Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any chance of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera being available at pick 19 (21 after F/S selections)? Draft central has him at #18. Looks like a serous talent.

From the little I have seen of the draft prospects this year, NWM projects as a smooth mover who will be delivering daggers to the opposition for whoever is lucky to land him. Super impressive. The problem is that if we have committed to JHF, our picks in the 20-40 range should be used on a KKP/dashing halfback/goal sneak.

If NWM projects as one of these, then great!

From the little I have seen of the draft prospects this year, NWM projects as a smooth mover who will be delivering daggers to the opposition for whoever is lucky to land him. Super impressive. The problem is that if we have committed to JHF, our picks in the 20-40 range should be used on a KKP/dashing halfback/goal sneak.

If NWM projects as one of these, then great!

He projects as a better Andrew Gaff imo. He’ll probably be gone before our pick though.

Come to think about it, Daicos moves a lot like Phillips and the poise and class is there too. So considering we got that similar type last years makes Horne that little bit more enticing, especially if he can cause havoc up forward.

RECRUITERS EYE PICK NO.20

CLUBS believe pick No.20 could become hot property at this year's NAB AFL Draft as the last chance rivals will claim Next Generation Academy prospects without forcing a bid.

Under new rules this year, clubs will not be able to match bids on Next Generation Academy prospects within the first 20 selections as the AFL makes that a 'protected zone' of the draft.

From pick No.21 to 40, clubs can match bids under the usual Academy and father-son bidding system and after pick 40 are able to match with their next available pick.

But it means there could be a rush on draft night for clubs trying to trade up to pick 20 to ensure they get full access to a NGA player without that prospect's holder club getting a chance to match the bid.

St Kilda pair Marcus Windhager and Mitchito Owens shape as the most likely NGA prospects to push into top-20 contention outside of Melbourne's Mac Andrew, who appears certain to attract a top-15 bid and be unavailable for the Demons

Holding pick No.20 could be an added bonus for this year's premiers, with their No.18 pick likely to be bumped back two spots due to earlier bids on father-son pair Nick Daicos (Collingwood) and Sam Darcy (Western Bulldogs). The fluid draft order means who holds pick 20 could shift as the night goes on but the protected zone will stop at No.20 no matter how many bids are made.

The draft will this year return to a two-night affair with the first round taking place on the opening night before the rest of the draft the following evening.

That format at the 2018-19 drafts saw the first pick of the second round be extremely sought after by clubs who wanted to trade up the board to grab players who had fallen through the first night. Brisbane essentially traded a future-second round pick to Port Adelaide to move up one spot in 2019 to grab Deven Robertson. – Callum Twomey

*Not a trade pick 1 post*

Love the look of these blokes with Pick 20:

View attachment 1229516
View attachment 1229508
View attachment 1229509
View attachment 1229511
View attachment 1229512
View attachment 1229513

Assuming everyone doesn't want to trade Pick 20 back as well...
You say that in jest, but if we look at trading back any pick for more picks then pick 20 is the one (i.e. do not trade pick 1). Obviously depends on who is still on the board when we get there (I really like the sound of Wilmot), but there must be quite a bit of uncertainty around ranking the talent this year and picks a bit later may well offer just as good a chance of getting a good player as pick 20 does. Clubs have shown they will pay a premium for picks in that range, so if we could turn it into, for example, Clarke and Bazzo that seems quite enticing.

*Not a trade pick 1 post*

Love the look of these blokes with Pick 20:

View attachment 1229516
View attachment 1229508
View attachment 1229509
View attachment 1229511
View attachment 1229512
View attachment 1229513

Assuming everyone doesn't want to trade Pick 20 back as well...

Love the look of all these blokes, wish we could find a way to get 2 of them
You say that in jest, but if we look at trading back any pick for more picks then pick 20 is the one (i.e. do not trade pick 1). Obviously depends on who is still on the board when we get there (I really like the sound of Wilmot), but there must be quite a bit of uncertainty around ranking the talent this year and picks a bit later may well offer just as good a chance of getting a good player as pick 20 does. Clubs have shown they will pay a premium for picks in that range, so if we could turn it into, for example, Clarke and Bazzo that seems quite enticing.

I agree, it seems as if there’s about 30+ guys that can fit into the top 20 and draft boards are sure to differ massively. I think that area will mostly come down to needs and unfortunately for us we have lots of needs and not enough picks to fill them right now. If we could somehow snag 2 players in that 20-30 range, say a key position player & a small forward or classy half back flanker, I think along with drafting JHF, we’d probably come out massive winners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera being available at pick 19 (21 after F/S selections)? Draft central has him at #18. Looks like a serous talent.

Watched the SA v WA game and agree he is slick but how is he defensively? Didn't see much aggression there but that's the extent of my exposure.

