List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, pretty damn quiet on the draft news front for Giants, eh?

Seems likely that we've locked in Finn Callaghan for our first pick, after possibly just one bid (suspect Sam Darcy).

And betting seems to be on Blake Howes with our second pick, to keep his best mate Callaghan happy. Howes has got plenty of positives in respect of his own skills, although unlikely to go as early as #13 (15) for any other team ... but we probably don't have room to * around with trades given the need to match a bid for Josh Fahey soon after as well.

Given our list needs - see below for Rookie Me Central's take, with which I agree - then we've covered the ''midfield speed & class'' with Finn, Blake substitutes for the ''small forward'' (I guess it doesn't matter if he's small or medium, can he apply pressure and kick goals), and Brander as a DFA covers the KPP. Given that we'll have one rookie (or late national draft) spot remaining, it may be that we do look to pick up an actual small forward. The list below includes the GWS Academy players we have nominated and Harrison Grintell is there - could he be an option for the small forward? I doubt he gets selected in the ND, so could be automatically listed as a rookie. Otherwise, with the late pick that will come from leftover points matching the Josh Fahey bid (presuming it's not incredibly early), we could take a live option in the ND. Who might be there with a 60-ish pick? Kai Lohmann, Lachlan Rankin, Ronald Fejo Jnr, Arthur Jones - do we consider taking one of those?

With Keeffe and Buckley still LTI, we could also still get a replacement KPD in the PSSP as cover.

I have to say, I'm now looking forward to seeing what Callaghan can add to the side. Not that I'd expect him to play straight up - especially after two years of development impacted by COVID - but later in the season I would hope he gets a chance to play. With a wing/HBF line-up of Whitfield, Ash, Cumming and Callaghan, the Orange Tsunami could well be back in vogue in the coming years!

Here's Rookie Me Central's take on the GWS draft position: 2021 AFL Draft Preview: GWS GIANTS - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central
It's a decent summary of the options with their respective pros & cons.

NOMINATED ACADEMY PLAYERS:

Jack Driscoll, Josh Fahey*, Sam Frost, Josh Green, Harrison Grintell*, Fraser Kelly, Patrick Voss* (* denotes draft combine invitee)

LIST NEEDS:

+ Midfield speed and class
+ Key position players
+ Small forwards

FIRST PICK OPTIONS:
(Pick 2):

With what some may call the first ‘open’ pick in the draft, it’s seems highly likely that GWS will begin the bidding for this year’s intake, forcing the Western Bulldogs to match early on their father-son prospect Sam Darcy, arguably the most promising tall in the crop. A follow up bid for Oakleigh Chargers teammate Nick Daicos would also have to be considered following his dominant season when given the opportunity to play, and his class through the midfield which suits a need.

With those two tied to other clubs, the next best Victorian prospect in Finn Callaghan also hits that need of class through the midfield, with the 191cm Sandringham product possessing one of the best kicks in the draft and impressive movement to match. His ability to balance his inside and outside game would be an invaluable addition to an already stacked GIANTS midfield.

Callaghan is arguably the most sensible pick given his comparisons to AFL stars such as Marcus Bontempelli and Josh Kelly, with the added benefit of versatility to play in other roles another consideration when looking at him as an overall prospect.

The GIANTS have also been linked to Melbourne NGA prospect Mac Andrew, a uniquely athletic tall prospect who has impressed with his work mostly through the ruck, but has the tools to play a role up either end as well. Whilst the GIANTS do have a few rucks already, none come close to matching the athleticism and ground level work of Andrew. Another tall options around the mark is GWV’s Josh Gibcus, who has impressed with his leap in the defensive half, able to stay accountable for his opponents but also hurt opposition with his intercepting game. Gibcus could form a dangerous long term partnership with Sam Taylor if selected by GWS.

Mercurial Murray Bushrangers small forward Josh Rachele has also been linked to the GIANTS’ first selection, with his ability to play as a forward target and impact games in ways others can’t, similarly to Toby Greene, an attractive prospect for a side in need of some more smalls inside 50.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Just a few things about Finn Callaghan & Blake Howes.

