Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting post by Henry, also interesting comment by Bennell and Henry’s reply.

66ed2d1aad185e3d51d5d62ed4f40dd7.jpg

010afc57ecc8e1bf5256fe72453396fc.jpg

d0dbd56794c6fbb21c3242ba4c6dbead.jpg
He's wearing Melbourne footy shorts. Pretty sure he is leaving footy to play whatever MAXX is though.

Interesting post by Henry, also interesting comment by Bennell and Henry’s reply.

66ed2d1aad185e3d51d5d62ed4f40dd7.jpg

010afc57ecc8e1bf5256fe72453396fc.jpg

d0dbd56794c6fbb21c3242ba4c6dbead.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gee that’s weird. Melbourne have pick 3 and 8. But are rumoured to be doing a pick swap with GWS who balked at the asking price.

Presumably we could be the backup plan.

but why wear the Melbourne shorts?

Maybe we’ve told Henry we’ll let him go if he’s bid in the top 10. All very odd.

Gee that’s weird. Melbourne have pick 3 and 8. But are rumoured to be doing a pick swap with GWS who balked at the asking price.

Maybe we’ve told Henry we’ll let him go if he’s bid in the top 10. All very odd.
Or, he's a Melbourne fan and is just wearing the shorts...

Melbourne bound.
That’s why they traded up.
Get worried, get very worried

I realised I was forgetting we lost Langdon/Hill so I think we have 4 list spots as it stands

39 - 7 (Hill, Langdon, Kersten, Sandi, Ballas, Jones, Bennell) + 4 (Aish, Acres, Hughes, Giro) = 36

We still have to do something with the picks we have in the 60s and 70s that we actually traded in since we cant take them into the draft unless we delist North

I realised I was forgetting we lost Langdon/Hill so I think we have 4 list spots as it stands

39 - 7 (Hill, Langdon, Kersten, Sandi, Ballas, Jones, Bennell) + 4 (Aish, Acres, Hughes, Giro) = 36

We still have to do something with the picks we have in the 60s and 70s that we actually traded in since we cant take them into the draft unless we delist North

We had 40 on the Senior List this year.

What do you think the story might be with the post then?
I would say he was given stuff from a lot of the clubs & these were probably the only clean shorts he had at the time.
I don’t think his post is about the shorts & I doubt he knew he was sending Freo supporters into melt, but it’s more about showing off the 6 pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Henry feels right at home in purple

Could you post the article?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why Next Generation Academy prospect and Claremont young gun Liam Henry already feels right at home at Fremantle Dockers
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Monday, 1 July 2019 2:00AM
Jordan McArdle

Play Video
Can Liam Henry be Fremantle's next big thing?
1:47 | 7NEWS Perth

Ross Lyon wearing his ties. Text messages from Michael Walters and Bradley Hill. Training at the Dockers’ Cockburn HQ.
Next Generation Academy prospect Liam Henry already feels right at home at Fremantle.
The Dockers will have first access to the Claremont and WA under-18s forward, who was born in Derby, in this year’s national draft as part of NGA rules.
Former Fremantle and Greater Western Sydney midfielder Tendai Mzungu heads up the program, with Walters, Hill and Lyon among those mentoring the silky-skilled 17-year-old.
“Tendai says they’re trying to make it like instead of coming in as a first-year player, we’re coming in as a second-year player, knowing the ropes already,” Henry said.
“It’s definitely a good experience, getting the feel of what it’s like to be on an AFL list. It’s been good to seek the advice of Tendai and the players down there like Sonny (Michael) Walters and Bradley Hill, it’s great to have that extra support.
“They still invite me down to go through vision and help out with things like nutrition and goal-setting.”
Henry, a Hawthorn supporter who models his game on Cyril Rioli, has stayed in touch with Walters and triple premiership Hawk Hill throughout the national under-18 championships.
WA’s Liam Henry celebrates one of his three goals against Vic Metro.
WA’s Liam Henry celebrates one of his three goals against Vic Metro. Credit: Justin Benson-Cooper
He takes inspiration from the way Walters turned his career around after getting banished to the WAFL for failing to meet Fremantle’s fitness standards in 2012, becoming a superstar of the competition.
“To think that I only trained with him a couple of months ago, seeing what he does in games is pretty inspiring,” Henry said.
“He definitely had a good story with him going back and training in the WAFL, but now he just focuses on his family and obviously that’s inspired him to play good at Freo.
“Whenever I need any advice, he’s just a phone call or a message away.
“I spoke to Sonny this month and he said just keep pushing, leading up at the ball and using that tackling pressure as he’s gone about it.
Play Video
The Claremont and Fremantle Next Generation Academy talent has quite the highlights reel.
1:20 | The West Australian

