2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is a depth key position player who simply needs to do his best as a warm body by trying to negate an opposition forward. Doesn't need to touch the ball to have a good game.

The other would be required to kick goals or set them up but is so far beyond that at this point in his career he played a full game this season for negative Champion Data points. That's almost an impossible feat since even spoils, tackles and tap ons are worth points.

Different positions, different expectations.

Not sure if you're serious?

Did you happen to see the Hawthorn v Collingwood match back in 2006 where Anthony Rocca kicked 8 goals on Zac Dawson for example?

Generally speaking if a teams defence isn't getting their hands on the ball then the opposition forwards are which doesn't usually end well.

Not to mention the fact that Oscar McDonald is soft as butter and built like a 12 year old schoolgirl as well.

While your right is saying that Gowers has had some bad games (as do most players) we've lost that much firepower and mongrel up forward that hopefully with a change of environment he'd be able to help address.

No issue with you hating on the Gowers suggestion however by saying that and follow up with suggesting McDonald is laughable.

The kid is hopeless and at least Gowers can kick a bloody goal.

Not sure if you're serious?

Did you happen to see the Hawthorn v Collingwood match back in 2006 where Anthony Rocca kicked 8 goals on Zac Dawson for example?

Generally speaking if a teams defence isn't getting their hands on the ball then the opposition forwards are which doesn't usually end well.

Not to mention the fact that Oscar McDonald is soft as butter and built like a 12 year old schoolgirl as well.

While your right is saying that Gowers has had some bad games (as do most players) we've lost that much firepower and mongrel up forward that hopefully with a change of environment he'd be able to help address.

No issue with you hating on the Gowers suggestion however by saying that and follow up with suggesting McDonald is laughable.

The kid is hopeless and at least Gowers can kick a bloody goal.

Different era as well though. We wouldn't be expecting Omac to play one out on Tom Hawkins. Team defence is also of far greater importance now than when Dawson was first starting. Those scenarios don't really happen anymore.

If injury befell Hartigan and Hartley we'd be playing McEvoy, Frost or Kosi as our number 1 defender. Any assistance down there is appreciated IMO.

In saying that I think Carlton and the Dogs are a better fit for Oscar than us.

Different era as well though. We wouldn't be expecting Omac to play one out on Tom Hawkins. Team defence is also of far greater importance now than when Dawson was first starting. Those scenarios don't really happen anymore.

If injury befell Hartigan and Hartley we'd be playing McEvoy, Frost or Kosi as our number 1 defender. Any assistance down there is appreciated IMO.

In saying that I think Carlton and the Dogs are a better fit for Oscar than us.

How's that even relevant?

I'll put it this way, Oscar McDonald would make Tim O'Brien look like Peter Knights 😂

I'll put it this way, Oscar McDonald would make Tim O'Brien look like Peter Knights 😂
Tim's best games (all v Melbourne) are a lot better than Oscars's best games

You used the Dawson vs Rocca example. I used a modern equivalent and explained why that isn't such a concern in modern footy.

If we have defenders go down with injury our depth stocks are in trouble with Sicily out for the season.

Regardless, there is a chance we draft DGB and that covers us anyway.

I'm not personally advocating picking up MacDonald. However I'll completely understand the rationale if we do.

I can't see any reason to pick up Gowers though.

True but we have brought in Morris who so far has shown a tiny bit of X factor we desperately need. If he keeps progressing we could have a really handy small forward for the next ten years plus. Haven’t given up on Hanrahan either, didn’t realise that he is really really quick. Again if it all clicks for him, we may have a real player on our hands

Expect we have 2-3 small forwards identified in this years draft/delisted free agents, we just need to be patient
It's probably time to move Hardwick forward. He was recruited as a forward after kicking 60 goals in the NAB. We have a direct replacement for Hardwick in Greaves, who is a similar size, approaches the game in the same tough manner as Hardwick and like Hardwick is an excellent kick. I'd love to see what Hardwick could do down forward.

It's probably time to move Hardwick forward. He was recruited as a forward after kicking 60 goals in the NAB. We have a direct replacement for Hardwick in Greaves, who is a similar size, approaches the game in the same tough manner as Hardwick and like Hardwick is an excellent kick. I'd love to see what Hardwick could do down forward.
Hardwick was disappointing this year. Worth a crack up forward I think.

Still think he's our best small defender.

Thought as an U/18 forward he was a leading forward, not your traditional pressure small that we're lacking.

He's definitely our best small defender despite a down season - quite a few of his teammates are guilty of that also and I'd back him to bounce back.

That's correct, in the U/18's he was a lead up forward and bloody good at it.

He kicked multiple big bags of snags and I'm pretty sure he was the leading goal kicker in his draft year.

Don't forget he ripped a pectorial early doors and would suggest that he came back a fair bit under done.
Nobody ever thinks they are going to rip a pec so getting your head around it not happening again only comes from going through the motions.
Would suggest it took a little time to get his mojo back.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not creative enough as a forward, and lacks flair. He’s a real meat and potatoes small defender for mine, but he’s usually super reliable and he needs a big 2021.

He’s not creative enough as a forward, and lacks flair. He’s a real meat and potatoes small defender for mine, but he’s usually super reliable and he needs a big 2021.
How do we know what he's like he's like up forward he's always been stuck in the backline. Lets see what he's got and then decide. We really need someone kicking goals.

How do we know what he's like he's like up forward he's always been stuck in the backline. Lets see what he's got and then decide. We really need someone kicking goals.
He went forward this year and didn’t exactly light it up.

regardless of position players move the same way...he is a typical straight line simple mover. If he went forward it would be as a straight line lead and mark option only. Probably not a great one considering that position is basically obsolete for even the big key forwards. He doesn’t have the agility or power to be a pressure forward, nor a midfielder.

Isn't he played in defence because he was ineffective as a forward at VFL?

And he's been very effective in defence.

He isn't agile, dynamic or fast enough as a forward IMO.

He can be a good/very good BP for the next 8-10 years though.

Isn't he played in defence because he was ineffective as a forward at VFL?

And he's been very effective in defence.

He isn't agile, dynamic or fast enough as a forward IMO.

He can be a good/very good BP for the next 8-10 years though.
Yeah this board just wants to turn every defender in to a mid forward.

Same thing with Sicily, average at best AFL footy and an elite defender yet people are always wanting to throw him forward.

Same thing with Sicily, average at best AFL footy and an elite defender yet people are always wanting to throw him forward.
To be fair, he has had some success forward.
He can definately kick goals.

Yeah this board just wants to turn every defender in to a mid forward.

If any of our BP players have the physical attributes to play pressure forward then it's Frost.

Doesn't mean he could though as physical attributes don't directly translate to onfield performance... but I'd much rather see Frost in a FP than Hardwick.

*don't want this to happen of course, because we need him as BP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back