a deal with Melbourne
2) Trade out pick 6 for points and match our bid

If they are willing to trade pick 6 to us, we have two picks in the 20s. Might be able to get another one or two for Greenwood/Keath. If they do that deal with us then, and only then, we don’t bid on Green.

Time to be assholes. Seems to be working for Freo/St Kilda/Geelong/Essendon.

I’m not too fussed about Hately. I’ve mentioned him and Caldwell. People saying no chance are ignoring the circumstances now.

We (and Melbourne) have got GWS over a barrel. We can lock them out of the first round of this draft, even though they have pick 6 now.

They will take Green, that is a given, but if they want another top 4 player from this draft then they must come through us.

They can say no way are they giving up Hately/Caldwell/Insert any name here, all they like. That is great. But they can forget about Kemp, Flanders, or whoever else they want unless they kiss the ring. That is now in our control. Who is better, the guys they have, taken at 11 or 13 or this years guy at 4?

It really boils down to how big a cnuts we are willing to be. Have a look around the other clubs and how they behave. Maybe time to stop being nice guys.

We are not obligated to make some sort of deal with them and not bid on Green. We are completely within our rights to shut up shop on pick 4 and bid on Green. What are they going to do about it. They might not want to give up Hately or Caldwell. Fine. But say good bye to pick 6, which they have just made worth less than picks 12 and 18.
What??

*head cold delirium.
Anyone think Port are targeting someone in the draft or trying to get a player with putting Howard up for trade? It seems very odd.
Would they be making a play for Hately?

If GWS need 3 or 4 from Melbourne or us, it could be a draft night live trade.

The trade for 6 is interesting from a GWS perspective, as Adelaide are potentially the biggest threat to bid for Green early so trading for 6 doesn’t necessarily help.

I wonder if we’ve agreed to trade them pick 4, but demanded a top 10 pick be part of the trade.
Our picks 23 and 28 as they stand effectively cover a pick 5 bid.
I expect we may be working on something like:
GWS: Pick 4, 23, 28 + Jacobs
Adel: Pick 6 + ?

The question is what GWS can offer to entice us to give them those 3 picks. Is there more to come, is it their 2020 1st and a player?

Do they deal with Melbourne instead?

Doing a deal like that means they want a pick before Green, 6 doesn’t seem enough.

Ogilvy’s on record as liking Green and has made plenty of bids on FS/Academy players before to the point he’s developing a bit of a reputation in this regard.
Giant Pete probably doesn't hear much of that up in Sydney.

Exactly not many clubs can do what they do trade out former 1st round picks and in some cases get higher 1st round picks back to keep replenishing their list with elite young talent, not to mention their Academy zone has been a goldmine for them.
I think we have to wait another 4-5 years for the bulk of their start up concession players to to hit retirement before they become more like other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure he played mostly half forward/wing in the SANFL for Central Districts last year, at least in a lot of the footage I watched he did?

ad victoriam would know...
For his college team, he was in the middle as expected best talent always is, State Basketballer runs all day,
For the Dogs, he played wing/high forward with runs in the middle, can run with the ball at pace, he's one of those players who could play most positions, but Middle/Wing half-forward would be his best fit at this time,
Good football brain, and wants to play, If he not getting a run in the GWS AFL he will be easy to get.
If the Crows can find a way to get him this year he plays AFL in 2020 if he stays at GWS he a Long way back, more so if they get Green and Flanders, Could be getable with a pick swap 4 and Jacobs. for 6 and Hately. That could mean Kemp and Hately I will take that for pick 4

To be clear. I am suggesting we royally * you over. I am saying we make you look like idiots for going ahead with that trade for pick 6 if you hadn't already made a deal with us or Melbourne before hand.

Here is my offer pick 6 for pick 23, 28 and another pick in the 20s/30s TBD + we dont bid on Green. Or go and find another club to take your pick 6 because you will need the points :)

Nothing personal. I am just wondering if its time we got down in the mud with the likes of Dorado and Co.

Neither of your teams will bid on Greene

Like we didnt bid on Himmelberg or Perryman. Oh wait. We will definitely bid on Greene and we would have bid on Briggs last year (if you didnt give us Carltons 2nd).

I dont think Melbourne will though as they are pretty loaded on mids. We on the other hand desperately need a big bodied mid and I dont think anyone here would be disappointed if you didnt match. My personal feel is that Green is the guy we need after Rowell and Anderson given that we need mids more than anything else.

edit: it was perryman not setterfield

Neither of your teams will bid on Greene

Of course we will. We have bid on GWS players multiple times, and he is exactly the kind of player we need. We are desperate for impact midfielders.

Would not hold my breath on that.
2018- Taryn Thomas - Bid match North Melb
2016 - Harry Perryman Bid matched GWS
2015- Harrison Himmelberg Bid matched GWS

And then all you have to do is look at who we were rumoured to bid on but didn't but that made clubs pull the trigger a little earlier than they might have just on that pure threat of Hamish being a sneaky bugger.

What Hamish also does with the bidding is change the draft order around for later in the draft meaning he has already done the predictions and if we don't get that player, then it means a player he is looking at later in the draft becomes more likely for us than for any competitors (the clubs we bid against) for that player. He plans well ahead of the draft by looking into what every other club is looking for and who they are likely to draft. It's the same for other recruiting managers, but I don't think any of them are as good as Hamish at it.

So looking at the 2016 bid - that took GWS out of the equation until pick 54. They had to use their pick 38, 44 and 51. It ended up with us then moving up to have picks 44 and 51 for Poholke and Himmelberg.

2018 is hard to figure out as there isn't anything online to say what picks were used to match bids, but from what I can figure out North had picks 42, 47, 48, 49, 55 and 58 in the third round and we had nothing in that range originally. They had to use 42, 47, 48 and 58 to match for Thomas it seems. They got to keep their 49 as it was already committed for a FS pick. We then swooped in to do a live draft trade to net us 64 and Scholl before Geelong could nab him. They had two picks in the third round which ended up as 48 and 50. So it seems that Hamish was taking North out of action in the third round possibly allowing Geelong to get players they were also interested in that pushed Scholl out a little further when they might have jumped on him earlier (speculation from me here).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back