Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Media concentrates on the early picks when giving a (somewhat pointless) assesment of winners and losers after the draft.

hindsight tells it’s how clubs use later picks and develop them that’s the difference

there are standout individuals after the fact, but they are almost never picked first in their draft.

contrast that with US sports (where we copied the policy from) where draftees are already developed at college level.
Top 10 pick - you hope they deliver on the potential they have shown - Some losers.
Pick after 20 or so - you hope they can overcome gaps and deliver more than they have shown - Some winners.

DGB on the Golden Years podcast saying how much Josh Ward LOVES the Hawks. They share the same manager.

BRING HIM HOME!!!
Yeh alright. No more flip-flopping about. Make that love mutual. Safe pick. 200+ quality B+ to A grade games...

https://omny.fm/shows/the-hard-ball-gets-afl-show/draft-special-part-two-arthur-jones
Arthur Jones - Hoping he is a hawk next week with selection 59

In the podcast above there is a really interesting story of how he was invited to go down with two other Indigenous boys to the WCE NGA training. They brought them down for a session and basically pulled the contracts out in front of the boys, two signed it on the spot, and Arthur said, I don't understand what I am signing, I'll take it home over the weekend and read it first. He still didn't understand it after reading it with his mum, and basically just decided not to do their training anymore. So he did one session with them hence the confusion around whether he was a WCE NGA. He said he is happy he didn't sign it because other clubs might not have been interested in him and put work into him because he would have been tied only to them. He basically implied as a late prospect, being NGA tied is a detriment because if that club decides not to pick you up, the other teams might not have done their homework. I think it also suggests the NGA is a bit of a rort if they are inviting players down and pulling out the contracts after only one session!

A video reminder of his traits. Line breaking wingman in the Brad Hill Mould. 6:30 for 2km and related to Phil and Jim Krakouer.

A reminder

Attachments

• 243305903_253463326699631_7553354173405898637_n.mp4
    397.2 KB
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on Twomey's comments, my guess is that we want Ward with pick 5(7) and will look to make a trade with another club if Johnson is still available at a certain pick in the teens.

If that's the case, would we entertain the idea of trading our future first to get Johnson?

I hope not. There’s no guarantee we improve significantly enough next season to justify trading away what could be another top 5-10 pick

https://omny.fm/shows/the-hard-ball-gets-afl-show/draft-special-part-two-arthur-jones
Arthur Jones - Hoping he is a hawk next week with selection 59

In the podcast above there is a really interesting story of how he was invited to go down with two other Indigenous boys to the WCE NGA training. They brought them down for a session and basically pulled the contracts out in front of the boys, two signed it on the spot, and Arthur said, I don't understand what I am signing, I'll take it home over the weekend and read it first. He still didn't understand it after reading it with his mum, and basically just decided not to do their training anymore. So he did one session with them hence the confusion around whether he was a WCE NGA. He said he is happy he didn't sign it because other clubs might not have been interested in him and put work into him because he would have been tied only to them. He basically implied as a late prospect, being NGA tied is a detriment because if that club decides not to pick you up, the other teams might not have done their homework. I think it also suggests the NGA is a bit of a rort if they are inviting players down and pulling out the contracts after only one session!

A video reminder of his traits. Line breaking wingman in the Brad Hill Mould. 6:30 for 2km and related to Phil and Jim Krakouer.

A reminder

Impressive kid !Where is he predicted to go in the draft?If he has Bradley Hill traits I don’t think he will last to our later picks?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Player agent for hemisphere from WA , he runs through all the top draft chances. Also Manages dgb and talks about his contract extension and how he has settled in, well worth a listen.

I won't be shocked to see us call out Jesse motlops name if he is still there with one of our picks in the 20s ,and thinks that's his range and where alot of interest has come from and how he is the type of kid to really settle in a big city like Melbourne or Sydney.

Last edited:
the Rookieme HFC draft preview says we need key forward depth(along with midfield class and small forward depth).

So we need an 18yr old key forward, when we already have 4 under 23 on the list…. but only 1 key defender under 28.

the Rookieme HFC draft preview says we need key forward depth(along with midfield class and small forward depth).

So we need an 18yr old key forward, when we already have 4 under 23 on the list…. but only 1 key defender under 28.

If theyre not taken in the first round they don't count remember;)

If theyre not taken in the first round they don't count remember;)
I’m not even fussed if we don’t grab a key defender but we sure as s**t don’t need another young key forward for depth.

Like the Lystics bloke who picked Amiss. We are crying out for mids and have four young KPFs who could be anything.

If there was a Ben King at Pick 5, sure it would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back