Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

I still think the crows list is better than everyone thinks. Crows lost 4-5 close games last year due to bad kicking. The wait and see is whether the forward structure is improved since Hart’s departure.

You are your results in the end of the day, so no we're not better then what everyone thinks.

Still, looking at how ripped Fog is at the moment, this rebuild might end up being quicker then I've thought.

lol yeah.

apparently me saying he's not the best in the draft translates to "you hate him, you hate him, you hate him".

you cant fix stupid.
Honestly what do you two blokes base your opinions on? I'd like to know how much junior footy you watch, how many live games you attend, how much vision you watch and for how long out from their draft year you watch them? If it's not much of that, then your opinions/rankings are worth very little.

Honestly what do you two blokes base your opinions on? I'd like to know how much junior footy you watch, how many live games you attend, how much vision you watch and for how long out from their draft year you watch them? If it's not much of that, then your opinions/rankings are worth very little.
There are only a few people who give detailed descriptions of younger players. Most are just watching highlight reels and throwing s**t against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Hawks seem to do pretty well with late firsts/early seconds. In a draft like this (Covid/limited under age footy), clubs that are the best in the business can clean up. I’d say Hawks/Cats would be the two clubs that would do well this year.

Also, we as fans have no idea. You saying worthless is no different to 9 out of 10 crows posters threatening to melt if they don’t get the guy they’ve talked themselves into . We have no idea. Whoever we select at 1 is the guy that I’m backing to be the best choice. If Hawks trade out pick 4, it’s because their recruiters know what they are doing... 🤷‍♂️

I think there were some rumours floating about that Hawks were interested in Perkins, so it might be that they think that’s a bit too early to take him. Or that the quality of players between Pick 5 & 10 is fairly even. I think the odds are slim in doing a trade, but if we don’t take TT, and he slides to Hawks/GC then you’d have to say we’ll have a fair crack. If he slides to Essendon he’s gone

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just on bidding (for JUH): There's a concept in Contract Bridge called "being fair to the field" in a tournament. It means that you don't change your playing style based on where you are in the standings / what score you need to maintain your position. (Like, you don't start taking silly risks that no reasonable player would take.) Because the way you play, and what you score, affects the outcome for other players in the tournament. And I think a similar thing would apply in other contests / sports.

Applying this to the draft, I think it means that we bid on JUH if and only if he is genuinely the player that is #1 in our talent order. We don't not bid because we know the Bulldogs will match, and we don't bid just to be spiteful, knowing that we'll get our "real first choice" at pick 2. We just play a straight bat and let the rules sort it out.

- At the same time, I can understand a "strategic bid" if we see a benefit to us in knocking out draft picks from the other club. Is just doing damage to the other club, without a benefit to us, a justification? Maybe not.

there are many knock on benefits to bidding on JUH.

but the principle reason is that we’d be delighted if WB chose not to match.

For me whilst I love Hollands I think we'll go with McDonald, I also believe there are lots of plans in the pipeline for Pick 9, it's very dependent on if the player we want is there and we may look to fall back and get another 1st next year

I've done 4 Psych Tests over the years.... allowing as you say for experience gained, they all matched exactly ...also matched my Myers Brigg testing & vocational guidance test from Primary school

All Draftees should do it, but i suspect the AFLPA would step in & prevent it ......could have helped though with Angwin :(

Serial Killer?
Sex pest?
Gimp?

Do you honestly believe Hollands knee is ok as it was an injury without any contact?? I’m afraid that he could easily do it again without to much pressure. He’s very talented and could be a star but if he does his knee one more time it could spell disaster.
Huge risk to pick a player with a knee injury at pick one. Has there ever been a player who has done a knee go pick 1?

should we look to trade Doedee then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schoenberg mentioned being mates with Poulter. If it were to come down to a 50/50 call between Poulter and another player in Hamish's draft order, maybe he gets a look in. I know the club is keen to draft players who already have friends at the club. They did it last year with Gollant being mates with Sholl having played juniors together previously. McAsey and Worrel also came from the same club.

The feeling I got from that interview is that he would genuinely like to play for the crows.
defo got a good head on his shoulders. If he wants to play for us just bloody pick him, its not rocket science

Schoenberg mentioned being mates with Poulter. If it were to come down to a 50/50 call between Poulter and another player in Hamish's draft order, maybe he gets a look in. I know the club is keen to draft players who already have friends at the club. They did it last year with Gollant being mates with Sholl having played juniors together previously. McAsey and Worrel also came from the same club.

possibly less of a concern with South australian’s though.

Sorry if already discussed, but don't have time to read all these threads. I'm going to assume we consider JUH the best player, and to assume that our recruiters assume any bid for JUH will be matched.

Suppose, (and not saying we do) actually want Campbell. Should we take him at #1 to reduce the likelihood of being matched by Sydney? If we bid on JUH #1 (as it is our civic duty to stick it up the dogs and make sure they pay fair value) and get matched, then a bid on Campbell at #2 would take a lot less points making Sydney more inclined to match, yes?

Not sure what Port's reaction would be if bids for JUH and Campbell were matched, and we called Jones at #3...

I expect (assuming we keep #1, which appears nowhere near certain) that we will maintain our mantra of best available talent.

However, the above scenario could come into play if we really, really want a genuine midfielder with our first pick. Campbell and Phillips appear to be the best two 'pure' mids in the draft, and not much between them. Pushing Sydney to full price for Campbell would be a nice move.

Suppose we did bid #1 JUH, got matched, and bid #2 Campbell. To match, Sydney would lose pick 3 (which becomes #4) meaning they only get one of the top 10 players instead of 2 if their pick #4 wasn't a free choice? That leaves us one more player to choose from at #11. Is that correct?

How gettable is HAW pick 4? 🤔🤔
Would they consider 9,23 and Melb 2nd for 4 and a future 3rd

We’d then go

1.Hollands
4. Thilthorpe
22. Poulter
40. Baldwin
80. Borlase

I'm still hoping we doing almost this exactly, swap out Baldwin for Newchurch.

Hollands, Thilthorpe, Poulter, Borlase and Newchurch.

Last edited:
he can’t even get a spot onfield

his current team gave 3x firsts to avoid playing him

he most certainly does NOT get on base. He can’t even get in the dug out

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. He's nearly 32 years old, everyone reaches the end at some point.

For whatever reason he's always been irrationally underrated by many people. He has his flaws but he's a perfect example of a 'moneyball' footballer and has had a very good career.

Put it this way, if we had invested a top 10 draft pick in a key forward and he ended up with a career like Josh Jenkins, I wouldn’t be unhappy. Looking at the careers of other key forwards taken with top 10 picks, that would probably be a par score.

When was the last time we were a week out from the Draft and genuinely had 3-4 names in the mix to be called out first?

I know it's a year like no other, but makes for a much watch Draft telecast.

And I love how it's the AFC making the call for once that will shape the entire top 10. Not perennial Draft losers Carlton, Melbourne, GWS, or Gold Coast.

We're in the thick of it and I don't really give a sh!t which one of the 3 we pick. It's much of a muchness at this stage of their development. At the end of the day we'll get a freakin good young player and from the sounds of all interviews a freakin good person too.

And also McAsey and Hollands are mates from school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back