Prediction 2019 Rising Star winner discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Larkey is one of the best kicks for goal in the comp, he's a better kick for goal than Brown to put it in perspective, this was evident in him winning the Frosty Miller last year. It's not an outlier, it's just a strength of his.

I think you will find he also takes alot of his marks in the channel in front of goal, he very rarely gets pushed wide to the boundary.

Naughton and McKay have 20 more shots at goal from 5/3 more games respectively.

Naughton and McKay are 3 and 4, not 1 and 2.

They average a whole single disposal more than Larkey, so I think you are overplaying their impact around the ground, Larkey also acts as North's second ruck and averages 3 times more hitouts than McKay and more clearances as him, so he's obviously better at that as well.

Anyway, this is a moot point, I'm not arguing he's better than these 3, but McKay and Naughton have both been labelled the best young forwards in the league by the media at some point this season, Larkey is statistically very similar with just as much scope for improvement, he probably deserves to feature in the votes for that reason alone, as you could guarantee the Carlton media would be beating the drums for McKay if he was eligible.

View attachment 729829

I agree with your comments about Larkey being underrated in the media and deserves more credit, but that is not the fault of McKay or Naughton is it ?

Don't think the Carlton media contingent are anywhere as influential as you think FYI.

Anyway, this is a moot point, I'm not arguing he's better than these 3, but McKay and Naughton have both been labelled the best young forwards in the league by the media at some point this season, Larkey is statistically very similar with just as much scope for improvement, he probably deserves to feature in the votes for that reason alone, as you could guarantee the Carlton media would be beating the drums for McKay if he was eligible.

Hmmm, the "Carlton Media" are in love with Charlie Curnow, not McKay lol. McKay deserves more attention if anything. He's a beast other than his kicking. Freak matchup.

Basically due to Sam Walsh receiving all the love, our other youngsters don't get any air-time either. Guys like Setterfield and SPS have taken massive jumps this year and are still young. But due to Sam hogging the limelight they get 0 media love.

If guys like McKay, Setterfield and SPS were at other clubs they'd be getting jizzed over...but because the media hates us and just wants to pretend our only good players are Walsh and Charlie, the rest get no love. I blame KB personally.

Hmmm, the "Carlton Media" are in love with Charlie Curnow, not McKay lol. McKay deserves more attention if anything. He's a beast other than his kicking. Freak matchup.

Basically due to Sam Walsh receiving all the love, our other youngsters don't get any air-time either. Guys like Setterfield and SPS have taken massive jumps this year and are still young. But due to Sam hogging the limelight they get 0 media love.

If guys like McKay, Setterfield and SPS were at other clubs they'd be getting jizzed over...but because the media hates us and just wants to pretend our only good players are Walsh and Charlie, the rest get no love. I blame KB personally.

Mate, after round 5 all and sundry in the media were jumping on McKay as in the next big thing.

He’s only kicked more than 2 goals once for the rest of the year.

All I’m saying is, Larkey is going as well as any young key forward at the moment, I doubt half the media even know his name.

Mate, after round 5 all and sundry in the media were jumping on McKay as in the next big thing.

All I’m saying is, Larkey is going as well as any young key forward at the moment, I doubt half the media even know his name.
Agree to disagree. Carlton are hated, make no mistake about it. Look at Cripps losing rising star or Simpson never making AA.

I agree with this. Larkey deserves more credit.

On McKay, his set shots at goal has been scary bad. It is all in his head as he is a good kick.

Larkey's just not sexy. McKay has the extreme athleticism for a guy his size, Naughton has the big high-flying contested mark clunks. Larkey doesn't do anything particularly highlight worthy, he's just a bloody smart footballer who gets himself to the right spot and makes the most of his opportunities.

Larkey's just not sexy. McKay has the extreme athleticism for a guy his size, Naughton has the big high-flying contested mark clunks. Larkey doesn't do anything particularly highlight worthy, he's just a bloody smart footballer who gets himself to the right spot and makes the most of his opportunities.

fair points

McKay takes the marks but cant hit the side of a barn compared to Larkey who takes less marks but kicks straight.
2 bags of 5 is pretty handy for a guy who's played 18 games...

fair points

McKay takes the marks but cant hit the side of a barn compared to Larkey who takes less marks but kicks straight.
2 bags of 5 is pretty handy for a guy who's played 18 games...
McKay was actually a very reliable kick early on. Something is in his head ATM and it's gone to water. No way of knowing really how Larkey goes in future years once there is pressure to perform.

Would love to understand one day what goes on mentally with these players. Someone like Casboult is now one of our best kicks for goal.

McKay's best value may end up being as our CHF. Impossible matchup with his speed, athleticism and size (he's 204cm). Then we play guys like Mitch and Curnow deeper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No talk at all of Battle being nominated? Or is that in another thread I might have missed?

I remember wanting Carlton to draft him as a 3rd forward.

He has been very impressive down back this year, especially when you were missing ~387* first-choice defenders.

*Margin of error 382

AFL footballers often get judged on what they can do, rather than what they actually do. Which I think is pretty silly.

Larkey definitely looks like he could end up as an under-the-radar/underrated player.

McKay was actually a very reliable kick early on. Something is in his head ATM and it's gone to water. No way of knowing really how Larkey goes in future years once there is pressure to perform.

Would love to understand one day what goes on mentally with these players. Someone like Casboult is now one of our best kicks for goal.

McKay's best value may end up being as our CHF. Impossible matchup with his speed, athleticism and size (he's 204cm). Then we play guys like Mitch and Curnow deeper.

Why isn't he under pressure to perform now?

I was going to say that Lewis is very underrated around here.

As I think Zuhaar is.

Zurhaar is a ripper, no argument from me. Larkey will be a decent forward without being an out and out star (in the mould of Scott Lucas) but I think Zuhaar has game breaking superstar potential in his DNA.

Going to be a very difficult player for opposition coaches to contain in 2 years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back