From the 2021 All Catholic Colleges athletic competition, where the two boys competed for St Bede's College - ACC-2021-Athletics-Championship-Results.pdf (accmelb.com.au) :

100m - winner Finn Callaghan in a time of 11.34 seconds
200m - winner Blake Howes in a time of 23.78 seconds
400m - winner Finn Callaghan in a time of 51.84 seconds
4 x 100m relay - winner St Bede's College (including Finn Callaghan & Blake Howes)
4 x 400m relay - winner St Bede's College (including Finn Callaghan & Blake Howes)

And then the limited draft combine results from AFL draft 2021 combine results: Top 10, Corey Warner, Leek Alleer breaks record, Sam Butler, Taj Woewodin Melbourne (foxsports.com.au) :

Blake Howes - 6 min 08 seconds
Finn Callaghan - 6 min 10 seconds

I know that you need more than speed to be a successful AFL player, and they may need to work on the contested side of their respective games, but in terms of both sprint speed and endurance, both these kids are excellent. Howes may develop the capacity to take the HFF role that we tried to have Whitfield play a couple of years back, with his endurance and speed allowing him to get to contests and also to open spaces.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
If we pick Callaghan (which I expect we will) then he plays round 1. I’d have him playing purely outside on the wing. Could provide a very similar option early in his career to what the lions get with Mccluggage.

Midfielders picked in the fist few picks are ready to go and have an impact. Otherwise they shouldn’t be picked that high.

I would like to see us use our 22 first to trade up and grab Rachele if he is still available at 5 or 6.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Finn Callaghan has grown in more ways in the last two years. The potential top three pick opens up on his journey and the prospect of being drafted interstate.

Nick Smart

4 min read

Melbourne teenager[URL='https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-off-season-news-follow-the-latest-preseason-updates-in-the-lead-up-2022/news-story/2eb3c3a27716a631bb177848e89aec11'] Finn Callaghan has grown
– literally – from being snubbed from the Vic Metro Under-16 team to be on the cusp of a top-three selection in this week’s AFL National Draft.

Only two years ago, the now St Bede’s College graduate was a 178cm “outside” player who weighed in at just 68kg and would have barely been on any AFL clubs’ radars.

When he was tested last week, the Sandringham Dragons NAB League product came in at 191cm and topped the scales at 86kg.

And his remarkable growth spurt might not be done just yet.
Watch the first round of the 2021 AFL Draft on Fox Footy and Kayo from 7pm EDT on Wednesday November 24. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today >
Finn Callaghan is a highly rated draft prospect. Michael Klein.

Finn Callaghan is a highly rated draft prospect. Michael Klein.
Finn Callaghan has grown significantly in the last two years. Picture: Michael Klein

Finn Callaghan has grown significantly in the last two years. Picture: Michael Klein

“I always knew I’d get a bit taller, I just developed a little bit later,” Callaghan said.

“I think maybe a little bit more, I might get to 192cm or 193cm.

“Dad’s about 194cm so hopefully I can reach him.”

Now former Sandringham coach Jackson Kornberg – who has just been poached to become Gold Coast’s new VFL coach – has watched Callaghan grow before his eyes.

“He was sensational to coach.

“I’ve seen him all the way through for three years and seen his transformation from more of an outside player, and a lot skinnier and shorter, to the 191cm inside mid beast he is now.”

It is almost inconceivable to think that Callaghan, who has been strongly linked to the GWS Giants at pick No.2, missed out on Vic Metro representative honours just two years ago.

Particularly given four years earlier he’d captained the Victorian Under 12 schoolboys team.

Callaghan said he decided to take the snub the right way by working harder.

“I was very disappointed but it just made me more motivated and it was probably a good reality check at the time that I wasn’t quite up to the standard,” Callaghan said.

“It made me go away and work really hard and more determined to succeed.”
Kornberg said Callaghan’s setback was a blessing in disguise.
DRAFT INTEL: WHO YOUR CLUB COULD PICK
DRAFT INTERACTIVE: PROFILES, STATS ON TOP 109 PROSPECTS
Callaghan in action for the AFL Academy earlier this year. Picture: Michael Klein

Callaghan in action for the AFL Academy earlier this year. Picture: Michael Klein
Callaghan at the Victorian draft day in November. Picture: Michael Klein.

