Discussion 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I Rekon it looks tough. We look like we don't hit a soft team until round 8 I think it was when we play a pile of soft teams in a row. If we haven't adjusted to Lyon's game plan early we could be losing every game until then. Then we get back into hard sides again before finishing with a few more soft sides. Hawks, GWS, WCE, Adelaide are probably the only really trash sides next year. We aren't going to get time to adjust, if we don't win a few against sides around your level, the season could be gone before it starts.
If we’re gonna do anything next year we need to beat Ess, Gold Coast At home , port at home , and Kangaroos in the first 8 games . Throw in Freo in round 1 at Marvel where anything can happen as round 1 is unpredictable.
The other 3 are winnable as they’re not Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong or Melbourne so looks pretty good to me .

That looks like being a hell of a lot easier draw than each of the last two years.

Double-ups against North and Hawthorn is pretty huge, as is no game at Geelong.

Less games interstate/Geelong, more games at Marvel, an excellent set of double-ups, including possibly the two worst teams, no sold home games.

And the hard part of our draw being in the 2nd half definitely suits us, with Max (and Hayes) hopefully back then, and with us having had some time to adjust to the new gameplan.

Much much better than the last two years.

We could conceivably win 1-2 more games than last year without even actually improving as a team.

Last edited:

That’s the best draw we’ve had in years. A hell of a lot of games at Marvel and then a few at the MCG which we’ve played well at the last few seasons. And even getting to play Collingwood in the Adelaide round, not a home game for us but not for them either. The idea of Collingwood having to travel warms my cold cold heart.

14 games at Marvel Stadium 2 at the MCG and only go to WA once

That looks like being a hell of a lot easier draw than each of the last two years.

Double-ups against North and Hawthorn is pretty huge, as is no game at Geelong.

Less games interstate/Geelong, more games at Marvel, an excellent set of double-ups, including possibly the two worst teams, no sold home games.

And the hard part of our draw being in the 2nd half definitely suits us, with Max (and Hayes) hopefully back then, and with us having had some time to adjust to the new gameplan.

Much much better than the last two years.

We could conceivably win 1-2 more games than last year without even actually improving as a team.
Would this draw have put Ratts into finals?

3 & 4 are soft af champ, we’re in positivity mode now

I reckon Goldy are ready to explode. Essendon should improve too but regardless of their form we usually s**t ourselves when they turn up. If we can knock off Freo and the Dogs in the first 2 rounds we should okay but we are a mentally soft side and 2 losses could easily send us off the rails.

If we’re gonna do anything next year we need to beat Ess, Gold Coast At home , port at home , and Kangaroos in the first 8 games . Throw in Freo in round 1 at Marvel where anything can happen as round 1 is unpredictable.
The other 3 are winnable as they’re not Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong or Melbourne so looks pretty good to me .

I think we might take a while to adjust to Lyon so think we probably have to come home strong. I expect a bit of a wobbly start and improve our systems and cohesion as we play. If we can nab a couple of early games again similar opposition it will make finals a lot more likely.

Would this draw have put Ratts into finals?
All things being equal, yes.

Playing Port at home when we were on a roll and they were 0-5 or whatever would alone have most likely given us 1 more win and then we would have only needed 1 more on top of that.

And playing two of this years bottom teams one extra time each- rather than say 2 games against top 6 teams- could easily have given us 1 if not two extra wins.

Ratts would have killed for that draw.

St Kilda Saints​

Thursday Nights: 1
Friday Nights: 2
Marquee Match-Ups: Ross vs Fremantle in rd 1 (Marvel Stadium), 150th.
Who You Play Twice: Gold Coast, Carlton, North Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Brisbane.
When Is Your Bye?: round 12
Defining Stretch: Ross Lyon’s Saints might need to be 13-6 after round 20 to play finals — because August games against Carlton, Richmond, Geelong and Brisbane (Gabba) is a scarier finish than The Blair Witch Project. The mood for the 150th birthday party against Essendon at the MCG in round 3 will be set by what happens in a tough opening fortnight against finalists Freo and the Dogs. Contrast the vibe at 2-0 or 0-2.
Expected Finish: 8th-12th
Difficulty RatingSam Landsberger4Avg Fan Rating5
Rate this draw

