List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well I'm tipping that we've worked out that Kelly's past injuries have stemmed from getting caught in the hard dogfight of the clearance contests, and are electing to keep him out of the rough and tumble to make best use of his zip as the first receiver. He attended 20 of the centre bounces, but on the wing (none in the centre circle) where he can sprint in, forward or back as required. We lost a lot from his 2018-2020 injuries, so expect it's trying to make best team use of him. Cannot fault that.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Anyone know where I see a replay of that academy game from today with Josh Fahey?
Should be up on the website or youtube within the next day or so, but you can never rely on the afl

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
IMG_2041.jpg

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Didn't show anything we didn't already know he had in his arsenal though, so whilst this great exposure to general fans and draft watchers (that are too lazy to watch northern academy footy) it won't have effected his actual stocks that much, he's still likely in that 15-25 bracket as it stands.

In saying that, it's a salivating thought to consider him possibly in tandem with Ash for the next decade or so if we lock Lachie in, two speedsters with a long kick not afraid to take risks

Didn't show anything we didn't already know he had in his arsenal though, so whilst this great exposure to general fans and draft watchers (that are too lazy to watch northern academy footy) it won't have effected his actual stocks that much, he's still likely in that 15-25 bracket as it stands.

In saying that, it's a salivating thought to consider him possibly in tandem with Ash for the next decade or so if we lock Lachie in, two speedsters with a long kick not afraid to take risks
Hopefully falls after our 2 first round picks and we can bring in 3 top talents for 4th year in a row. That is more than most manage with a blow it up rebuild
*Edit in 2019 we only had 2, but they were both top 10

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Hopefully falls after our 2 first round picks and we can bring in 3 top talents for 4th year in a row. That is more than most manage with a blow it up rebuild
*Edit in 2019 we only had 2, but they were both top 10
If Collingwood continue along this trajectory and we have a similar year results wise to last then we're pretty safe, if we make finals we'll be pushing it I reckon. Our saving grace really is likely to be a) NGA talents shooting up in the recruiters rankings and clubs willing to go early so another club can't bid, like Mac Andrew from Melbourne and b) the fact there's 3-5 first round KPP talents, so again clubs will likely be willing to reach and pass on bidding

The Tele has just reported that Lachie Ash has signed a 2 year extension.

Sounds like our hub train wreck almost lost him, but now he’s a believer.

McCartney is all guns blazing this week!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If true, that will be awesome!

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Press Release:

GIANTS defender Lachie Ash has put pen to paper on a two-year contract extension after a blistering start to his second season in the competition.

The 2019 number four draft pick has played just 18 career games but has caught the eye of football watchers with his rebound off half-back in a young GIANTS side.

The 19-year-old is averaging almost 24 touches and eight marks a game and starred in Friday night football last round with 35 disposals and 15 marks.

“We’ve been really building with a young group and it’s really exciting to see where we can go with things,” Ash said after inking an extension until the end of 2023.

“Everyone’s buying in to what we want to do at the moment and I’m really enjoying playing my footy here.

“I’m really enjoying the Sydney lifestyle so it was a very easy decision for me to stay.”

After playing 12 games in his debut season alongside AFL champion Heath Shaw and All Australian Lachie Whitfield, Ash said he learned a lot from the pair that he’s been able to implement in 2021.

“I think when you come in and you’re trying to find your feet in new surroundings, I probably still took a little bit longer to find my feet than I would have liked,” Ash said.

“But this year I’ve been really comfortable and I think playing some ok footy has helped.

“I’m really happy with where I’m at, at the moment, and with where the club’s going so I’m really enjoying it.”

GIANTS General Manager of Football Jason McCartney said the club is excited to add Ash to the club’s stable of young guns contracted beyond this year.

“We’re delighted to extend Lachie’s contract,” McCartney said.

“He’s had a great start to his short career so far and we expect him to be an important part of our team going forward long-term.

