List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Primary list is said to be down to 37 for next year and at the moment we have signed up 32 including Hogan and Preuss but might be 33 if Lloyd has re-signed but hasn't been announced. So its between 4-5 we can add on the primary list depending on what happens with Lloyd.

Also certainly think we can get as high as pick 2 in the draft given that pick 10 and 13 is of equal points value and by reports North Melbourne are open to a trade.

id take another pick 2

we have done well with that pick to date.

Adelaide love Thilthorpe, I think McDonald will be available at Pick 2.

Just quietly Thilthorpe is a super talent as well, has injury this year but fully fit is outstanding. If we took him we would have Adelaide riding us all the way. Hollands is a talent but has had an ACL, I worry about that, it’s a significant risk.

Minimum is 37 and maximum 44

Primary list is said to be down to 37 for next year and at the moment we have signed up 32 including Hogan and Preuss but might be 33 if Lloyd has re-signed but hasn't been announced. So its between 4-5 we can add on the primary list depending on what happens with Lloyd.

Also certainly think we can get as high as pick 2 in the draft given that pick 10 and 13 is of equal points value and by reports North Melbourne are open to a trade.

Minimum is 37 and maximum 44
The 44 is the total of main list, rookie A & rookie B. I suspect similar to this year when the main list was 38-40 and rookie A was 4-6, with a total maximum of 42, then next year may be 37-38 main list plus 4-5 rookie A to a total of 42 plus 2 rookie B.

I assume that we'll eventually re-sign Dan Lloyd, at worst as a rookie A, just biding our time until list size and $ are finalised. So, I still expect we'll go 5 picks to get to 38 including Lloyd, although if we trade up using two existing picks for one, then there's still potential for a DFA, or to pick up a rookie (though that's less likely).

The 44 is the total of main list, rookie A & rookie B. I suspect similar to this year when the main list was 38-40 and rookie A was 4-6, with a total maximum of 42, then next year may be 37-38 main list plus 4-5 rookie A to a total of 42 plus 2 rookie B.

I assume that we'll eventually re-sign Dan Lloyd, at worst as a rookie A, just biding our time until list size and $ are finalised. So, I still expect we'll go 5 picks to get to 38 including Lloyd, although if we trade up using two existing picks for one, then there's still potential for a DFA, or to pick up a rookie (though that's less likely).

Things might come a bit more clear with the first list lodgment meant to be on the 20th.

Adelaide love Thilthorpe, I think McDonald will be available at Pick 2.

Just quietly Thilthorpe is a super talent as well, has injury this year but fully fit is outstanding. If we took him we would have Adelaide riding us all the way. Hollands is a talent but has had an ACL, I worry about that, it’s a significant risk.
There's strong rumours that Thilthorpe "groin" issue is an OP problem, wouldn't touch that with a 10nft pole, at least an ACL injury has pretty simple rehab and strengthening programs.
If we're moving top 4, I want McDonald or DGB, but DGB particularly fits our list needs, would be ecstatic if we got him.

My thoughts on the trade period although I am extremely disappointed in Cameron seeking a trade it is his right although it does highlight the ongoing problem the club is having in terms of retaining players and i would have liked a more from the Caldwell trade and also the club should have at least accepted something for Hately instead of nothing
Preuss and Hogan in address the needs the club has and it will be interesting to see how they turn out and hopefully the forward line clicks, what hogan should do is draw the best defender meaning TOJ and Riccardi can work on the match up they have to their advantage
I see the needs for the Draft as a tall defender and also a pacy winger/HB so hopefully the club sees similar needs and it will be interesting to see when the club moves up the draft order and I am sure discussions have already happened to see which clubs would be interested in splitting a top 10 pick as I cant see any of the good talls lasting past that. like others I think Chapman fits the club so depending on the interviews he could be the clubs priority target and not sure on running players but I am sure the articles coming will show which are the better options
No contested inside mids!!

