List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
No, that's wrong.

In 2019 he kicked 44 goals at a rate of 1.9 goals per game.

This year, he only had half that number of games, and kicked at a rate of 1.8 goals per game.

So even with his noted deficiencies, he's capable of kicking around that 45 goal mark per season if he plays the whole season. If he could improve his mindset (and I'm assuming the club has worked hard on this aspect, so I acknowledge it is a big ''if''), he should be able to get 45-50.
Why did he only have half that number of games i wonder?

That is likely I would think

Over time more and more of our players will do this, and we'll end up with a mix of ex listed players, the better academy kids and our reggies making up that team.
I hope Shipley is brought into the Academy coaching team in some capacity, first true Western Sydney product would be a good role model to have around the group

Interesting top20 ranking - I thought Gibcus was a tad low. I dont think he gets past Tigers and I think they will try to elevate to get him or if they cant they will go Mac Andrew. I was hoping we could land one of Gibcus or Mac Andrew. Ive always thought we dump 13 - but I would love to hear anybody's ideas is there anyway we could walk away with Callghan, Gibcus or Andrew and Fahey ( Im now convinced he gets to pick 19 GC - but Ive been wrong many times before) ?

Yeah, I'm hoping Flynn to the Dogs doesn't get called out after the GF. It's kinda the only thing I can think of as to why he hasn't signed on.

Hmm that’s interesting, haven’t heard much of anything about Flynn no real indication of whether he’ll stay or go. Would think he can see there’s definitely going to be opportunity next year for him to play in either role. Would hate to see him leave think he’s gonna be a really important player for us.

Anyone thinking Flynny might be waiting for the delisting season to be done to try and grab an extra 50k from the pot?

Given he ha jus had a shoulder reconstruction and had yet to lock down a best 22 spot, that is a gutysy move if true.

They may be negotiating details, but deliberating holding out could backfire, someone may also become available that the club will take intead.

Not surprised with todays delistings and good luck to them both and feel for Hutchesson, I remember the story of his partner being a nurse dealing with covid patients last year (I think) and after having both moved lives from SA they havent had the smoothest journey

Shipley never really reached any great heights but he was a solid reserves player and maybe if he had been playing v VFL reserves teams he would have developed faster

Interesting with Shipley, Reid and Buntine leaving the experienced core for the reserves has diminished somewhat

Haynes Stein Cumming
Idun Taylor Whitfield
Perryman Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Hill Hogan Daniels
Preuss Ward Hopper

Green Ash Flynn Bruhn

Ash Keeffe Fleeton
Wehr Davis Buckley
Angwin DeBoer Kennedy
Lloyd Sproule Brown
Peatling Riccardi Shaw
Briggs XOH Stone

Not a bad likely VFL side (of course half of them will be unavailable due to ongoing injury crisis!)

Haynes Stein Cumming
Idun Taylor Whitfield
Perryman Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Hill Hogan Daniels
Preuss Ward Hopper

Green Ash Flynn Bruhn

Ash Keeffe Fleeton
Wehr Davis Buckley
Angwin DeBoer Kennedy
Lloyd Sproule Brown
Peatling Riccardi Shaw
Briggs XOH Stone

Not a bad likely VFL side (of course half of them will be unavailable due to ongoing injury crisis!)
With a pick 2, 13 and Josh Fahey to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haynes Stein Cumming
Idun Taylor Whitfield
Perryman Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Hill Hogan Daniels
Preuss Ward Hopper

Green Ash Flynn Bruhn

Ash Keeffe Fleeton
Wehr Davis Buckley
Angwin DeBoer Kennedy
Lloyd Sproule Brown
Peatling Riccardi Shaw
Briggs XOH Stone

Don’t think Stein will play over a healthy buckley or Keefe.

Not sure where he would be rated in the draft but being an overager he would have a more mature body ready to step into AFL

If the club is interested they may look to split #13 as I dont think he would be taken that high but we have seen the club reach for players they rate

Not sure how much seniors he has played in SANFL but they have had a complete season this year (I think) but if he has a season in the reserves I feel he could potentially make the step up in 2023

Not sure where he would be rated in the draft but being an overager he would have a more mature body ready to step into AFL

If the club is interested they may look to split #13 as I dont think he would be taken that high but we have seen the club reach for players they rate

Not sure how much seniors he has played in SANFL but they have had a complete season this year (I think) but if he has a season in the reserves I feel he could potentially make the step up in 2023
He's certainly someone who's been noticed this year. He's on most draft watchers' boards in the 20s, some drifting out to early 30s; only Knightmare has him earlier - at 8 (but IMHO has jumped the shark a bit this year in trying to be different)!

If we take Callaghan at #2 (sliding back after father/son selections), who seems to be fairly consensus now at #4, for an injection of pace into the midfield, then I'd have KPD as our next priority (not sure about the club, though). We could take either Rhett Bazzo or Leek Alleer at our next pick (#13 sliding to #15), but that's early for either of those. Splitting the #13 for two picks in the 20s would be viable, and could net us that KPD plus either pay for Fahey or if Fahey's not bid before those picks, someone else (e.g. a small forward). Certainly some risk involved in such a strategy - and we tend to play it safe - but risk/reward is there. We'd need to find the right club, and strike an appropriate sale deal.

He's certainly someone who's been noticed this year. He's on most draft watchers' boards in the 20s, some drifting out to early 30s; only Knightmare has him earlier - at 8 (but IMHO has jumped the shark a bit this year in trying to be different)!
just this year hey =P

What about

Port - Finlayson ... GWS - Ports 2nd 2022
GC - 13 & 1st 2022 from GWS ... GWS - 3 & 55

Draft night - Callaghan & Gibcus & Fahey in the bag. Plus Port 2nd 2022

GC get to split 3 and have 13 on a ready made player with GWS 1st 2022 up their sleeve.
Nah, after GC got Chol they said they will take 3 to the draft. No spare list spaces at the moment. They will have to delist 3 guys to re-rookie them just to get 3 main spots.

If we take Callaghan at #2 (sliding back after father/son selections), who seems to be fairly consensus now at #4, for an injection of pace into the midfield, then I'd have KPD as our next priority (not sure about the club, though). We could take either Rhett Bazzo or Leek Alleer at our next pick (#13 sliding to #15), but that's early for either of those. Splitting the #13 for two picks in the 20s would be viable, and could net us that KPD plus either pay for Fahey or if Fahey's not bid before those picks, someone else (e.g. a small forward). Certainly some risk involved in such a strategy - and we tend to play it safe - but risk/reward is there. We'd need to find the right club, and strike an appropriate sale deal.
I like the look of Leek.

it will be interesting if the decision of Tarrant to move to the Tigers changes the strategy of North at the draft

Would they try and move up the draft using next years picks, players and this years picks so they can grab a tall

I cant see them trading #1

it will be interesting if the decision of Tarrant to move to the Tigers changes the strategy of North at the draft

Would they try and move up the draft using next years picks, players and this years picks so they can grab a tall

I cant see them trading #1
They're not worried about the next couple years, they'll be all about bringing in as much top end talent as they can.
Regardless of position, balance of the squad will have zero impact on drafting this year or next

Remove this Banner Ad

Back