Kick penetration
Defensive workrate

STRENGTHS:
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Only downside is that he'll need 12-18 months to put on some size.

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "A natural-born leader with elite kicking abilities, Ash makes the right decisions with ball-in-hand and is a damaging player coming off half-back."

AFTER an impressive bottom-age year, Ash was highly touted coming into the 2019 season, and he did not disappoint. The skilful rebounding defender was a consistent performer across the NAB League season for Murray, averaging more than 23 disposals per game. After being elected co-captain of the Bushrangers with teammate Cam Wilson, Ash would go on to co-captain the Vic Country squad throughout the AFL Under-18 National Championships, indicating that he is looked up to by his fellow teammates and admired by his coaching staff. Ash is the ideal footballer for an AFL team searching for a line-breaking defender who can consistently hit targets by foot with terrific vision and decision making. His test results at the NAB AFL Combine were also eye-catching, registering a 21.4 yo-yo test (finishing sixth overall) and a sub-three second 20-metre sprint. Similar to fellow half-back Hayden Young, an area of improvement for Ash is further midfield development, particularly with a focus on the contested ball aspect of the game.

STRENGTHS
Athleticism
Endurance
Penetrating kick
Leadership
Vision
Decision making

IMPROVEMENTS
Contested ball
Midfield craft

Like he did in 2019, Ash played the majority of the year in back half for Murray Bushrangers but also spent plenty of time through the midfield and even up forward, where he had an impact, booting five goals for the season. His biggest strengths are his speed, agility, and foot skills. Ash has the ability to open up the game with just one kick, which he displayed throughout the season when he executed some superb kicks into the middle of the ground. He is definitely not afraid to take the game on and is always trying to find a way where he can just tuck the ball under his arm and then his agility to manoeuvre his way around the opposition. During the AFL Under-18 National Championships, Ash was able to pull off some miraculous kicks by foot that not many in this draft class would be able to execute. He has excellent penetration with his kicks and what makes Ash an even more enticing prospect, is that he’s just as good on his non-preferred foot, an attribute that boosts his chances of developing into an elite footballer at the next level.

Although, Ash is close to being described as an all-around footballer, the penetrating half-back can further work on his midfield craft, particularly on the inside. The signs he showed during the NAB League season indicate that he definitely has the potential to move into the midfield at the next level, but most likely on the outside of the contest where he can do the most damage. If he can add that inside element to his game – he has the athletic traits to do so – then he becomes a more damaging player who can run through multiple roles. In saying that, like many of the top prospects in the draft, his traits are more than enough for him to be a permanent outside midfielder, and his improvements are more areas for him to just become an even better player, rather than ones that will hinder him going forward.
As it nears the 2019 National AFL Draft, Ash is firming as top 10 pick or potentially, top five. After a consistent season at the Murray Bushrangers and for Vic Country, his draft stocks have only risen as the year has progressed. He would be best suited at an AFL club in need of an exciting, running defender who is elite on both sides of the body and most importantly, some very impressive leadership qualities that are very hard to come by from such a young player.

DRAFT RANGE: 3-10

Last edited:

STRENGTHS:
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

While that's true, he has already been playing against men in the SANFL so he could possibly come straight into our side.

Last edited:

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Sharp is one of the better outside midfielders in this year’s AFL Draft pool, often using his skills and athleticism to break the lines.”

ONE of just three players to earn dual Under-18 All-Australian jumpers in the past two seasons, Sharp is an outside midfielder with plenty of upside. His decision making with ball-in-hand combined with his penetrating kick, make him a damaging midfielder/half-back flanker with similar football and athletic traits to Collingwood’s Jack Crisp. He is also athletically sound with good speed and good endurance, with the versatility to play around the ground, having even spent time in the forward half of the ground for his state. When he improves his inside game and can iron out his kicking consistency to best utilise his long-range kicking, he has the potential to become an even more damaging midfielder at the higher level.

STRENGTHS:
Speed
Penetrating kick
Athleticism
Endurance
Versatility
Outside game

IMPROVEMENTS:
Contested work
Intercept marking
Kicking consistency

There were high expectations on Sharp for 2019 after he starred as a bottom-ager last year, and he handled it with aplomb. In six games for East Fremantle’s League team, he averaged 16 possessions, five marks, three inside 50s, two tackles and booted three goals, with his best performance coming against Peel in round 15 (20 possessions, six marks, five inside 50s, three tackles and a goal). Even when playing against the bigger-bodies, Sharp showed a willingness to take the game on whether it be through his speed or his penetrating kicking skills. At the senior level he also showed he could adapt to different roles, playing as a half-back flanker as well as a wingman. Certainly looking at Sharp from a raw canvas view, he has the athletic traits as well as the raw footballing traits to have an impact at senior level sooner, rather than later.

