List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
No idea where to put this. It’s kind of a re-signing as we don’t have elections as such

Must admit I loathe Tony Shepherd’s politics - a cancer on society - but there is absolutely no doubting his commitment to the club and the work he has done getting to where we are, so whilst I don’t rejoice at his reappointment, I am not entirely unhappy.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Must admit I loathe Tony Shepherd’s politics - a cancer on society - but there is absolutely no doubting his commitment to the club and the work he has done getting to where we are, so whilst I don’t rejoice at his reappointment, I am not entirely unhappy.

Kinda hoping we, soon, end up allowing members to vote on possibly 2 of the 6 board members. Gives us some say.

Ppollen

Development Coach
Mar 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Giant Strides I think it was you who I had this discussion with last year

We still have right of refusal for Fahey come draft time, so I'm assuming the move to Queensland was temporary like a boarding school situation. I'm now obsessed with the thought of Fahey and Ash running off the back flank together

Found this for anyone interested. Josh Fahey sounds like a good bloke. Also sounds like he's pretty keen on the Giants too.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Certainly interesting to listen to that - but he doesn't actually explain how he's back in the Giants' Academy. He does explain that his father (a teacher) got his dream job at a Southport School (and that his mum was happy to leave the cold climate of Canberra) ... just not how his return to Canberra came about.

He does say that he came across from rugby league & union, which he played up until Under 14s, and seems to have developed fairly quickly. Also played cricket, so seems to be a natural sportsman. Very happy to go to Giants - and roundly praised various Giants' Academy coaching staff - but also said he's happy just to be drafted. That's 100% his goal - to get to an AFL club.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Certainly interesting to listen to that - but he doesn't actually explain how he's back in the Giants' Academy. He does explain that his father (a teacher) got his dream job at a Southport School (and that his mum was happy to leave the cold climate of Canberra) ... just not how his return to Canberra came about.

He does say that he came across from rugby league & union, which he played up until Under 14s, and seems to have developed fairly quickly. Also played cricket, so seems to be a natural sportsman. Very happy to go to Giants - and roundly praised various Giants' Academy coaching staff - but also said he's happy just to be drafted. That's 100% his goal - to get to an AFL club.
Any footage of him?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Any footage of him?
I haven't seen any that I recall, no. As an underager until this year, it's always less likely to see any footage, unless there's a glimpse in game footage (e.g. as an underager in a championship game). And of course last year's disruptions killed off a lot of chances that we might have had to see him in action.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
A couple of ex Academy players have been picked up before the season starts in Highmore and Nick Murray so interesting to see how they develop over the season
I was keen on Murray a couple of years ago as a developing key back and by the sounds he could be in for a rd 1 debut for the crows with Talia in doubt and Doedee ruled out, Highmore is also in line for a rd 1 debut for the Saints
Green at the Tigers is still training? or i think that is over and he hasnt been picked up and he will go back to the academy
Not sure on other ex academy players new on lists but good to see some are continuing development into higher levels of football

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
No movement on any re-signings which is not surprising given the climate and also the financial commitments the club has made going forward I think the club will hold off until some form has showed into the season although you would hope several players have contracts in front of them
Looking at the OOC list I have 4 tiers

Priority
Ash
Kelly
Hopper
Davis
Daniels
Riccardi

Form dependant
Hogan
Hutchesson
Flynn

Season end
Shipley
De Boer (Retire?)
Keefe (I think he gets 1 more year)
Rookies

Key defence is an area that needs to be considered as Davis and keefe are near the end and they must see something in Stein to keep him on the list but I see him and Fleeton as back ups more than anything and that is why it will be interesting to see how ex academy players Highmore and Murray perform

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
No movement on any re-signings which is not surprising given the climate and also the financial commitments the club has made going forward I think the club will hold off until some form has showed into the season although you would hope several players have contracts in front of them
Looking at the OOC list I have 4 tiers

Priority
Ash
Kelly
Hopper
Davis
Daniels
Riccardi

Form dependant
Hogan
Hutchesson
Flynn

Season end
Shipley
De Boer (Retire?)
Keefe (I think he gets 1 more year)
Rookies

Key defence is an area that needs to be considered as Davis and keefe are near the end and they must see something in Stein to keep him on the list but I see him and Fleeton as back ups more than anything and that is why it will be interesting to see how ex academy players Highmore and Murray perform
Interesting at the moment For sure. We can’t continue to keep getting younger. I reckon we need to recruit another key defender. I wish we would have picked up Allir.
If Hogan doesn’t work as a forward I’d love to see him tried in defence. He fits the age bracket and experience perfectly.
One thing we’ve learnt out of the Cogs situation is we absolutely have to stop paying overs to keep guys here. If they don’t want to stay, let them go.
If it means there’s an exodus, so be it. At least we’ll be able to build a list properly.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting at the moment For sure. We can’t continue to keep getting younger. I reckon we need to recruit another key defender. I wish we would have picked up Allir.
If Hogan doesn’t work as a forward I’d love to see him tried in defence. He fits the age bracket and experience perfectly.
One thing we’ve learnt out of the Cogs situation is we absolutely have to stop paying overs to keep guys here. If they don’t want to stay, let them go.
If it means there’s an exodus, so be it. At least we’ll be able to build a list properly.
Who is to say the next tier won't do the same thing when they hit their peak? Salary caps are designed to move players around the league... its working for most teams

Are you saying we paid overs for players? If so ... who? im arguing that we payed market value for cogs (even just under) to retain him. The reality of a salary cap is that players will want to be paid...and until GWS has the corporate pull and crowd numbers to compete with other clubs in the league.. we will always have the struggle of trying to keep players from chasing crowds, corporate partnerships and connections.

