List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not exactly clear the way you've written it.

So North have pick 27.
They don't want it , because its an unlucky number in some suburbs North of Melbourne

So North like us so much they will trade us 27 for 3 late picks?
One is our 51.
Then Ports. 4th round? So that's the 2020 4th round pick we got as part of the Howard/Ryder trade.

Then because the deal isn't real good we swap 5th rounders because ours is 2 picks earlier.

Thats a great deal. We get to swap our crap picks with their good pick.
Why don't you go onto the Norf board and suggest it.

I like not being shot.

Update:

Saints want Biggy if they can get him before anyone else.

Plus the club will go down the mature route apparantly.

Next year's first might get offered up too. Bit of talk around this.

Update:

Plus the club will go down the mature route apparantly.

Next year's first might get offered up too. Bit of talk around this.
How can we offer next year's first up when we have traded away our 2nd and 3rd rounders Mr Flamingo?

How can we offer next year's first up when we have traded away our 2nd and 3rd rounders Mr Flamingo?
If we get a first back, in other words do a deal like Carltank and Crows. Risky though, I'd prefer to play with the cards we have

No there gambling on stkilda finishing lower then them and 51 is thrown in as steak knives, think the Carlton/Adelaide deal last year.

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say your deal is ludicrous and won't happen. None of them give a crap about pick 51, when we are talking first rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get a first back, in other words do a deal like Carltank and Crows. Risky though, I'd prefer to play with the cards we have

Any Round 1 pick from 2020 would only be traded at a huge discount.

Reason being is there are almost twenty likely FS and Academy picks next year. Quite a number will go first round.

Even in a good tear next year picks are discounted by say 20% of their value, and may be more due to risk.

But with all those players to be bid a Pick 8 may slide to a Pick 18.

Now a club with some good F/S or Academy picks may fancy our first pick next year, but I cannot see any club giving us a good deal for it. And then if we slide it would hurt like hell next year having swapped say pick 17 for pick 1/2.

Also trading our first rounder makes it harder to trade fora good player in 2020.

With Bytel and King to be blooded in 2020, and Clark, Coffield and Battle all deserving of more gametime in the seniors already I just do not see the urgency of gaining an earlier pick in the 2020 draft when tradewise we will have to pay overs to get it.

Last edited:
Update:

Common Sense:

Under the bidding system even if he goes early the Saints can select him and so your post makes no sense.

If he went first round however I doubt the club would bid on him.

If our List Management team has any sense, and this trade period it would seem they do, they will have worked out what pick they are happy to match him on. Or if they do not rate him that highly they may wait till our second or third pick, or even rookie him.

At present our Pick 51 seems to be overs for him and so it would not surprise me that we try and get him with our second pick.

This of course what I am guessing and not hearing...

Any Round 1 pick from 2020 would only be traded at a huge discount.

Reason being is there are almost twenty likely FS and Academy picks next year. Quitea number will go first round.

Even in a good tear next year picks are discounted by say 20% of their value, and may be more due to risk.

But with all those players to be bid a Pick 8 may slide to a Pick 18.

Now a club with some good F/S or Academy picks may fancy our first pick next year, but I cannot see any club giving us a good deal for it. And then if we slide it would hurt like hell next year having swapped say pick 17 for pick 1/2.

Also trading our first rounder makes it harder to trade fora good player in 2020.

With Bytel and King to be blooded in 2020, and Clark, Coffield and Battle all deserving of more gametime in the seniors already I just do not see the urgency of gaining an earlier pick in the 2020 draft when tradewise we will have to pay overs to get it.

Was just about to post something similar.

Let's say for one second that the AFL let us trade our 2020 1st for one this year.....

Even then, the only clubs who would do it would be those who gain an advantage from the pick swap. Most pundits would have us getting a top 10 pick next year. So only a club with a pick between 11 and 18 would even entertain it without significant sweeteners which we don't have. Those with F/S or academy picks would look to use later picks.

I don't see the benefit in trading next year's first for a pick between 11 and 18 this year unless they think this year is so much better than next year... and again no club would trade themselves out of this year if that's the case.

We have had a good period. Let's just be happy with that

I'm expecting us to pick up a recycled/mature age mid type.

The options at the moment for delisted mids/small forwards are:

Ben Keays (22, 30 games)
Nick Robertson (24, 73 games)
Josh Deluca (23, 10 games)
Harley Bennell (26, 83 games)
Jordan Cunico (23, 15 games)
Jay Kennedy-Harris (24, 39 games)
Billy Stretch (23, 47 games)
Nathan Hrovat (25, 69 games)
Connor Menadue (23, 39 games)
James Rose (23, 14 games)
Chris Masten (30, 215 games)
Lukas Webb (23, 24 games)
Sam Murray (22, 13 games)
Brad Scheer (21, 13 games)
Jacob Townsend (26, 48 games)

Doesn't look like much gold there to me.

Surely these two state league guys are miles ahead?

Luke Partington (22, 6 games)
Mitch Hibberd (22, 4 games)

But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a name no-one had considered, like last year.

There was pretty much zero advanced knowledge about the mature aged strategy last year.
One poster has hit the nail on the head recently by acknowledging our lack of picks and necessary rookie upgrades, leaving us hamstrung.

But if last years first live trading example means anything, the picks you start with mean so not much live trade time.

It's an opeon barrel now.

It will be Luke Richards (wafl) and Michael Zambixo (tas)
and we'll all be like wtf!? who are they?

I'm expecting us to pick up a recycled/mature age mid type.

The options at the moment for delisted mids/small forwards are:

Ben Keays (22, 30 games)
Nick Robertson (24, 73 games)
Josh Deluca (23, 10 games)
Harley Bennell (26, 83 games)
Jordan Cunico (23, 15 games)
Jay Kennedy-Harris (24, 39 games)
Billy Stretch (23, 47 games)
Nathan Hrovat (25, 69 games)
Connor Menadue (23, 39 games)
James Rose (23, 14 games)
Chris Masten (30, 215 games)
Lukas Webb (23, 24 games)
Sam Murray (22, 13 games)
Brad Scheer (21, 13 games)
Jacob Townsend (26, 48 games)

Doesn't look like much gold there to me.

Surely these two state league guys are miles ahead?

Luke Partington (22, 6 games)
Mitch Hibberd (22, 4 games)

But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a name no-one had considered, like last year.

Good post Bergolts.

I am generally against picking up other teams discards but gees there is some talent on that list. Partington is the one who interests me, I believe we should go and draft him as a delisted free agent. It may mean that we will have to make more list space, which will make things tough.

Parker was 47, and the Hind at 54, Young at 67 and then Wilkie the best of the lot as our rookie selection. Our first pick is 51.

Highlights Package Picks at State Level area lot less certain as they just may be able to do those highlights due to it being a lower level. The success of Wilkie I think will give our recruiters poise to reflect and this year they will look go for for the more disciplined and accomplished player like Wilkie rather than the highlights type. Passing over Picket and Stack the bad boys may also give them something to think about..

I suspect that if a kid they really like at 51 is still there they will take him, but it is more probable that they all be gone and so they will take the best state league player they can find that suits our needs. Partington certainly fits the bill if he is still there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back