List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say it is a part of that.

Well if your backline relies on Whitfield how bad are the kickers from your backline? Furthermore Whitfield cannot present as an option from the wing using his spread because he is kicking out and sometimes ineffective because the options are limited no matter how go a kick he may be. How does that help your transition especially when other players are always looking for Whitfield and not utilised the other players more effectively? This drags forward options further into defence as well. Then there is Williams trying to do a shake and bake which gets the ball out but it comes back in and causes a goal.

Frankly I thought a proper defensive set-up could have caused Melbourne to kick less than 30 points on the weekend at least using proper defensive techniques and tactics with more capability at hand. Apart from Petracca its not like a lot of brillance created the goals for Melbourne

Last edited:
Frankly I thought a proper defensive set-up could have caused Melbourne to kick less than 30 points on the weekend at least using proper defensive techniques and tactics
What are those defensive techniques and tactics?

List changes

Corr FA
Mumford Retire (Reserves Assistant + Ruck coach)
Reid Retire (Reserves player assistant)
Shaw Plays on
Buntine base contract only if he accepts
Sheridan Delist, on the injury list too much and his body is not up to it
Langdon base contract only if he accepts
TOJ Trade as he will get a big contract from someone and if he nets a early 2nd rounder I would accept that is if he wants to leave

If Kelly leaves it should be 2 high 1st rounders and then if the 3 2nd year players in Caldwell, Hately and X leave it should be either 2 late 1sts of some upgrades

I can see the club following the pattern of the last few years to try to move up to the targets they have and i havent seen much of the talk on draft prospects this year but i think a key defender is the #1 priority with Corr leaving and also Davis/Keefe aging and then depending on the players leaving outside run and class as I think the inside mids are ok they are just struggling this year and if that is the onfield mix/coaching

2021 potential teams

Cumming Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Perryman
Kelly Ward Whitfield
Greene Cameron Taranto
Hill HH Daniels
Flynn/Briggs/Jacobs Coniglio Hopper
Riccardi Ash Green MDB/Kennedy/Lloyd

Ruck and the last bench spot are unclear and will depend on form and off season changes but I think it highlights the need for 2 players in a developing HBF and tall defender (Buckley could be an option) and I can see Green and Ash being key players next year

Reserves
Plenty of ?? but down to where we are in the season and i can see 4-6 contracts for reserves players to match how the VFL clubs are set up and it could see some of the ex academy players come back to the club for the opportunity with the NEFL disbanded they may see an opportunity to push for a list spot

Idun Stein Buntine
Shipley Buckley ??
?? ?? ??
Hutchesson Sproule
Brown ?? ??
Flynn/Briggs/Jacobs Reid Langdon
?? ?? ?? ??

Keele won't win you a grand final but he won't cost you one either.

He’s a squad player and should only appear if there are injuries (which is currently the case.

He’s got a good strong frame but he is terrible below knees and lacks agility, awareness and composure at key moments. If there is a young player you are trying to develop he probably shouldn’t be stealing games off him.

How he got a 2 year contract is beyond me, bloke’s like him Reid, Lloyd, Stein, Sheridan, and moving forward Hutchesson should be on 1 year rolling incentive based deals. This keeps the cap manageable and the player always hungry.

Corr FA
Reid Retire (Reserves player assistant)
Shaw Plays on
Buntine base contract only if he accepts
TOJ Trade as he will get a big contract from someone and if he nets a early 2nd rounder
I don't think Shaw should play on. Cumming needs to be blooded into his spot and play every week. If Shaw stays conservative Leon will keep picking him - nothing surer.

Not sure if anyone's likely to offer Finlayson a contract let alone a big one.

Shame to see Corr go as he's been a very good player. Very quick closing speed and can play tall or short.

You have to lose some players however and the time was probably right for him to come back to Vic.

At least he's had a good grounding this year dealing with incessant opposition F50 entries as he'll be calling on that skill with us!

How he got a 2 year contract is beyond me, bloke’s like him Reid, Lloyd, Stein, Sheridan, and moving forward Hutchesson should be on 1 year rolling incentive based deals. This keeps the cap manageable and the player always hungry.
Keeffe would have to be on pretty close to the minimum so cap impact would be negligible regardless of contract length. Agree with the rest - he's a respectable fill-in but having to play him every week due to injuries is not ideal.

What are those defensive techniques and tactics?

Well for starters no shake and bake from deep in the backline like from Williams no matter how good an evader you think you are. Shaw does not punch the ball causing Rivers to end up with it and kick the sealer. The defender marks the ball if he gets to hands on it. Don't kick to nowhere from the backline, actually have players that present options even if short and more flank use from deep back.

