Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem is his age. I love Higgins and was pretty upset we didn't recruit him when he was a FA although I did acknowledge he had a plethora of injury concerns. He's a classy finisher and is the only polished player at North. But he's very much the cream rather than the crop - I think we're still lacking too many pieces of the Premiership puzzle to seriously make good use of him and at 32 next season you might only expect 1-2 years. Now if we make other moves this trade period like getting Cogs (and I know your inside info is we won't) then I think it could be worth a punt. But if we're missing out on the big fish and recruiting young fringe player with potential I think you'd have to pass on Higgins. Better off targeting someone like Wood/LDU and seeing what you can mould them into.

Yep good call.....

I hope like hell my intel is wrong about Cogs by the way 🙏

Higgins.

FWIW I think he would be superb for us for a few years as that replacement for Burgoyne.

Pass. That’s not a knock on Higgins cause he is a classy veteran but he’s the kind of guy you go after if your age demographic is where the Giants, Suns or Lions are right now. We need to get younger not older and he’d simply be a short term bandaid fix for a ridiculously high trade price. I also wouldn’t be opposed to giving Silk another season anyways which wouldn’t cost anything via trade.

Now even if we land Cogs then I’d much rather go after someone like Zak Jones who’s only just turned 24. We need a few more of his type and I I know some here don’t like him but he’d definitely be a good addition. Now if you were looking to pick over North Melbourne’s list then I wouldn’t be opposed to getting Jed Anderson back or even Majak Daw. I reckon Topiary touched on us looking for some backs so we could release guys like Sis, Hardwick and Scrimshaw forward.

I heard that Hawks are into Charlie Curnow in a big way!

He is signed up til end of 2023 but apparantly feeling disheartened.. Hawks working hard behind the scenes, definitely won't come cheap...

While I'm not at all against the idea of recruiting Curnow he is massively overrated and sincerely hope that the club don't go paying similar amounts to those we paid to land Chad or JOM because we're not currently in the position to do so.

The whispers going around in relation to Harley Bennell do in fact have substance.

We were into him not only in his draft year but also back in 2015 when he was traded from the GCS however given his indiscretions did not feel comfortable playing the asking price.

People need to realize that at full fitness he is easily a Top 10 player of the competition, if not a Top 5 player and if we could obtain him for either ours or Collingwood's 5th Round Selection then surely he's work the risk?

I did reference him in this thread around a month ago (as a hypothetical) as I heard back then that there has been ongoing dialogue between both parties, however I didn't make this known due to not being sure how it would go down.

If anyone can get him right both mentally and physically it would be us and I for one hope we take the chance.

I'd take Higgins in a heartbeat. Averaging 31 touches a game, same age as Henderson, we can afford another old bloke with Roughead moving on with potentially Burgoyne and Birchall retiring.

I’d much rather we spend $600k on a guy about to or in his peak, who becomes a core guy for 5yrs or we’ll be just be chasing such a type in 2yrs time, when Higgins is gone.

Ellis-Yolman starting very well. I still reckon he’d be very good for us & will keep watching with interest.

The whispers going around in relation to Harley Bennell do in fact have substance.

We were into him not only in his draft year but also back in 2015 when he was traded from the GCS however given his indiscretions did not feel comfortable playing the asking price.

People need to realize that at full fitness he is easily a Top 10 player of the competition, if not a Top 5 player and if we could obtain him for either ours or Collingwood's 5th Round Selection then surely he's work the risk?

I did reference him in this thread around a month ago (as a hypothetical) as I heard back then that there has been ongoing dialogue between both parties, however I didn't make this known due to not being sure how it would go down.

If anyone can get him right both mentally and physically it would be us and I for one hope we take the chance.
But, but, ...we have not Birchall right. Maybe our ability to get players right has dropped to a 'middle of the ladder' standard.

But, but, ...we have not Birchall right. Maybe our ability to get players right has dropped to a 'middle of the ladder' standard.

Luckily then we're the best in the business at getting traded in players fit and firing again.

It's certainly a shame that any of our own players that may happen to get injured are clearly doomed and should all just retire instead of trying to get back on the park.

I’d much rather we spend $600k on a guy about to or in his peak, who becomes a core guy for 5yrs or we’ll be just be chasing such a type in 2yrs time, when Higgins is gone.

Ellis-Yolman starting very well. I still reckon he’d be very good for us & will keep watching with interest.

We buy low sell high not vice versa.

We buy low sell high not vice versa/.
You reckon a 26yr old, Rookie-Listed Player that is in/out of the side would be buying high?

Most Rookies would take peanuts for a 2yr Main List position & Adelaide would have to either Main List him or accept our 5th if he's out of Contract & wants to move.

You reckon a 26yr old, Rookie-Listed Player that is in/out of the side would be buying high?

Most Rookies would take peanuts for a 2yr Main List position & Adelaide would have to either Main List him or accept our 5th if he's out of Contract & wants to move.

Thought it was Brandon Ellis for some reason. I'm cooked.

CEY is a big ******* unit. We haven't had a big ******* unit in the midfield for a while since chubby Lewis.

Thought it was Brandon Ellis for some reason. I'm cooked.