The Claremont and Fremantle Next Generation Academy talent has quite the highlights reel.
“When he had 25 touches and kicked six goals, a couple of those goals were when he laid tackles inside 50.”
Not only does Henry combine school and football, he started an indigenous tie business with two mates called Tied To Culture.
Fremantle coach Lyon bought one at training one day before wearing it to the club’s Christmas ball.
“I was training down there and was doing some promoting with Sonny so I was walking around with a tie and he offered to buy one,” Henry said.
“I didn’t think that he’d wear it but the support he’s given me has been amazing.
“He’s been really supportive. Ross and I have a really good relationship on and off the field.”
Liam Henry (left) with Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe at Dockers training.
Liam Henry (left) with Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe at Dockers training. Credit: Instagram
Henry grew up in Tammin, a Wheatbelt town with a population of about 200, and played junior football at neighbouring Kellerberrin before moving to Perth for boarding school at Christ Church Grammar School in 2013.
His parents live in Derby, somewhere he likes to go to escape the hustle and bustle of Perth.
“I try to get up there when I can, just to experience the country and open the mind. It’s pretty congested in the city,” Henry said.
WA are in contention for their first national under-18s title in a decade with a 2-1 record, including wins against Vic Metro and the Allies.
Their final game of the carnival is against Vic Country at Marvel Stadium on Wednesday.
Henry, part of the Black Swans’ leadership group, has done some exciting things in the first three games.
Play Video
WA knocked off Vic Metro in the AFL National Under-18 Championships, with Deven Robertson, Luke Jackson and Liam Henry the stars.
0:27 | 7NEWS Perth

WA knocked off Vic Metro in the AFL National Under-18 Championships, with Deven Robertson, Luke Jackson and Liam Henry the stars.
He is averaging 15 disposals and four tackles to go with a three-goal haul in the opening match against Vic Metro and three score assists against South Australia.
As for the second half of the season, Henry is keen to break into Claremont’s league side and wants to keep improving his pressure, tackling and one-percenters.
He was in the mix for an early senior berth after a stunning three-goal performance in an intra-club match before a minor knee injury.

Ross Lyon wearing his ties. Text messages from Michael Walters and Bradley Hill. Training at the Dockers’ Cockburn HQ.
Two out of three gone. It's all over everyone. The dream is over. I was told shortly after that pic of him in MFC shorts he did a poo and a wee - clearly he's either going to Melbourne or Hawthorn.

People do realise we'll probably still use 10 on him if there's a bid at 8 or 9...right?

Not the best outcome but not a catastrophe either.
Nothing related to footy is a catastrophe. Some posters reactions to the club giving up St Kilda 2nd round as opposed to Melb 2nd round still has me scratching my head.

Back to your point. Whilst I agree not a catastrophe because it leaves us a handy pick at 22 for a slider but we could do better and trade up from 10 to make the matter dead and buried. In no way is Henry a top 6-7 draftee. Top 15 yes with variation in value from around pick 10.

There was an article almost immediately following the trade period with Peter Bell about trading up.

I’d like us to try and get that pick 6 or pick 8. Like others Carlton are my concern at 9. Port are also a possibility at 12. If we got 8 which will slide back to 9 then we’re really only talking about 4 live picks (3,4,6,7). The names Serong, Young, Flanders, Ash come immediately to mind. There is growing talk about GWS and Luke Jackson. The fact that they are trading in front of 5 is so they can secure two top 10 picks. Don’t be surprised if Jackson’s name is called up at 3 (should GWS get that pick).

If we trade up to 8 serves two purposes gives a better chance of securing the two players we like in the top 10 whilst also nailing Henry with a third pick from accumulation of 2nd/3rd/4th picks. We haven’t had chances like this aside from 1999 when the AFL gave us a 3rd top 5 pick and we secured Haselby, Pav and Leigh Brown.

If we can get Pick 8 I can actually see the scenario where we have pick 8, 9 & 10 (Henry). Happy friggin days.

