Review 2020 and the good things that emerged from a horrible year

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the positives in this thread. I'm on board with Rhyce, he comes across as the polar opposite of Brad who I personally didn't rate. Rhyce has shown he's prepared to take risks, not just in selection, but encourages the players to take risks and back themselves in, they make mistakes, but continue to grow and develop from being able to use their skill set and natural flair, where as before they were robotic.
LMac is proof of how good this philosophy is, his natural game is by far better than what he was playing.
Backing in what is a solid bunch of kids is another bonus
Goldy having a cracker season where by rights he should get the recognition he deserves.
Taz and Walker have built a solid unit down back, which is a solid foundation for the young guys developing.
Larkey stepping up and is handling the pressure well
A lot may not agree, but I reckon At's game has stepped up a cog this year.
Pittard has taken on a new roll in the forward line, and has done ok, he'll get better over time.
Jed has been a warrior and has had the best year in a while.
LDU has come back and is building well, he plays with a confidence that knowing the coaches are backing you in even when you stuff up as long as you show your learning from your mistakes.
Froggy has stepped up this year, he's shown he's capable of taking a more physical approach to his game.
Over time if they can get more constancy of players on the field and they gel together as a backline, midfield and forwardline unit, they will be a threat.
Polec, IMO, good solid offensive wingman, but he does need to work on his glaring weakness , defense. I also think it's derogatory to Rhyce and Jared to intimate there is "bad blood" between them in the absences of proof. I would say though, if and that's a big if they are hoping to shop him around, his value will be lowered by the fact it's become public that there's a problem ( people tend to draw the worse conclusion in the absence of fact)
He has a known foot problem that Flair's up
And it would be his fourth club.
Rawlings knows exactly what he's doing with a list so in him I have a huge amount of faith.
The changes he'll make are glaringly obvious.
Looking towards a new improved 2021

what’s good you ask? Finally realising the clubs reliance on the current crop of 100+ gamers won’t get us nowhere and the players we though as core are intact duds.

I know its an old cliche but i actually believe that a lot of the bad that has happened this year will put us in a stronger position going forward, we cant say we are plastering over the cracks now that the wall has finally collapsed.

7drHiqr.gif

yes a good thread and one that we may need to keep a close look on. Perez will be a gun and I'm not just getting ahead of myself. he's got it all, the desire, grit , want and a hunger to succeed. Oh and importantly the skills.

Personally I haven't been upset with the results at all and have tried to focus on those moments where you think "he's got it". Two early draft picks to come later this year.

A focus on bringing in skilled footballers with elite traits should hold us in good stead. Bring on the draft.

yes a good thread and one that we may need to keep a close look on. Perez will be a gun and I'm not just getting ahead of myself. he's got it all, the desire, grit , want and a hunger to succeed. Oh and importantly the skills.

Personally I haven't been upset with the results at all and have tried to focus on those moments where you think "he's got it". Two early draft picks to come later this year.

A focus on bringing in skilled footballers with elite traits should hold us in good stead. Bring on the draft.
Seen a few posts about Comben and Perez, I think its too early to be saying whether or not they'll be any good, as we are yet to see to see them play a proper match (not even a reserves level game, i don't count intra club and the scratch matches). At one stage, people were pumping up Ayden Kennedy and moaning about him not being played, just like these guys now.

They might come in and show they have what it takes, I just find it odd that we can say 'they'll be guns' or 'our forward stocks are looking good with Comben' without seeing them play a senior match.

Some good signs of improvement in:
  • Curtis T - big leaps
  • Bailey - running down the wing
  • Jy(first half of season)
  • B McKay - strong.
  • LDU and EVW (atleast on the park)
  • Luke McD been great
  • Kyron show’s a few signs
Suppose we can be impatient? Look at Petracca.....taken him 90 games to really figure it out.

C’mon TAO, haven’t you heard, the sky is falling..... Agreed mate, plenty to look forward too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The positives are become harder to find the longer this season continues.

Most have revealed themselves already, but I am holding back on EVW who is doing everything right to add to the list.

Ahhh. A Silver Linings Thread. Well I'm not gonna read any of the proceeding views because quite frankly you're a bunch of bananas so you may find me repeating what has already been written. :stern look

So obviously the injuries and poor form of senior types has created opportunities for some of our younger players. The following are the younger guys that have shown improvement.

Scott. I am very impressed by his two way running. He has hit the scoreboard as a forward. I rated him as junior and he has continued to improve this season. One of the Major Highlights for this season for mine. We need more of his type at the club.

Taylor. Has a bag of tricks. Was playing some good football before being injured. Will be a player IMO and is already best 18 when fit.

McKay. Has grabbed his chance. Still has work to do but as one Big Dick Zebra once told me, Big Men Take Time. :stern look

Xerri. The Bomb is a Brute. There is a bit of Mummy about him and I aint talking about Half Tonne Mom. It's great that he has had a taste at senior level. Hopefully he continues to improve. :stern look

Hayden. Showed some great signs before getting injured. Did cough up the ball on occasion but he hopefully works that out of his game. Is willing to take the game on and we need that.

LDU. For the first time I have seen translate what he did at Under 18s level to the AFL. That burst from a pack. Has got stronger and is starting to win more contested ball. Looks to have improved his fitness. Good Stuff. May he continue to progress.

Other players that need to be mentioned for having improved are:

Luke McDonald. Best season for North Melbourne. Got himself fit and it has paid dividends. He can tag and he has lifted his back half game to a new level.

Simpkin. Especially early in the year he was playing some very good football. Showed he had the potential of taking his game to the next level. I wouldn't be surprised if he is carrying an injury / niggle now and his form has dropped off a little from where it was at. Another with a bag of tricks.

Players I was glad to see back.

EVW. He is back and slowly working his way into some form. He can play. Hopefully this season provides the springboard into an injury free 2021.

Will Walker. This is the sort of guy we need in our side. Can run. Knows how to spread which should impress Cytherea. My testicles are crossed that he quickly overcomes his hamstring injury and is also injury free in 2021.

So yeah these are the highlights for mine. I've got plenty of Doom and Gloom for you guys but I'll leave that for the other threads. :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back