Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

? I don’t get the example. We’ve known the better part of the year, apparently. Contractors also move all the time, they just have a chat to HR.
No player can change clubs outside of the trade period. You on the other hand may change jobs tomorrow, next month, mid-contract or at the end of the contract. McCarthy couldn't just start playing for us and forego his contract. He either accepted the AFLs rules or never plays.

I agree Marshall is a talent with potential to become a gun

But seriously , have you watched any of Paddy Ryders games this year
Great player in his prime but now he is totally cooked...dont waste your time..

Ryder is perfect for us. The other two rucks on our list have just been delisted. We need a back up, we couldn't get a Goldstein type because he isn't willing to be a back up, if we Draft an 18 year old kid he wouldn't be ready if we need to call upon him.

Ryders role will be to be a back up ruck and a big body in the forward 50 to protect Max King.

I don't think any saints fan is excited about his recruitment, but we mostly think it's a logical signing and a short term solution until the King brothers are ready to play a full season (I know it's crazy to build a list around a bloke who hasn't even asked to be traded yet but were doing it, we'll have to see how it plays out.)

Also, that players sign multi-year contracts and agree to contract structures like front-loading that impact the club's budget and strategy. Fremantle agree to an overall salary package over multiple years and has a right to hold a player that has in effect been pre-paid for some of their remaining contract.They don't exist in a bubble of their own.

Also, that players sign multi-year contracts and agree to contract structures like front-loading that impact the club's budget and strategy. Fremantle agree to an overall salary package over multiple years and has a right to hold a player that has in effect been pre-paid for some of their remaining contract.They don't exist in a bubble of their own.
Yeah exactly Gav.

Shits me to tears when people go on about how AFL players and the AFL are just like any other workplace.

Its immature at best and highly ignorant at worst

Here's another difference; when they want to leave and accept another contract, their new employer has to trade to get them. Never heard of that in any other profession; I'll give you a couple of carpenters and an apprentice for your eye surgeon with only 3 years to go before retirement.

Ryder is perfect for us. The other two rucks on our list have just been delisted. We need a back up, we couldn't get a Goldstein type because he isn't willing to be a back up, if we Draft an 18 year old kid he wouldn't be ready if we need to call upon him.

Ryders role will be to be a back up ruck and a big body in the forward 50 to protect Max King.

I don't think any saints fan is excited about his recruitment, but we mostly think it's a logical signing and a short term solution until the King brothers are ready to play a full season (I know it's crazy to build a list around a bloke who hasn't even asked to be traded yet but were doing it, we'll have to see how it plays out.)
Agree.

Comes cheap and with smart load management ie not travelling to Perth, Ryder should be a great moneyball move.

Yeah exactly Gav.

Shits me to tears when people go on about how AFL players and the AFL are just like any other workplace.

A part of me definitely mistrusts BHill and his managers motivation. Same with Weller and Neale. I mean I accept the basics of homesick girlfriend etc, but dollars seem a massive factor and a common ingredient. Will Hill go to Geelong for a far less paycheck?

Yeah exactly Gav.

Yep.

Don't want to get drafted interstate / accept the AFL T's & C's? Play WAFL / VFL etc.

No one is forcing these blokes to play in a sport where the minimum salary is 80k+ for the shittest, least qualified bloke on a list.

A part of me definitely mistrusts BHill and his managers motivation. Same with Weller and Neale. I mean I accept the basics of homesick girlfriend etc, but dollars seem a massive factor and a common ingredient. Will Hill go to Geelong for a far less paycheck?
I think the cats can make a massive play for Hill.

They would have set aside money for Kelly.

Plus, their major sponsor is Simonds Homes.

Also, if we pay $300k of his wage next year.

The other thing that throw in Menegola as a salary dump.

And they don’t take Stevens.

The gap between Saints and Cats offers won’t be a lot.

Why are people suddenly wanting to go to the Saints?
money.

Saints are struggling to reach the minimum 95% of the salary cap as they front loaded on their key players. Hence why they made that crazy offer to Brad Hill at $900,000 a year for 5-6 years.

Amazing that the salary cap is 13 million and the 95% is 12,350,000. Personally it should be 90% or $11,700,000. then you would have teams throwing 1.5 million a year on elite talent or $6-700,000 a year on best 22 or very good fringe players.

Saying that, we signed Brad hill on a 5 year deal at $500,000 a year. It was front loaded. $700,000 in the 1st 2 years. This year he is on his 3rd at $500,000 a year. Next year and year after he is only on $300,000 a year.

money.

Saints are struggling to reach the minimum 95% of the salary cap as they front loaded on their key players. Hence why they made that crazy offer to Brad Hill at $900,000 a year for 5-6 years.

Amazing that the salary cap is 13 million and the 95% is 12,350,000. Personally it should be 90% or $11,700,000. then you would have teams throwing 1.5 million a year on elite talent or $6-700,000 a year on best 22 or very good fringe players.

Saying that, we signed Brad hill on a 5 year deal at $500,000 a year. It was front loaded. $700,000 in the 1st 2 years. This year he is on his 3rd at $500,000 a year. Next year and year after he is only on $300,000 a year.

Where are people getting this front loading from?

I think the cats can make a massive play for Hill.

They would have set aside money for Kelly.

Plus, their major sponsor is Simonds Homes.

Also, if we pay $300k of his wage next year.

The other thing that throw in Menegola as a salary dump.

And they don’t take Stevens.

The gap between Saints and Cats offers won’t be a lot.
Salary dump could work. The hard thing will be convincing Hill. I get the feeling it’s just a ruse to put pressure on the Saints like we did to WC for Kelly. Didn’t take us long to call in the favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

money.

And yet they seem to be pushing several contracted players out the door. Somethings a bit whiffy I think.

And yet they seem to be pushing several contracted players out the door. Somethings a bit whiffy I think.
one tiny problem, Saints need to hand adequate compensation to that club.

Dougal Howard is contracted. Howard is easily one of Ports best young key position players. He is basically going to eventually replace justin westoff. The bloke is 199cm. Saints want him, they pay overs.

Saints can offer picks 12 and 18 for him and Port Adelaide can still knock it back. Just like Peter Bell knocking back the saints "generous" offer to get Brad Hill.

Again, they have a fair bit of cap space and this is regardless if Jack Steven gets traded

its in the salary cap.

Again, if you were given a 3 year deal at $500,000 a year. thats 1.5 mil over 3 years.

its like saying your getting $700,000 in the 1st year, $500,000 in the 2nd year then $300,000 in the 3rd year.

No, I understand basic salary cap discussions. Where are people getting the information that his contract is front loaded from?

It seems like more of an assumption than a fact, happy to be corrected.

No, I understand basic salary cap discussions. Where are people getting the information that his contract is front loaded from?

It seems like more of an assumption than a fact, happy to be corrected.
Well I only found out from the Brad Hill trade thread.

but to be honest, you think that Brad Hills agent leaked it out.

Well I only found out from the Brad Hill trade thread.

but to be honest, you think that Brad Hills agent leaked it out.

I see people on BF referencing this front loaded contract. I'm yet to see anyone in the media to it.

That's not to say it isn't true, I don't buy it though.

How's Max going with his injury? Thought he might not be available til about Round 10

Same with Jack Bytel, still think that kid was Top 20 talent wise last year and think he'll be your best player one day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back