AFLW 2019 Expansion - Welcome North/Tas and Geelong (WCE, GC, Rich, Stk in 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

The link with Hawthorn & NM is financial. We have no club engaged to any real degree to community or its football. They play their footy, kiss some babies & FO home. So their is no real link or benefit to our football unlike in Vic, WA, SA, NSW or Qld. Its a quantum interaction here.
The Women look to have some playing arrangement as I understand it. How much remains to be seen I guess. But good luck to them.
Tassie girls playing for the same team in Tassie is a step in the right direction. And North should be hands on trying to get "local" talent in that side via their academy.

I am not too fussed with names or jumpers. It's nice I guess(just not Tassie please) but a pathway for locals to the elite level without moving state would be much much nicer.

ps. surely they have to use North Hobart Oval as a home ground due to the cricket. Either way, they should use NHO. It perfectly suits AFLW more than anything. Easy to get to being the most obvious reason. I really want NHO to be used for something. it is a wonderful ground.

York Park, of course, would be used for Northern games. Last time i checked, they dont play cricket on that ground.

Geelong is keen to play at Simonds Stadium, as its VFLW side did on occasion this year.

Excellent!

Now we're guaranteed funding for the final stage of Kardinia Park.

All we have to do is ask "How deeply is this Local/State/Federal government committed to women's sport?" Especially in a *cough* marginal*cough* regional city.

Excellent!

All we have to do is ask "How deeply is this Local/State/Federal government committed to women's sport?" Especially in a *cough* marginal*cough* regional city.

What, more than the 190 million they've already spent on a rural facility second to none in the country already?

Tas is getting half a AFLW team, on a FIFO basis, branded as a Vic club.
Tas already has more than half of an AFL team (7/11 home games, split between 2) on a FIFO basis, branded as a Vic club.

If anything, the men are still ahead in representation at the top level.

The AFL will ensure Hawthorn are booted out of Tassie at the end of our deal. The only question is, do North Melbourne realise the AFL are condemning them to insignificance but are willing to take the money being offered, or do they delusionally think the club is better off mostly being in Tasmania?

God, i hope they change the jumper. Tassie should never ever be used on official names or top. Please, call it North Melbourne-TASMANIA Kangaroos and not use Tassie.

That is one ugly top. Tassie........:$
Probably should have kept the stripes, ditched the words and just had a white overlay of Tassie ontop of the blue and white stripes with the roo in the middle of the map, not ontop.
Excellent!

Princes Park will be getting major VicGov money next to make it the HQ of AFLW, night lights and such, the AFL has already paid for a new placing surface which is being installed now (it was torn up two weeks ago). Punt Road seems like it'll get a bit of cash injection too. I think future Kardinia Park upgrades will be announced after the state election since they can point to the last upgrades for this election still.

So much sulking from the Essendon supporters in here, yet if their club had bothered to chase this from the outset instead of trying to bandwagon on after last season, they'd have a license. Today's outcome suggests that the AFL were very conscious of rewarding those teams with the provisional licenses who helped lay a competitive foundation for the league before it even existed.

That left one license, and creating a 50-50 split between Victorian and non-Victorian, as well as engaging a thriving participation market clearly outweighed adding just another big Victorian club. If anything, women's football could be the major factor that accelerates any growth in the expansion club fanbases.
I agree and am actually not upset we missed out. It was a mistake on behalf not to show interest at first and then want to rock up late to the party.

How's the structure of the competition going to work once it goes to 14+ teams? Can't play everyone in the Feb-March slot without clashing with the AFL into April/early May. Can't really start earlier than late January either.

Ideally one day the competition is fully professional, everyone plays each other once + rivalry round (derbies,etc) + 4 weeks finals - i.e 22 week season, and part of the season clashes with the men but it is well managed.

But is the AFL going to make that jump in 2020? Or do we end up with two conferences of 7 in the Feb-March slot with just a similar number of games still. I'm thinking it might be the latter. Although it can't just remain a 7-10 week season forever.

The AFL will ensure Hawthorn are booted out of Tassie at the end of our deal. The only question is, do North Melbourne realise the AFL are condemning them to insignificance but are willing to take the money being offered, or do they delusionally think the club is better off mostly being in Tasmania?

The grapes are sour this week!

How's the structure of the competition going to work once it goes to 14+ teams? Can't play everyone in the Feb-March slot without clashing with the AFL into April/early May. Can't really start earlier than late January either.

Ideally one day the competition is fully professional, everyone plays each other once + rivalry round (derbies,etc) + 4 weeks finals - i.e 22 week season, and part of the season clashes with the men but it is well managed.

