List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
creates a different problem of twice as many kids trying to be drafted next year (unless you are proposing to move it to 19 permanently in which case that is a different set of issues) also how does say an Adelaide improve if they can't bring in young talent for a season?

Permanently.

Bad year for Adelaide. Give them access to mature agers.

Maybe just have a first round to ease the transition.

Also move the draft order to factor in the last 3 seasons. To avoid teams getting good picks for just one bad year.

Permanently.

Bad year for Adelaide. Give them access to mature agers.

Maybe just have a first round to ease the transition.

Also move the draft order to factor in the last 3 seasons. To avoid teams getting good picks for just one bad year.
Talk on the draft board it will be just two rounds, with clubs who only have late picks to select at the end.

Clubs with unfilled list spots can invite kids to train with them, with a view to signing them during the ssp.

The NAB League and National Championships will be moving to an U19 competition as of next year.

However, 18 year old kids can still be drafted.

No word yet on list numbers or reduction to the salary cap.

A positive thing is that our recruiters have shown the willingness to back in their assessments of players from their underage year in past drafts.

Forgive me for thinking about Longer and Leuenberger as soon as a read that.
I think I'm too scarred by the past. :(
Agree, drafting rucks with high picks is a waste. Spaanderman, Wood, Longer, Leuenberger... our history is not good. Personally I would not waste a third rounder on a ruckman. Considering what we could have drafted in their place. Look for Oscar types in the lower leagues and develop them Much better option.

Interesting that last year before the draft, Conole mentioned in a Roar Deal episode, that we might look to draft a young ruck or KPF in the following years (2020) draft.

Interesting that last year before the draft, Conole mentioned in a Roar Deal episode, that we might look to draft a young ruck or KPF in the following years (2020) draft.
Did he? They must rate those types of players in this draft in comparison to last years then. Time will tell. Can not believe we have to wait December, like almost a whole few weeks later!

Interesting stat to think about:

Both Tom Hawkins & Josh Kennedy took 6 years to reach the 100 goal mark. Hippy did it last year in less than 4 years. By the time he's finished his 6th season (2022), he will only be 24 years old and still a few years off reaching his peak if you take what most key forwards have done in their careers. Do we need another KPF or do we show faith & continue developing the talent we have now?
Alternatively, we try to bring in someone already established like Jeremy Cameron (who would cost us a minimum of double what Hippy's on) and risk our young/home grown up & comers looking elsewhere once they become free agents?

Interesting stat to think about:

Both Tom Hawkins & Josh Kennedy took 6 years to reach the 100 goal mark. Hippy did it last year in less than 4 years. By the time he's finished his 6th season (2022), he will only be 24 years old and still a few years off reaching his peak if you take what most key forwards have done in their careers. Do we need another KPF or do we show faith & continue developing the talent we have now?
Alternatively, we try to bring in someone already established like Jeremy Cameron (who would cost us a minimum of double what Hippy's on) and risk our young/home grown up & comers looking elsewhere once they become free agents?
This might sound strange after what I've said previously but I believe Ballenden has some hope of becoming the gun leading accurate kicking forward everyone seems to crave.

He's got all the tools and kicks like a mule. He needs to build up in the gym and from somewhere develop some mongrel and thirst for the contest in his game. The first can be worked on ,the second and third has to come from within.

This might sound strange after what I've said previously but I believe Ballenden has some hope of becoming the gun leading accurate kicking forward everyone seems to crave.

He's got all the tools and kicks like a mule. He needs to build up in the gym and from somewhere develop some mongrel and thirst for the contest in his game. The first can be worked on ,the second and third has to come from within.

In the end though right now all he is, is an accurate kick. He's slow, can't use his body, doesn't offer anything at ground level.

Has a very long way to go.

In the end though right now all he is, is an accurate kick. He's slow, can't use his body, doesn't offer anything at ground level.

Has a very long way to go.
Yeah I'm not overwrapping him . But he's worth putting the time in to over the next couple of pre seasons.

If we have no trade options.

Acknowledging the limited body of work of each, I have more hope for Ballenden than I do Skinner. I think if Ballenden had Skinnier’s aggression he’d be a lot more impressive.

yep, that 55m kick was a monster. It cleared the goal post at a comfortable height too. Hope we just pump games into Ballenden this year and see what happens with another pre-season. Something more to work with compared to Archie.

