Position 2021 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Kenties :moustache: looking at Short at D2 or D3 but wondering why he hasn't been a relevant scorer until last year? Clearly the number 1 rebound Tiger now but a bit worried about his scoring history. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Also how did Luke McDonald go in the trial game the other day? Is he still collecting the salt and vinegars?

2018 was a breakout year and took average to 85.8. 2019 he was injured round 3 and never recovered form.

2020 he was used as a distributor because of his penetrating kicking, and was also more mobile around the ground. Houli's absence helped and by the end of the season Houli was his decoy. Not afraid to go after the hard ball and, as part of a well oiled machine, his disposals by hand and foot are usually effective. Excellent at 40 metre kicks which counts a lot at SC. If he can increase his t.o.g. (typically spent first few minutes on the bench) expect another spike as he is still young.

McDonald's disposal looked panicked and shouse on the the bits I saw. Ziebell took some intercepts and some reasonable kicks, also some not so good. North need a speedy small defender. Maybe just forget that match.

Looked absolutely garbage. Wait are we talking about his head or his footy skills?

Sounds like they're one in the same.

I doubt hes relevant but Kyron Hayden (def 280k) played mid against st kilda yesterday.
20 touches 7 clearances.
First time hes played the position in 2.5 years.
Noble has stated he wants to try hayden in the mids.
He would have been in our best few players. North did have a lot of mids out. I just thought id mention him.

Last edited:
How did Harmes go today?
From what I saw (not the whole game), he was back in his mid/high half forward role. Probably a 90 odd score, had a few turnovers but was in and under and plenty of tackles. 🔐

From what I saw (not the whole game), he was back in his mid/high half forward role. Probably a 90 odd score, had a few turnovers but was in and under and plenty of tackles. 🔐

I have him in my team but will be one of the first I will be looking to upgrade I can't see him being a keeper especially once Viney & Brayshaw come back.

Saints fans, Hunter Clark genuine option? Had him most of last year and im not sure if I should do it again...

Saints fans, Hunter Clark genuine option? Had him most of last year and im not sure if I should do it again...

Most Saints fans would want to see a 70/30 mid/half back split for Hunter. But there's been no confirmation from coaches apart from "yes we plan to rotate Clark more through the midfield this year, as well as playing half back" which doesn't exactly strike me with confidence that he's going to become a midfielder primarily in 2021. He'll spend more time than last year in the middle, but will it be enough to jump his average to 95-100+? I'm not sure, it could be more like 50/50.

Plenty of CBAs yesterday but Jones and Gresham were both missing, who would probably both be slightly ahead of him in the CBA pecking order after Steele and Crouch. He's a decent option but I'd personally want more confirmation on his mid/def split. Some good signs for him include Sinclair being utilised off HB this pre-season and impressing, while Ross has been rotating to the HBF more often as well (and Clark taking 7 more CBA's than Ross yesterday is probably a decent sign that we'd prefer Clark in there). But Gresham and Jones both missing doesn't allow for as clear a picture as we'd like.

Jones is expected to be back for round 1 and Gresham is being managed but hopefully we see him in the game next week. Crouch will miss the first 2 weeks which should be good for Clark's midfield time, but it will surely regress when Crouch is back in the team at round 3.

Coffield is also a decent option at basically the same price and he's settled into that rebounding DEF role, I can see him making another jump this year. I haven't gone with either of them though, for me it's worth forking out an extra 30k for Williams or Duggan who we can be sure will play vast majority of time in the midfield. The same certainty can't be said for Clark at this stage I don't think, but hopefully they realise the sooner they get him in there for 70% of his TOG the better, because he's seriously all class and is a point of difference.

Most Saints fans would want to see a 70/30 mid/half back split for Hunter. But there's been no confirmation from coaches apart from "yes we plan to rotate Clark more through the midfield this year, as well as playing half back" which doesn't exactly strike me with confidence that he's going to become a midfielder primarily in 2021. He'll spend more time than last year in the middle, but will it be enough to jump his average to 95-100+? I'm not sure, it could be more like 50/50.

Plenty of CBAs yesterday but Jones and Gresham were both missing, who would probably both be slightly ahead of him in the CBA pecking order after Steele and Crouch. He's a decent option but I'd personally want more confirmation on his mid/def split. Some good signs for him include Sinclair being utilised off HB this pre-season and impressing, while Ross has been rotating to the HBF more often as well (and Clark taking 7 more CBA's than Ross yesterday is probably a decent sign that we'd prefer Clark in there). But Gresham and Jones both missing doesn't allow for as clear a picture as we'd like.

Jones is expected to be back for round 1 and Gresham is being managed but hopefully we see him in the game next week. Crouch will miss the first 2 weeks which should be good for Clark's midfield time, but it will surely regress when Crouch is back in the team at round 3.

Coffield is also a decent option at basically the same price and he's settled into that rebounding DEF role, I can see him making another jump this year. I haven't gone with either of them though, for me it's worth forking out an extra 30k for Williams or Duggan who we can be sure will play vast majority of time in the midfield. The same certainty can't be said for Clark at this stage I don't think, but hopefully they realise the sooner they get him in there for 70% of his TOG the better, because he's seriously all class and is a point of difference.
Thanks for the detailed response. No doubt, Clark will be a supercoach star in years to come, but there probably is better ways to spend the money for now. Thanks

This wouldn’t be great on the Harmes front, would it?
Viney and Brayshaw scheduled to return and his CBAs without them weren’t great.
Or was his game time managed?
Haven’t seen any footage yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we had a 'game plan' on this guy, IMF.

You're killing me bro
Omg i forgot he was a pod. I'll shut up from now on. Only 4% atm, if he stays below 7-8 I'll be really happy

Not sure if this has been said anywhere.

But is anyone considering Ben McEvoy?
456k defender/ruck, Hawks have said he’ll primarily play ruck this year, should be good for 95+ in that role

Now the captain and he can go large on his days. SC reflecting great scoring for sole ruckman of which I think he will be one.

456k defender/ruck, Hawks have said he’ll primarily play ruck this year, should be good for 95+ in that role

Now the captain and he can go large on his days. SC reflecting great scoring for sole ruckman of which I think he will be one.

What will happen to Ceglar?

I think more than likely Hawks will persist with Big boy in defence, and Ceglar will be the #1 ruck.

Houli was the main guy and Short never found form in 2019 after injuries.

The torch was well and truly passed last year, even with Houli on the field Richmond looked for Short most times.

Houli is still cooked, the new rules enhance his style and Richmond will be back at the open MCG this year - :padlock:
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back