Last edited:
Yeah with everything said I’d still be utterly amazed if he’s bid on before 11 and still very surprised if it’s in that next range 11-15,
After that tho you can be sure of a bid and I’m pretty certain at least one club would definitely look to make us use our 22 for him.
Which if the roles were reversed I’d hope our club would do the same

Tho out of all of the teams with picks inside the top 15 Carlton are definitely the team that i have some reservations about.

Forget all that s**t about them no longer embracing their old arrogant mentality- that pathetic old saying from them “we’re Carlton fu** the rest” is still alive and well in that club ...especially with that flog fraud SOS still calling the shots in their list management .
You only have to see how their latest trade period eventuated to realise that

If a team goes early on Henry, your stare at them with dagger eyes and note it down for come back.. revenge can be a bit$h

Maybe this is why Melb got pick 8...........

I like the 6 for 10 swap with GWS idea:

Heres how it could happen if we have 5 picks........

We swap 22/58 for max points in 2 picks (e.g 31 and 33 from bombers enough points to match a bid a Carlton no.8 (no.9 after Green bid)

We get 6 and GWS get our future 1st and 69
They go buy points getting Cats to upgrade their later picks by swapping our 2020 1st with WCE 2020 1st.

Green bid at 4 or 5

They get 10 (now 11) and we get their future 1st and 2nd and their last pick (~70)
(About evens)

Henry bid happens between 9 and 20

We trade GWS future 1st or future 2nds(and whatever pick is left from bid matching) with GCS or Cats if one of our top 15 talents is still available

If we don't rate whats left after Henry bid highly we can just grab a player late or grab a DFA or keep a spot open to have a few players audition for the Preseason Supplementary period.

We could then land 3 top 15 players in 2019 and have 4 picks between 10-40 next year.

Or 4 top 20 players in 2019 and 2-3 picks before 40 in 2020

Is it a top ten thing re first ten picks equal the best ten talented in the draft ....or are there actually more players who could be top ten if is club required selection rather than best available talent. Agree with Cal Twomey's observation over a number of drafts now where most clubs go best available but a few or more sometimes don't re first ten picks.

My point being that I still say re 2019 there is little difference in the talent pool say between 3 to 15 and again not much difference between again out to 25 with 6 of our locals more or less in that 25.

Is it a top ten thing re first ten picks equal the best ten talented in the draft ....or are there actually more players who could be top ten if is club required selection rather than best available talent. Agree with Cal Twomey's observation over a number of drafts now where most clubs go best available but a few or more sometimes don't re first ten picks.

My point being that I still say re 2019 there is little difference in the talent pool say between 3 to 15 and again not much difference between again out to 25 with 6 of our locals more or less in that 25.
It’s as simple as a pick in the range 6-10 is better than pick 22. Also 22 will prob slide back to 25. If trade up to 6 (which will slide back to 7) wouldn’t you rather have the option to choose the 7th best kid on your list or would you be happy to have the 25th kid on your list. It’s that simple.

Quite confident GWS won't be going for Jackson as Green is too good to pass by.
It’s as simple as a pick in the range 6-10 is better than pick 22. Also 22 will prob slide back to 25. If trade up to 6 (which will slide back to 7) wouldn’t you rather have the option to choose the 7th best kid on your list or would you be happy to have the 25th kid on your list. It’s that simple.

I understand the simplicity you refer to but think you missed my point...not disagreeing with picks in the first ten as usually being where the most talented kids are.

Jackson for example could go 3 as you say but it does not mean he is necessarily the third most talented player in the draft. If a club though sees he fills an urgent need or particular list requirement and want to grab him before another club...then they do.

Robertson for example, if some of the draft experts prediction are correct, could go much later than the predicted 8-10 sliding out to 20+. Most consider him top ten at present. If he was there at say 18 wow what a miss by us (Henry still to come at later bid or22.

If our aim is Vic Country superstars like Ash, serong flanders, yes we should trade up from 10 to top 5.... If aim is wa talent, we simply sacrifice 10 for Henry and use 22 and future seconds to trade upto teens.... First option may be costly...

Quite confident GWS won't be going for Jackson as Green is too good to pass by.
The odds are very high GWS will do another pick swap to land pick 3 or 4 so they can get a player and Green. They’ve done it before with Taranto one example back in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back