2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thing to consider at some stage we will bring in our first two from last year Sturt and Valente. To go with three first rounders from this year.

I don’t really have a problem with one of those three being a longer term project ie Jackson or Kemp that we can shelve and bring along slowly.

He's rated at 13 ,so around the mark, can be a big bodied midfielder. PLUS he is local

View attachment 773513
Rivers has also been as high 28 on some draft boards. I would love either one of Sharp,Rivers. or Taylor to go with Henry and our two early picks. I know its not likely. But Henry is still a late first rounder 16-18 on quite a few draft boards. If he was to last to say Richmonds first pick then we could probably do a deal in live trading where we offer pick 22 a future Melbourne second and the Collingwood future third in exchange for getting the richmond pick and the equivalent points with later picks to be able to still get Henry.

After Darcys first handful of games I thought he was jesus christ. Hopefully he gets his fitness and drive back and starts leading with his front foot.
Otherwise come on down meek..
Darcy will be fine, get a full preseason into him. Last year he missed most of preseason due to injury. People should remember the game against Port when he tore Lycett & Ryder apart and won us the game.

If Flanders, Ash, Stephens, and Jackson were available at your first pick, who’d be the go? (Picking for freo in our mock draft)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah.

Really the only one I'd take over him would be Stephens. Prefer Henry to Serong/Flanders etc. Exactly what this team needs.

Only if a bid costs us 7 and 10 would I pass.

You work with a kid of his quality for a couple of years, have him at the club working with Fyfe etc. and then pass on him because you rated him 11 instead of 10?

Nah

I'd be very surprised if we overlook Jackson (if available).
I read bigfooty, absorb the group think and and fall in love with a player. I listen to the draft and my heart fills with relief each time my beloved is overlooked by a rival club. He couldn't possibly fall to us, the rival club with the pick before us calls out a different name and I experience pure joy, like a dream where everything is right with the world. Then a little thought pops up. Fremantle still has to call out Jesus Christs' player number. Unlikely but within the realms of possibility. What if they don't? Joy is gone and I'm back in hell.

You know what comes next. Fremantle makes their pick and calls out a name I barely recognize because all my "research" has been spent reading about Jesus. I do three things next. Firstly, I repeat what I described in the previous paragraph hoping the baby messiah falls to our next pick. Next I pray like hell that West Coast doesn't select him. That is a future I couldn't handle. Thirdly I search through bigfooty phantom drafts and postings about the Joe Bloggs we did select in an effort to convince myself that Master Bloggs could have a better future than Christ Himself.

Fast forward a year and Bloggs is my favourite player even if he hasn't quite hit his straps. That's ok because he will end up captaining the club and as a Freo player he is underated by the general media.

Is it possible to be surprised every year when the same thing happens?

With Western and the Walker twins available next year it'll be intriguing what we do with 2020 first and the 2 seconds.

If we lose 10 to Henry it could really free us up a bit to take a couple of swings.

Stephens/Jackson (7) Henry 10, trade a 2020 first to Geelong for 14 or 17 and a second? Take Gould and Sharp?

Any chance we overlook Henry if bid on before 10?
I wouldn't think so.
A bid within the top 4 or 5 on the other hand would definitely give us something to think about.
I'm of the view that you draft best available 90% of the time and for needs 10%.
I know I'm in the minority but I rate Jackson well ahead of Robertson as far as West Aussies are concerned.

I wouldn't think so.
A bid within the top 4 or 5 on the other hand would definitely give us something to think about.
I'm of the view that you draft best available 90% of the time and for needs 10%.
I know I'm in the minority but I rate Jackson well ahead of Robertson as far as West Aussies are concerned.
I rate Jackson higher than Robertson. Wouldn't mind Robertson later, but I would take Jackson and Henry before Robertson. FWIW.
A bid at 3 would be a worst case scenario because I don't think 7 covers it. If Melbourne want us to let him slide. That would be the way to do it.

I agree that he’s just what we need but he’d be too expensive at 8 or 9 and there are other players that offer what he offers.
If he is bid on at 8 or 9 then it suggests that some recruiters don't think he is too expensive at 8 or 9. He is too expensive in your eyes, which is ok.

I agree that he’s just what we need but he’d be too expensive at 8 or 9 and there are other players that offer what he offers.
Who would you pick first ahead of Henry? Considering a bid of 8 or 9 means we would use pick 10. If Henry is 10-12 on our list I’d pick him. If he is further back, then I’d understand us passing on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back