Draft Watcher 2020 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Okay, so not entirely SA stuff...but my last update before the draft.

Big Board - November 28

1. Elijah Hollands (189cm, 85kg from Vic Country)
2. Denver Grainger-Barras (194cm, 78kg from WA)
3. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (195cm, 90kg from Vic Country)
4. Logan McDonald (196cm, 86kg from WA)
5. Riley Thilthorpe (201cm, 100kg from SA)
6. Braeden Campbell (181cm, 75kg from Sydney)
7. Archie Perkins (188cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
8. Will Phillips (180cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
9. Brayden Cook (189cm, 82kg from SA)
10. Oliver Henry (188cm, 77kg from Vic Country)

11. Lachlan Jones (186cm, 89kg from SA)
12. Heath Chapman (193cm, 81kg from WA)
13. Tom Powell (183cm, 74kg from SA)
14. Zach Reid (202cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
15. Tanner Bruhn (183cm, 74kg from Vic Country)
16. Bailey Laurie (179cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)
17. Jack Carroll (187cm, 76kg from WA)
18. Caleb Poulter (192cm, 79kg from SA)
19. Finlay Macrae (186cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)
20. Brandon Walker (183cm, 75kg from WA)

21. Shannon Neale (202cm, 91kg from WA)
22. Zavier Maher (185cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
23. Blake Coleman (180cm, 79kg from Brisbane)
24. Nikolas Cox (200cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
25. Luke Pedlar (183cm, 80kg from SA)
26. Eddie Ford (189cm, 83kg from Vic Metro)
27. Reef McInness (193cm, 86kg from Vic Country)
28. Conor Stone (189cm, 83kg from Vic Metro)
29. Nathan O'Driscoll (187cm, 78kg from WA)
30. Corey Durdin (173cm, 73kg from SA)

31. Fraser Rosman (194cm, 84kg from Vic Metro)
32. Errol Gulden (175cm, 75kg from Sydney)
33. Jake Bowey (175cm, 67kg from Vic Metro)
34. Kaine Baldwin (193cm, 90kg from SA)
35. Phoenix Spicer (173cm, 64kg from SA)
36. Connor Downie (185cm, 82kg from Vic Metro)
37. Joel Western (172cm, 68kg from WA)
38. Matthew Allison (194cm, 81kg from Vic Metro)
39. Ryan Angwin (184cm, 72kg from Vic Country)
40. Brodie Lake (185cm, 79kg from NT)

41. Isiah Winder (180cm, 79kg from WA)
42. Kalin Lane (204cm, 95kg from WA)
43. Seamus Mitchell (181cm, 74kg from Vic Country)
44. Malachy Carruthers (185cm, 72kg from SA)
45. Zane Trew (188cm, 80kg from WA)
46. James Borlase (192cm, 93kg from SA)
47. Patrick Walker (187cm, 76kg from Tasmania)
48. Jack Ginnivan (183cm, 77kg from Vic Country)
49. Liam Kolar (195cm, 81kg from Vic Metro)
50. Callum Park (190cm, 74kg from SA)

51. Jackson Callow (194cm, 100kg from Tasmania)
52. Zac Dumesny (186cm, 80kg from SA)
53. Liam McMahon (196cm, 84kg from Vic Metro)
54. Cody Brand (196cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
55. Sam Berry (181cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
56. Max Heath (203cm, 94kg from Vic Metro)
57. James Rowe (173cm, 73kg from SA)
58. Beau McCreery (186cm, 80kg from SA)
59. Jacob Wehr (184cm, 71kg from SA)
60. Lachlan Carrigan (191cm, 78kg from Vic Metro)

I would think that indigenous players in country areas would be better looked after, because generally in country towns sport is a huge part of the community and the majority of people get involved, plus, less distractions. More need in cities for NGAs where players have a multitude of distractions.
Cities (in footy states) already have top-level underage programs.

I would think that indigenous players in country areas would be better looked after, because generally in country towns sport is a huge part of the community and the majority of people get involved, plus, less distractions. More need in cities for NGAs where players have a multitude of distractions.
SA and WA don't get access in Metro areas at all, and alot of the country areas as well.

