Prediction 2019 Rising Star winner discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath was never the best youngster in the AFL. Clear third behind Burton and SPP that year, and well and truly overtaken by Taranto and McCluggage now. If he was pick 51 rather than pick 1 he wouldn't have even been in the conversation for Rising Star that year.

If he played for any other team Tim Watson wouldnt have called in all his favours to swing the votes.

I’ll be interested to see if Larkey picks up any votes.

He’s kicked the same amount of goals as Harry Mckay from 3 less games and kicked 2 less goals than Naughton from 5 less games, both of whom have been media darlings at some point this year.

Quite conceivable he could of kicked more goals than all of Naughton, McKay and Hipwood if he played all 22 games.

He and Zurhaar have combined for 4 x bags of 5 goals this year, all this with the likely Coleman medalist standing next to them...

Last edited:
Walsh's performance today has unfortunately bumped him down in the power rankings with a score of 5. The ladder is looking like:
1) Stack (6.2)
2) Lewis (6)
3) Ratugolea (5.9)
4) Taylor (5.4)
5) Rozee (5.1)
6) Walsh (5)

Get a few more goals and valuable stats and IMHO he can make the top 5.
Interested to see how to see scored over the weekend in the power rankings?

Do they have a "pathetic power" ranking by which we can gauge how your whole team rated"?

I’ll be interested to see if Larkey picks up any votes.

He’s kicked the same amount of goals as Harry Mckay from 3 less games and kicked 2 less goals than Naughton from 4 less games, both of whom have been media darlings at some point this year.

Quite conceivable he could of kicked more goals than all of Naughton, McKay and Hipwood if he played all 22 games.

He and Zurhaar have combined for 4 x bags of 5 goals this year, all this with the likely Coleman medalist standing next to them...

He might well get some votes, but I’m not sure that’s a particularly accurate way of presenting the comparison between those players. Digging deeper there’s a reason those other young players get more attention

Larkey has had a particularly accurate year kicking for goal; at a rate that isn’t really sustainable (he’s kicked goals at 80% accuracy - even the best forwards tend to be around 66%). Young guys tend to be highly variable - McKay’s goalkicking was 60-66% prior to this year but he’s had the yips and gone at 45% in 2019. Good goalkicking is good football but for young guys who aren’t taking that many shots it is highly variable

A better comparison for young players imo is the number of shots on goal they generate. Goal accuracy will stabilise later. By that measure Hipwood has 57 scores, Naughton 55 and McKay 54, while Larkey has 32.

Plus Larkey does less around the ground than the rest of them. Naughton and McKay are 1-2 in contested marks in the league. The others all bring more versatility too imo. McKay is bigger, quicker and can ruck. Naughton can play in defence and terrify defences in the air. Hipwood is big and scary fast and looks like an alien.

And in terms of comparison - Naughton is a year younger than Larkey. McKay is 5 months older and Hipwood is 9 months older; they’re effectively at the same stage in their careers.

I think the others clearly offer more whereas Larkey looks like a good second forward - as you say, he’s kicked bags even playing alongside Brown, which is a pretty bloody good thing to have

Heard the commentary saying Worpel missed out on being in contention for this award by 1 game.

Which shocked me so i had to go and check.

We have had some really good 1st year players this year but got me thinking if worps only played 10 not 11 games he probably wins this.

Sliding doors moment.

He might well get some votes, but I’m not sure that’s a particularly accurate way of presenting the comparison between those players. Digging deeper there’s a reason those other young players get more attention

Larkey has had a particularly accurate year kicking for goal; at a rate that isn’t really sustainable (he’s kicked goals at 80% accuracy - even the best forwards tend to be around 66%). Young guys tend to be highly variable - McKay’s goalkicking was 60-66% prior to this year but he’s had the yips and gone at 45% in 2019. Good goalkicking is good football but for young guys who aren’t taking that many shots it is highly variable

A better comparison for young players imo is the number of shots on goal they generate. Goal accuracy will stabilise later. By that measure Hipwood has 57 scores, Naughton 55 and McKay 54, while Larkey has 32.

Plus Larkey does less around the ground than the rest of them. Naughton and McKay are 1-2 in contested marks in the league. The others all bring more versatility too imo. McKay is bigger, quicker and can ruck. Naughton can play in defence and terrify defences in the air. Hipwood is big and scary fast and looks like an alien.

And in terms of comparison - Naughton is a year younger than Larkey. McKay is 5 months older and Hipwood is 9 months older; they’re effectively at the same stage in their careers.

I think the others clearly offer more whereas Larkey looks like a good second forward - as you say, he’s kicked bags even playing alongside Brown, which is a pretty bloody good thing to have

Larkey did not play the first 5 rounds.

So maybe you should use averages instead of season totals.

Heard the commentary saying Worpel missed out on being in contention for this award by 1 game.

We have had some really good 1st year players this year but got me thinking if worps only played 10 not 11 games he probably wins this.

Sliding doors moment.

With his extremely strong finish to the season, and Walsh's last few quiet games, he most certainly would have won it. Never mind.

It's Still Walsh's to lose. He's had one of the best debut seasons in memory. It stacks up to Selwood's, and Walsh didn't have the luxury with playing alongside great to legendary players like Corey, Chapman, Bartel, GAJ, etc.

With his extremely strong finish to the season, and Walsh's last few quiet games, he most certainly would have won it. Never mind.

It's Still Walsh's to lose. He's had one of the best debut seasons in memory. It stacks up to Selwood's, and Walsh didn't have the luxury with playing alongside great to legendary players like Corey, Chapman, Bartel, GAJ, etc.

Pretty sure having Cripps in the team is a huge bonus.

