News 2019 Fixture - Full Fixture Confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

419F5C98-6D6F-48D3-A2FD-61717493963D.jpeg

I think that is pretty reasonable. It's easy to look at the ladder and go "oh saints are two and ten - richo gotta go" but if we are 2-8 with good solid efforts of five or less goal losses against the better sides such as GWS, Melbourne, West Coast and Collingwood then I'd say you have to look at how the second half of the season goes before making a knee jerk reaction to dump him.

But this is St Kilda - we love to sack a bitch - I'd say Richo is most likely dead man walking.

Here's a thought... if it's good enough for me and Dr Spaceman etc to travel from geelong to melb to catch our boys play week in week out, maybe some of you can survive doing it back the other way just once. And the good news is we even got electricity and running water this year so you'll have a ball!

Jeez, talk about precious ;)
Doesn't the power go out the moment those lights turn on?

This year all you'll get is Geelong gloating about 09.

I have traveled 2 hours on a 2 trains to get down there to only watch us get flogged by 90 points.

I forgot to say before I love Geelong - it’s a beautiful city and I’ve got nothing against the locals (except the football team they support lol) but I hate playing there because we suck there. I actually think we’re a chance to knock them off at marvel next year. I feel like next year they might slide down the ladder a bit.

But at their home ground? No chance.

Doesn't the power go out the moment those lights turn on?

This year all you'll get is Geelong gloating about 09.

I have traveled 2 hours on a 2 trains to get down there to only watch us get flogged by 90 points.
But you got take two trains!!!!

Our list
very thin list very poor list
Our Caoch

2018 has a lot more relevance then 2017 only as good as your last game/season

By the way i hope you're right

We win 9 or more games will shout you lunch at the Railway
We have the easiest draw in the league, if we improve even marginally we will jump back up towards the eight. By all measurements we had a very tough draw in 2018, that is not an excuse, just fact. I wouldn't be surprised if we won more than 10 games next year. Lunch sounds good, lol.

Bloody hell, I read the fixture and came in here expecting everyone to be celebrating a fixture that is finally easier than the league average.

Instead I get a bunch of babies crying that we were "shafted" and bitching about minor points.

I get the pessimism, but I just find this constant victim mentality by some supporters on here so tiring. It really is such loser talk, and other clubs would laugh in our face deservedly as a response after we got such a easy draw this year.

No Eagles in Perth, no Port in Port, two of our away matches being against Gold Coast and Freo, playing Freo, Carlton and Gold Coast twice, a couple of self-made marquee games in Pride game and Maddie's Match plus a new one in China thoughtfully placed between the Carlton match and the bye, starting the season at home to the probable 2019 wooden spooners.

That is a cotton wool and training wheels fixture that we should be loving after our recent season, and the tough recent fixtures, but oohh nooo it's better to whinge like a bunch of victims.

Our fixture is fine, and we have less excuse for failure than normal.
Yes agree with this. Would be an understatement to say I am bored of it.

We have the easiest draw in the league, if we improve even marginally we will jump back up towards the eight. By all measurements we had a very tough draw in 2018, that is not an excuse, just fact. I wouldn't be surprised if we won more than 10 games next year. Lunch sounds good, lol.

Yes agree with this. Would be an understatement to say I am bored of it.
What are you gunna order George? I hear the steak there is to die for.

You better pay up Mowman :tearsofjoy:

That’s not going to happen.
This is St Kilda.
What about two wins, no blowouts, and a % in the high 90’s (meaning competitive)?
Something that’s neither clear one way or the other.
Your Buddhist outlook should prepare you for such an eventuality. ;)
agreed
that'd be a clear improvement on not only 2018 but 16/17 as well, the % imo is what will count for Richo's job.

Yep: a + w/l would be great, but I suspect the % is going to be the key factor.
Then see what happens after the bye and the easier draw.

To a point, if he's got a big win round one that holds us up but still has 5 or six straight losses the fans will be wanting his head regardless. The payout probably saved him 2018 and performance based 2019 means he's holding on by a fingernail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freo will not be push over next year with their two trades of Hogan and lobbe

I think Hogan still has a foot issue that might not be right for a while. He's got meniscus stress fractures that can be really hard to manage. Neale is a big loss too. I've never been a massive Lobb fan.

I think Hogan still has a foot issue that might not be right for a while. He's got meniscus stress fractures that can be really hard to manage. Neale is a big loss too. I've never been a massive Lobb fan.
He always has done well against us.