I've got some time off work, so what else is there to do than draft stuff? Thought for something different I'll go through each team and name three players - their first pick, a mid round pick and of course a South Australian. I definitely don't claim to be an expert on each team's list and maybe I'm a bit critical of some of the bottom teams, but oh well...

Adelaide
I've been pretty critical of Adelaide for a few years now, it's no real surprise to me that they're where they are now. The only thing worse than their drafting, is their player development. It's debatable whether their forward line or midfield is worse, but both would be worst in the league. On the plus side though, they have the makings of a good defence - as long as they play Fischer McAsey in his best position. And Will Hamill certainly makes up for their first round draft misses.

First pick - Elijah Hollands
If we're being realistic, Adelaide will finish last again next year - and I'm sure that's their plan with Jason Horne looking as good as any player in this draft. Hollands is the best player on offer, and I think would be a consensus top pick if it wasn't for the knee injury. So bring him in now, take it slow and set up for 2022.

Mid draft - Shannon Neale
I don't mind Reilly O'Brien, he's probably an above average ruckman in the league. But I'm also not sure he ever gets any better than what he is now. Either way, there's not much behind him in terms of ruck stocks. Neale is looking like one of the best on offer, and would give Adelaide a more interesting ruckman to build around.

South Australian - Brayden Cook
Like with the Hollands pick, when your midfield and forward line are both equally as bad then why not take a midfielder who can kick goals. Best case scenario, Cook is an attacking outside midfielder. Worst case, a more than handy medium marking forward. Adelaide should have a few picks in the second round and Cook should be high on the list.

North Melbourne
Second bottom team on the ladder, and what I would call the second worst list in the league. So that makes sense. But before North fans get too upset at me, it does look like there's a way out. The likes of McDonald, Simpkin and Davies-Uniacke are finally starting to show why they were high picks. Just need that one more elite talent to make the average/good players around them look better.

First pick - Will Phillips
I think they'll be tempted to go tall, but they have another first rounder for that. Sometimes the safe option is also the best one and that's definitely Phillips. Like Caleb Serong has done at Fremantle this year, he should have an immediate pick and go straight into the starting midfield - adding both some toughness and composure.

Mid draft - Jackson Callow
Time to get another Tasmanian on the list, just in case Ben Brown doesn't regain his form from previous years. I've said many times that I think Callow is best suited to playing as a defender at AFL level, and I think he could make a very good one. But he does have runs on the board as a key forward, so he'd provide North with some options over the next few years.

South Australian - Phoenix Spicer
Spicer is basically a really raw version of Kozzie Pickett. Elite speed and agility, while he hits harder than players much bigger than him. Biggest flaw in his game is that he's too quick, everything is done at 110% which often lets his kicking down. Just needs to slow down a bit and channel his speed for good. But would be a fun pick later on in the draft.

Sydney
I actually quite like the Sydney list and where it's headed. James Rowbottom looks like he'll be a very good player for them and a classic Sydney midfielder too. Dylan Stephens will be a good compliment for him, and it seems like they're really making Will Gould earn his spot which will be worth it in the long run. Just seems the talls are a bit thin.

First pick - Logan McDonald
As of writing this, Sydney have the #3 pick so McDonald is on the board. And it would be an obvious pick if available. They need a true #1 key forward with most of their tall forwards looking like back up players at the moment. If McDonald isn't available, their pick will surely be Thilthorpe or Grainger-Barras - especially with the Academy player Campbell to come.

Mid draft - Finn Gorringe
Given their next couple of picks will likely go towards matching a Campbell bid, Sydney may have to get creative if picking in the later rounds. Gorringe is a handy WA mid who just does a lot of things well. Plays more of an inside role at 183cm, he's upped his disposal numbers this year and can drift forward and get on the scoreboard.

South Australian - Karl Finlay
I still think both Finlay and Dyson Hilder should have been drafted last year, and 2020 could go either way for them - less players will likely be drafted, but they have exposed form and league experience. They've been sharing the one spot for North Adelaide this year, but I'll go with Finlay here. Like last year, he's still a composed defender who can play on the last line and smart with ball in hand.