He was also solid for Western Australia at this year’s AFL Under-18 National Championships, where he averaged 21 possessions, six marks and booted three goals across four games, which saw him earn All-Australian selection. His best performances for the Sandgropers came against Vic Metro (21 possessions and three marks), and Vic Country (20 possessions, 11 marks and a goal). At the National Combine, Sharp produced some outstanding results in the yo-yo test (level 21.3), the 20m sprint (2.97 seconds), and the 2km time trial (6:12 minutes), showing off his athletic capabilities that he produces on the field.
However, if Sharp is to reach his true ceiling he must get better with his contested side of the game and iron out the inconsistencies by foot. At this year’s AFL Under-18 National Championships, he only averaged five contested possessions and two clearances, which could have recruiters questioning his inside midfield capabilities.

Despite this, once he is in an AFL system, it is more than likely he will improve this aspect of his game. Sharp’s inconsistencies by foot see him being able to hit targets from 50m away, but also producing a number of clangers or turnovers – which can sometimes occur from opposition pressure worrying him out of it. Once he can begin to reduce that amount of turnovers, and fully utilise his deep range kicking, he will be an incredibly dangerous player. Finally the other aspect of Sharp’s game that needs improving is his ability to take intercept marks when he’s stationed in defence. If he is able to add this string to his bow, Sharp’s potential as a medium-sized defender will rise, as he will be able to help his team regain possession to help wrestle back momentum. Overall, Sharp has plenty to work with and is a player that will no doubt catch the eye once he gets up and going.

DRAFT RANGE: 15-40

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “A ready-made midfielder with the potential to impact immediately thanks to his endurance and ball-winning abilities.”

TIRELESS runner Dylan Stephens has been one of South Australia’s most identifiable prospects in 2019 and his brilliant season been awarded with Under-18 All-Australian selection and Norwood’s McCallum Trophy Rising Star Award. Stephens made his senior Norwood debut in the second round after dominating in the opening round of the SANFL reserves, he went on to make a further 11 appearances alternating between commitments with the South Australian U18 side mid season. Stephens has showcased his brilliant outside game on multiple occasions and has also impressed when moved into the middle of the ground with his performance in the SANFL Reserves Grand Final testament to that. Dylan’s terrific skills align with his natural ability to break the lines, win loose balls around the ground, and burst away from stoppages when winning a contested ball. Stephens can follow in the footsteps of the South Australia talent of the previous draft year and seamlessly acquit himself on a wing in his first senior season.

STRENGTHS:
Running capacity
Athleticism
Balanced midfielder
Kick penetration
Defensive workrate

IMPROVEMENTS:
Strength
Contested work

Stephens was able to flash his natural abilities throughout the course of the SANFL and National U18 Championships. The final game of the National Championships saw Stephens have a blinding performance with a game-high 33 disposals that included nine clearances. Stephens pin-point kicking and inside 50 penetration was evident as the Allies could not stop his accumulation around the ground, with his neat left foot giving recruiters plenty to like. Another standout match came against Sturt in the SANFL elimination final which saw Stephens have no issues adjusting to a cut-throat final. It wasn’t his most prolific but his defensive component to the game was outstanding with the eagerness to chase, pressure and tackle. His outside game has been tremendous, the most obvious asset to his armoury so far and his earned him comparisons to AFL stars Andrew Gaff and Lachie Whitfield. Dylan’s continuous movement is supplemented by the capacity to lead up to the ball, break away from the pack and use the ball wisely when entering forward 50. Stephens is a superb athlete displaying his speed (2.97 20m sprint), endurance (21.2 Yo-Yo test), agility (8.24 seconds), and 2km time trial time of 6.01 minutes at the National Draft Combine. A typical improvement for a player in Dylan’s position is to add more muscle to his light frame to be able to withstand the rigours of football at the highest level, while building his contested numbers. He is likely to play that wing role at AFL level, but has shown he can play on the inside, but still with a high-leaning uncontested ball. In many ways, he could develop into that Steele Sidebottom type midfielder, where at times his contested possession rate could move to the mid-late thirties more so than around the one-third mark. Overall, given his skills, athleticism and work rate, Stephens is a standout midfielder, and the top outside-leaning midfielder in the draft crop.

DRAFT RANGE: 3-12

Perfect for our needs

Think our two main targets should be Ash then Stephens.
Sharpe at our second rounder if he’s still there

Turner was 67kg when he was drafted. Didn't stop him demolishing his opponents. Good thing about Stephens is that he has a really solid endurance base so he can basically bulk up and get ready for senior exposure.

Turner was 67kg when he was drafted. Didn't stop him demolishing his opponents. Good thing about Stephens is that he has a really solid endurance base so he can basically bulk up and get ready for senior exposure.

This kid ain't Kayne Turner.

He'll need a very good tackling technique to play AFL midfield at 69kgs.

I'd still be wrapped to have him, but I don't expect too much in the first 12 months.

STRENGTHS:
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

I think you’ll be surprised how quickly this kid will develop physically. He has quite solid legs and is broad across the shoulders, I think he’ll have a similar body shape to Isaac Smith by the time he fills out.

I’m tipping he’d already be 73-74kg looking at the clips from his finals. Bailey was low 70’s when he debuted at the start of the year.

I think you’ll be surprised how quickly this kid will develop physically. He has quite solid legs and is broad across the shoulders, I think he’ll have a similar body shape to Isaac Smith by the time he fills out.

