List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
I'd be interested in how much you'd be considering Gibcus?

Enough that you'd consider 2 and 13 for 6 and 8?
As Orange crush said, I'd reckon Callaghan & Gibcus go 2 & 3 (ignoring Daicos/Darcy bids), so going back to 6 & 8 would likely miss both of our desired targets. There's still reasonable targets at 6 & 8 obviously, but it will depend what the club's priorities are. (e.g. could get Amiss & Andrew, Amiss & Ward something along those lines, but is that what we want?).

I'm not sure why Freo would want to do that trade anyway? My thought would be for Freo to target Erasmus and Amiss, or Johnson as a backup. Unless you're worried that Crows or Hawks snaffle Erasmus ahead of you, which is possible, but #2 (or #4) seems slightly early for Erasmus. Or is it Callaghan that you want?

I'm interested in what Callaghan may offer.

Tall inside/outside midfielder with good skill...most similar to Cerra of anyone in the draft IMO...and I'm not welded on to Amiss, when Van Rooyen etc may offer similar

that’s why we are keen on him .... a nice inside/outside option to complement our bulls

and to be honest 6 and 8 gets you 2 with steaks knives .... no way 13 would be coughed up

Im interested in why the suns would want to trade up to pick 1. Is it just because they have the draft capital to do it and would like the pick rather than multiple picks later on? Any idea how they get it done? It would need to be a VERY attractive deal to convince North to trade pick 1... they would be giving up Horne and their fans would be spewing.
They've got two first rounders this year, it'd take more but its a decent starting point
I cant see Gold coast trading up - the last thing they need is more "kids" with go home factor. They have said numerous times that pick is on the table for ready made AFL players that want to be on the Gold Coast (probably over paid to add to the attraction).
What else would they do with the picks than take kids from inter state though, if theres no mature trade options what can you do

What is Buntines on field leadership actually like? I can't recall the last time I was at a game he was playing in to actually notice it, but if it's not exceptional I don't see the purpose of it.
A mate of mine who used to work at the club 5 years back said that he thought Bunts would be a player on the list likely to make a very good coach.

A mate of mine who used to work at the club 5 years back said that he thought Bunts would be a player on the list likely to make a very good coach.
I've heard similar things for years as well.

Oscar Clavarino delisted by Saints today. One I'd listed earlier as a ''possible'' pickup in the PSSP to cover the two LTIs next year.

Like Michael Hartley, who was mentioned a few days ago, he's being delisted because he's not a great KPD, so we wouldn't look at him as any ''gem in the rough'', just a ''break glass in emergency'' tall. There are others I'd have in front of him, but just mentioning him now that the axe has fallen on him.

Oscar Clavarino delisted by Saints today. One I'd listed earlier as a ''possible'' pickup in the PSSP to cover the two LTIs next year.

Like Michael Hartley, who was mentioned a few days ago, he's being delisted because he's not a great KPD, so we wouldn't look at him as any ''gem in the rough'', just a ''break glass in emergency'' tall. There are others I'd have in front of him, but just mentioning him now that the axe has fallen on him.
To be fair we didn’t think MDB or Keefe would be any good. You never know with some of these guys.

To be fair we didn’t think MDB or Keefe would be any good. You never know with some of these guys.
Yes. I guess if you set expectations low, then anything better can be met with surprised delight.

As I've said, I think we need to recruit a developing KPD, to replace Keeffe/Davis in the next 1-3 years, but we probably need an extra KPD to cover for Keeffe & Buckley being LTI through a large chunk of next year. We probably wouldn't want to bring them in until next year's PSSSP (presumably when LTI coverage will be allowed) and also doesn't clog up a list spot, or otherwise at best just in the PSD or Rookie Draft for a 1 year coverage.

Options are an experienced KPD cut because he's ageing but we will take what he's got for a short time (e.g. Talia [from our perspective, perhaps not his!] or Michael Hartley), or a young guy who perhaps due injury or other reasons we think isn't as bad as what delisting may appear for him (e.g. Clavarino).

To further what GS said above, I would think we take the best kpd in purely lockdown terms in the pad or otherwise .... We have everything else covered so Hartley might be it looking at what’s available at the moment

that’s why we are keen on him .... a nice inside/outside option to complement our bulls and to be honest 6 and 8 gets you 2 with steaks knives .... no way 13 would be coughed up

Not sure I understand. Are you saying assuming Freo get 6 & 8 - you would trade 2 & 13 for them?

Because I would like to cough 13 up trying to move up for tall forward/ ruck or move down and get Fahey - plus a few options to get a "slider" on the night. I think we need to find a way to maximise next years 1st this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I understand. Are you saying assuming Freo get 6 & 8 - you would trade 2 & 13 for them?

