List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
One of those wasn't on the list consecutively through all those years though...

Although I guess at least one of Carlton's players wasn't either.
If we are measuring loyalty, he was with us the whole time in various roles.

GWS Giants, Sydney Swans news: Brent Daniels re-signs on four-year contract extension
He’s the country boy making it in the big city and Brent Daniels loves it so much, he’s re-signed with the Giants on a long-term deal.

Marc McGowan

The country boy known as ‘Binga’ has committed to four more years in Australia’s most bustling city.
Brent Daniels – a key piece of Greater Western Sydney’s forward line – has followed Giants teammates Toby Greene, Lachie Ash and Lachie Keeffe in inking a fresh deal.

Josh Kelly and Jacob Hopper remain the club’s most coveted out-of-contract players.

Daniels’ new four-year contract removes any doubt about his playing future, after there was some rival interest in the Geelong Grammar and Bendigo Pioneers graduate.

“I’m a country bloke, I’ve always considered myself to be pretty loyal and the club’s given me every opportunity to succeed,” Daniels told The Daily Telegraph.

“I thought it was the right time to do it and I really like the direction we’re going in and have made some great mates up here.

“I’m really starting to love Sydney and make some great connections, so I didn’t have any reason to leave.”

Daniels, 22, is one of a large number of prominent Giants who are sidelined, with a second left hamstring injury for the year set to keep him out until about Round 14.

He was annoyed to suffer another soft-tissue setback, after that not being a problem in the past, but was even more emotive about superstar teammate Toby Greene’s right shoulder fracture.

“It’s shattering, because he’s been in unbelievable form and is so important for us,” Daniels said.

“But as much as it sucks at the time, it gives others a chance to play and we have a really young team at the moment.”

Daniels tipped four-gamer Conor Stone as the potential beneficiary of Greene’s misfortune, but also suggested midfielder Tim Taranto’s forward time could spike in the absence of the gun goalkicker.

Either way, Daniels – a keen fisherman and golfer – was bullish about GWS returning to the finals for the first time since their 2019 Grand Final defeat.

The enthusiasm of the lightly played youngsters who’ve helped resurrect the Giants’ season in the past six weeks was “infectious”, he said.

“I see no reason we can’t play finals footy,” Daniels said.

“We had a down year last year, but we’ve played some really good footy this season and only let ourselves down in a couple of games.

“We play a really good brand that stands up (against the best teams), so who knows what might happen when we get there?”

Awesome!!!!

Last edited:

I love that we're still able to retain the guys we want to retain...

Edit: whoa, four year deal. I might have to get his number on my next jersey - I love watching him run through the middle.

I love that we're still able to retain the guys we want to retain...

Edit: whoa, four year deal. I might have to get his number on my next jersey - I love watching him run through the middle.
One of my favorites too

One of those wasn't on the list consecutively through all those years though...

Although I guess at least one of Carlton's players wasn't either.

Also, there’s arguably a player with a longer (though not continuous) connection with the club : Daniel Lloyd played in the red, white and blue of “Team GWS“ in the 2010 TAC Cup team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking that a good combo for us with the two top 10 picks is going to be Josh Gibcus, I've got my heart set on a Key Defender and I have little doubt that he'll be the best from this pool, one that can impact in offense without sacrificing defense, and Finn Callaghan, crafty midfielder from Sandringham Dragons who can play inside and out, has a really good penetrative kick and bursts away from opponents well, he'd be a good one to inject into our side given the contested mids that lack speed brigade we have

I'm thinking that a good combo for us with the two top 10 picks is going to be Josh Gibcus, I've got my heart set on a Key Defender and I have little doubt that he'll be the best from this pool, one that can impact in offense without sacrificing defense, and Finn Callaghan, crafty midfielder from Sandringham Dragons who can play inside and out, has a really good penetrative kick and bursts away from opponents well, he'd be a good one to inject into our side given the contested mids that lack speed brigade we have
Our young key defenders are really coming on. Buckley is starting to look really promising, Taylor a jet and Idun is better every week. Riccardi from a small sample size looks good too.
I'd just pick best available, if that is Gibcus great.
The one I'd like most at this stage from my reading of others opinions is Sonsie.