Where is Reid and Kennedy providing shorter options to the kick outs?? I noticed Kennedy has a habit of kicking balls of the side of the boot out of bounds.

It helps if Mumford does not give away free kicks even if accidental

Well for starters no shake and bake from deep in the backline like from Williams no matter how good an evader you think you are. Shaw does not punch the ball causing Rivers to end up with it and kick the sealer. The defender marks the ball if he gets to hands on it. Don't kick to nowhere from the backline, actually have players that present options even if short and more flank use from deep back.

Where is Reid and Kennedy providing shorter options to the kick outs?? I noticed Kennedy has a habit of kicking balls of the side of the boot out of bounds
You've repeated essentially everything you've already said, only two of those suggestions are actually any use as a fundamental change, individual instances aren't

You've repeated essentially everything you've already said, only two of those suggestions are actually any use as a fundamental change, individual instances aren't

Some of your players are not good enough/ready making your defence too weak. Looked at the first minute of the game, Kennedy went over the ball failing to pick it up, Idun, did the same.

In the first minute Whitfield kicks out after the first point with Toby Greene presenting. Why? Anybody could do that. Why waste Whitfield? Why kick to Toby when he has no size advantage and why off centre instead of wider to protect your defence?

Within two minutes Hopper attempts a virtually impossible kick on the boundary that is out on the full, free kick causes a goal. Totally unnecessary and not defensively astute.

Even Richo on commentary in retrospect said it was an interesting decision by Hopper to kick the football there

Last edited:
Some of your players are not good enough/ready making your defence too weak. Looked at the first minute of the game, Kennedy went over the ball failing to pick it up, Idun, did the same
It's like talking to a brick wall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's like talking to a brick wall

Tell me something when Spargo kicked their third goal why was he so free? Even Neal Bullen took an uncontested mark before causing their second goal. It happens, dam bursts GWS overrun but Idun playing second game, Buckley first clearly defensive cohesion and system not a high priority?

I would argue Pickett taking the mark on Kennedy first quarter was too easy.

The next goal by Hunt, was a bit of fall of ball but Lloyd it looks like was nearby and Hunt did not have enough pressure on him especially when about to snap. More defensive urgency could have been shown. The commentators said the spoil towards the middle was not ideal and a few players seemed to follow the contest where the ball was punched rather than setting up in defensive positions nearby to protect goal scoring from the opposition.

Haynes should have marked the ball but it was a good goal from Petracca and really just too good from him. Not sure what the free kick was for before hand.

Haynes kick to Williams after the Shaw kick out was not on. William is not strong enough aerially for that type of pressure and Haynes not good enough kick. Really it was a bad option and if no option go long up the boundary is more prudent. That point from Melbourne never should have resulted from that. No need to go so central so deep in defence. Even Richo in commentary with Ling said that option from Haynes too risky there.

Baker kicks the next one in a fall of the ball but in the build up Jetta spins out of a lloyd attempted tackle which ideally needed to be made really while the ball seemed to slip pass Shaw and Reid in terms of possible opportunities to change the play. Even Kelly was possibly pushed off the ball a little to easily instead of ensuring its kept under control near the boundary.

The next goal by Pickett you can't blame anyone except the system. Idun is out manned. Keefe turned it over but there was no defensive set-up/protection so when it escaped the GWS forwardline GWS did not have enough defensive mechanisms in place meaning the set-up virtually gave Melbourne a goal through pure numbers by having too many GWS players too forward. Melbourne was allowed too many number in too much space for the GWS player or two too defend.

That was the first 46 points by Melbourne in the first half. The final point came from a Williams errant handball turnover, not under pressure, but drawing the comment from Ling what was Zac Williams thinking?

Looking at the second half there is the goal from Mumford's accidental free kick against, two out of the bounds kicks from Kennedy where one results in a point.

The next goal from Salem was not a bad kick from him, nothing really out of the ordinary although handball to Mumford might not have been the best option but can't stop everything.

Next goal from Spargo in front from quick kick from Salem out of a ruck pack scenario, not a lot can be done there.

The next goal by Fritsch was after Williams did his shake and bake deep in the backline. He got away with the shake and bake but the kick resulted in a chaos ball which was a little more central arguably than desired with Gawn handballing that eventuates into the kick to Fritsch. Ideally one would want the exit ball wider allowing better defensive set-up preventing rebound goals.

The next point, Ling comments in the lead up before Pickett's mark, Giants very slow to defend this side of the ground and Melbourne moved it from back half to Pickett with relatively not a great deal of resistance!! After the point the commentary goes back and states look how open this side of the ground is when Melbourne do the switch in defence in the lead up to Pickett on the receiving end.