Agree, drafting rucks with high picks is a waste. Spaanderman, Wood, Longer, Leuenberger... our history is not good. Personally I would not waste a third rounder on a ruckman. Considering what we could have drafted in their place. Look for Oscar types in the lower leagues and develop them Much better option.

I thought Spaanderman was a forward?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions academy got towelled up by the Suns academy, think it was 79 to 26.

Not a lot of standout performances from my brief watching of the second quarter.

We have a tall defender, Brisky, who took some nice intercept marks.

Coleman had a nice moment, beating 3 defenders on the wing, knocking the
ball forward to beat them, then gathering the bouncing ball and kicking a running goal from just inside the 50.

Abberley looked ok playing on the left wing. Either kicking short to a team mate, or down the line to advantage. I didn’t see any long kicks from him, during the quarter I watched.

No one else from the Lions stood out for me.

Lions academy got towelled up by the Suns academy, think it was 79 to 26.

Not a lot of standout performances from my brief watching of the second quarter.

We have a tall defender, Brisky, who took some nice intercept marks.

Coleman had a nice moment, beating 3 defenders on the wing, knocking the
ball forward to beat them, then gathering the bouncing ball and kicking a running goal from just inside the 50.

Abberley looked ok playing on the left wing. Either kicking short to a team mate, or down the line to advantage. I didn’t see any long kicks from him, during the quarter I watched.

No one else from the Lions stood out for me.
Doesn't sound great for Michael and Crozier and their chances of getting drafted.

Doesn't sound great for Michael and Crozier and their chances of getting drafted.
From brief discussions I’ve had about the game, Abberley was probably our best on ground.

Hard day for Blake Coleman up forward, with very little delivery.

Our top 18 year olds will be able to come back as 19 year old academy prospects if they choose, as the the National Championships will be moving to a U19’s competition.

The best 18 year olds will still get drafted, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see about a third of the draft pool be 19 year olds in the future.

From brief discussions I’ve had about the game, Abberley was probably our best on ground.

Caught Abberley playing in the QAFL two weekends back. I could see him fitting into an AFL environment. Tidy by foot, smart and works hard. From the little I've heard he and Coleman appear to be the best of a (TBH) mediocre bunch. I'm not sure exactly what's happening with lists next year, but if the numbers drop from ~45 to ~40. I'm not seeing much hope for these kids to end up on an AFL list in the short term. Bad time to be a young player really.

Caught Abberley playing in the QAFL two weekends back. I could see him fitting into an AFL environment. Tidy by foot, smart and works hard. From the little I've heard he and Coleman appear to be the best of a (TBH) mediocre bunch. I'm not sure exactly what's happening with lists next year, but if the numbers drop from ~45 to ~40. I'm not seeing much hope for these kids to end up on an AFL list in the short term. Bad time to be a young player really.
That pretty much aligns with my thinking.

Hopefully they come back as academy 19 year olds, and get a good run in our reserves team next season.

If next season is compromised due to COVID-19, the QAFL will be a strong competition again, and the kids should hope to get a chance as a mature age draftee.

I know this is a question too early to ask, but given where Victoria/the country is currently at .....
The draft will probably still be in November sometime and kids usually move interstate within a week of being drafted. But with border restrictions how they currently are could we see a situation where victorian kids drafted to a victorian team can start training with their team but those drafted to interstate clubs can't? And would the AFL bother to somehow make it fair if this scenario was going to happen?

I know this is a question too early to ask, but given where Victoria/the country is currently at .....
The draft will probably still be in November sometime and kids usually move interstate within a week of being drafted. But with border restrictions how they currently are could we see a situation where victorian kids drafted to a victorian team can start training with their team but those drafted to interstate clubs can't? And would the AFL bother to somehow make it fair if this scenario was going to happen?
I believe the draft will be held mid December, and it’s possible the kids won’t join their new clubs until after the Christmas & New Years break.

Reports I’ve read, is that a few of the top Vic prospects have been hitting the gym pretty hard, so I expect some to arrive much more physically ready than we normally see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back