Hawthorn
All those years of being good and having bad draft picks was bound to catch up eventually. Luckily their core group are still playing well, because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of top quality talent waiting in the wings - Will Day excluded.

First pick - Riley Thilthorpe
It should really be a case of best available for the Hawks, I imagine they'd take any of Hollands, Phillips and McDonald if they could - but in this scenario, it's Riley Thilthorpe as the next best. It seems unlikely that Tim O'Brien is suddenly going to become good, so a key forward has to be high on their list of needs. I think Thilthorpe is a more advanced prospect than Luke Jackson was last year, and is deserving of being a top 5 pick.

Mid draft - Connor Downie
Part of the Hawthorn NGA, he's going to be a Hawk it's just a matter of where the bid comes. I think probably somewhere around 30-40, potentially would have been higher if he actually got to play this year. Will Day on one wing and Downie on the other would make their forwards very happy in a few years time.

South Australian - Nicholas Kraemer
Inside midfielders isn't exactly a big need for Hawthorn, and I do like Finn Maginness developing into that role too. But I think the likes of Mitchell and O'Meara would appreciate a guy like Kraemer. He's not going to win 25+ touches every week, but he's a big body who can win it in close and will probably lead the team in tackles most weeks.

Gold Coast
Not much needs to be said about the Gold Coast list, it's obviously talented and the best it's been since their inception - they just have to keep it together. Although their last 6 weeks has been very disappointing.

First pick - Denver Grainger-Barras
With the amount of elite young talent on their list, it wouldn't surprise me if Gold Coast reached ever so slightly for a need or a better fit - I considered Zac Reid as that player. But I'll stick with the highest rated player left, and Grainger-Barras is the more well rounded defender and would be the final piece in their KPD room.

Mid draft - Alex Davies
Okay, so Davies will be prelisted by the Suns. But I would expect them to take minimal picks this year given the size of their list, so I'm going to include him anyway. I have Davies as a top 10 talent in this draft, so will be another handy piece to add to their midfield.

South Australian - Brodie Lake
I'm just cutting corners now since Lake is from the NT, tied to the Suns Academy and played in WA last year. But, he's been playing in SA for the past few weeks so I'm going to claim him. List size will be the biggest factor in whether he gets picked up, but as a mid/half back he'd be worth a rookie spot at least. Does a lot of things well, and you can't question his commitment having already travelled all across the country.

Fremantle
Obviously I'm biased, but the Fremantle list is looking in pretty good shape at the moment. The young midfielders are stepping up, we'll finally have an All Australian not named Fyfe or Walters and we'll be reaping the rewards of the NGA again. Now we just have to fix the injury list and finish off the forward line with a couple more avenues to goal.

First pick - Nathan O'Driscoll
The Fremantle draft will be complicated by the points deficit hanging over their first pick, it'll likely drop it by 3 or 4 spots - potentially taking them out of the running for O'Driscoll. But that's a problem for draft day. A tall and versatile midfielder, I suspect he would be developed on a wing to best use his athleticism and kicking.

Mid draft - Kalin Lane
With Brandon Walker looking like an earlier and earlier pick with every game, Fremantle could be picking late and another ruck has to be on the cards. There would be a handful of rucks pushing for selection this year, but the 19 year old Lane could end up being one of the first picked. He's got a more solid frame than others, but moves well and is developing his game quickly.

South Australian - Ned Carey
If they're happy with the way Lloyd Meek is developing, then maybe a hybrid ruck/KPP could be an option. Carey hasn't really been able to show what he can do consistently because of injury, but he's grown to a good size at 198cm. He's athletic for his size, and both crashes the packs and takes contested marks. He's a project tall, can play either end of the ground and in the ruck.

I've got some time off work, so what else is there to do than draft stuff? Thought for something different I'll go through each team and name three players - their first pick, a mid round pick and of course a South Australian. I definitely don't claim to be an expert on each team's list and maybe I'm a bit critical of some of the bottom teams, but oh well...

