Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pull your finger out Kangaroos! Seriously market the games better!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well it's a tough sell for a team with no travelling fans (GWS) and Victorians also unable to attend along with a 3:20 start time and tickets only going on sale a few days ago.

Well it's a tough sell for a team with no travelling fans (GWS) and Victorians also unable to attend along with a 3:20 start time and tickets only going on sale a few days ago.
I would doubt there would be box office sales as well. late sales, iffy weather, closed box office(?), closed the border to Vic, and GWS. whatever crowd does turn up, it will be a mark that will be tough to match. The Gold Coast in 2 weeks will give it a test though.

I am sure people will use it as a stick to say we don't deserve a team. ignoring the fact that when we did turn up, the AFL ignored us anyway. That reason for attending is long long gone. I see North tried to peddle that line in the paper today. But Look at Perth, they got 50K for a match. Good for them. Now, I wonder if they would turn up to a North v GWS match in the same numbers. If Hawthorn v Essendon gets played in Launny, you would see a much stronger crowd.

I would doubt there would be box office sales as well. late sales, iffy weather, closed box office(?), closed the border to Vic, and GWS. whatever crowd does turn up, it will be a mark that will be tough to match. The Gold Coast in 2 weeks will give it a test though.

I am sure people will use it as a stick to say we don't deserve a team. ignoring the fact that when we did turn up, the AFL ignored us anyway. That reason for attending is long long gone. I see North tried to peddle that line in the paper today. But Look at Perth, they got 50K for a match. Good for them. Now, I wonder if they would turn up to a North v GWS match in the same numbers. If Hawthorn v Essendon gets played in Launny, you would see a much stronger crowd.
Yes well Essendon have a big supporter base in tasmania and for some reason they never schedule 3:20 games in Launceston.It is interesting to see that Tasmania has 6000 North members yet we can't even get that to a game,this will probably be the lowest AFL crowd this season but not surprising at all.

But Look at Perth, they got 50K for a match. Good for them. Now, I wonder if they would turn up to a North v GWS match in the same numbers. If Hawthorn v Essendon gets played in Launny, you would see a much stronger crowd.

Remember that Syd v GWS at Perth last year still got 6,500 people for a Thursday night when it was raining and when COVID was still going strong. They also got 12,500 for Haw v Car starting at 3.30pm on a Friday arvo with most people still at work!

Adelaide's TV ratings this weekend have been appaling. less than 60k for a friday night game, and less than 100k watching a crows match on Channel 7. For an AFL state, those are seriously weak figures. I remember 2-3 years ago where the crows were getting almost 200k per match in Adelaide.

Adelaide's TV ratings this weekend have been appaling. less than 60k for a friday night game, and less than 100k watching a crows match on Channel 7. For an AFL state, those are seriously weak figures. I remember 2-3 years ago where the crows were getting almost 200k per match in Adelaide.

They werent getting 200k per match. and it would have been a rare showdown that even reached that high.

Two years ago, 2019 - In Adelaide, the highest rating game was Round 8s Showdown with 187,000 viewers. The second Showdown rated only 4th with 170,000 viewers. A total of 8.28 million viewers watched the AFL in Adelaide in 2019 at an average of 92,000 viewers per game. Viewers watched Crows games at an average of 133,000 per game, while Power games averaged 105,000. Matches featuring neither side rated an average of just over 70,000 per game. Foxtel viewership in Adelaide in 2017 averaged 21,000 per game.

Three years ago, 2018 - In adelaide, the average rating for all games was 95,000. One of the Showdowns was the highest rating game in Adelaide at 183,000.

They werent getting 200k per match. and it would have been a rare showdown that even reached that high.

Two years ago, 2019 - In Adelaide, the highest rating game was Round 8s Showdown with 187,000 viewers. The second Showdown rated only 4th with 170,000 viewers. A total of 8.28 million viewers watched the AFL in Adelaide in 2019 at an average of 92,000 viewers per game. Viewers watched Crows games at an average of 133,000 per game, while Power games averaged 105,000. Matches featuring neither side rated an average of just over 70,000 per game. Foxtel viewership in Adelaide in 2017 averaged 21,000 per game.

Three years ago, 2018 - In adelaide, the average rating for all games was 95,000. One of the Showdowns was the highest rating game in Adelaide at 183,000.
Very strange for SA????

Very strange for SA????
It simply isn't that big of a city, where the in-person and media passion for their two teams reflect concentrated support for the team that doesn't necessarily spread out into the city's (relatively small) wider population. There's nothing really wrong with that.

Definitely looking like a record low afl crowd in Hobart today but to be expected considering the circumstances unfortunately.

I agree with that and to think we may have two more games over the next two weekends including one against Gold Coast,its going to be worrying.
It’s not the Kangaroos fault, they probably had nearly 2,000 of their fans there. No Giants fans. The neutrals couldn’t be stuffed. Tassie simply needs its own team. Issue is it may not be able to generate $40M annually to be sustainable. It’s a conundrum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, both the NRL and A-League have been known to open up the gates to games on the Gold Coast.
In the case of the A-League, they still struggled to attract 2,000, even though Gold Coast United actually finished 3rd in their first two seasons.
When Gold Coast United opened up the gates for a free entry match they got 10K in, before the game was called off due to rain early in the 1st half.

They had an average of 4K for their 2 seasons.

It’s not the Kangaroos fault, they probably had nearly 2,000 of their fans there. No Giants fans. The neutrals couldn’t be stuffed. Tassie simply needs its own team. Issue is it may not be able to generate $40M annually to be sustainable. It’s a conundrum.
Not to mention huge player retention problems as well.

Actually, both the NRL and A-League have been known to open up the gates to games on the Gold Coast.
In the case of the A-League, they still struggled to attract 2,000, even though Gold Coast United actually finished 3rd in their first two seasons.
How you got the link back up your claim, yes or no?

Yep. A terrible crowd. However it reflects more on Tasmania’s appetite to support a Victorian side playing games in Hobart as opposed to the Kangaroos relative support in my opinion.
It's also to do with no Melbourne supporters able to attend,the 3:20 start time,the game only been confirmed a week ago and GWS having no supporter base interstate.

When Gold Coast United opened up the gates for a free entry match they got 10K in, before the game was called off due to rain early in the 1st half.

They had an average of 4K for their 2 seasons.

Firstly, they were in the comp for 3 seasons.
In their final two seasons, they averaged 3,400 (according to Ultimate A-League), although not even A-League fans believe that they were getting that many to home games.
On TV, both ends, and the outer wing, were completely empty. Like, I'm not talking about a spread out crowd, I'm talking not a single soul being visible on the screen, apart from the players and officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back