Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Stephens will be gone at 4
Could be. In that case it changes things. Then I would pick two of Robertson, Sharp and Jackson and other less obvious ones. Flanders won't get that far but he would be a good get. The only concern I have with Robertson, is Valente and the fact that we have just lost two speedy wingmen. Robertson is quicker than he looks but he isn't an elite outside type. Not to my amateur eye anyway.

Losing players like Neale and Hill hurt but it happens to other clubs as well.

Besides, when the shoe is on the other foot we are only too happy to poach contracted players. Its the nature of the beast.

Hill is being dragged back over east by his partner and the lure of the big bucks. It is what it is. Get the best deal for the club and move on.

If things pan out as expected tomorrow then the ledger for this draft period would be something like:

Out : Bhill, Langdon, Pick 26, 2020 4th
In: Pick 10, Pick 22, 2 x 2020 2nd Round, Pick 79, Acres, Aish

I reckon that a reasonable result

Nope. With 2 years left on Hill's contract, that's a s**t result.

Bell should have not budged on next year's first rounder. That's critical. Without it he looks like he's caved - because he has.

If we fill up all our list spots with the players we bring in and early draft selections, does that mean Butters and Thomas will be passed on if they are bid on Pretty sure Leno will get to the rookie list but I wonder if Butters will attract a late bid.

Could be. In that case it changes things. Then I would pick two of Robertson, Sharp and Jackson and other less obvious ones. Flanders won't get that far but he would be a good get. The only concern I have with Robertson, is Valente and the fact that we have just lost two speedy wingmen. Robertson is quicker than he looks but he isn't an elite outside type. Not to my amateur eye anyway.
Valente has had a bad run of it injury wise
Maybe dont discount Robertson expecting Valente to be something when maybe he wont

Having 2 Championship winning captains in the team has got to be a good thing anyhow

Valente has had a bad run of it injury wise
Maybe dont discount Robertson expecting Valente to be something when maybe he wont

Having 2 Championship winning captains in the team has got to be a good thing anyhow
It is good but it may not lend to team balance. That's all I'm concerned about. We brought in Josh Carr when we already had Hasleby and it just didn't work.

I don’t think Henry gets bid on until at least 12, probably after 15. I hope GWS don’t get the opportunity to trade up and have to match a Green bid at 6 so it at least gives us a look at Jackson.

I hope we use 22 and our 3 2020 R2 to get another top 12 pick this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never really noticed Acres, but the way I’ve seen him described by saints fans I’m kind of mentally equating him to Tucker in terms of not really clear how good he can be, has some good attributes and sometimes looks the goods, other times is anonymous.

Is that a fair assessment?
In many ways yes. Tuckers a better ball user. Thought 2019 was a step forward for him too. Covering Fyfes opponent really restricts how much ball he can actually get. Tucker>Acres

I never really noticed Acres, but the way I’ve seen him described by saints fans I’m kind of mentally equating him to Tucker in terms of not really clear how good he can be, has some good attributes and sometimes looks the goods, other times is anonymous.

I more get the vibe of a midfield version of Jack Darling before he spontaneously turned into a gun...

Pardon the intrusion, but to answer your question;

In his first two seasons he showed glimpses that he'd be an absolute star - big bodied mid who moves well across the ground, can go forward and take a big mark and is a very reliable set shot. In the second half of the season of 2016 got the 2nd or 3rd most B&F votes when we won 8 of our last 11.

Has been really inconsistent since then, he has quarters where he can just look like a million bucks but then go missing for weeks after that. Has been misused under Richardson badly to be fair, never nailed down a true position and often had to pinch hit in the ruck or play half forward with short stints in midfield. Didn't improve much after Ratten came though despite being given more time in the middle. St Kilda weren't able to get the best out of him, think he's going to be a really handy pickup for literally nothing since it seems we're just throwing him in if he wants to go.

I hope Acres coming in doesn’t mean reduced minutes for Cerra, Valente and Valente as inside mids. On one hand, it’s good to get a big mature body to offer some protection but not at the cost of the development of our younger mids.

Acres is such a meh player but in saying that, I thought the same of Yeo before he turned into what he is now.

In many ways yes. Tuckers a better ball user. Thought 2019 was a step forward for him too. Covering Fyfes opponent really restricts how much ball he can actually get. Tucker>Acres
191cm midfielder, so not quite Tucker size, his draft bio was pretty good, if he ends up like Yeo who we didn't want then thats a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back