List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Rance wanted to walk away a few years ago to devote time to his faith and family and was persuaded to remain. Since then he managed to achieve the ultimate in our sport by winning a premiership, so there is no reason for him to return to achieve anything. He has also had his marriage fall apart and as he mentioned in his announcement he wanted to devote more time to his family and faith, he isn't going to just take a few months off and then turn his back on that especially if he manages to get his marriage back together as it would pretty much show Georgia and the church that his words mean nothing. IMO it's best to let Rance ride off into the sunset and look towards the future without him being part of it.

This is the same thinking I had just over a week ago when hearing of the separation. It's unrealistic, and nearly impossible for him to return to football. I say nearly, because the narrative surrounding it will need to be quite well thought through for his personal life to prosper with it. That said, I know a few footy playing mates who were JW's who have walked away once they re-assessed their faith through a new lens!

Because Rance said so, hence his 'retirement' announcement.

players can 'un retire'

like michael jordan

he is a richmond listed player, he can play again if he wants

This is the same thinking I had just over a week ago when hearing of the separation. It's unrealistic, and nearly impossible for him to return to football. I say nearly, because the narrative surrounding it will need to be quite well thought through for his personal life to prosper with it. That said, I know a few footy playing mates who were JW's who have walked away once they re-assessed their faith through a new lens!

its realistic he plays again

he can ring dimma and say gday id like to play football. this isnt an impossible scenario

Last edited:

Bit different saying Cotchin saying he'll retire after a flag and Rance who wanted to retire 5 years ago because of religion, actually retiring because he wanted to devote more time to his family and religion

its exactly the same

why do you think cotchin said he might retire? to spend more time with his family (probable)

for the record i dont hold much hope of rance returning but i wouldnt write it off

he can ring dimma and say gday id like to play football. this isnt an impossible scenario

Nice bit if Rock Logic there MP. It's more realistic and much more likely he doesn't given his very own narrative to date.

its exactly the same

why do you think cotchin said he might retire? to spend more time with his family (probable)

for the record i dont hold much hope of rance returning but i wouldnt write it off
No where near the same, Cotchins comments were pretty much off the cuff remarks, whereas Rance had these thoughts for nearly 5 years and finally made the decision to put his faith ahead of his career. Cotchin hasn't even come close to pulling the pin

One of my team-mates when I was paying country footy in my late-20s was the local Baptist minister.
A real eye-opener.
Serious white-line fever and swore like a sailor. Very entertaining.

players can 'un retire'

like michael jordan

he is a richmond listed player, he can play again if he wants

Don't know if you've ever been in a situation where you wife/partner has left you, which has forced you to walk away from your career. But if you were I'm not sure after you managed to salvage your relationship that you would return back to the thing that caused the problems in the first place. More likely than not that you'd accept that it is over and would head off into the sunset with your family happy with the knowledge that you achieved everything you could in your career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my team-mates when I was paying country footy in my late-20s was the local Baptist minister.
A real eye-opener.
Serious white-line fever and swore like a sailor. Very entertaining.

Yeah, in a small league we had a Rev in charge of the Umpires and Judiciary, his message was swift and colourful at times;)

No where near the same, Cotchins comments were pretty much off the cuff remarks, whereas Rance had these thoughts for nearly 5 years and finally made the decision to put his faith ahead of his career. Cotchin hasn't even come close to pulling the pin

'I love footy and I love how it challenges you in some way, every single day. I love trying to help the team any way I can and I love how it helps you meet people and learn all sorts of things you wouldn't have been exposed to,'' Cotchin said. ''But I'm looking forward to it being over as well. I reckon if we won a premiership in the next three years I'd pretty much be done.''

''It was horrible … when I got there it was football, football, football and pretty much from day one I was doubting myself and whether I'd be able to play the game or perform like I wanted to,'' Cotchin said. ''I wasn't able to train like I needed to train, let alone play, so I didn't know if I was going to be physically up to it and the game changed for me then. It made me think, maybe it's not healthy to only be about footy.''

Doesnt sound off the cuff to me. He was speaking to Emma Quayle to it was somewhat calculated imo

6-7 years back now so the its again pretty similar to rance stuff

'I love footy and I love how it challenges you in some way, every single day. I love trying to help the team any way I can and I love how it helps you meet people and learn all sorts of things you wouldn't have been exposed to,'' Cotchin said. ''But I'm looking forward to it being over as well. I reckon if we won a premiership in the next three years I'd pretty much be done.''

''It was horrible … when I got there it was football, football, football and pretty much from day one I was doubting myself and whether I'd be able to play the game or perform like I wanted to,'' Cotchin said. ''I wasn't able to train like I needed to train, let alone play, so I didn't know if I was going to be physically up to it and the game changed for me then. It made me think, maybe it's not healthy to only be about footy.''