As far as hogan as a defender.. no thanks. The dockers tried that and it was horrible. If he can't make it as a forward with really young key position players competing for his spot... he won't have a contract next year.

We when signed cogs, the fans of other clubs complained that he only took unders because the AFL were topping up. He left $2.8 mil on the table.
Definitely not considered overs at the time. Quite the reverse in fact.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
We when signed cogs, the fans of other clubs complained that he only took unders because the AFL were topping up. He left $2.8 mil on the table.
Definitely not considered overs at the time. Quite the reverse in fact.
How much do you think he’s on?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Just under a mil per season was reported.
The highest offer reportedly was $1.4mil.
A number of clubs offered more than us.
That’s my point. Paying someone roughly $1M per season who has never been AA. That’s possibly more than Dangerfield is on. I understand we’ve been forced to pay overs in the first decade. Now I think it’s about time we stopped.
Josh Kelly’s a perfect starting point.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
That’s my point. Paying someone roughly $1M per season who has never been AA. That’s possibly more than Dangerfield is on. I understand we’ve been forced to pay overs in the first decade. Now I think it’s about time we stopped.

We were all happy about it at the time.
It isn’t overs when the competition was offering more to try and get him.
If at the end of this year he is still on 2020 form then I can understand the anger.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I cant really accept your argument hen the industry determined his value to be higher than that. Yes its a lot of money but its also less than what was on the table from some of those other clubs

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I cant really accept your argument hen the industry determined his value to be higher than that. Yes its a lot of money but its also less than what was on the table from some of those other clubs
I get that. My point is we need to stop overpaying players.

I get that. My point is we need to stop overpaying players.
Everyone else's point is that it's not overpaying a player if other clubs wanted to pay them more. It sounds like what you actually want is for us to re-sign fewer players.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
As we speak this is where I see the list at:

Definite's
Lachie Whitfield
Toby Greene
Nick Haynes
Sam Taylor
Brent Daniels
Stephen Coniglio
Harry Perryman
Harry Himmelberg
Phil Davis
Brayden Preuss
Jacob Hopper
Jake Riccardi
Callan Ward
Tom Green
Lachie Ash
Tanner Bruhn
Conor Stone
Ryan Angwin
Bobby Hill
Connor Idun
Jeremy Finlayson
Matthew Flynn
Daniel Lloyd
Cameron Fleeton (too early)
Will Shaw (too early)

Maybe
Matt De Boer (new style of footy doesn’t suit)
Isaac Cumming
Kieren Briggs
Jesse Hogan
Lachie Keeffe
Adam Kennedy

Trade
Josh Kelly (overrated)
Tim Taranto (slow ball butcher)
Kieren Briggs
Xavier O’Halloran

Delist
Shane Mumford
Sam Reid
Callum Brown
Jack Buckley
Matt Buntine
Tom Hutchesson
Nick Shipley
Zac Sproule
Jake Stein

I don’t know how realistic it is to move this amount of dead weight but honestly a lot of these guys are not AFL standard or never will be.

The team needs to move some blue chip players for collateral and admit to a full rebuild. Bring in a new coach, put a broom through management and start again or head to full basket case mode.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
As we speak this is where I see the list at:

Definite's
Lachie Whitfield
Toby Greene
Nick Haynes
Sam Taylor
Brent Daniels
Stephen Coniglio
Harry Perryman
Harry Himmelberg
Phil Davis
Brayden Preuss
Jacob Hopper
Jake Riccardi
Callan Ward
Tom Green
Lachie Ash
Tanner Bruhn
Conor Stone
Ryan Angwin
Bobby Hill
Connor Idun
Jeremy Finlayson
Matthew Flynn
Daniel Lloyd
Cameron Fleeton (too early)
Will Shaw (too early)

Maybe
Matt De Boer (new style of footy doesn’t suit)
Isaac Cumming
Kieren Briggs
Jesse Hogan
Lachie Keeffe
Adam Kennedy

Trade
Josh Kelly (overrated)
Tim Taranto (slow ball butcher)
Kieren Briggs
Xavier O’Halloran

Delist
Shane Mumford
Sam Reid
Callum Brown
Jack Buckley
Matt Buntine
Tom Hutchesson
Nick Shipley
Zac Sproule
Jake Stein

I don’t know how realistic it is to move this amount of dead weight but honestly a lot of these guys are not AFL standard or never will be.

The team needs to move some blue chip players for collateral and admit to a full rebuild. Bring in a new coach, put a broom through management and start again or head to full basket case mode.

Suspect if we don't rediscover how to play some decent footy it won't be about who we look to trade out but rather which ones we can manage to keep when were not a finals team. I would also certainly not look to trade out Briggs who is the first Sydneysider who is a chance to be best 22 within the next 2 years.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
CLUBS have been told they will regain the rights to Academy-tied over-age prospects in this season's NAB AFL Draft, should they not be recruited to a rival team during the upcoming Mid-Season Rookie Draft. The decision comes as a handful of clubs continue to monitor the development of athletic 202cm ruckman and Giants academy member Jack Driscoll, who will turn 19 next week and was among the standouts for the Murray Bushrangers in a NAB League practice match last month.

Also:
Discussions have opened for Greater Western Sydney's Lachie Ash (pick four) and Sydney's Dylan Stephens (pick five) although not progressed far.
Essendon jet racing to new deal, eyes on 202cm Academy Giant (afl.com.au)

Back