Anyone know if Cripps missed games and how Walsh went ?

Pretty sure having Cripps in the team is a huge bonus.

Anyone know if Cripps missed games and how Walsh went ?

As good as he is Cripps doesn't equal GAJ, Bartel, Joel Corey, etc. though. He missed round 14, 15 and 16. Walsh missed round 14 as well.

Round 15 - 30 touches, 8 tackles

Round 16 - 25 touches, 7 tackles

He's shown in those two games at least that his game wasn't affected by Cripps' absence.

As good as he is Cripps doesn't equal GAJ, Bartel, Joel Corey, etc. though. He missed round 14, 15 and 16. Walsh missed round 14 as well.

Round 15 - 30 touches, 8 tackles

Round 16 - 25 touches, 7 tackles

He's shown in those two games at least that his game wasn't affected by Cripps' absence.

Impressive.

Being surrounded by supreme talent is good and bad for the individual. Zero chance of being tagged, but your own players are going to look past you.

Larkey is one of the best kicks for goal in the comp, he's a better kick for goal than Brown to put it in perspective, this was evident in him winning the Frosty Miller last year. It's not an outlier, it's just a strength of his.

I think you will find he also takes alot of his marks in the channel in front of goal, he very rarely gets pushed wide to the boundary.

Naughton and McKay have 20 more shots at goal from 5/3 more games respectively.

Naughton and McKay are 3 and 4, not 1 and 2.

They average a whole single disposal more than Larkey, so I think you are overplaying their impact around the ground, Larkey also acts as North's second ruck and averages 3 times more hitouts than McKay and more clearances as him, so he's obviously better at that as well.

Anyway, this is a moot point, I'm not arguing he's better than these 3, but McKay and Naughton have both been labelled the best young forwards in the league by the media at some point this season, Larkey is statistically very similar with just as much scope for improvement, he probably deserves to feature in the votes for that reason alone, as you could guarantee the Carlton media would be beating the drums for McKay if he was eligible.

Last edited:

Sliding doors moment.
Pretty sure that Cripps would have won it if he was three years younger and had played 90 games less as well.

But that's the thing - he wasn't eligible so there's not much point going on about it then is there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larkey is one of the best kicks for goal in the comp, he's a better kick for goal than Brown to put it in perspective, this was evident in him winning the Frosty Miller last year. It's not an outlier, it's just a strength of his.

I think you will find he also takes alot of his marks in the channel in front of goal, he very rarely gets pushed wide to the boundary.

Sorry, but total shots doesn't mean anything, Larkey kicks more goals, period, because he's a better kick of the football than all the others.

Naughton and McKay are 3 and 4, not 1 and 2.

They average a whole single disposal more than Larkey, so I think you are overplaying their impact around the ground, Larkey also acts as North's second ruck and averages 3 times more hitouts than McKay and more clearances as him, so he's obviously better at that as well.

Anyway, this is a moot point, McKay and Naughton have both been labelled the best young forwards in the league by the media at some point this season, Larkey is statistically very similar with just as much scope for improvement.

View attachment 729829
No disrespect to larkey who looks a good player but big Levi is our second ruck. Harry took a couple of bounces on Saturday whilst Levi was at full back but there have not been many this year.

No disrespect to larkey who looks a good player but big Levi is our second ruck. Harry took a couple of bounces on Saturday whilst Levi was at full back but there have not been many this year.

I wasn't debating who was the better ruckman, I was responding to a Carlton supporter who said McKay was more versatile because he's better around the ground because he rucks.....

When in fact Larkey also rucks and has the better hitout numbers of all 4 mentioned.

Not through injury though. He missed because he wasn't good enough to get in the side.

Rubbish, he wasn't in the side because Brad Scott decided to play Tom Campbell as a key forward at the start of the year.

Also, who cares? His runs are on the board at AFL level.

I wasn't debating who was the better ruckman, I was responding to a Carlton supporter who said McKay was more versatile because he's better around the ground because he rucks.....

When in fact Larkey also rucks and has the better hitout numbers of all 4 mentioned.
no he didnt, he said he's quick, bigger and CAN ruck, he hasnt been a chop out ruck since levi has been a mainstay in our best 22, but yes mckay does a lot more work around the ground runs up and down the wing which in recent times has been curnows job and is evident by McKay taking 11, 3 (really bad weather at the MCG), 11, 10 and 9 marks in his last 5 games.

I thought Walsh was solid today. Worked his way into it and finished with decent stats.

Not his best game but he was still decent

Na was a pretty average game. and 'decent stats' doesn't mean you automatically have a good game. So many players out there who can get 25 touches and have zero impact on a game. Im not saying walsh is one of those but his game on the weekend was pretty poor by his lofty standards already.

no he didnt, he said he's quick, bigger and CAN ruck, he hasnt been a chop out ruck since levi has been a mainstay in our best 22, but yes mckay does a lot more work around the ground runs up and down the wing which in recent times has been curnows job and is evident by McKay taking 11, 3 (really bad weather at the MCG), 11, 10 and 9 marks in his last 5 games.

He's quicker, bigger and can ruck...

Maybe Larkey is smarter, more skilled and a better natural goal kicker?

Do Carlton supporters concede anything in this thread?

Na was a pretty average game. and 'decent stats' doesn't mean you automatically have a good game. So many players out there who can get 25 touches and have zero impact on a game. Im not saying walsh is one of those but his game on the weekend was pretty poor by his lofty standards already.
Yeah that's only because the bar has been set so high. In isolation it was a solid game for a first year player.

He is buggered though, to play all 22 games as an 18/19 year old must be pretty bloody tough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back