2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically if we come away with Ash, Robertson and Henry that would be a super draft for us. That combo ticks a lot of boxes in terms of need for outside run.

No chance for Jackson and will miss out on Georgiades, Rivers and Sharp.

I’d be very happy with that outcome. I’m sure Adelaide will take stephens, Gws will take Flanders. I just hope Melbourne and Carlton take serong and kemp to leave Robertson there at 10 if we are going that way. I’d prefer to pick Robertson at 7 though

Robertson’s in the bag taken at 7, pick 10 comes around and the following players are off the board, who do you take?

Jackson, Stephens, Flanders, Kemp, Young, Green, Anderson and Rowell.

Maginniss (bid), McCasey, Gould - imop will be a champion of the game, (all three elite and the asset to good to pass by).

Next three a reach but - Bianco (best deliverer on left and right foot), C Stephens (near top ten before leg break and has recovered well), Day (huge upside and development in the last eight months very significant and will be a top class winger or half back -ala David Rhys-Jones'). Sorry no Ash or Serong.

Maginniss (bid), McCasey, Gould - imop will be a champion of the game, (all three elite and the asset to good to pass by).

Next three a reach but - Bianco (best deliverer on left and right foot), C Stephens (near top ten before leg break and has recovered well), Day (huge upside and development in the last eight months very significant and will be a top class winger or half back -ala David Rhys-Jones'). Sorry no Ash or Serong.

You’ve named a few but no Sharp or Rivers either?

Cal Twomey doesnt see Gould being taken until around pick 25? If he’s still there in the 20s do we trade back in with a second rounder from 2020 for him or do we go for someone like Taylor? I’d be disappointed if we don’t end up with 4 top 30 picks from this draft.

Like Chris has also explained (has him at 8th most talented), Twomey rates Gould much much higher too as a talent but it is where he fits in to the order that clubs are picking with and what they need in there opinion. Shifter also said as much.

Logue and Gould in our side together, no problem. One thing you can be sure of, Gould will get the ball twice as much as Logue stats wise.

You’ve named a few but no Sharp or Rivers either?

Not at 10 Scham but close, with your scenario of that best 8 gone. For me it is the problem with pick 10 just being a stretch for them.

If at just prior to our turn we could trade our 10 and 22 with PA for 12 and 18, confident no bid for Henry till after 12 that would be about right to pick with. 12 for any of Sharp, Rivers, Taylor (who I think is up there but honestly hav'nt seen enough of him), Day, Bianco, Ash and Serong (both very good but I just don't think right for us).

Like Shifter stated - Taylor is the one in the draft that does things no other can do and played chf in the VicMetro WA game. Just needs some physical development - the only reason he is not up there in rating. Would be okay if we took him with 12-15 imop.

Not at 10 Scham but close, with your scenario of that best 8 gone. For me it is the problem with pick 10 just being a stretch for them.

If at just prior to our turn we could trade our 10 and 22 with PA for 12 and 18, confident no bid for Henry till after 12 that would be about right to pick with. 12 for any of Sharp, Rivers, Taylor (who I think is up there but honestly hav'nt seen enough of him), Day, Bianco, Ash and Serong (both very good but I just don't think right for us).

Like Shifter stated - Taylor is the one in the draft that does things no other can do and played chf in the VicMetro WA game. Just needs some physical development - the only reason he is not up there in rating. Would be okay if we took him with 12-15 imop.

I guess the question for me is, are Ash, Serong and McAsey that much better than the locals in Sharp, Rivers and Taylor? It’s a reach that’s for sure but I think it’s a reasonable one to stay local, and I also think all things going well, Sharp and Taylor will end up better players than Ash and Serong.

I guess the question for me is, are Ash, Serong and McAsey that much better than the locals in Sharp, Rivers and Taylor? It’s a reach that’s for sure but I think it’s a reasonable one to stay local, and I also think all things going well, Sharp and Taylor will end up better players than Ash and Serong.
Really depends on where Aish plays, either wing or HB. Being a former pick 7, then you have Acres. HB, midfield
and really we have enough depth.
Add in Henry, and the depth on the outside is better but still questionable.
We need elite skills, decision making first, if they don't have that then what was the point in turfing Ross.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really depends on where Aish plays, either wing or HB. Being a former pick 7, then you have Acres. HB, midfield
and really we have enough depth.
Add in Henry, and the depth on the outside is better but still questionable.
We need elite skills, decision making first, if they don't have that then what was the point in turfing Ross.

