List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
We have a year to convince him and show him he can have a great career here.
If not having a break out year this season will be a good selling point, while also benefiting the club.
Breakout year good for him and we get a double benefit in that it helps win games and ups his trade value if he still wants out

No one to blame but Colin Young. He has made an absolute dog's breakfast of this and put Hill in an extremely difficult spot.

On his form, it'd be safe to assume Young didn't even formally consult McCartney before publicly putting forward the trade request.

Feel sorry for you guy’s dealing with the Essendon w***ers on the main board worst fan base to deal with at this time of the year. Anyway I hope you hold Hill to his contract
There is only one bloke that gets all the fans fired up for his unprofessionalism, Dodo and only one club known not to act in good faith with trades consistently, Bombers.

There is only one bloke that gets all the fans fired up for his unprofessionalism, Dodo and only one club known not to act in good faith with trades consistently, Bombers.
Geez, there's some pretty puerile commentary from some Essendon posters against McCartney (for doing his job) - including some folk who are usually composed and level-headed, but on this topic have just lost their brains - while defending to the death Dodoro's record, as 'just doing his job'!

Who's the guy who:
  • didn't get Dunkley over the line even though he wanted to go to Essendon, would have fixed their inside midfield problems, and they had the draft capital?
  • turned down two first round picks to let Joe Daniher go pre-FA, then had to suck up getting a single first round pick when he left as a FA anyway?
  • got Shiel to commit to his club, but then wouldn't pay a reasonable trade value for him, and would have lost the deal except that someone in Bombers' hierarchy overruled him and told him to get it done?
  • got Caldwell to commit to his club, but then wouldn't pay a reasonable price for a pick 11 just two years out from draft?
  • has been running Bombers' list management for 23 years, but hasn't won a final in 17 years?
  • now has offered third-year player Hill (reportedly) a 4-year contract but then won't offer commensurate trade value for him?
  • plus numerous other instances of being difficult to deal with over the years (no, it's not a myth!)
Dodo has a clear history of over-valuing his own players; and of targeting other teams' players, getting a commitment, but then undervaluing the trade to finalise the deal. And yes, folks, that's the very definition of unprofessional.

Plenty of twists for the club this trade period and although Lobb would have been a good addition to the club he is not really a need with 3 other rucks and plenty of tall forwards. Wingard although a talented footballer I think he is a S@#t bloke and hopefully he has 4 years of bottom 4 finishes at the hawks

Hopefully Hill stays as he is very talented and i think stability would be good for his career but him and his partner need to think about what is best for their future and if that is the Bombers good luck to them

In terms of trade like above the #13 to #11 upgrade and a F2 seems right and if they want a F3 or lower pick back I would happily put it in the trade and if the Bombers dont accept we can just hold Bobby to his contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised we haven’t taken a look.

A. He's just not that good. I don't think he would make either a great KPF or a great KPD. But Weagles not settling on one position has certainly not helped him.

B. We'll likely be able to pick him up DFA at a later point, so if we do want to use him to plug a gap, then the DFA period, rookie/PSD, or even PSSP would be better than now. Cheaper in trade value (i.e. none) and also saves a list position to make maximum use of picks/points for Fahey.

The biggest issue we have with Hill’s attempted last minute exit is more with how do we replace him for next season. Given adequate notice we could have a plan in place however with little notice we run the risk of being short on pressure forwards next year. Although he has a poor attitude and ultimately had no interest in joint the giants Wingard would have made us a more potent attacking side.

13 or even 11 is unlikely to be high enough to get Rachele and we don’t want to reach for a small forward at that point. Our next pick would be a long way down the draft (after Fahey).

hold on to Hill, back ourselves to change his mind and if not then he can walk next year and we would prob still get a second rounder anyway

Not enough. We need to keep him. I think we can turn his head around.
Would be unfortunate if that's what we trade him for that pick is likely to end up being 30-35 once everythings pushed back with compensation and father-son/NGA not a good return on investment at all in a top 25 pick from 3 years ago, who played consistent games.

Just looking at the trades that have gone down and what is left out there, it doesn’t seem there is much we could have got this year to help us have a better crack next year. I think wingehard would have added something, but what sort of influence might he have? I guess we go to the draft and build from within this off season and maybe look to trade in some talent next year .... have a good year and try and shake someone loose

Just looking at the trades that have gone down and what is left out there, it doesn’t seem there is much we could have got this year to help us have a better crack next year. I think wingehard would have added something, but what sort of influence might he have? I guess we go to the draft and build from within this off season and maybe look to trade in some talent next year .... have a good year and try and shake someone loose
So, looking at what I perceive our needs:
  • KPD - Tarrant & Talia available; but really don't make a lot of sense for us, as they're older than Davis & Keeffe, plus neither would really want to sit in reserve grade if we select Phil, and probably don't want to move interstate anyway. Battle could be gotten from Saints, probably at a second round pick, but is he much different to how Buckley performed last year? Probably the one we could have looked harder at, but is he ''the missing piece''? Brander could be grabbed and trialled in that role, but would be a risk. We still could grab him.
  • KPF - The problem is injury uncertainty around Jesse Hogan primarily. If he plays 100% of games, we have more wins: simple as that. Otherwise, growth from within, Riccardi is still there to be tried. We looked at Lobb, but I'm entirely comfortable that he needed to be a much cheaper option than what he was. Chances are, he and Hogan would be injured the same weeks, and available the same weeks, creating massive instability in selection. Gunston from Hawks, same injury worries for mine. There are no gun full forwards out there just waiting to be traded in, we need to grow one from the draft.
  • Balanced midfielder - no-one really stands out as gettable O'Meara & Mitchell are not what we're looking for. Jack Steele back would be great.
  • Small forward - I reckoned we could do with another one for next year, let alone having to deal with potentially losing one more! Wingard proved to be not available (even before we debate his personal merits); anyone else such as Lonie, Gibbons, Long are rated lower. Easy to say ''do what the Melbourne/SA/WA clubs do in calling players home'' - we don't have that luxury as an interstate (and non-AFL state) club.
Whilst I agree in principle with those saying we need to trade in to solve deficiencies, I'm just not seeing guys who'd make a difference to us next year.

