List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
What do people think about us retaining Kelly on the supposed big contract? Would you rather we keep him or free ourselves of such a big weight?
Personally I see him as a quality player who would be amazing in a strong side.
In a team that is rebuilding I see his influence as being less so.
So I think it depends on what we do at seasons end... if we recruit a few mature players we try and keep him. If we blood the younger players perhaps let him go.

If he ticks off on this deal that was previously agreed to do we have any choice

bossman111

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2008
Syd
AFL Club
GWS
No way he’s opting out

There’s a compo pick attached if he walks as well, makes it all the more attractive to try and get off the deal

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ideally, what would GWS want for Tom Green? He’s in and out of your team.

I honestly see him as the next big thing in AFL.

Is there something I’m missing?

What do people think about us retaining Kelly on the supposed big contract? Would you rather we keep him or free ourselves of such a big weight?
Personally I see him as a quality player who would be amazing in a strong side.
In a team that is rebuilding I see his influence as being less so.
So I think it depends on what we do at seasons end... if we recruit a few mature players we try and keep him. If we blood the younger players perhaps let him go.
I want him here. Definitely.

Can't see anyway we release him.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

All you're missing is that Leon is a fool but hopefully will be gone soon but clearly Tom is the future of the club

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Extended his contract already and a future captain. So nope.

bossman111

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2008
Syd
AFL Club
GWS
How do we think our academy is progressing? ~10 years and we have only produced two players from Western Sydney and from what I can gather not many more WS prospects coming through. Obviously looking at this in the context of the Swans who look like they've produced a couple of guns in Gulden and Campbell who are from the Sydney metro area.

Not close to the ground on grassroots stuff but interested to see if we will ever consistently produce AFL standard players locally

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
How do we think our academy is progressing? ~10 years and we have only produced two players from Western Sydney and from what I can gather not many more WS prospects coming through. Obviously looking at this in the context of the Swans who look like they've produced a couple of guns in Gulden and Campbell who are from the Sydney metro area.

Not close to the ground on grassroots stuff but interested to see if we will ever consistently produce AFL standard players locally

Yeah I would of hoped for more by now, I remember rumours we had a few about to hit but nothing seemed to come from it.

Disappointing and hopefully there will be an influx soon.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

There is obviously an element of luck especially when you consider that a guy like Braeden Campbell was only about 2 hours away from being in our zone. Also at the moment you could argue that about 25% of our best 22 is local talent. But the academies are always going to have peaks and dips when it comes to getting top end local talent and hopefully we will hit a peak soon.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hoping for some re-signing announcements as with so many off-contract this year and the need for list stability this has to be the priority and hopefully the kelly contract is not a dead-weight for negotiations with the others
If the Swans can be announcing contracts at this time of the year no reason for the club not to release some good news of players contract extensions for members

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
We've got an academy boy Patrick Voss playing for Chargers this year in the NAB League, really aggressive forward with a pinpoint kick and good marking. At 192cm he's a bit of an in between height, but I like what he brings and can see a bid in the early third being a possibility currently

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Will likely see plenty of academy players in the reserves this year so plenty of opportunity for them to push forward a case to make it onto the list but IMO the club is reluctant to pick a lower rated academy pick
I think the AFL website mentioned a ruck prospect tied to the academy

Interesting comment that you're happy with our half back runners (by which I presume Ash & Cumming, possibly Whitfield if you're slotting him in defence) - when I think many would see defence as a weakness at the moment.

If GWS was to get a top 5 pick (our own) plus a top 10 pick (Pies') who would you be looking at to patch up our list defiencies?
In just a few short weeks the wipe out all of a sudden looks ok.
XO and Hill looking likely and Idun showing he is promising. Factoring that we got 2 second rounders for Caldwell, it is now at least a fair outcome.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Here's the Phase 2 GWS Academy list for 2021:

Capture = 2021 GWS Academy.PNG

Josh Green obviously carried over from his non-selection by either GWS or Richmond last year. Josh Fahey back after a year on the Gold Coast - the indications from the AFL are that he remains eligible for GWS to select (I don't understand how, but happy to accept!). Sam Stening was an U16 AA player, so high hopes he has continued to develop. Patrick Voss mentioned by PMBangers yesterday playing for Oakleigh Chargers (obviously at boarding school in Victoria). Not too many possibilities from Western Sydney - Kai Watts was a good performer at the U16 championships, but seems to have dropped off a touch since then.

Back