So you're saying we need Will Gould

I’d reach for Sharp at 10 if we miss out on Stephens. Hard outside runner with big tank and good skills. I know 10 is a pretty big reach, but so was Hill at 3 at the time. Sharp won’t be there after we pay for Henry, but he’s just what we need. I’m defs on the Sharp bandwagon. Helps that he’s a dyed in the wool Freo fan.

I’d reach for Sharp at 10 if we miss out on Stephens. Hard outside runner with big tank and good skills. I know 10 is a pretty big reach, but so was Hill at 3 at the time. Sharp won’t be there after we pay for Henry, but he’s just what we need. I’m defs on the Sharp bandwagon. Helps that he’s a dyed in the wool Freo fan.
I still very much want sharp even if we nab Stephens as well(pretty much for same reasons as you )

However I think we could extract better value by downgrading 10 and still get sharp but potentially pick up another player on top, tho I reckon we simply try and trade back in using some of our currency from next year.
(I still want Robertson more than any other player)

My ideal draft is still Stephens/Robertson/sharp and Henry,
I’d also be very keen on trading in for georgiades-has definitely got talent and would give our fwd line another different look.

SELWOOD TYPE A BIG IMPROVER

JORDAN MCARDLE

CHAD Warner is a contested-ball machine who loves putting his head over the footy and rarely misses a tackle. So it comes as no surprise his favourite player is courageous Geelong skipper Joel Selwood. “He’s a great player but he’s also quite similar to the way I play so I’ve really looked up to him, especially this year being my draft year,” Warner said. The East Fremantle product is rocketing up the draft calculations on the back of a brilliant season at national under-18 and WAFL colts levels. Warner is firming as a second or third-round selection in this month’s national draft, with Geelong , which currently haspicks 14, 17, 24, 36 and 93, one of several interstate clubs to show interest in the 179cm midfielder. Brisbane (picks 16, 21, 34, 48, 52, 55, 72) are also in the mix, while Fremantle (7, 10, 22, 58, 69, 79, 83) is the only WA club to have spoken to him. “Early in the year I’m not sure how much interest there was to be honest but it definitely ramped up quite a bit in the second half of the season,” Warner said. “It does give me a lot of confidence to get that sort of interest after the improvement that I’ve shown. “I’ve definitely done everything I can. “I trained really hard at combine training, all those afternoons out at Tuart Hill, and have put myself in the best position I can.” Warner’s 2019 performances mirror the interest he’s received. He averaged 18 disposals and seven tackles across the national under-18 carnival. But Warner saved his best performance for last, amassing 25 possessions, six inside 50s, five tackles and four clearances in the last-gasp win over Vic Country. The confidence from contributing to WA’s drought-breaking championship success was evident when he returned to the Sharks colts. Warner produced a 31-possession , 13-tackle , one-goal effort against Swan Districts in round 14 which set the tone for his strong finish to the season. The Aquinas College student is one of six East Fremantle players expected to get drafted, including his best mate and under-18 All-Australian Trent Rivers. From footy to school, work and even surfing, the pair do pretty much everything together. “I think the main reason we’re good mates is because we’re like-minded and we’ve both got the same goal to play AFL,” Warner said. “We’re always pushing each other hard at training.”

This got me thinking cats may go a WA rivers , sharp and Warner combo at their 14, 17,24 picks

If Stephens goes early and we take Robertson, I actually wouldn't mind a Henry bid at 9 that forces us to get creative with pick 10 and we end up with 4 picks instead of 3 in the top 25ish.

I really, really hope we get Taylor. Not a huge fan of Suma, but he knows his players well and says Taylor is the most talented. I wanna see a Henry and Taylor combo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back