Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How you got the link back up your claim, yes or no?

It's well documented that both the Titans and GCU had home games which had free entry.
It's hardly a state secret.
Now I'm sure both the Suns and Giants have given away free tickets at various times, but to my knowledge, I am not aware of either ever making their home games completely free to all comers.

Yep. A terrible crowd. However it reflects more on Tasmania’s appetite to support a Victorian side playing games in Hobart as opposed to the Kangaroos relative support in my opinion.
Would have to be one of the worst crowds for a regular H$A match in a supposed football heartland!
I would suggest it won't help Tassies bid for a standalone AFL team!

Would have to be one of the worst crowds for a regular H$A match in a supposed football heartland!
I would suggest it won't help Tassies bid for a standalone AFL team!
But can they afford the $50 million plus a season that the top teams spend to fund an AFL team?
I think it will be hard but you only have to look at the difference between Sydney Swans crowds in Sydney and other games they have had recently in Sydney to know that having your own team to support is completely different to having two interstate teams.

I think it will be hard but you only have to look at the difference between Sydney Swans crowds in Sydney and other games they have had recently in Sydney to know that having your own team to support is completely different to having two interstate teams.
But it is on the background of Tasmanians having long held interest in the vfl from generations back and Tasmanians having attached themselves to supporting vfl teams. You can't just say 'interstate' teams and think it is an apples for apples comparison to the Sydney sporting market.

But it is on the background of Tasmanians having long held interest in the vfl from generations back and Tasmanians having attached themselves to supporting vfl teams. You can't just say 'interstate' teams and think it is an apples for apples comparison to the Sydney sporting market.
Not for GWS though and North has the smallest long term supporter bases out of the Melbourne teams.

But can they afford the $50 million plus a season that the top teams spend to fund an AFL team?
Do all clubs have a budget of 50 million plus? Maybe go find the figures & I think you’ll be in for a big surprise. This type of talk was bandied about to deny tassie previously and when it was highlighted that some clubs don’t meet this imaginary threshold the AFL ran away from that statement.

It's also to do with no Melbourne supporters able to attend,the 3:20 start time,the game only been confirmed a week ago and GWS having no supporter base interstate.
The 3.20 start time shouldn't have been too big of a factor on this occassion due to the Public holiday in Tasmania the following day.

The 3.20 start time shouldn't have been too big of a factor on this occassion due to the Public holiday in Tasmania the following day.
Work following day or not, no game in Tasmania in the middle of winter especially should finish later than 5pm

The city of Sydney has 5 Million people and Hobart has only 230,000 (less than Geelong) Launceston 110,000 the whole State has 541,000 or only a tenth of Sydney's population so no comparison.
On those figures alone a Tasmanian AFL club would struggle to be viable based on crowds possible without many millions in payments from the State Govt every year!A few more viewers in Tassie doesn't cut it either.
I also doubt the AFL would be happy propping them up like the do for GC and GWS!

Looks like AFL last night had 800k excluding Kayo which is a good result. Hopefully they look into scheduling more Sunday 7pm games in Perth next year on 7.

Looks like AFL last night had 800k excluding Kayo which is a good result. Hopefully they look into scheduling more Sunday 7pm games in Perth next year on 7.

Actually 960k excluding kayo. I for one would have watched the second half it I knew it was on 7.

Agree that Sunday nights before public holidays are a no brainer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually 960k excluding kayo. I for one would have watched the second half it I knew it was on 7.

Agree that Sunday nights before public holidays are a no brainer
Ah cheers, I thought the 600k for 7 was low, didn't realise it was missing regionals. That's like double what they'd get for a 3pm game.

Ah cheers, I thought the 600k for 7 was low, didn't realise it was missing regionals. That's like double what they'd get for a 3pm game.

Always been the case. This, along with Monday nights, is one of those things that people who say "its all about the broadcast money" forget the AFL gave up to appeal to attendances.

Theres never been a financial logic to having overlapping games, or less night games, or the lack of foxtel exclusivity in non victorian matches, or not moving to a night grand final. when giving up all those things would yield more ratings and more money from broadcasters.

Crowd looks great at the SCG. 22k tickets sold according to the commentary. Doesnt look that many but still very healthy.
They did a smart move by placing most of the crowd on the non camera side. Saw a twitter photo where it looked liked the members stand was mostly full (which is on the camera side).

It's well documented that both the Titans and GCU had home games which had free entry.
It's hardly a state secret.
Now I'm sure both the Suns and Giants have given away free tickets at various times, but to my knowledge, I am not aware of either ever making their home games completely free to all comers.
If it's well documented just post the link, as i can't find the link to back up your claim

Crowd looks great at the SCG. 22k tickets sold according to the commentary. Doesnt look that many but still very healthy.
It will be intresting to see the posted crowd for the scg match as the nrl match today only bought 17k.

Probably highlights an issue for the nrl as so much effort is put into drawing attention to the SOO games that it leaves no real marquee fixtures to market for the regular nrl season.

Collingwood d Melbourne 16,453 Sydney Cricket Ground

West Coast Eagles d Richmond 50,834 Optus Stadium

North Melbourne dr GWS Giants 3,462 Blundstone Arena

Adelaide Crows d St Kilda 5,969 Cazalys Stadium

Fremantle d Gold Coast Suns 27,318 Optus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back