I’m tipping he’d already be 73-74kg looking at the clips from his finals. Bailey was low 70’s when he debuted at the start of the year.

Hey, I would be very pleased to be proven incorrect.

The only thing that makes me question Ash or Young’s recruitment with pick 8 is that they are both very one dimensional. Both have struggled when they’ve been pushed into the midfield at NAB league level.

The big positive about the two of them though is that they have great balance between the negating and attacking side of their game. Especially Young who is a beautiful intercept mark and reader of the play.

The only thing that makes me question Ash or Young’s recruitment with pick 8 is that they are both very one dimensional. Both have struggled when they’ve been pushed into the midfield at NAB league level.

The big positive about the two of them though is that they have great balance between the negating and attacking side of their game. Especially Young who is a beautiful intercept mark and reader of the play.

Do they have to be turned into midfielders though?

Why not let them play to their strengths? If that means they stay defenders, so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with your thoughts on both of these players rf, but at pick 9, I'm not convinced that any of the MIDs left will end up being better players than either Ash or Young. If the club thinks that any of Flanders, Serong or Stephens will be that, then they should go for them. Personally, I have my doubts.

The fact that both Ash & Young break the lines (and will therefore have excellent "metres gained" stats), kinda makes them the equivalent of a midfielder anyway.

As for which one I'd pick, it's a matter of do we want a Saad/JJ/K.Simpson type or a Burchill/Sicily/Salem type. Chances are that - at best - only 1 will be there at our pick anyway. Hell, it could be only 1 of the 5 players I've mentioned that we have to pick from.

Re: Stephens, we'd want to hope that he turns into more of a Jackson Macrae than an Ashley Watson (who we used pick 14 on for all of 7 games!).

Last edited:
I agree with your thoughts on both of these players rf, but at pick 9, I'm not convinced that any of the MIDs left will end up being better players than either Ash or Young. If the club thinks that any of Flanders, Serong or Stephens will be that, then they should go for them. Personally, I have my doubts.

The fact that both Ash & Young break the lines (and will therefore have excellent "metres gained" stats), kinda makes them the equivalent of a midfielder anyway.

As for which one I'd pick, it's a matter of do we want a Saad/JJ/K.Simpson type or a Burchill/Sicily/Salem type. Chances are that - at best - only 1 will be there at our pick anyway. Hell, it could be only 1 of the 5 players I've mentioned that we have to pick from.

Re: Stephens, we'd want to hope that he turns into more of a Jackson Macrae than an Ashley Watson (who we used pick 14 on for all of 7 games!).

There’s a name a name from the past - Watson would of been 70kgs wringing wet.
This first rounder we need to get right - a player should be still available that can fit two of our most pressing needs. Outside mid and rebounding defender - Get it right north

Young played midfield for his rep side did wellish as he played more and more there Ash didn’t really move around. Young would transition quicker to mid then Ash but they are good and very different quality half backs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thoughts as to whether we should be drafting a KPF? Might be handy to have a kid developing in the scoobs. Not entirely sold on Xerri as a KPF.

Thoughts as to whether we should be drafting a KPF? Might be handy to have a kid developing in the scoobs. Not entirely sold on Xerri as a KPF.

Yeah, will probably look for another Larkey later on.

Kemp is only 192cms, so probably not a true KPF if he doesn't work out in the midfield. Could be more than handy there though if that's who we end up selecting at pick 9.

Ash has every trait to make it at the top level; speed, skill, poise and smarts.

What’s impressing me more and more about this kid is that the constant noise about his leadership and being a general down back.

Sounds like he’s got a lot of Hodge and Hurn about him.. future premiership captain perhaps?.. where do I sign?..

Any word on our nga Mcguiness?

It's hard to get a feel for what happens with Matt McGuiness.

I've watched him play for the last few years in particular and personally, I really like what I see! He's composed, a good reader of the play, nice kick and not afraid to take players on.

I'd have no problem bringing him into the club however we can (rookie spot most probable).

Keep an eye on Oliver Davis from Tassie also next year, not NGA, but the kids going to be pretty good!

Geelong into Mitch O’Neill so I'm told (I really love how this kid goes about his footy, quality person also!).

It's hard to get a feel for what happens with Matt McGuiness.

I've watched him play for the last few years in particular and personally, I really like what I see! He's composed, a good reader of the play, nice kick and not afraid to take players on.

I'd have no problem bringing him into the club however we can (rookie spot most probable).

Keep an eye on Oliver Davis from Tassie also next year, not NGA, but the kids going to be pretty good!

Geelong into Mitch O’Neill so I'm told (I really love how this kid goes about his footy, quality person also!).
Thanks,

He is KPP size isn't he? Really impressed me in some of the televised junior/draft games I have watched him in.

We need one for sure. I haven’t seen enough progress in Xerri to be filled with confidence.

Jake Riccardi from Werribee would fit the bill. Still not sure where he going to be picked.

Emerson Jeka from the Jets could be an option late. He was rated in the top 15 prospects this year but hasn’t come on as much as people thoughts. Good runner, strong hands but his goal kicking really let him down this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back