Our fixture is fine, and we have less excuse for failure than normal.

This.
We’ve had a year to get over the loss of leadership of Roo and Joey.
Unfortunately the next tier in Ross, Bruce (inj) Weller and Newnes just didn’t step up.

My money’s on Steele, Gresh, Billings, Acres and Paddy, with the help of Hanners, to really step up leadership wise next season.

Much easier draw than last year.

One assumes a better list and better coaching staff with better infustructure around us.

All emotion taken out I expect somewhere between 6-9 wins injuries partaken.

I think that’s reality. Unless we magically happen to draft Rankine and then it’s norhing short of our second flag.

0x Friday night game
0x Thursday night game
2x Tassie games
majority of Sunday afternoon
no Good Friday game
2x trip to Perth
2x games against Carlton
2x Games against Melbourne
Play Port away from South Australia but as a kicker its in China not Melbourne
1x game at the MCG
2x games in Sydney
2x games in Adelaide.....

not sure who got closest to the pin

Whilst I'm not shocked by our Fixture I'm appalled at the who/when/where of it
Surprised we got so so many Saturday games,
Finiancially it's a disaster, utter disaster
2018 - AFL to St Kilda : "get your house in order"
2019 - AFL to St Kilda : "* your house"

the money they gave us in the new stadium deal they just removed with this fixture
the money we make off the China game goes to covering what we will lose throughout the rest of the year whilst the fat campaigners at the top get fatter

our 2 big games of the year are Saturday nights on Foxtel vs WC and Melbourne
we don't get to host a game vs Coll, Ess, Gee,
1 vs Rich & Melb
we host Hawks, Dogs, Carlton last game Sunday

we had a s**t year but we didn't get banished here, we got relegated.

AFL should have just come out and publicly stated they want Finnis and Richo gone.

the fixture all but confirmed both will be sacked. for two reasons:
1) richo will have two wins when we hit the bye. thats enough to march him, right then and there. there is absolutely no way he escapes that,
2) the fixture is packed with interstate home games. our attendance is going to be very very poor given how poorly performed we will be and how bad the club will be on the nose of supporters. add to that the lack of exposure to big clubs and marque/friday night games.

its a s**t fixture. what a waste of a year it will be.
saying the same thing, opponents may be easier, but money wise we are doomed

With all due respect we are pretty irrelevant at the moment.
Start winning a few and those things will come.
with all due respect, the AFL and their policy is driving this s**t show,
why would anyone pay for a H&A membership when we have 8 games outside Melbourne, our home games are against interstate sides for the majority. We host 5 games vs other Melb sides, 3 buried late Sunday
Win they say and you get what you deserve, we played in consecutive GF's and how may finals did we get to play at our home ground during that period....
we played finals for 6-7 years straight in the 2000's, what did that get the club
we've put more people through the docklands than any other club and what has that got us,
we hold 2 of the top 5 highest attendances at Docklands, hows that gone for us.

It's one thing to reward performances, its another to remove any chance that clubs have to propel themselves forwards. even if we do win, even if we do transform into a top 4 team, do you think we'd get anywhere close to what Coll, Ess, Rich get. We'd all be estatic with 4 Friday games when we are relevant yet Ess get that many when they win the wooden spoon.

The same AFL that was bemoaning our Financial position 12 months age gave us a draw the basically removes any chance this club had of improving that very position they're moaning about.

this fish stinks

Yeah I'm pretty pissed about it 1 step forwards from the club and the AFL sets us 10 paces back, it never ends.

has Matt performed poorly though ?
Richo has for sure but has Matt? commercially we are going strong having the year we just had would have crippled us in previous years yet because of what has been in place because of Matt we have been able to ride the wave of this year ... i get the anger and the want to make someone accountable but do you cut your nose of to spite your face ? if we sack Finnis for the failings of Richo who do we fill that chair with ? and how do we know we prevent replacing him with an Archie Fraser type ... the good Matt has done out weighs the negative by a long stretch

its very 50/50 imo
Commercially and Moorabbin have been good, but as I've outlined above, as a small club if you don't win, the AFL likes to punish you and your ability to be commercially viable. Lets see how many sponsors we gain/lose next pre season because the exposure they has been granted isnt worth the money they are paying.
It's not Matt's fault we played poorly, but it is his fault we extended a contract that didn't warrant it, it is his fault the entire footy dept needed overhauling 5 years after he took the reins.

