• Nathan O'Driscoll

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Zane Trew

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 9.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is no doubt we will be taking both. Regardless of the debate on best available/best value etc, I feel like the current makeup of the list should influence about 10% of the total decision on which player to take. When you select a top 10 pick, you make an investment that you hope will be paid back over 10-12 years. We probably didn’t take Brodie Grundy in 2012 because we had Sandi. In hindsight that was bloody stupid.
I do think top rated midfielders in a typical draft crop are “safer bets” than KPP. So maybe the safe bet this time is O’Driscoll or Bruhn etc. Is O’Driscoll an explosive player with good speed?
O'Driscoll ran a 2.99 second 20m in preseason testing

O'Driscoll ran a 2.99 second 20m in preseason testing
He looks a bit ungainly but does have some defensive nous and speed and seems to have a good tank. I also don’t think his kicking is bad, just a weird action. He is not the same but I see a bit of Nigel Lappin in him. We could do a lot worse

He looks a bit ungainly but does have some defensive nous and speed and seems to have a good tank. I also don’t think his kicking is bad, just a weird action. He is not the same but I see a bit of Nigel Lappin in him. We could do a lot worse
I'll take one N.Lappin if it is going.

Picking the best available is always the safest bet. It’s crazy to think that you have the opportunity to pick who your recruiters have identified as the best available only to then pick a lesser quality player.
Agreed.... I don’t reckon when you go to the draft you have in your mind an absolute priority player type, it’s got to be fluid because unless you have pick 1, you ultimately can be trumped - it happens every year.
The first round of the draft is elite talent for the year group and tracked from u16’s performance, Longmuir making comments that he wants players playing in their position of strength is a foresight and development consideration - not solely based on how the player excels at underage level. Players change their game as they grow and mature as much so in a mental capacity also.
I would trust the new regime to be more considered to draft talent over position of need as multiple positions need to be catered for at the same time - surely you draft best available early and weigh up the pros and cons.
Easier to trade for need - it’s just the cost of the trade that is scrutinised to death - we all view trades with rose coloured glasses, what we want to believe is a win, both sides usually do overall.

A couple of questions for you;
At which picks were Young, Jackson, Pickett and Green best available?

And a different hypothetical, if a bid comes for Walker or Western and Carrol is still available, what should we do? I

And a different hypothetical, if a bid comes for Walker or Western and Carrol is still available, what should we do? I
Young pick 3
Jackson pick 5
Green pick 4
Pickett pick 10-14

Depends on our first pick and where the bid is at?

Literally the bid would have to be pick 29 and our next pick 30 to guarantee Carroll.

Even then, we would get a discount on the bid for Walker that enables us to get Western without deficit.

I noticed in Twomey's recent ranking he had Errol Gulden at 15. He's part of Sydney's academy listed as 171cm with a similar write up to Western. Do any of the draft watchers know why Western is expected to be drafted later due to height, but Gulden isn't?
Always felt the Tomb star gives too much credit to Northern Academy players.

I just find the whole size obsession problematic in the industry. Serong's not big, neither is Walters. If either of them had the speed of Western to impact on the spread from the contest they'd be adding a real plus to their resume. Western offers something we really don't have a lot of - that spread from the contest. I have nothing against the Walker boys and see them both as good prospects, but If i had to pick one it'd be Western all day every day.
Caleb Daniel went pick 46 and only fell due to height.

Daniel killed it in the championships and his effective kicks percentage was like 90% for a midfielder.

I think I’d take walker or Western over Carroll. It seems Carroll has a strange kicking action a little but like dev Robertson. Haven’t seen much of him to be fair, but the clips I did watch seemed to indicate so.
I definitely get real Caleb Daniel vibes from Western, perhaps not quite as good a user but elite speed.

I think I’d take walker or Western over Carroll. It seems Carroll has a strange kicking action a little but like dev Robertson. Haven’t seen much of him to be fair, but the clips I did watch seemed to indicate so.
I definitely get real Caleb Daniel vibes from Western, perhaps not quite as good a user but elite speed.
Kicking action is a weird thing to critique imo, I think Darcy Moore has a weird/ exaggerated kicking action but it wouldn't stop me from taking him if available.

Cherry picked yes, but an example of Carrolls awareness and execution

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicking action is a weird thing to critique imo, I think Darcy Moore has a weird/ exaggerated kicking action but it wouldn't stop me from taking him if available.

Cherry picked yes, but an example of Carrolls awareness and execution
If our pick was to drift out a bit over the next few weeks could definitely see us pull the trigger on him.
Is exactly type of player jlo would be after

If our pick was to drift out a bit over the next few weeks could definitely see us pull the trigger on him.
Is exactly type of player jlo would be after

He's come in a heap on these boards in the last month. Would love to see how he goes at league level before the season is over.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - If DBG was from Victoria no one this board would be talking about him. There’s plenty of Victorian who seem to similarly rated but aren’t spoken about on this board because they aren’t local. I don’t know how many years our club needs to demonstrate they don’t give a **** where a player is from for our supporters to give up on it.
McDonald and DGB were both All Australian in u16s so it is not like they haven't been on the radar for a long time. Both have now played a few senior games and one is leading the WAFL goal kicking and the other been in his team's best a couple of times. The last time young talls showed as much as these two have at WAFL league level at 18 was Naughton. What has actually happened is our high rating of them has been accurate all along and the Vic-based media are only now just realising they were underestimating the non-Vic talent (even though SA and WA dominated u16s relating to this draft year) and are now laughably calling them "bolters".

Would agree with what you said if you didn't use DGB as the example ;)

McDonald and DGB were both All Australian in u16s so it is not like they haven't been on the radar for a long time. Both have now played a few senior games and one is leading the WAFL goal kicking and the other been in his team's best a couple of times. The last time young talls showed as much as these two have at WAFL league level at 18 was Naughton. What has actually happened is our high rating of them has been accurate all along and the Vic-based media are only now just realising they were underestimating the non-Vic talent (even though SA and WA dominated u16s relating to this draft year) and are now laughably calling them "bolters".

Would agree with what you said if you didn't use DGB as the example ;)
I think McDonald was down on ratings parly because he was a tad on the short side last year. Think he was listed as 192 but is now 196? Big difference at AFL level between those heights as a KPF.

Sounds like a Mundy replacement to me.
Yeah I rate him based on the few times I've watched him. I didn't get a chance to watch him on Saturday and not sure he had the greatest game so would have been good to see how he handled it.

I really like some of the non-WA prospects as well though. Bruhn for instance has been high on my list since I first watched him play. Like Phillips for us as well. I keep going hot and then cold on O'Driscoll.

Back