Draft Watcher 2019 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan. He reads the play so well, and isn't afraid to take the game on. He can burst through a pack at full speed and still hit up a 50m target. Yet I still get this feeling he goes later than he should, somewhere in the 10-18 range. Which would be a huge addition for any side already playing finals. If I was Brisbane, I'd be trading up to make sure I get him.

There's no doubt Fremantle need good kicks, my only slight issues are needs and the fact we should be adding those skills to the midfield and half forward line. He'd be a massive upgrade on Hughes, but with a healthy Pearce and Ryan alongside Hamling, it would probably be Logue who makes way for Gould.

Could he play as a mid?

Did anyone see Lachlan Hoile play in the Saturday game Eagles V West? I seen he got injured at the start of the 3rd quarter after leading possessions at half time. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on him?

Could he play as a mid?

He could...and I can't say it won't happen. But I feel like it's how Fremantle fans keep talking about Griffin Logue and his midfield potential. Or getting Luke Ryan up the field more. I'd rather someone develop as a great defender, than a good midfielder.

And I think Gould has the potential to be a great defender.

Did anyone see Lachlan Hoile play in the Saturday game Eagles V West? I seen he got injured at the start of the 3rd quarter after leading possessions at half time. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on him?

Yes saw the game and the incident. He went off holding his shoulder - heard he may have done his AC Joint in a strong bumping collision

In respect of his game he goes ok, still a bit to work on with his kicking efficiency going at 40% at a contested possession of 23%

He could...and I can't say it won't happen. But I feel like it's how Fremantle fans keep talking about Griffin Logue and his midfield potential. Or getting Luke Ryan up the field more. I'd rather someone develop as a great defender, than a good midfielder.

And I think Gould has the potential to be a great defender.

Fair enough. That kicking is a weapon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riley Thilthorpe put on a master class last Saturday. Rucked the second half. 22 disposals, lot of marks.

It's a shame Thilthorpe missed the Champs this year. I think he would have seriously pushed Jackson as the All Australian ruck. A few more dominant performances as a forward would be nice, but he's as good as the King brothers for me.

The other player who was excellent was Will Day. Disposal ready good, composed and classy.

I think people are maybe forgetting Day a little bit since the Champs ended. Definitely firming as a top 25 pick.

Yes saw the game and the incident. He went off holding his shoulder - heard he may have done his AC Joint in a strong bumping collision

In respect of his game he goes ok, still a bit to work on with his kicking efficiency going at 40% at a contested possession of 23%
Cheers for that. Yeah, Im pretty sure it was his collarbone. Did notice as well that his contested rate and kicking efficiency was down in comparison to the last few weeks.

His season overall disposal efficiency looked okay, going at 81%?

Cheers for that. Yeah, Im pretty sure it was his collarbone. Did notice as well that his contested rate and kicking efficiency was down in comparison to the last few weeks.

His season overall disposal efficiency looked okay, going at 81%?

Poor guy - done for the Grand Final then ? Yeah it was windy, scrappy day with both teams going at around 55% KE.

Last edited:
What's your thoughts on Oliver Shaw Chris? Played last 2 games in league and now playing ressies finlas (best on in elimination). Is he a chance to be drafted? Appears an average kick, does a lot well but not elite in anything.

Still confuses me how people dropped Dylan Stephens down the order after the Champs, claiming he underperformed. He was clearly the best outside midfielder across the tournament and a top 10 talent. He's only gotten better since then too.

As a Fremantle fan, I'm just hoping Adelaide try to be too clever and either trade down or overlook him.
No way he gets past Adelaide I reckon they will take best s.a kid.

Hi Cris if port keep it's first pick 9 maybe 10 do you think Stephens or Gould would still be on the table.
Seems like they are both coming up in the ranks a good SANFL finals series may push them further up.
Would love Stephens with our first then Pickett with our 2nd and mead father and son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Cris if port keep it's first pick 9 maybe 10 do you think Stephens or Gould would still be on the table.
Seems like they are both coming up in the ranks a good SANFL finals series may push them further up.
Would love Stephens with our first then Pickett with our 2nd and mead father and son.

I really doubt Stephens would be available. Gould will probably be there at Port’s pick, maybe something like a 70% chance or so...although having said that, my current draft would have Brisbane trading up to select him before Port’s pick.

I’d be bidding on Liam Henry if I were Port, he’d be a great fit. No chance Fremantle don’t match though. Pickett is a bit of a wildcard, could go second round but could go much later. I’d also be looking at Taheny before Pickett for Port.

What's your thoughts on Oliver Shaw Chris? Played last 2 games in league and now playing ressies finlas (best on in elimination). Is he a chance to be drafted? Appears an average kick, does a lot well but not elite in anything.