Callaghan at the Victorian draft day in November. Picture: Michael Klein.

“Everything he’s done this year in the games he’s played, we’ve seen in training for three or four years now,” Kornberg said.

“We knew he could do it but he couldn’t quite string together that training into games in the under-16’s, which is probably why he didn’t make that Vic Metro team.

“But in hindsight it was probably one of the best things that’s happened to him because it forced him to re-evaluate what he needed to do to improve.”

The 18-year-old, who is a Western Bulldogs supporter, has a penetrating left foot and has drawn comparisons to his “favourite player” in Marcus Bontempelli.

“Being a Doggies fan, he’s our best player and I try to model my game on him a bit as well,” Callaghan said.

“I love how he can go forward and kick goals, win the contested ball and he’s a great kick, so he can do everything really.
“He’s great to watch.”

When asked how he felt about being compared to a young Bontempelli, Callaghan said:

“I’ve got a very fair way to go to get anywhere near the Bont, but it’s pretty humbling and a great honour I suppose.”

Born and raised in Parkdale, Callaghan is the son of former Commonwealth Games runner and 400m national champion Brett Callaghan.

Although, it was football and cricket that captured Callaghan’s heart growing up rather than the running track.
Mordialloc-Braeside was his junior football club.

“Up until I was about 14 I probably loved cricket more, to be honest, before switching to footy and I’ve been focusing on that since,” he said.

Despite his AFL dream, Callaghan has maintained his interest in cricket.

In March, he played a big part in Mordialloc’s win in the Cricket Southern Bayside Division 1 grand final, making 54 in a tight run chase.
It might be his last competitive cricket game for awhile as a promising AFL career beckons.

Kornberg said he saw Callaghan starting his AFL career on a wing before transforming into a tall inside midfielder who can drift forward.

“His running patterns as a winger was as good as anyone in the NAB League this year,” he said.

With the Giants at pick No.2 and a host of other non-Victorian clubs lurking in the top five, Callaghan is aware a move interstate is a real possibility.

He admitted he was bracing for it to happen.
“If you ask any Victorian boy I’m sure they’d say they would love to stay in Melbourne, but you don’t really get a choice,” he said.

“I’d be open to moving interstate and I’ve probably come to terms with that it’s probably going to happen, so I’m really just embracing the opportunity.

“A whole new bunch of people and living in a new place would be a great experience and good fun.”
[/URL]

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Just a few things about Finn Callaghan & Blake Howes.

From the 2021 All Catholic Colleges athletic competition, where the two boys competed for St Bede's College - ACC-2021-Athletics-Championship-Results.pdf (accmelb.com.au) :

100m - winner Finn Callaghan in a time of 11.34 seconds
200m - winner Blake Howes in a time of 23.78 seconds
400m - winner Finn Callaghan in a time of 51.84 seconds
4 x 100m relay - winner St Bede's College (including Finn Callaghan & Blake Howes)
4 x 400m relay - winner St Bede's College (including Finn Callaghan & Blake Howes)

And then the limited draft combine results from AFL draft 2021 combine results: Top 10, Corey Warner, Leek Alleer breaks record, Sam Butler, Taj Woewodin Melbourne (foxsports.com.au) :

Blake Howes - 6 min 08 seconds
Finn Callaghan - 6 min 10 seconds

I know that you need more than speed to be a successful AFL player, and they may need to work on the contested side of their respective games, but in terms of both sprint speed and endurance, both these kids are excellent. Howes may develop the capacity to take the HFF role that we tried to have Whitfield play a couple of years back, with his endurance and speed allowing him to get to contests and also to open spaces.
You sure they are not Josh Sinns times? He has his high school record at about 11.3

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The Age's take on our draft possibilities: How your club stands ahead of the 2021 draft (theage.com.au) - pretty much more of the same! Either it's group think, or we're relatively set on a course of action.

