2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently the AFL teams will play 23 players next year and can recruit 3 mature age players (up to 50k total in payment) along with the 19 year olds.

The 16 player rule in finals is abolished too.

A few blowouts next year I reckon

Apparently the AFL teams will play 23 players next year and can recruit 3 mature age players (up to 50k total in payment) along with the 19 year olds.

The 16 player rule in finals is abolished too.

A few blowouts next year I reckon
I can only wonder how they got the NEAFL sides to sign onto that

McFadyen is going to be good. I asked Knightmare about him, he had him on his top 20 Fyfe like, but not at that level. Big bodied midfielder.
Edit: McFadyen is #45
Highlights

Last edited:
McFadyen is going to be good. I asked Knightmare about him, he had him on his top 20 Fyfe like, but not at that level. Big bodied midfielder.

Didn’t do a great deals in the 2s this year. Needs a few big preseasons. Very raw.

The interesting one for me is Ely Smith. I'm wondering whether the fact he hasn't re-signed is player/manager driven or a mutual thing between player and club. I can't imagine the club wouldn't want to lock him in, at least for another two years. Quiet early in the year but showed a fair bit when he came back from injury from all reports. He may need another Xmas break to work out whether he wants to commit longer term.

Edit: McFadyen is #45
Highlights

Knightmare isn't the best source on academy players tbh. Wouldn't take that too seriously.

The interesting one for me is Ely Smith. I'm wondering whether the fact he hasn't re-signed is player/manager driven or a mutual thing between player and club. I can't imagine the club wouldn't want to lock him in, at least for another two years. Quiet early in the year but showed a fair bit when he came back from injury from all reports. He may need another Xmas break to work out whether he wants to commit longer term.

Just a guess but if I was Ely I'd be waiting to see if I can break into the team in 2020 or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a guess but if I was Ely I'd be waiting to see if I can break into the team in 2020 or not.
Agree although I do think Ely will find it difficult to break into the senior side in 2020 unless there are a few injuries, we have J.Lyons, Neale and J.Berry playing that inside role and we will also have Ellis-Yolmen pushing for selection next season.

With a long term view it's great that we have so many recent draftees who are developing in the reserves and yet to debut ie. T.Berry, Joyce, McFadyen, E.Smith, Fullarton, Payne, Madden, Wooller, Ballenden and C.Lyons. I expect a few of those along with Starcevich(5 senior games) to start putting serious pressure on for senior spots in 2020.

Knightmare has a habit of overrating our academy guys

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because as a Pies supporter it fits with Herr Eddie's view that the Northern clubs have an unfair advantage in the form of the academies. A bit out of date that given thAt NGA farce.

Bit late, but got my season's photos up.

So far only had a look at the Grand Final photos using the Flickr toggle slideshow.
For those who don't know where this is, and would like to use it. It's a TV/Computer Monitor icon at top right above the first photo.

You have some great action photos Mr. Ripper. Excellent job.
I will get around to view the others at a later time.

So far only had a look at the Grand Final photos using the Flickr toggle slideshow.
For those who don't know where this is, and would like to use it. It's a TV/Computer Monitor icon at top right above the first photo.

You have some great action photos Mr. Ripper. Excellent job.
I will get around to view the others at a later time.
Cheers S5 :)

Anyone casually flicking through might miss this one - check out the familiar-looking mirthful types on the other side of the fence...
2159055 by Steve, on Flickr

Agree although I do think Ely will find it difficult to break into the senior side in 2020 unless there are a few injuries, we have J.Lyons, Neale and J.Berry playing that inside role and we will also have Ellis-Yolmen pushing for selection next season.

With a long term view it's great that we have so many recent draftees who are developing in the reserves and yet to debut ie. T.Berry, Joyce, McFadyen, E.Smith, Fullarton, Payne, Madden, Wooller, Ballenden and C.Lyons. I expect a few of those along with Starcevich(5 senior games) to start putting serious pressure on for senior spots in 2020.
Ely is going to be very good once he realises his own strength. Keeps his feet really well , very balanced and has time when he gets it.

It might take him another year to break in to the side but we'd be crazy to be let him get away.

On potential we have some very exciting prospects playing in the NEAFL. Plus the new players coming to the Lions for 2020.
What does the future hold for some of the ones knocking on the door for seniors but not getting many, if any games.

The NEAFL is considered a much lower quality competition than the established states of Vic/SA/WA.It makes it hard for them to press their case to other Clubs.
You only have to look at how long it took Sydney to promote Tom Mitchell to their seniors after racking up unreal numbers in the NEAFL.

If we get injuries in the seniors, some will get to show what they can produce. But what if we have another great injury free year which i hope we do.

I think Fagan and the selection committee will have to bite the bullet and drop players not producing enough, even if they are doing the team things.
So playing some of these inexperienced players will be essential for the future success of the Club. It's a juggling act for a coach he needs wins to keep his job, but encouragement and hope for all the others in the group.

It could be a tough year for Fagan. He has to get the Lions to top 6 just to tread water with the fans and media. A big task for everyone concerned.
Personally i will settle for making the 8, the higher up the better. Much the same for the following years.

Having said this i would prefer a very experienced team for Hawthorne at the MCG in round one. I have seen many player and coach interviews over the years indicating round 1 is a big pressure game even though it is worth 4 points just like the rest. Round 2 it settles down some . It's a long year so plenty of time to get a game.

So this is the list in alphabetical order. I kept it to 5 games or less.

11 yet to debut : Ballenden, T Berry, Coleman, Fullarton, Joyce, C Lyons, Madden, McFadyen, Payne, E. Smith, Wooller.
3 have played 5 games or less : Hinge (2), Skinner (1), Starcevich (5)
3 from draft : Prior, Robertson, B Smith

Having said this i would prefer a very experienced team for Hawthorne at the MCG in round one. I have seen many player and coach interviews over the years indicating round 1 is a big pressure game even though it is worth 4 points just like the rest. Round 2 it settles down some . It's a long year so plenty of time to get a game.

This is so true, especially in our teams case. To go out in straight sets last year was obviously not ideal (even if one was by a few points) despite our enormous gains. Younger squads thrive off confidence and a big start will help reinforce their self belief.

The first three games are all games we should now expect to win, if we bring the hardness, also to get the early points at the G will certainly put to rest any possible doubts about how well we play there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back