This is such a good point, and why it pays to negotiate 'firmly but fairly' at the trade table. In future if you guys want one of our players or we want one of yours, or we even want to engage in pick swaps or three way trades to help each other, there isn't animosity or a past grudge brought into the mix as well.

The polar difference between our negotiations with you guys and your negotiations with Essendon and Adelaide, shows why those two clubs have been involved in two of the biggest scandals in recent times, and why we're never in those sort of conversations.

They may have 'won' the trade this time, but they've both just pissed off a trading partner who will go much harder next time.

Absolute definition of not 'seeing the forest for the trees'
Yeah that’s true. And as the dust settles for the Cameron trade both parties probably feel a little hurt that they have too much which is probably how we should feel if it’s a fair trade.
Agree that trade in the future between the two clubs still look healthy

I don’t get the interest in McDonald. With Caldwell walking out the door because of opportunity surely we learn our lesson to take into account list makeup when drafting. We take another key forward that makes 5 on the list doesn’t it? And McDonald will be chased hard by WA teams looking to trade in home grown talent under pressure for games. It’s not a knock on McDonald, it’s a list make up thing. Let’s take the best rebounding key back and play them round 1

I don’t get the interest in McDonald. With Caldwell walking out the door because of opportunity surely we learn our lesson to take into account list makeup when drafting. We take another key forward that makes 5 on the list doesn’t it? And McDonald will be chased hard by WA teams looking to trade in home grown talent under pressure for games. It’s not a knock on McDonald, it’s a list make up thing. Let’s take the best rebounding key back and play them round 1
I'd be confident enough in McDonald being one of our Top 2 KPFs, depending on how you rate Himmelberg, but he's the right combination of contested marking and lead up forward that he'd fit into our system really well. I assume we play 3 KPFs again next year, I'd have Hogan, Riccardi and McDonald starting, maybe throw HH into the back line and Dorsal as EMG, that'd be a high work rate forward line which has been one of my bigger criticisms of our talls, but as I said before the better pick up for us is very clearly DGB, him and Taylor would compliment each other really well in the future, and on the off chance we got Heath Chapman as well we could have an all WA KPD setup in the future :hearteyes:

I'd be confident enough in McDonald being one of our Top 2 KPFs, depending on how you rate Himmelberg, but he's the right combination of contested marking and lead up forward that he'd fit into our system really well. I assume we play 3 KPFs again next year, I'd have Hogan, Riccardi and McDonald starting, maybe throw HH into the back line and Dorsal as EMG, that'd be a high work rate forward line which has been one of my bigger criticisms of our talls, but as I said before the better pick up for us is very clearly DGB, him and Taylor would compliment each other really well in the future, and on the off chance we got Heath Chapman as well we could have an all WA KPD setup in the future :hearteyes:
Yea I am not disputing the talent of the kid. Im just pointing out we have a greater need down back. I don't think we signed up TOJ to play as depth, I think he is seen as best 22. A lot of talk about someone moving to the backline. HH seems to have the most mobility and can do a job. TOJ has such a wasted field kick in that forward line... I would love him taking kick ins again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I think we all agree we are going to the draft but are trading up either before we get there or on drat night...

What picks are gettable and what do we need to give to move up. I think all of Nth Melb, swans and maybe even Hawthorne would all be happy to split their top pick for two inside 15. All need to replenish top talent imo.

Ok I think we all agree we are going to the draft but are trading up either before we get there or on drat night...