I'm not calling for his head, I see the good, but the bad is pretty crippling. Richo gets sacked because of Richo, Matt may well get the ass because he didn't employ people to cover his own shortcomings (Footy Boss), but again my pitchfork is still in the shed.

Is the restructure Matt's work or Lethlean's. for me, seems more like Lethlean's, so where does that leave Matt?

2019 - AFL to St Kilda : "**** your house"

the money they gave us in the new stadium deal they just removed with this fixture
the money we make off the China game goes to covering what we will lose throughout the rest of the year whilst the fat campaigners at the top get fatter

1 vs Rich & Melb

why would anyone pay for a H&A membership when we have 8 games outside Melbourne, our home games are against interstate sides for the majority. We host 5 games vs other Melb sides, 3 buried late Sunday
Win they say and you get what you deserve, we played in consecutive GF's and how may finals did we get to play at our home ground during that period....
we played finals for 6-7 years straight in the 2000's, what did that get the club
we've put more people through the docklands than any other club and what has that got us,

It's one thing to reward performances, its another to remove any chance that clubs have to propel themselves forwards. even if we do win, even if we do transform into a top 4 team, do you think we'd get anywhere close to what Coll, Ess, Rich get. We'd all be estatic with 4 Friday games when we are relevant yet Ess get that many when they win the wooden spoon.

The same AFL that was bemoaning our Financial position 12 months age gave us a draw the basically removes any chance this club had of improving that very position they're moaning about.

this fish stinks

Yeah I'm pretty pissed about it 1 step forwards from the club and the AFL sets us 10 paces back, it never ends.

its very 50/50 imo
Commercially and Moorabbin have been good, but as I've outlined above, as a small club if you don't win, the AFL likes to punish you and your ability to be commercially viable. Lets see how many sponsors we gain/lose next pre season because the exposure they has been granted isnt worth the money they are paying.
It's not Matt's fault we played poorly, but it is his fault we extended a contract that didn't warrant it, it is his fault the entire footy dept needed overhauling 5 years after he took the reins.

I'm not calling for his head, I see the good, but the bad is pretty crippling. Richo gets sacked because of Richo, Matt may well get the ass because he didn't employ people to cover his own shortcomings (Footy Boss), but again my pitchfork is still in the shed.

Is the restructure Matt's work or Lethlean's. for me, seems more like Lethlean's, so where does that leave Matt?
Real tin hat stuff.

Why buy a H&A membership?

Because you can watch Saints play 10 home games at Marvel stadium, including ones against the premiers and 3 other Victorian AFL 2018 finalists, plus another high drawing game against non finalists Carlton.

Yes, we also play interstate teams for home games, and play a lot of away games at different grounds and only one away game at our home ground.

Still a paying member gets access to plenty of great games against good teams or games where we actually have a good chance of winning. Two really good reasons to go if you ask me.

Also, we play the MCG 3 times, a lucrative home game in China and touch base with our Tassie connection.

I'm struggling to see how you would be satisfied: we DO have to play some away games against Victorian teams and some of our home games will have to be with low drawing clubs, that's just a fact of the current AFL landscape.

AFL should have just come out and publicly stated they want Finnis and Richo gone.

the fixture all but confirmed both will be sacked. for two reasons:
1) richo will have two wins when we hit the bye. thats enough to march him, right then and there. there is absolutely no way he escapes that,
2) the fixture is packed with interstate home games. our attendance is going to be very very poor given how poorly performed we will be and how bad the club will be on the nose of supporters. add to that the lack of exposure to big clubs and marque/friday night games.

its a s**t fixture. what a waste of a year it will be.
By the looks of it given the times on the fixture we will be on FTA Tv about 2 times no one will know where in the comp.

2019 - AFL to St Kilda : "**** your house"

1 vs Rich & Melb

this fish stinks

its very 50/50 imo

I agree, it's a commercially devastating fixture but in reality it's our own fault. If we can rebuilt the perceived momentum we will attract players, sponsors and members.

The clubs put in requests for games. I can almost guarantee we asked for fixturing that meant we weren't exposed to low drawing teams at home. Now we have the money from gate takings from the stadium, we also lose when we don't get people through the gates. We have to start performing and bringing people back. Novelty rounds and stuff don't do that, strong performance that hints at ultimate success does. The club has had a wake up call and has started to rectify mistakes. That's all we can do now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back