The last goal was on the end of another switch to the same side from Melbournes defence again with commentators commentating on Langdon's hard running, kick comes into Melbournes forward line, Shaw punches it, Rivers picks it up and kicks a goal. Shaw was off balance but the GWS should have defended the Melbourne thrust better. Ling said brought out ball this side of the ground too easily and Giants not able to defend it. That is the final winning score for Melbourne

Last edited:
Shame to see Corr go as he's been a very good player. Very quick closing speed and can play tall or short.

You have to lose some players however and the time was probably right for him to come back to Vic.

At least he's had a good grounding this year dealing with incessant opposition F50 entries as he'll be calling on that skill with us!

Never ever rated Corr and not at all concerned with him going. 5 years!! sheesh.

Shaw might end up at your mob for a year to help develop the young team. He hasn’t been as good as usual but he’s not been our worst either.

With the likely list reductions, soft cap (Coaching) and the change to the reserves format and it is my opinion but I can see a move to have some experienced heads on the list in a on fieild coaching capacity for example Shaw and Buntine in the backline, Reid and Jacobs in the mids as I think this would help the younger listed players develop but also the academy players who are filling in
If they are on the list or still involved in the club I think it would be a good move but it will likely come down to the soft cap

And here it is people, what I’ve been bleating about for years. The conspiracy theories end now.

SOS the great pretender.

And here it is people, what I’ve been bleating about for years. The conspiracy theories end now.

SOS the great pretender.
I've never been a fan of SOS's selection s, but wasn't prepared to smash him on any particular selection or non selection until right now. The head coach and assistant coach, who happened to be Sheedy and Choc Williams told him to pick a player, to not only ignore them and furthermore put them in their place as not involved, if you than get that wrong, well that is bad.

I've never been a fan of SOS's selection s, but wasn't prepared to smash him on any particular selection or non selection until right now. The head coach and assistant coach, who happened to be Sheedy and Choc Williams told him to pick a player, to not only ignore them and furthermore put them in their place as not involved, if you than get that wrong, well that is bad.

Mate, I follow the draft very closely and that year all the recruiting pundits rated Grundy in the top 3 players of that draft.

Within recruiting circles there was genuine surprise he slipped as low as he did and absolute shock we didn’t use one of our 5 top 20 selections on him particularly when we had not taken a top ruck the previous year.

In my mind it’s actually the greatest recruiting stuff up in history, eclipsing Tambling over Franklin.

SOS liked his own work so much he picked half of them again for Carlton...
He did pretty well in building a team but I'm happy with the current recruiters.

Mate, I follow the draft very closely and that year all the recruiting pundits rated Grundy in the top 3 players of that draft.

Within recruiting circles there was genuine surprise he slipped as low as he did and absolute shock we didn’t use one of our 5 top 20 selections on him particularly when we had not taken a top ruck the previous year.

In my mind it’s actually the greatest recruiting stuff up in history, eclipsing Tambling over Franklin.
It's definitely a recruitment error, especially in hindsight. My point was even the best recruitment guys are going to miss rate guys, think others are better and get it wrong..it is that sort of gig. I've worked in talent identification in both rugby codes. Everyone is going to pass on someone they shouldn't have and vice versa. So wasn't prepared to criticize him too hard for missing one he should have made.
This further information changes that.
Also I think.he got way too many wrong.

Except nearly every club passed on him.

He did pretty well in building a team but I'm happy with the current recruiters.
I dug up the stats a while back, and he really didn't. Note to methodology - I consider a "hit" where we got the benefit of the player's prime, so Corr is a hit. Adams is not.

He didn't pick the 17 year olds, which had a very good strike rate compared to GC.

He had part of picking that first draft, but a lot of the work was also done by someone who left beforehand (can't remember his name now). It had a pretty good strike rate, even discarding guys like Adams (left immediately) or Sumner (complete bust).

The next few drafts, until he left, were very poor. Two hits from six top 30 picks. Two hits from four top 30 picks. One from five top 25 picks (Steele left after SOS departed so I'll give him credit for that). Top 30 picks shouldn't necessarily be sure things, but you should be around a 75% strike rate of at least contributors. SOS went at 33%, with all time busts like O'Rourke, Pickett and Jaksch to his name.

He didn't pick the 17 year olds, which had a very good strike rate compared to GC.

He had part of picking that first draft, but a lot of the work was also done by someone who left beforehand (can't remember his name now).

Neville Stibbard - who also recruited for North Melbourne during their halcyon period of the 1990’s and also worked at the Western Bulldogs with success

Remove this Banner Ad

Back