GEELONG FALCONS 10.11 (71) def. by GWS GIANTS ACADEMY 11.6 (72)

IN A SENTENCE:

The GWS Giants Academy trailed all game, but snuck in front with just under five minutes left on the clock to snatch a remarkable one-point win over the Geelong Falcons.

TEAM STATS:

• Geelong Falcons won the disposals (302-283), marks (75-58) and scoring shots (21-17)
  • Giants Academy won the rebound 50s (38-32)
KEY PLAYERS:

• Noah Gribble (Geelong Falcons) 36 disposals, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 6 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 1 goal
  • Gennaro Bove (Geelong Falcons) 20 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 2 goals
  • Josh Sorgiovanni (Geelong Falcons) 20 disposals, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 1 goal
  • Harry Grintell (Giants Academy) 12 disposals, 9 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 3 goals
  • Sam Frost (Giants Academy) 27 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 12 rebound 50s
  • Maximus Monaghan (Giants Academy) 22 disposals, 6 marks, 8 tackles, 2 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 1 goal
DC MEDAL VOTES:

5 – Harry Grintell (Giants Academy)
4 – Sam Frost (Giants Academy)
3 – Noah Gribble (Geelong Falcons)
2 – Maximus Monaghan (Giants Academy)
1 – Gennaro Bove (Geelong Falcons)

NEXT UP:

GWS Academy vs. Murray Bushrangers @ Albury Sports Ground, 1:00pm on Saturday May 29

#1 Harry Grintell

Ended up being the match-winner with three last quarter goals to help his side over the line. Spending time in the midfield then going forward to be that damaging player close to goal, Grintell really came alive in the final term after a quiet game to-date. His first goal came from a free kick nine minutes in, then responded to the Falcons’ major with a quick-fire goal two minutes later, then kicked the winning goal late in the game after running hard towards a bouncing ball, getting boot to ball in a flash to snap it through.

#19 Maximus Monaghan

Was arguably the GIANTS’ most eye-catching midfielder, working well at the stoppages and even sliding in to take a mark in the second term and converting the set shot. He applied plenty of defensive pressure and showed some nice moves out of congestion with clever sidestepping. He was able to adjust his kick mid-run which was impressive and overall had an impact for his team.

#21 Fraser Kelly

Kicked a couple of goals from 12 touches and only the two kicks. He kicked a very clever goal from 50m that caught the eye and bounced through well, then took a strong contested grab in the fourth term and nailed the set shot from 15m out. One moment he had that really caught the eye was his ability to win the ball at the coal face, and hold off delivering the handball until the second option which he did well to execute perfectly.

#24 Sam Frost

His defensive work was really impressive, gobbling up anything that came his way and then offered himself up as a rebounding option. His disposal at times was a concern, turning over a number of touches including one not under pressure. However his work without the ball and an ability to rebound out of the back 50 was a real highlight, as Frost picked up 12 rebounds – nine more than any other player on his team and served as an anchor back there.

#30 Brad Rauter

Another defender who had some great defensive work but just needed to sharpen his disposal, Rauter stood up well against pressure and was able to often win contests against multiple opponents. He laid a great tackle after trapping the ball in against an opponent – and beating another – to win a free kick, but unfortunately turned over the kick. He took some good marks and had some solid moments as a whole.

#31 Josh Green

Constantly involved inside 50 and always looked liked a damaging forward, he kicked an early major for the GIANTS dribbling one home from the behind post. He kicked his second in the third term with a snap around his body to cut the deficit to five points at that stage. He was always lively, pushing up and down the ground and racking up some big numbers rotating through the midfield and laying some big tackles. Possibly the more impressive aspect was his ability to get up the ground then get it inside 50.