I'm no expert at all but prefer the sound of Wilmot. Dashing defender who is also 'tenacious'? Sounds like a modern day player to me and a shinboner too.

Watched the SA v WA game and agree he is slick but how is he defensively? Didn't see much aggression there but that's the extent of my exposure.

I'm no expert at all but prefer the sound of Wilmot. Dashing defender who is also 'tenacious'? Sounds like a modern day player to me and a shinboner too.
Also, Wilmot was born 31 December, so being ranked top ~20 is a pretty good effort when he'd be in next year's draft if born just a day later.

I'd be very happy with either. That being said, we haven't taken a 2nd rounder that I've been keen on pre-draft in the 10 years I've been following the draft, so I'm not holding my breathe.

Don’t know much outside of clips of games and I read the AFL Draft Central write ups every month. I just like what I’ve seen and read and we need a genuine winger with elite skills.

#18 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Glenelg/South Australia | Wing
22/02/2003 | 188cm | 70kg

August Ranking:
NR

Snapshot: A smooth-moving wingman with plenty of tricks, Wanganeen-Milera can carve up the opposition with his combination of agility and elite decision making by foot.

Wanganeen-Milera comes from good pedigree as the nephew of Gavin Wanganeen and son of Terry Milera, but is blazing his own trail en route to first round contention. Class is the word which often comes up when describing the flying Glenelg wingman, as he dances around opposition players and delivers pin-point passes by foot. The 18-year-old started out in the Bays’ Reserves team this year but has since made an impact at League level, and was a late call-up to the AFL Academy squad in April. He has proven one of the most exciting draft prospects to watch over the last two months, performing well against high levels of competition and holding his own. The scary thing is, he still has plenty of room to grow and improve.

Last month:

While he made his SANFL League debut in July, Wanganeen-Milera made arguably his biggest impact in August. He kicked a clutch goal in Glenelg’s dramatic win over Norwood, and booted another major from 13 disposals the next week before slotting into South Australia’s Under 19 state squad. He was a standout at that level, tearing up the wing and oozing class with each disposal to thrust his name into top 15 calculations. His last outing was back in the League grade, managing nine touches as Glenelg lost its first game for the season on the eve of finals.

>> SANFL Player Focus

Don’t know much outside of clips of games and I read the AFL Draft Central write ups every month. I just like what I’ve seen and read and we need a genuine winger with elite skills.

#18 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Glenelg/South Australia | Wing
22/02/2003 | 188cm | 70kg

August Ranking:
NR

Snapshot: A smooth-moving wingman with plenty of tricks, Wanganeen-Milera can carve up the opposition with his combination of agility and elite decision making by foot.

Wanganeen-Milera comes from good pedigree as the nephew of Gavin Wanganeen and son of Terry Milera, but is blazing his own trail en route to first round contention. Class is the word which often comes up when describing the flying Glenelg wingman, as he dances around opposition players and delivers pin-point passes by foot. The 18-year-old started out in the Bays’ Reserves team this year but has since made an impact at League level, and was a late call-up to the AFL Academy squad in April. He has proven one of the most exciting draft prospects to watch over the last two months, performing well against high levels of competition and holding his own. The scary thing is, he still has plenty of room to grow and improve.

Last month:

While he made his SANFL League debut in July, Wanganeen-Milera made arguably his biggest impact in August. He kicked a clutch goal in Glenelg’s dramatic win over Norwood, and booted another major from 13 disposals the next week before slotting into South Australia’s Under 19 state squad. He was a standout at that level, tearing up the wing and oozing class with each disposal to thrust his name into top 15 calculations. His last outing was back in the League grade, managing nine touches as Glenelg lost its first game for the season on the eve of finals.

>> SANFL Player Focus

I suppose Hall isn't great defensively either but definitely has his role as purely a distributor so you can have these types still.

NWM does run both ways, it’s a common issue for a lot of prospects though even those considered as top 10 prospects
Thanks, what about Wilmot. What are his general strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks, what about Wilmot. What are his general strengths and weaknesses?
The only real issues with Wilmot is that he is a pure defender, not tall enough to play on talls and smalls and could be slightly more offensive. For me he would be an ideal small defender one who can shut down the best small forward while also offering speed and rebound when he does get possession.

I suppose Hall isn't great defensively either but definitely has his role as purely a distributor so you can have these types still.
Seems like the HB position has become more about the distribution from the backline vs just defensive presense like you say.
Everyone has to be able to takle though.

The only real issues with Wilmot is that he is a pure defender, not tall enough to play on talls and smalls and could be slightly more offensive. For me he would be an ideal small defender one who can shut down the best small forward while also offering speed and rebound when he does get possession.
Similar to who (currently in the AFL)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back