List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Lynch was a dream.

And Rance did consider playing for another club. The Lions, in fact, when Lepper went up there as senior coach. If he hadn’t been sacked it might’ve actually happened.

Never say never.
Dnt think Rance ever considered playing for Brisbane , Think you have him mixed up with Astbury

IMO a bit of a balancing act here, thinking long term. we can't have them all stay 2-3 yrs as that'd take some to 32-33 yrs so we can't plan to start phasing them out then as that'd take them to 35/36 & none will probably be playing then anyway. thinking long term we'd need 1-2 to go each yr from next yr as if they stay 3 yrs for example they'd all pretty much leave at once & that'd be too big a gap to fill within 1-2 yrs, the future of our list depends on the development of the kids. Where it becomes a balancing act is because we are going for flags now while also planning to remain a contender for many yrs to come as well.
Geelong and Hawks have a mix of quite old players on their lists and new blood. They have been competitive teams for a long time. And I think we will be too. I reckon Riewoldt and Sheds look most likely to play until 35. Prestia, our best midfielder, until 34, Astbury, Houli before that. So I reckon we will lose good depth players for lack of opportunity. And trade other good players in. But focus on flags for the next 2, 3 years and see how the Dimma Dynasty plays out.

Couple of things to point out with your post. There are 18 players remaining from the 2016 list given Rance and Markov remain on the list. 27 players have gone since then but although it was only a bit over 3 years ago that list was active, there have been 4 end of season purges in that time, 2016, 17, 18 & 19.

So we are unloading about 7 per season on average.

For the record....

3 departed as free agents, 3(you would say) Grigg, Maric and Chaplin effectively retired, 5 traded, one terminated(Yarran) and 15 effectively delisted.

Roughly speaking we are delisting 4 per season, losing one to free agency, trading one, and one is retiring or being retired.

In are coming roughly on average 4 draftees from the main draft per year, one traded in or free agent, and 2 rookies of one type or another.

Couple of things to point out with your post. There are 18 players remaining from the 2016 list given Rance and Markov remain on the list. 27 players have gone since then but although it was only a bit over 3 years ago that list was active, there have been 4 end of season purges in that time, 2016, 17, 18 & 19.

So we are unloading about 7 per season on average.

This is the exact point i was trying to make , With a team thats won 2 of the last 3 flags and has been dominant the other year we have actually been replenishing our list as we go and at this rate we will have another 4-5 players turn over end of 2020.

Now to me that looks like rebuilding on the run whilst winning flags and if we can get our selections right then Richmond ould well be up the pointy end for the next 10 years

This is the exact point i was trying to make , With a team thats won 2 of the last 3 flags and has been dominant the other year we have actually been replenishing our list as we go and at this rate we will have another 4-5 players turn over end of 2020.

Now to me that looks like rebuilding on the run whilst winning flags and if we can get our selections right then Richmond ould well be up the pointy end for the next 10 years
Only 10 years?!?!!? :think: :eek::huh:

B: Grimes Astbury Broad
HB: Houli Vlastuin Short
C: Pickett Cotchin Caddy
HF: Castagna Riewoldt Stack
F: Rioli Lynch Bolton
R: Soldo Martin Prestia
INT: Edwards Lambert Graham Nankervis

OUT: Ellis Baker
IN: Graham Stack

Wow. Some teams look good on paper, but there are still concerns on consistency. That team though. The ONLY regular players in last few years I had 'issues' with were Conca and Ellis.

Looking at that team. EVERY SINGLE player in the 22 is what I consider to be premiership level.

I think Rance retired because he realised he was not needed ;).