Doesnt sound off the cuff to me. He was speaking to Emma Quayle to it was somewhat calculated imo

6-7 years back now so the its again pretty similar to rance stuff
IIRC those comments came during a period when he was going through some injury issues. You'll find a lot of players have those sort of thoughts when faced with constant injuries, since then he signed a 5 year deal a year after that story, then signed yet another deal after that.

As I said there is a difference between why Cotchin had thoughts of an early retirement and why Rance actually retired

Players wanting to retire early are mad imo

you only get upto 15 years max from a playing career but you are retired for the next 30+ years enjoy and make the most of it

2 hours game time
20 hours training and club work
12 weeks holidays
paid s**t load of $$$
Keeping elite fitness

Hard Life

you only get upto 15 years max from a playing career but you are retired for the next 30+ years enjoy and make the most of it

2 hours game time
12 weeks holidays
paid s**t load of $$$
Keeping elite fitness

Hard Life

Seems like a grass is greener situation. We can’t truely know what it’s like unless we’ve walked in their shoes

2 hours game time
12 weeks holidays
paid s**t load of $$$
Keeping elite fitness

Hard Life
Being made to train/play through injuries that most people would take 2-3 weeks off of work for, undergoing multiple operations throughout career putting long term health at risk through degenerative injuries, can lose your job with as little as 1 days notice once your contract ends, even though you've done everything your employer has asked of you that year, people you don't know calling you a squib on social media/chat forums.

Easy life.

And at the same time , They have never walked in the shoes of a true working man and would have no idea what its like to work 8-6 for $200
I recall D.Fletcher being interviewed when he announced his retirement at the age of 40, he said he'd never had a real job! Sure being a player would be tough on the body but they'd really find something to complain about if they were working thier ass off for minimum wage with no pay rise on the horizon. If they are smart with thier $ while playing the higher paid players would never need to work post retirement while in thier early to mid 30's....

Couple of things to point out with your post. There are 18 players remaining from the 2016 list given Rance and Markov remain on the list. 27 players have gone since then but although it was only a bit over 3 years ago that list was active, there have been 4 end of season purges in that time, 2016, 17, 18 & 19.

So we are unloading about 7 per season on average.

For the record....

3 departed as free agents, 3(you would say) Grigg, Maric and Chaplin effectively retired, 5 traded, one terminated(Yarran) and 15 effectively delisted.

Roughly speaking we are delisting 4 per season, losing one to free agency, trading one, and one is retiring or being retired.

In are coming roughly on average 4 draftees from the main draft per year, one traded in or free agent, and 2 rookies of one type or another.
I did this a few times.Gone back to 2012 this time. now i may have missed the odd player but it will be close enough.
Have often argued that all clubs are in constant rebuild and those clubs that stop for any long period of time inevitably end up near the bottom of the ladder.

The average number of players traded, Delisted or retired each yr is around 9.7 per club from 2012-2019. Thats almost a quarter of all clubs lists each yr.

The most a club has turned over in one season in that time is Essendon in 2016, They turned over 22 players. Not surprising that yr 2016 was the highest total of players turned over with 197 averaging 10.9 per club. An interesting side point was they delisted/traded 13 players the yr before so turned over a mammoth 35 players in just two seasons.

The least number of players turned over in a season by any club is 4 but it has only ever dipped below 6 on three or four occasions in that period.
the least number of players traded delisted retired in one yr 2012 - 2019 was 164 averaging 9.1 per club.

It makes for interesting reading especially when the topic is about clubs and rebuilds it seems they are all in perpetual rebuild

I did this a few times.Gone back to 2012 this time. now i may have missed the odd player but it will be close enough.
Have often argued that all clubs are in constant rebuild and those clubs that stop for any long period of time inevitably end up near the bottom of the ladder.

The average number of players traded, Delisted or retired each yr is around 9.7 per club from 2012-2019. Thats almost a quarter of all clubs lists each yr.

The most a club has turned over in one season in that time is Essendon in 2016, They turned over 22 players. Not surprising that yr 2016 was the highest total of players turned over with 197 averaging 10.9 per club. An interesting side point was they delisted/traded 13 players the yr before so turned over a mammoth 35 players in just two seasons.

The least number of players turned over in a season by any club is 4 but it has only ever dipped below 6 on three or four occasions in that period.
the least number of players traded delisted retired in one yr 2012 - 2019 was 164 averaging 9.1 per club.

It makes for interesting reading especially when the topic is about clubs and rebuilds it seems they are all in perpetual rebuild
Nice work! 👍:think:👍

Bingo! Clubs are either contending or rebuilding, Clubs often get this decision/direction wrong & it sets them back yrs. We faced this decision after '16 & history we got it very right but it can easily go the other way too as well all know.

Bingo! Clubs are either contending or rebuilding, Clubs often get this decision/direction wrong & it sets them back yrs. We faced this decision after '16 & history we got it very right but it can easily go the other way too as well all know.

Well i think Richmond are doing both

2 x Premierships in 3 years whilst turning over 23 players in that period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back