But is the AFL going to make that jump in 2020? Or do we end up with two conferences of 7 in the Feb-March slot with just a similar number of games still. I'm thinking it might be the latter. Although it can't just remain a 7-10 week season forever.

The short answer is nobody seems to know yet, including the AFL (otherwise, why not tell us).

There's a few threads on this board discussing ideas about this topic which you may find worth perusing. One of the things I've asked before (and it specifically relates to one of the things you've mentioned) is why can't it start in, say, November and have a mid-season break over Christmas?

The short answer is nobody seems to know yet, including the AFL (otherwise, why not tell us).

There's a few threads on this board discussing ideas about this topic which you may find worth perusing. One of the things I've asked before (and it specifically relates to one of the things you've mentioned) is why can't it start in, say, November and have a mid-season break over Christmas?

I think this it where it should head. Play the first half of the season from the start of november to mid December....then play the last 5 or so rounds and finals from the first week of feb with the GF having the weekend to itself before the start of the afl

For the next two seasons I'd say it is more likely to remain as is. There is also every chance it will remain a 2 month apertiser long term and split in to conferences or divisions or otherwise expand into the men's season. I personally think that would be the least advisable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL will ensure Hawthorn are booted out of Tassie at the en
I think this it where it should head. Play the first half of the season from the start of november to mid December....then play the last 5 or so rounds and finals from the first week of feb with the GF having the weekend to itself before the start of the afl

For the next two seasons I'd say it is more likely to remain as is. There is also every chance it will remain a 2 month apertiser long term and split in to conferences or divisions or otherwise expand into the men's season. I personally think that would be the least advisable

Its football. Why not play it in winter?

Its football. Why not play it in winter?

Why not just smother it while its in its infancy? Playing it in summer has huge advantages for the AFL. The dedicated AFL media have something to do over the summer, the AFL keeps churning out its own publicity all year round, and women get their own spotlight without being hidden behind the men.

Why not just smother it while its in its infancy? Playing it in summer has huge advantages for the AFL. The dedicated AFL media have something to do over the summer, the AFL keeps churning out its own publicity all year round, and women get their own spotlight without being hidden behind the men.

Well said....I feel you and others have said the same many times before

But to be fair, people like this....madmug dude who haven't spent much time hanging around these footy industry / women's footy boards may not have been exposed to this kind of thinking

But to be fair, people like this....madmug dude who haven't spent much time hanging around these footy industry / women's footy boards may not have been exposed to this kind of thinking

madmug has been around on industry for a while - any thread that involves Tasmania at least. He's not wrong btw, its all opinion.

I'm thinking of them playing in summer conditions.

I certainly pick up my ears when AFL & Tasmania are mentioned. We've been used by the VFL, now the AFL for too long & to the severe detriment to our football. Then we get criticised on high for the poor state of Tasmanian football. Go figure.

I also make comment with the aim of eliciting some discussion & seeing other peoples perspective & thoughts. Sorry if thats a problem to you.

I certainly pick up my ears when AFL & Tasmania are mentioned. We've been used by the VFL, now the AFL for too long & to the severe detriment to our football. Then we get criticised on high for the poor state of Tasmanian football. Go figure.

I also make comment with the aim of eliciting some discussion & seeing other peoples perspective & thoughts. Sorry if thats a problem to you.

Well aware you a somewhat invested in the belief that Tasmania has had a raw deal off it

In terms of the aflw not playing in winter, that's certainly part of the idea of playing in the november to mid December window as well, but breaking for 5 weeks in january.

Agree with the wookie, it is not ideal but it is better than the alternative of being drowned out by the men's season

Eventually it has to be played at least partly in winter I think. I don't think it's viable long term as a summer sport. However it needs to be a summer sport now for the space.

One of the big issues to negotiate in the future is the transition.

Start early, get well into the season before the men start, finish in the first half of the men's season.

They will get there by trial and error. In a few years, have it overlap the men a bit, see what happens, rinse and repeat.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Well aware you a somewhat invested in the belief that Tasmania has had a raw deal off it

In terms of the aflw not playing in winter, that's certainly part of the idea of playing in the november to mid December window as well, but breaking for 5 weeks in january.

Agree with the wookie, it is not ideal but it is better than the alternative of being drowned out by the men's season

I don't think a split season would work too well. Not only would it be hard on players to do effectively 2 short seasons with 2 preseasons, both mentally & physically hard to do, It would also clash with both mens & especially with womens cricket.

I wouldn't think a media fight between those two sports would not be good for either. Keeping the AFLW season in one block & ending at the start of the AFL season might be the best option now. It may be an option as the competition grows, to play some women's games through the start of the AFL proper, & play on a Monday, a Tuesday &/or a Wednesday night on tv? Its all about TV after all.!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back