List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:

STAR GIANT TO HOLD OFF CONTRACT TALKS

Giants midfielder Jacob Hopper is in no rush to re-sign with the club and will hold off contract talks until the end of the season.

Senior foxfooty.com.au writer Tom Morris reported the out-of-contract on-baller is happy to wait until later in the year to ramp up discussions, where he then expects the 24-year old to recommit to GWS.

Morris said Hopper would eventually sign a new two-year deal, which would take him through to free agency in 2023.

“Even though interest will come for him across the next eight weeks, he’s quite happy to wait I’m told,” Morris said on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“The Giants clearly want to keep him, they really rate him. They see him as someone to build around for their midfield along with Tim Taranto and Tom Green over the next few years.

“But I don’t think he’s going to sign anytime soon. I think if it does come, and I expect it will come, it will be right at the very end of the year. It will be two years, it will take him to free agency.

“He’s such an important player for them, I’d suggest that he’d be in for a fairly big pay rise as well if his form continues.”

Hopper is enjoying a superb season for the Giants, averaging a career-best 27.4 disposals and 6.2 clearances from 11 games.

Western Sydney’s James Peatling has been rewarded for his perseverance by being taken by the GIANTS in the 2021 NAB AFL mid-season draft at pick eight.

Having been overlooked in two drafts, Peatling’s VFL performances for the GIANTS has seen the Pennant Hills product added to list for the rest of the 2021 season. Peatling has been a standout for the GIANTS in the VFL so far this season with the 20-year old becoming the club’s first ever mid-season draftee. The Toongabbie product has played all five VFL games as a midfielder and half back this season, averaging 22 possessions.

He also had a season high 33-disposals in the most recent game against Port Melbourne at Blacktown International Sportspark. GIANTS General Manager Football Jason McCartney said it’s another significant signing for the growth of the game in Western Sydney.

STAR GIANT TO HOLD OFF CONTRACT TALKS

Giants midfielder Jacob Hopper is in no rush to re-sign with the club and will hold off contract talks until the end of the season.

Senior foxfooty.com.au writer Tom Morris reported the out-of-contract on-baller is happy to wait until later in the year to ramp up discussions, where he then expects the 24-year old to recommit to GWS.

Morris said Hopper would eventually sign a new two-year deal, which would take him through to free agency in 2023.

“Even though interest will come for him across the next eight weeks, he’s quite happy to wait I’m told,” Morris said on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“The Giants clearly want to keep him, they really rate him. They see him as someone to build around for their midfield along with Tim Taranto and Tom Green over the next few years.

“But I don’t think he’s going to sign anytime soon. I think if it does come, and I expect it will come, it will be right at the very end of the year. It will be two years, it will take him to free agency.

“He’s such an important player for them, I’d suggest that he’d be in for a fairly big pay rise as well if his form continues.”

Hopper is enjoying a superb season for the Giants, averaging a career-best 27.4 disposals and 6.2 clearances from 11 games.

I suspect the wait would have as much to do with what contract they could offer once the dust settles regarding others.

I have heard mail that North & JK are back in talks.

Regardless of what eventuates, I reckon your club is currently doing an A grade job of this current "mini-rebuild", and you have good reason to be optimistic.

Where do you folks see the giants going with their KPF mix?

Do you see them settling long term on Himmelberg & Finlayson, or do you reckon they will hit up a kid like Williams/Van Rooyen in the draft?

Trade?

Where do you folks see the giants going with their KPF mix?

Do you see them settling long term on Himmelberg & Finlayson, or do you reckon they will hit up a kid like Williams/Van Rooyen in the draft?

Trade?
I think that Himmelberg and Finlayson will be part of the long term plan. Hopefully with Hogan.

I'd be surprised if we traded for a key forward unless Hogan is no longer an option (leaves or has chronic injury)

Not sure what they'll do with the draft wise. I suspect they'll pick who they see best available with the Collingwood pick which is looking very likely to be top 5, hopefully it stays at 3.

With the second pick in the first round they may look at filling a need.

I think that Himmelberg and Finlayson will be part of the long term plan. Hopefully with Hogan.

I'd be surprised if we traded for a key forward unless Hogan is no longer an option (leaves or has chronic injury)

Not sure what they'll do with the draft wise. I suspect they'll pick who they see best available with the Collingwood pick which is looking very likely to be top 5, hopefully it stays at 3.

With the second pick in the first round they may look at filling a need.

Cheers.

Conversely, with Davis getting on, a kid like Gibcus might be in their plans.

I definitely think they will grab at least one true KPF with the 2 x 1st round picks. If it ends up being 3 picks, then they might even look at 2 of them.

We definitely need Key Defender with Davis looking broken and Keefe is heading into his later years.
Probably the one spot we are struggling with, yes even taking into account we have probably one of the best in Taylor.
I think that we probably turn Riccardi into a defender and pick one in a draft shortly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sensationalist headline but that gets the clicks and it will be good to see how they go this year depending on what opportunities they get

6 names and Frost is a defender as well I think and then Driscoll is a ruck i remember from an article earlier this year

Josh Fahey (Giants Academy)
Sam Frost (Giants Academy)
Harrison Grintell (Giants Academy)
Josh Green (Giants Academy)
Paddy Voss (Giants Academy)
Jack Driscoll (Giants Academy)

Sensationalist headline but that gets the clicks and it will be good to see how they go this year depending on what opportunities they get

6 names and Frost is a defender as well I think and then Driscoll is a ruck i remember from an article earlier this year

Josh Fahey (Giants Academy)
Sam Frost (Giants Academy)
Harrison Grintell (Giants Academy)
Josh Green (Giants Academy)
Paddy Voss (Giants Academy)
Jack Driscoll (Giants Academy)
Yep, Frost exclusively CHB (takes kickouts for our academy side though), Driscoll a Ruck but has played as a KPD and KPF before as well.

Grintell in and under mid, Green big bodied mid that can play as a target up forward or in defense, don't think either of those 4 get drafted personally. Voss as a medium forward with some genuine aggression might be a late chance if we wanted to go local, and of course Fahey is the main name to watch for in the backline, the champs is his chance to well and truly confirm himself as the best medium defender in the pool.

Voss as a medium forward with some genuine aggression might be a late chance if we wanted to go local
Did his chances no harm today with a role change to see him line up in the backline, looked very good, like a more physical but less skilled Fahey even. Rotated through the midfield as well and his pure aggression is ridiculously hard to match

Did his chances no harm today with a role change to see him line up in the backline, looked very good, like a more physical but less skilled Fahey even. Rotated through the midfield as well and his pure aggression is ridiculously hard to match
To follow up on this, if anyone has access to the game via Herald Sun, he delivered one of the best stiff arms I've ever seen, right in front of me, in the second quarter, where he just flattened the kid in front of him with it

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...rap-dashing-half-back-sam-frost-impresses-gws

Brief mention on Academy player Sam Frost and the NT games

Depends where he's going, but I can't see a situation where matching the bid and forcing a trade wouldn't be the way to go. North probably don't hand over Pick 1, it's be great if they did but I'd also take next years first and this years second (Fahey points), early on but liking the look of next year, some good talls and some different types of mids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back