“Lachie’s diligence and hard work off the field has shown in his performances so far this season and we’re excited for what his future holds.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Fahey comes in as well and makes our defensive medium stocks really good, if we could combine that with a KPD prospect like Gibcus (depending where our second first rounder ends up) then I'm much more confident in the future for our backline. Admittedly been a bit difficult results wise this year, but at least there's nothing off field to make us lose faith like trade period

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Fahey comes in as well and makes our defensive medium stocks really good, if we could combine that with a KPD prospect like Gibcus (depending where our second first rounder ends up) then I'm much more confident in the future for our backline. Admittedly been a bit difficult results wise this year, but at least there's nothing off field to make us lose faith like trade period
I agree that Fahey adds to those rebounding defender stocks and we need to look at KPD's in the draft. A complicating issue is we have 5 KPF's and we perhaps one of them gets the tap on the shoulder that then need to become a reliable KPD in order to get games.

I think our priority needs to be outside wingers/pace in the midfield, KPD and then Fahey in that order. However, Fahey looks an increasingly good pick so I would be hesitant to let him slide.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I agree that Fahey adds to those rebounding defender stocks and we need to look at KPD's in the draft. A complicating issue is we have 5 KPF's and we perhaps one of them gets the tap on the shoulder that then need to become a reliable KPD in order to get games.

I think our priority needs to be outside wingers/pace in the midfield, KPD and then Fahey in that order. However, Fahey looks an increasingly good pick so I would be hesitant to let him slide.
Well Phil put it best on his podcast that come out Monday, you can't play 4 key forwards and Harry isn't coming out, so Ricca or Dorsal come out to accommodate Jesse, it's a very weird problem to have.

Pace and class through the midfield is something I've been begging for, for at least 3 years now. Plenty of those sorts up the top end thankfully, I worry we might pick one that lacks defensive accountability though

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
On pace and class, Josh Sinn/ Campbell Chesser both offer a bit of both, with Sinn elite in pace and Chesser elite in class. Another Sandringham boy to look out for with a nice mix of both as well, that's climbing up in recruiters and draft watchers eyes, is Finn Callaghan. Far more outside leaning than Chesser or Sinn, but just really understands how to play an outside role really well, and whilst he's got a little bit of polishing up to do with his disposal he'd be another one that's got top 10 potential that'd fill the need well, but as it stands, if we manage say, Pick 3 (Collingwoods first) and Pick 6-10 (ours) my preferred way to go is Chesser or Sinn at 3 (at this stage) probably leaning more towards Chesser, and Gibcus or WA boy Jack Williams (mainly key forward, but has good athleticism and I reckon could be a key defender easily) at that second pick, hits two needs pretty well

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Super happy with the ash news 👌

Personally think we should throw our hat into the merrett race if not already.

Zach merrett if 1. We could lure him and 2. Have cap space - would balance our midfield; good two way runner, great i50 delivery and has the toughness to play both outside and as a rover. We should still draft 1 more high class versatile mid like a chesser/sinn and our mid would lose the one-paced vibe it had. Despite me really liking hopper, great inside bull and whilst not the fastest, has good sleight of hand and acceleration off his first 5 steps, also can be a danger in front of goals.

Whitters, merrett, kelly, kenners and ash rotating between a true wing position. Whitfield, ash and kenners could also play HB, whilst Merrett and kelly could rotate to rover roles as well.

Ward, green, taranto, cogs as our inside engine. +/- deboer as a tagger if fit.

Binga, greene and hill with stints in the midfield too would add zip and versatility.

With the above mid, perryman and cummings could also go back to a more permanent hb/back pocket position and own those positions.

With bruhn, chesser/sinn, stone, angwin, shipley and o'hallaran all developing and one of them fighting for wards spot in the coming yr or two as well.

Lets be honest, wishful thinking - doubt we win the race for merrett though haha.

On pace and class, Josh Sinn/ Campbell Chesser both offer a bit of both, with Sinn elite in pace and Chesser elite in class. Another Sandringham boy to look out for with a nice mix of both as well, that's climbing up in recruiters and draft watchers eyes, is Finn Callaghan. Far more outside leaning than Chesser or Sinn, but just really understands how to play an outside role really well, and whilst he's got a little bit of polishing up to do with his disposal he'd be another one that's got top 10 potential that'd fill the need well, but as it stands, if we manage say, Pick 3 (Collingwoods first) and Pick 6-10 (ours) my preferred way to go is Chesser or Sinn at 3 (at this stage) probably leaning more towards Chesser, and Gibcus or WA boy Jack Williams (mainly key forward, but has good athleticism and I reckon could be a key defender easily) at that second pick, hits two needs pretty well
Hopefully the magpies run last and we can just take Horne.

Back