Adelaide

North Melbourne

Sydney

Hawthorn

Gold Coast

Fremantle
I imagine you're trying to not double up on south aussies, but do you think Phoenix Spicer could be a good pick for Freo? If we want speed, he's obviously got it, but is he too similar to Freddy?

Adelaide

North Melbourne

Sydney

Hawthorn

Gold Coast

Fremantle
I had not thought of O’Driscoll as a wing option. I thought he would be suited to play as inside outside mid in the Dangerfield mold, and I thought the knock on his game was his kicking.

I imagine you're trying to not double up on south aussies, but do you think Phoenix Spicer could be a good pick for Freo? If we want speed, he's obviously got it, but is he too similar to Freddy?

Yeah I'm going for no double ups, but I think Spicer is an intriguing late pick. Like Frederick, it would be very much a case of a late round no real risk pick up. It'll just be a case of list numbers and what happens with the rookie list too. There's not much of him, but elite speed and agility. He's a more natural crumber than Frederick, so you could put him in a pocket with Freddy on a flank or wing. I doubt we pick him given a number of similar types being in our NGA, but I've always said we need more small forwards.

I had not thought of O’Driscoll as a wing option. I thought he would be suited to play as inside outside mid in the Dangerfield mold, and I thought the knock on his game was his kicking.

Maybe foot 'skills' was the wrong way to put it, but he's got a good boot on him and gets a lot of penetration. In terms of skills or precision, it's not a knock I've had on him. I personally like him on a wing, very few are purely outside mids anymore so he can push into the stoppages too. But it would give him the freedom to run, and both work a kick behind play and go forward. He's got the size and athletic profile for what I would look for in a wing.

Yeah I'm going for no double ups, but I think Spicer is an intriguing late pick. Like Frederick, it would be very much a case of a late round no real risk pick up. It'll just be a case of list numbers and what happens with the rookie list too. There's not much of him, but elite speed and agility. He's a more natural crumber than Frederick, so you could put him in a pocket with Freddy on a flank or wing. I doubt we pick him given a number of similar types being in our NGA, but I've always said we need more small forwards.

Maybe foot 'skills' was the wrong way to put it, but he's got a good boot on him and gets a lot of penetration. In terms of skills or precision, it's not a knock I've had on him. I personally like him on a wing, very few are purely outside mids anymore so he can push into the stoppages too. But it would give him the freedom to run, and both work a kick behind play and go forward. He's got the size and athletic profile for what I would look for in a wing.
Thanks for the reply Chris25.

The only thing worse than the Crows drafting is their development?

That's a pretty big statement. This is a club that has pulled a lot of gems from late in the draft (Sloane, McGovern, Laird, Cameron, ROB, Jenkins, Matt Crouch), or taken very unexpected players (Doedee).

Currently - in a very tough spot, unable to run proper training sessions while transitioning their team - plus, trying to move training locations from the out of date setup they currently have.

Where have you said that you disagreed with their drafting?

That's a pretty big statement. This is a club that has pulled a lot of gems from late in the draft (Sloane, McGovern, Laird, Cameron, ROB, Jenkins, Matt Crouch), or taken very unexpected players (Doedee).

Currently - in a very tough spot, unable to run proper training sessions while transitioning their team - plus, trying to move training locations from the out of date setup they currently have.

I wouldn't think it's too big a statement. An Adelaide poster replied to me just the other day that list management and player development is their biggest issue. Whether it's drafting, development, retention or culture, there's a reason why Adelaide are winless.

Of the players you listed, the most recent is Tom Doedee who was picked in 2015. That's a long time ago now. Since then their best picks are a solid defender in McPherson and a rebounding half back in Hamill - not including last year given it's still early days. I come from a family of Adelaide supporters so I am often more critical of them, plus I don't forgive them for whatever they did to Darcy Fogarty.

C’mon that’s been one of the major discussion points on your boards draft thread.

This happens on every clubs board.

It’s ok for supporters to have a negative opinion about their own club, but as soon as an opposition supporter says the same thing, it’s a pile on, or posters go into an attacking defensive mode.

