2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

Well looks like we got a new Qualifying format for a few races this season.....and apparently all the teams agreed to it??

Well looks like we got a new Qualifying format for a few races this season.....and apparently all the teams agreed to it??

Certainly makes the Friday more interesting.

Happy to see them try new things, as long as they acknowledge and react if it doesn't work like the previous Quali format.

Yeah, not sure I'm sold on this as all I think this will lead to is the grid closing up instead of opening up.

Right now if you're in one of the top 2/3 cars (Merc, RBR) and you make a mistake in Q3, you have to fight your way back during the regular GP.
But with this new format you have a 15-20 lap "sprint" race to get back your position against cars that are generally inferior over the course of a race, so those "out of position" starts for RBR/MERC will happen even less now come Sunday's race.

Open to the idea of a sprint race, but not sure if its going to produce the results people are expecting....in saying that, still interested in watching how it all pans out.

Strongly opposed with changing the fundamentals mid season - is this a top level sport, or a wwe style entertainment 'product'?
This is an AFL Forum, changing rules should be familiar to everyone ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oops. Series 3. Was disappointed with final episode seemed a tad manufactured .. the battle for third place. Overall though it was a good watch.
The battle for third place was really the only exciting thing about the last race. After all the top two was tied up weeks before. Putting Renault in as a chance was stretching it.
Really enjoyed Hamilton’s interview at the end of the episode. Really gave an insight into his motivation in speaking out.

So we’ll get a qualifying session to determine grid positions for a race that determines grid positions for the actual race.

More racing is fun but seems overkill.

I used to like the 1 hot lap qualifying they used to do 15 years ago.

So we’ll get a qualifying session to determine grid positions for a race that determines grid positions for the actual race.

Me too but I think the drivers and teams combined to kill it off because a small mistake could completely ruin a race weekend - although viewers would certainly like the unpredictability of grids. Personally I'd also tone down the effectiveness of DRS but everyone wants overtakes.

Me too but I think the drivers and teams combined to kill it off because a small mistake could completely ruin a race weekend - although viewers would certainly like the unpredictability of grids. Personally I'd also tone down the effectiveness of DRS but everyone wants overtakes.
Variable weather would make it an uneven contest at times.
Could you imagine the melts from certain drivers if they have to do their one hot lap just as it starts to rain...

Variable weather would make it an uneven contest at times.
Could you imagine the melts from certain drivers if they have to do their one hot lap just as it starts to rain...

For us we'd love mixed up grids, but for those who are paid to perform on race day it would be infuriating.

Yeah my favourite qualifying as well. If your best driver earn it. No second chances. I get the argument about weather though would be very rare now I suspect

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think distance is also an issue for Melbourne.
As the opener, it’s no contest. Nice relaxed entry to the season.
As a late, late season race, sandwiched between other races, it’s still the “arse end of the world”.
More people watch the opening race of the season too, which circumvents the time difference. Australia is a tiny F1 market, the opening race, or final race as it was... Is the way it survives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back