EASYHARD
v

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda Saints​

Thursday Nights: 1
Friday Nights: 2
Marquee Match-Ups: Ross vs Fremantle in rd 1 (Marvel Stadium), 150th.
Who You Play Twice: Gold Coast, Carlton, North Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Brisbane.
When Is Your Bye?: round 12
Defining Stretch: Ross Lyon’s Saints might need to be 13-6 after round 20 to play finals — because August games against Carlton, Richmond, Geelong and Brisbane (Gabba) is a scarier finish than The Blair Witch Project. The mood for the 150th birthday party against Essendon at the MCG in round 3 will be set by what happens in a tough opening fortnight against finalists Freo and the Dogs. Contrast the vibe at 2-0 or 0-2.
Expected Finish: 8th-12th
Difficulty RatingSam Landsberger4Avg Fan Rating5
Rate this draw

EASYHARD
v

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Richmond and Geelong won't be as scary as they have been in the past even with their new talent pools. Same with the Pies. They have brought in a heap of players. Messing with cohesion is a delicate balance.

I think Port, Essendon and the Dogs should bounce back and be harder sides to play. Carlton and Gold Coast to continue improvement. GWS, Hawks and WCE all poor to non competitive. North and the Crows slightly above them. Freo should be around the same as they were this year. Might improve but lost some pieces.

Melbourne should stay a very good side but Sydney could go either way. Being demolished in a grand final can shellshock players. Brisbane look to have added some much better pieces that will help move them forward so probably deserve early premiership favouritism.

All things being equal, yes.

Playing Port at home when we were on a roll and they were 0-5 or whatever would alone have most likely given us 1 more win and then we would have only needed 1 more on top of that.

And playing two of this years bottom teams one extra time each- rather than say 2 games against top 6 teams- could easily have given us 1 if not two extra wins.

Ratts would have killed for that draw.
Sliding Doors…..

We need to become a side that wins regularly at Marvel again. Win 2/3 of the games there and that's 9-10 wins. We've been average there since Lyon left.
If I’m being tough on us.

Beat North and Hawthorn twice.
Split: GC, Richmond & Carlton
Improve away from home: Adelaide & West Coast

That’s 9 wins.

Probably need 4-5 from the rest.

A few of our double-ups are interesting watches this year. Brisbane will surely be top four. Carlton and Richmond are widely seen as finals sides. Gold Coast could improve but most likely middle-tier again. North and Hawthorn bottom four.

I think Carlton are a really interesting watch this year. They are so widely expected to improve but I could see things going pear-shaped for them after the heartbreak of this year.

A few other quirks of our fixture that I think work in our favour:
  • I like the Dons at the MCG. After the last two horror shows at Marvel it will be good to play them elsewhere.
  • I like the Pies in Adelaide on a neutral ground, away from the big Collingwood crowds. (Also weirdly Collingwood play the Thursday game in the previous round and then play us last on the Sunday which is such an unusually long break.)
  • Playing Adelaide Oval against Pies before playing Adelaide there not long after.
  • Rounds 19-23 all at Marvel.
  • Brisbane at the GABBA in the final round; it will be interesting to see the state of play but they could have top two sewn up.

And not so good:
- A five-day break before the Friday night Port game.

Last edited:
Port at marvel ✅
No cairns game✅
No Geelong game✅
Marquee game v Carlton at MCG (no chance but I imagine it’d get a bumper crowd AND we have a chance of winning this)❌ but I’ll take Essendon over Collingwood
Three or Four away at MCG ❌ but play four matches against hawthorn and Carlton at marvel. could easily have played both away to get three away along with our one home.
Two away at marvel❌ (four!!!!)
Five or Six interstate ✅
Magic round v Sydney at Barossa ❌ Collingwood.

Double ups:

Gold coast✅
Carlton✅
Richmond✅
Melbourne❌ Brisbane
Adelaide❌ but north and hawthorn and all four games at docklands.

I predict about 0/13 of this to come true

So actually 7/13 and I forgot about the six double ups not five. Not bad. Happy overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back