Remember, the ''great trades'' are always defined in hindsight - player X completed team Y and they won the premiership. Well, 17 other teams all traded as well and it didn't bring them flag success, so it's a false argument to say ''get out & trade'' - you've got to trade the right player. Plenty of teams have gone backwards through trading out draft picks for players that didn't work.

So, looking at what I perceive our needs:
  • KPD - Tarrant & Talia available; but really don't make a lot of sense for us, as they're older than Davis & Keeffe, plus neither would really want to sit in reserve grade if we select Phil, and probably don't want to move interstate anyway. Battle could be gotten from Saints, probably at a second round pick, but is he much different to how Buckley performed last year? Probably the one we could have looked harder at, but is he ''the missing piece''? Brander could be grabbed and trialled in that role, but would be a risk. We still could grab him.
  • KPF - The problem is injury uncertainty around Jesse Hogan primarily. If he plays 100% of games, we have more wins: simple as that. Otherwise, growth from within, Riccardi is still there to be tried. We looked at Lobb, but I'm entirely comfortable that he needed to be a much cheaper option than what he was. Chances are, he and Hogan would be injured the same weeks, and available the same weeks, creating massive instability in selection. Gunston from Hawks, same injury worries for mine. There are no gun full forwards out there just waiting to be traded in, we need to grow one from the draft.
  • Balanced midfielder - no-one really stands out as gettable O'Meara & Mitchell are not what we're looking for. Jack Steele back would be great.
  • Small forward - I reckoned we could do with another one for next year, let alone having to deal with potentially losing one more! Wingard proved to be not available (even before we debate his personal merits); anyone else such as Lonie, Gibbons, Long are rated lower. Easy to say ''do what the Melbourne/SA/WA clubs do in calling players home'' - we don't have that luxury as an interstate (and non-AFL state) club.
Whilst I agree in principle with those saying we need to trade in to solve deficiencies, I'm just not seeing guys who'd make a difference to us next year.

Remember, the ''great trades'' are always defined in hindsight - player X completed team Y and they won the premiership. Well, 17 other teams all traded as well and it didn't bring them flag success, so it's a false argument to say ''get out & trade'' - you've got to trade the right player. Plenty of teams have gone backwards through trading out draft picks for players that didn't work.
I think Cogs (fingers crossed) will prove to be the other well rounded mid we're looking for I don't have to go through it all but we all know he good he can be defensively and kicking goals. Can't imagine Brander would be all that expensive he seems to be running out of options pretty quickly plus a return to NSW would have to be some what attractive. KPF is not something that we can really address through the trading period because the ones that are avaliable are either going to be old, injured, or too expensive otherwise they wouldn't be on the market, so we're probably out of luck there at least for now. Would make a run at Talia I'd play him over Phil if Talia looks anything like he did a couple years although it's difficult to tell how guys will recover from injuries. Small forward is tough at this point the draft looks like our best option, a small trade up (or trade down) is going to be needed for Rachele unless things break really nicely for us. A significant portion of our best 25 players or so are still in a developing part of the career so our problems may be solved from within.

I wouldn’t mind Gibbon or hartley as a dfa to add something at one end or the other
Yes, those guys, perhaps Brander, maybe Oscar Clavarino from Saints are worth a look depending on who we nab in the draft & what holes remain - although they would only be ''bit part'' players; cheap depth.

But there aren't huge numbers of players pushing to come to NSW, and probably less so after these past two years of border closures.

We were lucky with some of the early guys that we did get - Mummy & Heater the main drive of improvement, but also Griffen, Patfull, Hunt, Stevie J

Yes, those guys, perhaps Brander, maybe Oscar Clavarino from Saints are worth a look depending on who we nab in the draft & what holes remain - although they would only be ''bit part'' players; cheap depth.

But there aren't huge numbers of players pushing to come to NSW, and probably less so after these past two years of border closures.

We were lucky with some of the early guys that we did get - Mummy & Heater the main drive of improvement, but also Griffen, Patfull, Hunt, Stevie J
It probably helps in those early days when we had a bunch of guys on rookie contracts we could hand out some fat deals to older experienced players like all the guys you named. NSW factor is difficult because we probably can't offer a lot of money to these guys and it's notably more expensive to live there then other places so someone would have to be really focused on winnng as the top priority and at the moment I don't think we're quite good enough to start attracting veteran players on their last legs of good footy willing to take a pay cut to comepete for a flag, could be there in a year or two but don't think we're now.

Notice how Jon Ralph often blurs the lines of reporting and editorialising? “It’s a fair deal” Who the fu*k are you to determine what is a fair deal. We gave up a 1st round pick and put 2 years of development into him, he’s contracted and was best 22 and a future 2nd to an emerging team is a “…fair deal”?? Go EAD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back