IN A SENTENCE:

The GWS Giants Academy trailed all game, but snuck in front with just under five minutes left on the clock to snatch a remarkable one-point win over the Geelong Falcons.

TEAM STATS:

• Geelong Falcons won the disposals (302-283), marks (75-58) and scoring shots (21-17)
KEY PLAYERS:

• Noah Gribble (Geelong Falcons) 36 disposals, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 6 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 1 goal
  • Gennaro Bove (Geelong Falcons) 20 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 2 goals
  • Josh Sorgiovanni (Geelong Falcons) 20 disposals, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 1 goal
  • Harry Grintell (Giants Academy) 12 disposals, 9 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 3 goals
  • Maximus Monaghan (Giants Academy) 22 disposals, 6 marks, 8 tackles, 2 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 1 goal
DC MEDAL VOTES:

NEXT UP:

GWS Academy vs. Murray Bushrangers @ Albury Sports Ground, 1:00pm on Saturday May 29

#1 Harry Grintell

Ended up being the match-winner with three last quarter goals to help his side over the line. Spending time in the midfield then going forward to be that damaging player close to goal, Grintell really came alive in the final term after a quiet game to-date. His first goal came from a free kick nine minutes in, then responded to the Falcons’ major with a quick-fire goal two minutes later, then kicked the winning goal late in the game after running hard towards a bouncing ball, getting boot to ball in a flash to snap it through.

#19 Maximus Monaghan

Was arguably the GIANTS’ most eye-catching midfielder, working well at the stoppages and even sliding in to take a mark in the second term and converting the set shot. He applied plenty of defensive pressure and showed some nice moves out of congestion with clever sidestepping. He was able to adjust his kick mid-run which was impressive and overall had an impact for his team.

#21 Fraser Kelly

Kicked a couple of goals from 12 touches and only the two kicks. He kicked a very clever goal from 50m that caught the eye and bounced through well, then took a strong contested grab in the fourth term and nailed the set shot from 15m out. One moment he had that really caught the eye was his ability to win the ball at the coal face, and hold off delivering the handball until the second option which he did well to execute perfectly.

#24 Sam Frost

His defensive work was really impressive, gobbling up anything that came his way and then offered himself up as a rebounding option. His disposal at times was a concern, turning over a number of touches including one not under pressure. However his work without the ball and an ability to rebound out of the back 50 was a real highlight, as Frost picked up 12 rebounds – nine more than any other player on his team and served as an anchor back there.

#30 Brad Rauter

Another defender who had some great defensive work but just needed to sharpen his disposal, Rauter stood up well against pressure and was able to often win contests against multiple opponents. He laid a great tackle after trapping the ball in against an opponent – and beating another – to win a free kick, but unfortunately turned over the kick. He took some good marks and had some solid moments as a whole.

#31 Josh Green

Constantly involved inside 50 and always looked liked a damaging forward, he kicked an early major for the GIANTS dribbling one home from the behind post. He kicked his second in the third term with a snap around his body to cut the deficit to five points at that stage. He was always lively, pushing up and down the ground and racking up some big numbers rotating through the midfield and laying some big tackles. Possibly the more impressive aspect was his ability to get up the ground then get it inside 50.
Given the falcons history of producing quality players that is a big result

Given the falcons history of producing quality players that is a big result
The Falcons are battling it out for bottom of the ladder this year, really we should be winning by more, but we'll forgive it woth Fahey out

The Falcons are battling it out for bottom of the ladder this year, really we should be winning by more, but we'll forgive it woth Fahey out
How have we fared traditionally against the NAB teams.

IN A SENTENCE:

TEAM STATS:

KEY PLAYERS:

DC MEDAL VOTES:

NEXT UP:

#1 Harry Grintell

#19 Maximus Monaghan

#21 Fraser Kelly

#24 Sam Frost

#30 Brad Rauter

#31 Josh Green

Maximus Monaghan. ..what a great name. With a name like that I hope he gets to AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back