The Giants lost some key-forward depth due to Jeremy Finlayson’s departure but restocked quickly by signing Jarrod Brander in the delisted free-agency period. Brander was, of course, deployed on the wing at West Coast, but all signs point to a forward-line role at GWS. The on-ball brigade runs deep, so one can rule out the Giants picking a pure inside midfielder. The top 10 is set to be shaped by GWS and there is a real chance the club bids on either Nick Daicos and Sam Darcy, however they are unlikely to bid on both players, with their bid tipped to come for Darcy. The Giants could still trade pick two on draft night and slide back down the order – they may have Mac Andrew or Josh Rachele in mind in this instance – but the lure of the smooth-moving Finn Callaghan is more likely to ensure otherwise. After picking Callaghan, the Giants have considered picking his close friend Blake Howes as a potential running mate at their next pick. Mac Andrew will be gone by then so the Giants might instead look towards star swingman Jacob van Rooyen. GWS have met with St Kilda NGA prospect Mitch Owens multiple times but would need to use this pick on the potential bolter, as the Saints are able to match any bid that comes for him after selection 20. The Giants are committed to matching a bid themselves thereafter, with academy member Josh Fahey likely to be picked up in the second round. Fahey is an attacking defender with a booming left-foot boot.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Draft Night Countdown will run live on AFL.com.au and the Official AFL Live App from 12pm AEDT – 2pm AEDT on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Monday's show features a number of big guests, including likely No.1 pick Jason Horne-Francis, possible top-10 choice Ben Hobbs, Greater Western Sydney recruiting manager Adrian Caruso and Sydney list boss Kinnear Beatson.
WATCH IT LIVE: 2021 NAB AFL Draft

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Who might be there with a 60-ish pick? Kai Lohmann, Lachlan Rankin, Ronald Fejo Jnr, Arthur Jones - do we consider taking one of those?
If we're looking for guys that can apply some pressure and are actually small, Kaden Harbour from East Perth would be my pick, but if Rankin lasts that long I'd be filthy if we didn't grab him.
And of course I'm big on Luke Nankervis, the Sandy connection there helps if we are going Callaghan and Howes/Owens

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
If we're looking for guys that can apply some pressure and are actually small, Kaden Harbour from East Perth would be my pick, but if Rankin lasts that long I'd be filthy if we didn't grab him.
And of course I'm big on Luke Nankervis, the Sandy connection there helps if we are going Callaghan and Howes/Owens
Nankervks any relation to the St Kilda radge from years gone by?

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Listening to Caruso it looks like Callaghan at 2 and needs based for our next pick aka key position or small forward.

Looks like we are shopping the pick 13 as the guy we have in mind probably falls before that pick and therefore if we pick on need we would either be reaching or could get same player a little later.

Adrian, if you are looking…just take Leek Alleer! He’s what we need.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Listening to Caruso it looks like Callaghan at 2 and needs based for our next pick aka key position or small forward.

Looks like we are shopping the pick 13 as the guy we have in mind probably falls before that pick and therefore if we pick on need we would either be reaching or could get same player a little later.

Adrian, if you are looking…just take Leek Alleer! He’s what we need.
I’m liking the Welshman, Leek, as well .... we really need more picks!!!!

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

His kicking is ugly but with defenders you can work with that. Sam Taylor has an ugly kicking action but it’s effective enough. Imagine trying to get through Taylor, Haynes and Alleer! Good luck!

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I simply have no idea any more. None.

I'm just hoping Callaghan with the first. Presuming Fahey matched too. Outside of that, I'm not sure I have any idea who I'd even like any more. (Well, probably Rachele, Andrew or Gibcus, but they won't happen.)

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
PM, you see much more junior footy then any of us, your thoughts re Butler in terms of what he offers, can he play from round 1, does he offer defensive pressure and does he kick goals?

I’m a little surprised we haven’t tried to trade up with our 2nd pick and use the future. We have so much collateral to trade back in next year. Maybe it’s the lack of confidence given the limited games played by the VIC kids. Twomey doesn’t seem to think Alleer goes until mid to late 2nd round…unreal to me.

Back