What picks are gettable and what do we need to give to move up. I think all of Nth Melb, swans and maybe even Hawthorne would all be happy to split their top pick for two inside 15. All need to replenish top talent imo.
Sydney won't, they'll have Campbell bid on around 6/7 So those firsts we trade to them would be eaten up matching that. North will have pies offering both this year's two and next tears first for Pick 2 if McDonald is available, bombers probably offer two of their top 10 picks as well if McDonald is there. Hawks I could see happening, but I don't think even our earliest 2 picks get it done, we'd have to throw in something else, at that point im not sure it's worth it assuming that Thilthorpe, McDonald and DGB are gone, Holland's is very good granted, but I'd rather us take a crack at getting 3 guys like O'Driscoll, Chapman, Carroll, Ford, Reid, Cox, even Poulter, Macrae and Perkins (Even tho I personally rate them a little lower), hit more needs with some really talented guys

Sydney won't, they'll have Campbell bid on around 6/7 So those firsts we trade to them would be eaten up matching that. North will have pies offering both this year's two and next tears first for Pick 2 if McDonald is available, bombers probably offer two of their top 10 picks as well if McDonald is there. Hawks I could see happening, but I don't think even our earliest 2 picks get it done, we'd have to throw in something else, at that point im not sure it's worth it assuming that Thilthorpe, McDonald and DGB are gone, Holland's is very good granted, but I'd rather us take a crack at getting 3 guys like O'Driscoll, Chapman, Carroll, Ford, Reid, Cox, even Poulter, Macrae and Perkins (Even tho I personally rate them a little lower), hit more needs with some really talented guys
I agree

Grainger-Barras looks a perfect Phil replacement, spends 2 years as understudy and takes the role full time. The question is how high do we need to trade up to get him. Pick 2 seems a fraction high. Happy to go with another speculative fwd like Riccardi. A top 10 pick in that role won't get games. We have 3 key fwds under 25 and should look to retain them all, they have all shown they are good enough. I'm expecting Briggs will be able to pinch hit as a fwd if need be as well.

Grainger-Barras looks a perfect Phil replacement, spends 2 years as understudy and takes the role full time. The question is how high do we need to trade up to get him. Pick 2 seems a fraction high. Happy to go with another speculative fwd like Riccardi. A top 10 pick in that role won't get games. We have 3 key fwds under 25 and should look to retain them all, they have all shown they are good enough. I'm expecting Briggs will be able to pinch hit as a fwd if need be as well.
Stop picking first rounders that leave because they don't want to do 2 years development in the now VFL.

Stop picking first rounders that leave because they don't want to do 2 years development in the now VFL.
Or pick first rounders who meet our needs and give them a fair chance to prove themselves from the first year. Ash and Green were good examples this year.
I understand why the 2 boys who took off this year, after their initial 2 years, might have felt there was no pathway to be regular players in 2020. Who were they going to replace in the team?
All the money the Bombers offered Jai wouldn’t have hurt him making his decision.

Or pick first rounders who meet our needs and give them a fair chance to prove themselves from the first year. Ash and Green were good examples this year.
I understand why the 2 boys who took off this year, after their initial 2 years, might have felt there was no pathway to be regular players in 2020. Who were they going to replace in the team?
All the money the Bombers offered Jai wouldn’t have hurt him making his decision.
Agree.

So if that's the case what are our immediate needs where we can draft and then plug and play?

I feel like we are already well balanced. Do we go to draft to go for KPP who know they have to develop in the 2s?

Speaking of which where are Flynn and Briggs up to. Surely if they are up for it they get to see a game or 2 this year. They've spent 2-4 years being bashed by Mummy at training. Surely they are ready for a look at senior level if they are up for it?

Agree.

So if that's the case what are our immediate needs where we can draft and then plug and play?

I feel like we are already well balanced. Do we go to draft to go for KPP who know they have to develop in the 2s?

Speaking of which where are Flynn and Briggs up to. Surely if they are up for it they get to see a game or 2 this year. They've spent 2-4 years being bashed by Mummy at training. Surely they are ready for a look at senior level if they are up for it?
Yeah I think they probably play games this year. I think there will be opportunities at that third tall/ruck role that they might fill.

I think there is probably only one position of backman taking third defender that we can afford to havea new draftee having. I doubt a mid/winger type pushes for regular games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back