List Mgmt. 2019 Fremantle F.C. Player Numbers (Update: Numbers Issued!)

Does jumper #29 come out of retirement for 2019?

• Yes

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Sturt will be given the first opportunity to wear Matthew Pavlich's famous No.29 guernsey, previously put on hold following the champion's retirement at the end of 2016.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I think there's a chance someone like Luke Ryan might move up to 27, maybe Bailey Banfield to 28, leaving the draftees to take the numbers in the order they were drafted. So I'd say Sturt gets 29, Valente gets 34, Schultz gets 35, Bewley 38, Watson 41 and Carter 45.

There would be no real valid reason for Valente to get 29 ahead of Sturt as the first round pick, except that Pav might choose to hand it on to a fellow South Aussie. Whichever one doesn't get it will probably find their way to Balla's #1 next year anyway. AND another legendary Freo player in David Mundy will have his #16 vacated, so a couple of good numbers up for grabs for guys who perhaps don't get great ones this year.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I think there's a chance someone like Luke Ryan might move up to 27, maybe Bailey Banfield to 28, leaving the draftees to take the numbers in the order they were drafted. So I'd say Sturt gets 29, Valente gets 34, Schultz gets 35, Bewley 38, Watson 41 and Carter 45.

There would be no real valid reason for Valente to get 29 ahead of Sturt as the first round pick, except that Pav might choose to hand it on to a fellow South Aussie. Whichever one doesn't get it will probably find their way to Balla's #1 next year anyway. AND another legendary Freo player in David Mundy will have his #16 vacated, so a couple of good numbers up for grabs for guys who perhaps don't get great ones this year.
Luke Ryan won't leave 38, he is nearly locker buddies with Cox!
He has already warned Lobb about being in between the two

Mundy still has 2 years IMO

Carlton1234

Debutant
Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anyone think that the players that got re rookied like Ryan Nyhuis will Change numbers from 43 to like a number in the 30's?

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rumour has it that Jason Carter has been using #29 locker in the past year or so.
Make of that what you will.

Truth be told - I thought maybe they'd give it to him as the first Cat B rookie ever. Interesting to see what happens.

I hope they don't give it to someone on a one-year contract. Be great to see Valente or Sturt extend a couple of years over the next week or two, and be rewarded with the #29. That would be fitting IMO.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Truth be told - I thought maybe they'd give it to him as the first Cat B rookie ever. Interesting to see what happens.

I hope they don't give it to someone on a one-year contract. Be great to see Valente or Sturt extend a couple of years over the next week or two, and be rewarded with the #29. That would be fitting IMO.
Sean Hurley was a Cat B

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The club is going to let the draftees decide who gets #29.

I hope one of them puts their hand up to own it, and not just that others step away from it as a process of elimination.

Maybe whoever throws up, gets heat exhaustion and taken to hospital on their first day of training can claim it - see who wants it the most!

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The club is going to let the draftees decide who gets #29.

I hope one of them puts their hand up to own it, and not just that others step away from it as a process of elimination.

Maybe whoever throws up, gets heat exhaustion and taken to hospital on their first day of training can claim it - see who wants it the most!

Wow. That'll sort the wheat from the hay pretty quickly. Not sure I like it, but like you said - if one puts their hand up to grab it, kudos to him.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Contract extensions in the first couple of weeks of being drafted? Dreaming.

Carson Dial

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would be more than happy for any Freo player to make their own number as significant as the #29.
As far as I’m concerned the number is nowhere near as important as the effort and character of the player.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
27 - Sturt
28 - Giro (rookie upgrade move next to his mate)
29 - Valente
34 - Bewley (Williamstown boys)
35 - Schultz (Williamstown boys)
42 - Watson ( rookie number)
45 - Carter

Love your thinking! A little outside the box - gets our first pick the first available number, and Valente #29 without messing with anybody. :)

Back