Because I would like to cough 13 up trying to move up for tall forward/ ruck or move down and get Fahey - plus a few options to get a "slider" on the night. I think we need to find a way to maximise next years 1st this year.

no .... I wouldn’t trade down for 6 and 8 ... and if we did, it wouldnt be 2 and 13 for 6 and 8 .... 2 or 2 and steak knoves

He is saying 6 and 8 would get you 2 and something much less than 13, probably a future 2nd or something (maybe even less)

no .... I wouldn’t trade down for 6 and 8 ... and if we did, it wouldnt be 2 and 13 for 6 and 8 .... 2 or 2 and steak knoves
it doesnt suit we're we are to do that.
We are better off taking a very high quality player with 2 and adding something with 13

ah ... ok. so we hold 6, 8, 13 plus next years 1st going into draft night - but we miss Callaghan. I actually think you have won me over, only because I think it suits our needs.

Just not sure Freo would come to the part - minor flaw in the strategy.

Don't think Freo would have any motivation to move up 6 and 8 for 2 unless they're dead keen on Callaghan or Erasmus, and even then you'd probably roll the dice on Erasmus slipping past Suns, Crows and Hawks. 6 and 8 will net them Amiss and a good midfielder, admittedly none of the mids outside of Callaghan or Sinn hit that 'outside speed' they've said they want overly well, but you can (and I assume they will) trade for speed specifically

ah ... ok. so we hold 6, 8, 13 plus next years 1st going into draft night - but we miss Callaghan. I actually think you have won me over, only because I think it suits our needs.

Just not sure Freo would come to the part - minor flaw in the strategy.

ummm .... that’s NOT whT I’m suggesting .... I wouldn’t trade 2.

However, if 2 was traded for 6 and 8 then 13 would not be part of that deal

In terms of key forwards as well, I'm a fan of Anthony Caminiti from the Northern Knights who could be available late. Honestly pretty comparable to Riccardi in style and (without knowing his measurements) size, lead up forward with a good leap and gets separation really well. He's actually one I expect to be a 'bolter' closer to the draft given his traits, but if he's there in the 40's I'd be looking to trade in

In terms of key forwards as well, I'm a fan of Anthony Caminiti from the Northern Knights who could be available late. Honestly pretty comparable to Riccardi in style and (without knowing his measurements) size, lead up forward with a good leap and gets separation really well. He's actually one I expect to be a 'bolter' closer to the draft given his traits, but if he's there in the 40's I'd be looking to trade in
What are your thoughts on Charlie Dean, Josh Rentsch and Luke Taylor, Sam's brother? Just thinking about options later in the draft if we end up with an expended pick at the back end (if we don't want to trade back in). You've mentioned Caminiti, we could think about Charlie Dean (KPD or KPF) or Josh Rentsch too; they may be gone earlier, but you never know that they could last through. Luke, with his injury this year, probably at better odds to make it through to late in the draft. Any of those viable options to fill a developing KPF role if Riccardi does leave?

What are your thoughts on Charlie Dean, Josh Rentsch and Luke Taylor, Sam's brother? Just thinking about options later in the draft if we end up with an expended pick at the back end (if we don't want to trade back in). You've mentioned Caminiti, we could think about Charlie Dean (KPD or KPF) or Josh Rentsch too; they may be gone earlier, but you never know that they could last through. Luke, with his injury this year, probably at better odds to make it through to late in the draft. Any of those viable options to fill a developing KPF role if Riccardi does leave?
I haven't really seen a whole heap of Dean so can't really say, from my understanding though he's more a key defender nowadays? Would be worth watching a Williamstown VFL game on Kayo if you want a better look.
Rentsch is a lightly more athletic Callow with less form, much more suited to state league rather than AFL, similarly with Taylor, they both lack the athleticism to be KPF's, or rather good ones, at AFL level

A slight update on a few guys:

Former Greater Western Sydney captain Phil Davis will play on next year on a one-year deal despite falling out of favour late this season.

Shane Mumford will finally retire to become a development and ruck coach.

At this stage swingman Jake Riccardi has few rival suitors despite trade rumours and he is also expected to remain at the club.

AFL trade news 2021: Mabior Chol, Tom Mitchell, Ed Curnow, Jack Ziebell, Hamish Hartlett | Herald Sun

It will be interesting with what Riccardi chooses to do
I would like him to stay and if he knuckles down over pre-season he could be a best 22 at either end of the ground he just needs to put in the work
If he leaves the pick would be used for Fahey likely and enable the club to maybe draft 2 talls

Hoping Davis has a good pre-season and although he has slowed down it will be interesting to know how much of that was from injuries during the season although with his calf injuries he would want to manage them well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back