So at the end of 2020 we have Rance coming off the list freeing up good money. (which I would throw at Taylor from GWS I like the fairy tale of Tom Green but I don't think it'll materialise) Markov seems unlikely to break into the side. I can see Kmac struggling to get a game. Kmac I don't mind keeping Kmac as all round depth. But with Caddy playing well on the wing he has lost his spot. I can see us rotating a lot of players through that wing position. Castagna didn't look bad there. I reckon SA clubs will sniff around CJ. Or if CJ really comes on maybe Nank is of interest on the trade table. Aarts may be delisted. Baker might attract interest in WA.
2021 we will be looking to transition Houli out. See how Astbury is holding up. Sheds & JR look like they've got lots of years left in em

Last edited:
So at the end of 2020 we have Rance coming off the list freeing up good money. (which I would throw at Taylor from GWS I like the fairy tale of Tom Green but I don't think it'll materialise) Markov seems unlikely to break into the side. I can see Kmac struggling to get a game. Kmac I don't mind keeping Kmac as all round depth. But with Caddy playing well on the wing he has lost his spot. I can see us rotating a lot of players through that wing position. Castagna didn't look bad there. I reckon SA clubs will sniff around CJ. Or if CJ really comes on maybe Nank is of interest on the trade table. Aarts may be delisted. Baker might attract interest in WA.
2021 we will be looking to transition Houli out. See how Astbury is holding up. Sheds & JR look like they've got lots of years left in em
Rance ( thinking he could be back)
Markov (if he doesnt show in 2020)
Kmac (could be enticed to move)
Aarts (rookie)
CCJ (i would hate to see leave)
Nank ( Love the guy and a real worrier but we have depth now and will be better in 12 months time)
Baker (wont be going anywhere)

Rance ( thinking he could be back)
Markov (if he doesnt show in 2020)
Kmac (could be enticed to move)
Aarts (rookie)
CCJ (i would hate to see leave)
Nank ( Love the guy and a real worrier but we have depth now and will be better in 12 months time)
Baker (wont be going anywhere)
I hope Rance stays, in which case Miller to rookie list. Markov won't produce anything. Others have gone past. I was worried about Nank's poor form when he returned from injury. Until the GF, where he played a blinder. Squeezing CJ into a ruck line up of Nank, Soldo will be interesting. Balta I see as a back up defender & or wing option. I rate Baker too.
Getting game time for JG, Ross & Pickett might be a challenge too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think once the season starts and he deals with his marital issues he will be missing the game and will be back after the Bye
Rance is done.

even the turnover from the first modern premiership is fairly remarkable

2017 squad[edit]
Senior listRookie listCoaching staff
Richmond Football Club
Head coach
Assistant coaches
Legend:
  • (c) Captain(s)
  • (vc) Vice captain(s)
  • Arrow-up.png Upgraded rookie
  • (B) Category B rookie
Updated: 12 May 2017
Source(s): Playing list, Coaching staff

how do you know?
Rance wanted to walk away a few years ago to devote time to his faith and family and was persuaded to remain. Since then he managed to achieve the ultimate in our sport by winning a premiership, so there is no reason for him to return to achieve anything. He has also had his marriage fall apart and as he mentioned in his announcement he wanted to devote more time to his family and faith, he isn't going to just take a few months off and then turn his back on that especially if he manages to get his marriage back together as it would pretty much show Georgia and the church that his words mean nothing. IMO it's best to let Rance ride off into the sunset and look towards the future without him being part of it.

Rance wanted to walk away a few years ago to devote time to his faith and family and was persuaded to remain. Since then he managed to achieve the ultimate in our sport by winning a premiership, so there is no reason for him to return to achieve anything. He has also had his marriage fall apart and as he mentioned in his announcement he wanted to devote more time to his family and faith, he isn't going to just take a few months off and then turn his back on that especially if he manages to get his marriage back together as it would pretty much show Georgia and the church that his words mean nothing. IMO it's best to let Rance ride off into the sunset and look towards the future without him being part of it.

Cotchin said he might give it away after a flag. After he won his 2nd, he said he was looking forward to more about 5mins after the siren went.

Im not holding my breath but Rance may return, stranger things have happened

Cotchin said he might give it away after a flag. After he won his 2nd, he said he was looking forward to more about 5mins after the siren went.

Im not holding my breath but Rance may return, stranger things have happened
Bit different saying Cotchin saying he'll retire after a flag and Rance who wanted to retire 5 years ago because of religion, actually retiring because he wanted to devote more time to his family and religion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back