The crows drafting and development issues are more recently than long term. Up until the last few years they would comfortably sit near the top for picking excellent players with the hands they have, especially when Rendell was around. Got some rippers when he was in charge but with Reid we have been largely near the very bottom of the drafting and development also bottom. Throw in all the other dramas and it's a recipe for disaster and with a likely 0-17 I'd say that disaster is very much accomplished. The crows are damn lucky there aren't full length games and 23 rounds as it would be even more embarrassing.

There's some pretty simplistic analysis of our player development and drafting. Lots of issues at the club and I'm not saying these areas are perfect, but at least put some critical thought into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crows drafting and development issues are more recently than long term. Up until the last few years they would comfortably sit near the top for picking excellent players with the hands they have, especially when Rendell was around. Got some rippers when he was in charge but with Reid we have been largely near the very bottom of the drafting and development also bottom. Throw in all the other dramas and it's a recipe for disaster and with a likely 0-17 I'd say that disaster is very much accomplished. The crows are damn lucky there aren't full length games and 23 rounds as it would be even more embarrassing.
I don’t believe anyone is suggesting it’s a long term issue.

But there’s little to look at from 2016 onwards.

Matt Crouch was a top 25 pick
Yeah, he was only pick 23 and he's been a multiple All Australian and best and fairest winner.

No one would expect that from a second round pick.

So no one is willing to name a pick that Adelaide actually got wrong?

I'll give you one - Gallucci. But even then, he was selected pretty much where every draft observer thought he would go. MAYBE three or four picks early, as the second round was quite deep, but hardly a shock.

I think Fogarty will come good, and Jones/McHenry/Schoenberg/McAsey will a be excellent.

The thing is - no one knows how the Crows would have been if this was a normal season. With games every four days, almost zero training, with coaching staff being limited due to soft cap - there is a reason every second person describes these times as "unprecedented".

Obviously, the team is rebuilding. But there's no way you can call recent draft picks a bust. And Hamish has done an excellent job, I would have thought.

There's some pretty simplistic analysis of our player development and drafting. Lots of issues at the club and I'm not saying these areas are perfect, but at least put some critical thought into it.
Dude, we have the worst list in the AFL.
Every club can show wins with later picks. Hell, every phantom drafter here will also be able to show just as many picks late that turn out to be good players.

Dude, we have the worst list in the AFL.
Every club can show wins with later picks. Hell, every phantom drafter here will also be able to show just as many picks late that turn out to be good players.
We've got the worst run club in the afl that has translated into the worst performing team in the afl.

List management, player retention and game day coaching staff can all be laughed at. There are a lot of problems at the club.

Player development and drafting has been decent GIVEN the lack of access to top end talent year after year.

The thing is - no one knows how the Crows would have been if this was a normal season. With games every four days, almost zero training, with coaching staff being limited due to soft cap - there is a reason every second person describes these times as "unprecedented".

Obviously, the team is rebuilding. But there's no way you can call recent draft picks a bust. And Hamish has done an excellent job, I would have thought.
Surely if its too early to call a pick a bust the same applies in reverse and its too early to make the claim that all 4 players in your post above will be "excellent"?

So no one is willing to name a pick that Adelaide actually got wrong?

I'll give you one - Gallucci. But even then, he was selected pretty much where every draft observer thought he would go. MAYBE three or four picks early, as the second round was quite deep, but hardly a shock.

I think Fogarty will come good, and Jones/McHenry/Schoenberg/McAsey will a be excellent.
Interested to see your evidence to suggest McHenry will be excellent. I genuinely don't see it at all.

Yeah, he was only pick 23 and he's been a multiple All Australian and best and fairest winner.

No one would expect that from a second round pick.
Would you expect that of any pick? If a player becomes a regular contributor that's a successful pick, all the awards on top are just a little extra nice

We've got the worst run club in the afl that has translated into the worst performing team in the afl.

List management, player retention and game day coaching staff can all be laughed at. There are a lot of problems at the club.

Player development and drafting has been decent GIVEN the lack of access to top end talent year after year.
Decent doesnt win flags.
Tell me on who on our list looks like a A grader?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back