Fantasy 2020 - Alpha League Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said, pissed away my good week last week.

Last year I lose because Sanders slides instead of TDs, this year I run into Kamara.
You had one of my selection moments leaving Gaskin on the bench.

It's an interesting snapshot of the history. Nakeddeadguy for a long time was a playoff choker. Minor Premier and/or division winner, but failing thru the first four years. One won, then lost one, then missed playoffs one year, won it again, missed playoffs again, finished fourth, and then threepeat -- dagless threepeat runner-up :(

The leaderboard tho shows the utter dominance tho, double the next best handful of teams, and then it craters off to the rest of us :(

screenshot-docs.google.com-2020.12.31-21_17_30.png

It's an interesting snapshot of the history. Nakeddeadguy for a long time was a playoff choker. Minor Premier and/or division winner, but failing thru the first four years. One won, then lost one, then missed playoffs one year, won it again, missed playoffs again, finished fourth, and then threepeat -- dagless threepeat runner-up :(

The leaderboard tho shows the utter dominance tho, double the next best handful of teams, and then it craters off to the rest of us :(

View attachment 1034331
Removing me from any consideration is a tad harsh...

How does your point system work GG?
Scoring Settings —https://fantasy.espn.com/football/league/settings?leagueId=6067&view=scoring

List of top scoring players — https://fantasy.espn.com/football/players/add?leagueId=6067

In short...QBs are still godly, just not insanely so like in Alpha, then RBs and WRs are tops, but defensive players score much better than in Alpha, making IDPs more draftable and valuable than in Alpha. Top IDPs around the same as top 15+ or so RBs/WRs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Illustrates well how predictable the league has been the last 3 years. Same exact winner and runner up. TGBB 2/3 years 3rd, drd 2/3 years 4th.

I miss being good.

Cant see anyone getting close to the top 2 for a little while yet :(

No secret but If you grab elite QBs it’s tough to catch up, so when two teams grab 3 elite (fantasy wise) each...good luck. No argument just good drafting with other good players complimenting. If two QBs starters get voted in then that may change quicker.

Illustrates well how predictable the league has been the last 3 years. Same exact winner and runner up. TGBB 2/3 years 3rd, drd 2/3 years 4th.

I miss being good.

Cant see anyone getting close to the top 2 for a little while yet :(
Yeah, looking like a ndg-dagless-drd23 type of outcome for probably another 3 years, before we see a drop off and other teams drafting/trading well before they start bexoming contenders.

If two QBs starters get voted in then that may change quicker.
That coupled with cuts down to 30 not 34 (still 7 round draft)....helps parity a little more, as the really strong teams have to let go some decent players....liken that idea to how a handful of good players every year every team choose to become UFAs, look for a better contract or change of scene.

No secret but If you grab elite QBs it’s tough to catch up, so when two teams grab 3 elite (fantasy wise) each...good luck. No argument just good drafting with other good players complimenting. If two QBs starters get voted in then that may change quicker.
And it’s also why you cannot change such a fundamental element of the league. Well done to NDG for great drafting. He should not be penalised by the rules being changed so fundamentally IMO

I personally have taken a QB with my first pick the last 3 years, I would be severely hampered in my rebuild if I can’t start all 3 on a regular basis

I get people want some parity but it’s a a dynasty league, there will be dynasty franchises

And it’s also why you cannot change such a fundamental element of the league. Well done to NDG for great drafting. He should not be penalised by the rules being changed so fundamentally IMO

I personally have taken a QB with my first pick the last 3 years, I would be severely hampered in my rebuild if I can’t start all 3 on a regular basis

I get people want some parity but it’s a a dynasty league, there will be dynasty franchises
If enough people vote for it then bad luck. It could also lead to less tanking to what we clearly saw this season

I still remember. Was my first time creating a dynasty league, had previously just played the standard types. During the very first draft, someone mentioned how i stuffed up with two OP slots, wanted to change mid-draft, but told no, we still couldve fixed it mid draft, we'd only just gone a few rounds of the 40. Was promised could fix all the problems 2009. That included stuffing up the scoring.

Not only are we 12 years past now without change, but where we are today is testament to why we shouldve fixed it sooner and why it was a problem originally.

Not playing for money, if we were thats unfair on NDG. Its just a fun league no prizemoney. Surely the fun/parity aspect of it then is more important otherwise the league could eventually disband. Like even if i were the NDG of this league, 5-1 titles, 5 minor prems, looking like winning another 3 to make a sixpeat....im not afraid with the proposals, if im forced to part with a QB, i can trade them for high picks, not like you lose the value you have, not forced to release for nothing. If i see i have to cut to 30, and im so stacked at RB/WR i could lose one or two, id trade for high picks. But, still, the scoring so broken for IDPs theyre worthless to roster, that 40 man roster pointless, no GM challenge, squeezing you for roster room...can discard IDPs and hoard Offense. The format is weak unfortunately. Its why the league has problems, also with potential tanking for QBs (and RB/WR) because the scoring is a bit broken too allowing such afterthought and no challenge/squeezing.

Ive got Omega where i want it. Like Drd23 said there, I wouldnt want to make Alpha anymore like Empire/Omega...they exist now where i idealize a dynasty should be.

But for Alpha....maybe we can really flip it and make it something different altogether, like a new story, a new league type moving forward, to continue this great 12 year stretch of friendship and fun.

We can pool our ideas together, not just me. All eager for different ideas we'd always thought about.

Eg....how about we get rid of IDPs for example? Have DSTs and make the scoring for that really really good, so its worthwhile. Max own 2 DSTs.

Eg....how about trimming roster down then to like 25 roughly. Trimming QBs, RBs, WRs.

Eg.....how about total pts not h2h

Eg....how about roto scoring (not sure espn offers it, Fleaflicker does)

Etc with other ideas, people can come up with them. Pool together the cool ones, re-fashion the league Alpha 2.0, but not trying to ruin NDG/Dagless teams, can still be strong, just not as stronger.

Eg....how about we get rid of IDPs for example? Have DSTs and make the scoring for that really really good, so its worthwhile. Max own 2 DSTs.
I’d be interested in this. Let’s face it IDPs in this league just aren’t that significant. I like the idea if just 1 DST so that way you can swap them around every week according to NFL match ups. Make it more strategic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back