Pretty much what you said. He does a lot of things well, just nothing great. Off the top of my head, I don’t think he got a combine invite?

I think he’ll be a good SANFL player, might be a mature aged prospect to watch in the coming years. Probably not drafted this year though.

There has been a bit of talk in the media that a few of the teams with picks 2-7 might look to trade them for two later picks - I know Adelaide at least have confirmed that they are looking at it. I kn ow this will change during the trade period but currently the only club with two picks suitable for such a trade is GWS with picks 11 and 13 (at the moment). Using the AFL draft value index these picks equate roughly to pick 2. The AFL draft value index doesn't take into account the players being drafted though - and a lot of people disagree with it anyway. What single pick do you think would be a fair trade for picks 11 and 13 in this draft based only on the players available (not considering what clubs want or need)?
Chris, I asked this question of Pie for life in his thread. I'm interested in your thoughts on this too.

Hi Chris25 now that Freo have made list cuts and have pick 6/7 plus a second rounder and some late picks (subject to change). Who do you think they should target early, mid and late draft plus a rookie pick?

Also love the sound of a few of the south aus players and some may like that Valente is playing for Freo

Find him really hard to place. There is something about him but not sure if it's enough to get him drafted. Love his lateral movement and the left footers always look slightly more classy. Pretty good in the contest and with his clearance work as well. Late draft/rookie if he gets taken.

It's a shame Thilthorpe missed the Champs this year. I think he would have seriously pushed Jackson as the All Australian ruck. A few more dominant performances as a forward would be nice, but he's as good as the King brothers for me.

Love how you slip this bomb in and nobody takes the bait. The King brothers are rather gifted, so assuming your call is correct, then watch out!

Chris, I asked this question of Pie for life in his thread. I'm interested in your thoughts on this too.

I think the Giants' two first round picks are worth pick 3 in this draft - trade wise, obviously depends on whether there is a priority pick or not. With Rowell and Anderson being a clear top 2, I think the Giants would have to pay up more to get one of those guys.

Hi Chris25 now that Freo have made list cuts and have pick 6/7 plus a second rounder and some late picks (subject to change). Who do you think they should target early, mid and late draft plus a rookie pick?

Also love the sound of a few of the south aus players and some may like that Valente is playing for Freo

It's impossible to say with Fremantle until after the trade week, way too much is set to play out - both with players we're sending out and any who may come our way.

But I think our first pick (and hopefully first two from the Hill trade) will be out of Dylan Stephens, Lachie Ash, Hayden Young and Deven Robertson. Then we'll obviously match any bid for Liam Henry. And I suspect look to get ourselves in a position for one/both of Luke Jackson (mid first) and Elijah Taylor (early second). That would probably use up all our mid draft picks.

Later on, I'd be looking at the likes of Jai Jackson, Tyrone Thorne, Callum Jamieson and Jarvis Pina just to name a few of the local WA kids.

Love how you slip this bomb in and nobody takes the bait. The King brothers are rather gifted, so assuming your call is correct, then watch out!

I certainly like Thilthorpe. It's just a matter of whether he settles into the ruck or plays as a KPP. I suspect he'll shoulder much of the ruck work in the futures game in a couple of weeks, and again at the Champs last year. But he played 6 weeks of league football this year for West Adelaide, and settled into the key forward role well.

I think the Giants' two first round picks are worth pick 3 in this draft - trade wise, obviously depends on whether there is a priority pick or not. With Rowell and Anderson being a clear top 2, I think the Giants would have to pay up more to get one of those guys.

It's impossible to say with Fremantle until after the trade week, way too much is set to play out - both with players we're sending out and any who may come our way.

But I think our first pick (and hopefully first two from the Hill trade) will be out of Dylan Stephens, Lachie Ash, Hayden Young and Deven Robertson. Then we'll obviously match any bid for Liam Henry. And I suspect look to get ourselves in a position for one/both of Luke Jackson (mid first) and Elijah Taylor (early second). That would probably use up all our mid draft picks.

Later on, I'd be looking at the likes of Jai Jackson, Tyrone Thorne, Callum Jamieson and Jarvis Pina just to name a few of the local WA kids.

Any team that could land Stephens young and Henry in the one draft would have to be ecstatic. That would be a brilliant brilliant haul.

Thilthorpe is a very mobile forward/ruck, reminds me a bit of a young Kreuzer or Marshall type. Has played KPF well this season as an underager KP so next year will be very interesting to see if he shifts Parella out from the ruck or continues to play forward. Bit different to the King's, he's 50% ruck 50% forward whereas they are much more forward dominant footballers (and potentially back for Ben)

Fremantle are in an interesting position, I really rate Henry super high. Depending on your Hill trade and where other clubs rate Henry, you draft could look amazing.

If you can manage to secure two first round selections before having to use picks for the Henry bid, it could be a good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back