CEY is a big ******* unit. We haven't had a big ******* unit in the midfield for a while since chubby Lewis.
Yeh, about 190cm / 96kg, going by Crows website.

He has a fair bit of pace & moves well, as well. I really like him, but I don't see much of him. There has to be a reason he's been there 8yrs & is now a Rookie, I guess.

*He had 30 possies, 1 goal 2, 8 clearances, 5 marks & 10 tackles today, yet they pay Bryce Gibbs $700,000 & this guy is a Rookie...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bennel had 30 touches and 2 goals in his first game back in the WAFL today. He is certainly some talent
Good.

He's shown enough.

Put him on ice now, until season's end; otherwise it'll just drive his trade price up!;)

EDIT: Actually, 'On Ice' has a different meaning over here... How about we wrap him in cotton wool, instead?!

If we could prise "Cedric The Entertainer" away from Brisbane, it would make me a lot more comfortable with Burgoyne's looming retirement.
This guy is the perfect, near replica replacement for Burgoyne.

Brisbane are stacked with talent and this guy can't get a game in his third season.
Taken with a second round, pick 24 and has only played 12 games.
Same draft as Scrimshaw.

If we could prise "Cedric The Entertainer" away from Brisbane, it would make me a lot more comfortable with Burgoyne's looming retirement.

Brisbane are stacked with talent and this guy can't get a game in his third season.
Same draft as Scrimshaw.

Don’t mind what I see here, could be a bit of a value pick up as well. He’s even wearing number 9 in this video!

I mean, surely he isn't a clear t10 player in the comp. That has to be an exagerration. From seeing his highlights he is sure a flashy midfielder with jets, class and great finishing around goals but how could you say he is in the realm of cripps, neale, mitchell, shuey, treloar, sidebottom, grundy, gawn, bontompelli, danger, fyfe etc is surely a stretch.

Bennell's stats when he was playing consistently in the 1s.

2012(second year) 22 games 23.7 disp 73% eff 8.6 cont poss 1.1 goals 0.8 behinds 0.8 goal assists 3 clearances 2 tackles
2013 15 games 22.7 disposals 68% eff 8 contested poss 1.3 goals 1.2 behinds 0.7 goal assists 2 clearances 2 tackles
2014 15 games 21.4 disposals 7.5 contested poss 1.5 goals 1.1 behinds 1 goal assist 2 clearances 1 tackle
2015 15 games 23.5 disposals 67% eff 9 contested poss 0.7 goals 1 behind 0.9 goal assists 3 clearances 3 tackles

Since then has only played 2 (bad) games at AFL level.

No doubt we should try get this bloke to the club if he can stay healthy and on the field. Would be a great replacement for burgoyne as he can go in the guts and play up forward, allowing us to select more genuine backman (instead of having burgoyne playing back pocket most weeks)

I mean, surely he isn't a clear t10 player in the comp. That has to be an exagerration. From seeing his highlights he is sure a flashy midfielder with jets, class and great finishing around goals but how could you say he is in the realm of cripps, neale, mitchell, shuey, treloar, sidebottom, grundy, gawn, bontompelli, danger, fyfe etc is surely a stretch.

Perhaps it's the amount of football he's missed or his previous off field behavior that has clouded your judgment but the guy was truly epic during his time at GCS.

So much so that I'd go as far as to say that he could have been better than most of the midfielders you've mentioned - didn't even bother acknowledging the rucks because that'd just be dumb.

Obviously since his move back to WA he hasn't been able to get on the park but that could be simply put down to not getting the right medical treatment.

If it involved a late pick or better yet a pick swap to obtain him, wouldn't it be an easy decision?

Might just leave this here for you to refresh your memory of the potential that he possesses:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.he...m/news-story/fc51c7257fac92fe63c87f18a7813367

Perhaps it's the amount of football he's missed or his previous off field behavior that has clouded your judgment but the guy was truly epic during his time at GCS.

So much so that I'd go as far as to say that he could have been better than most of the midfielders you've mentioned - didn't even bother acknowledging the rucks because that'd just be dumb.

Obviously since his move back to WA he hasn't been able to get on the park but that could be simply put down to not getting the right medical treatment.

If it involved a late pick or better yet a pick swap to obtain him, wouldn't it be an easy decision?

Might just leave this here for you to refresh your memory of the potential that he possesses:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.he...m/news-story/fc51c7257fac92fe63c87f18a7813367

im all for getting him, just think the top 5/10 player in the comp statement is incorrect imo. His stats resemble those of wingard or thereabouts during his "form slump" last year.

Same draft as Scrimshaw.

In watching his highlights there seems plenty to work with here and I definitely do see the similarities to Burgoyne that you've mentioned, however I was also left wondering why he has been unable to get a game in a bottom of the ladder side (up until this season) in Brisbane.

Would definitely be all for it if we were able to get it done for a swap of late picks.

Also just throwing it out there that he was drafted a year prior to Scrimshaw as well.

im all for getting him, just think the top 5/10 player in the comp statement is incorrect imo. His stats resemble those of wingard or thereabouts during his "form slump" last year.

Definitely correct and I should have stated has the potential to be a top player in the competition.

Still doesn't change the fact that if we were to pick him up and get him right both mentally and physically then he'd be a more than handy acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back